DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:19 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Coming off the critical success of Barb & Star Go to Vista Del Mar, Oscar-nominated writers Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo will reteam on their first adventure with Disney: a live-action untitled Cinderella Evil Stepsisters film. Sources add that at this time it is unknown whether Wiig and Mumolo would also be starring in the film since it’s so early in development. Insiders also add that even if they were to appear in the film down the road, it wouldn’t be as the stepsisters as the plan is for them to be played by younger actresses.

The film is a fairy tale musical comedy that re-imagines the Cinderella classic from the point of view of her infamous evil stepsisters. Spanning their early childhood through the marriage of their universally beloved stepsister and beyond, we follow Anastasia and Drizella Tremaine as they struggle to uphold their family’s legacy.

Wiig and Mumolo, nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Bridesmaids, are currently co-writing the untitled film. Jessica Elbaum and Will Ferrell from Gloria Sanchez Productions will produce.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/04/kristen-wi ... 234735406/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:50 am 
Platinum Edition

This sounds exactly like Amy Poehler's Steps. Plus I'd rather have a movie from the Fairy Godmother's view just because she's my second favorite character. This also sounds exactly like Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. It will probably be funny but, it's got to be different enough from those two other movies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:55 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I didn't know about those other similar projects you mentioned, Disney Duster, but I think this one will be more in line with Maleficent or Cruella. It seems we're already getting to a point where Disney films are getting more than one live-action version. I guess this means we could get a more direct remake of Sleeping Beauty as well. Not that I'm excited about it; I'm just pointing it out. It hadn't occurred to me they could make a movie about the stepsisters. The stepmother seemed like a more likely candidate for a film to me, but it's actually easier to make the stepsisters sympathetic. I think it could be interesting if done well. We'll see if it actually gets made.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

Sort of like if Anastasia's redemption story from the animated film's sequels became a full-fledged movie. I think I'm here for it, depending on how it looks and what the music sounds like. I mean, I was even open to Cruella at first, but it just looks so bad to me.

@D82: I remember pointing out back when to those who were unhappy about Maleficent that they could still make a more traditional version of Sleeping Beauty eventually. That may happen now the Maleficent franchise is done.

David Archuleta ~ "Waiting in the Stars" / "Spotlight Down"
David Archuleta ~ "I'll Never Go" / "Not a Very Good Liar"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:12 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sort of like if Anastasia's redemption story from the animated film's sequels became a full-fledged movie.

Yes, it's true. They already did something similar there.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I remember pointing out back when to those who were unhappy about Maleficent that they could still make a more traditional version of Sleeping Beauty eventually. That may happen now the Maleficent franchise is done.

I rememebered it had been mentioned before, but I didn't think Disney would make more than one live-action version for each film. At least not in a long time. But it seems I was mistaken. Although, I've realized now that there's nothing in the article that confirms it's going to be based on the animated film. I assumed it would be something in the vein of Maleficent or Cruella, but maybe that's not the case and it's more like Into the Woods, where the fairy tales had nothing to do with the Disney versions. So maybe the stepsisters won't be called Anastasia and Drizella or wear pink and green this time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:01 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
Although, I've realized now that there's nothing in the article that confirms it's going to be based on the animated film.

I think this excerpt from the report is as good a confirmation as any.

Quote:
Spanning their early childhood through the marriage of their universally beloved stepsister and beyond, we follow Anastasia and Drizella Tremaine as they struggle to uphold their family’s legacy.

D82 wrote:
So maybe the stepsisters won't be called Anastasia and Drizella or wear pink and green this time.

I think they'll definitely keep the names as a wink to the audience and as a way to maintain a loose connection to the animated film. Keeping their signature colors is less likely though. Personally, I think it's a mistake they're opting for separate adaptations instead of connecting them to their main live-action remakes. Both Godmothered and this one could have easily been reworked as spin-offs to the live-action Cinderella. That alone would have created stronger buzz online and a higher interest from fans. In turn, this would help Disney establish new mini-franchises. It's perplexing that with the success of the MCU, they are still unwilling to go with more interconnectivity between their animated remakes. I'm not suggesting crossovers because such a thing wouldn't make sense in this case, but rather expanding the universe of each remake with additional entries.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:03 am 
Platinum Edition

Yeah, maybe it will be like the Disney Cinderella sequels, and also like Maleficent and Cruella.

Yeah, maybe they can make a faithful Sleeping Beauty adaptation. I would love that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:35 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
I think this excerpt from the report is as good a confirmation as any.

Quote:
Spanning their early childhood through the marriage of their universally beloved stepsister and beyond, we follow Anastasia and Drizella Tremaine as they struggle to uphold their family’s legacy.

Oh, you're right! It looks like I didn't read it very thoroughly. :facepalm: :lol:

Sotiris wrote:
Personally, I think it's a mistake they're opting for separate adaptations instead of connecting them to their main live-action remakes.

I guess it's easier for them to create a separate adaptation because that way they don't have to worry about maintaining the consistency of the characters or the events in the story. For instance, they can make the bad guys more sympathetic and the good guys not so perfect. Personally, I don't know what I prefer, but having two different live-action versions of the characters in such a short period of time will be a bit strange.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:11 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
I guess it's easier for them to create a separate adaptation because that way they don't have to worry about maintaining the consistency of the characters or the events in the story.

Yes, that would require a little more effort and creativity on their part and we know they can't handle that. :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 am 
Collector's Edition

Ooh interesting! Clearly, this is a premise that has been done before. I also immediately thought of 'Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister' (and specifically the TV adaptation, which incorporated more elements from the classic fairytale), but also the novel 'Stepsister' by Jennifer Donnelly, which is more based on the gruesome Grimm version of the fairytale (if you haven't read it, I recommend checking it out, it was released last year I think). I'm curious to see how this version of the premise will handle the story. Based on the creatives involved it seems like this version will be more humorous, which I would be okay with.

Since they're using the names Anastasia and Drizella I hope they also decide to stick closer to the animated movie (or the recent remake). One thing I didn't particularly like about Maleficent is that it wasn't as much a 'this is what happened from Maleficent's point of view' as it was 'the original story is wrong, this is what ACTUALLY happened'. I hope they take the 'Wicked the musical' approach in that they'll still honor the original movie and leave those events intact, but also try to flip the story and show what happened to the stepsisters during those events instead of retconning them (if that makes sense). So that way the original movie and this new movie can exist next to each other, instead of one claiming to be the 'true version of events'.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:59 pm 
Platinum Edition

I actually wouldn't mind if this was connected to the 2015 remake. The actress for one of the stepsisters, the one who played Daisy on Downton Abbey, would be a decent enough actress to carry a redemption story, imo. Plus, we already know she can sing decently because she was great in Galavant, to me anyway. Which stepsister did she play (I hope it was Anastasia)? I think the only barrier to this being connected to the 2015 remake is Blanchett might not be interested to come back and the stepmother would have to play a role. Plus, who knows about Lily James and Richard Madden (or HBC). They all seem to have healthy careers (Madden's in that new Eternals film, right?).

David Archuleta ~ "Waiting in the Stars" / "Spotlight Down"
David Archuleta ~ "I'll Never Go" / "Not a Very Good Liar"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:48 pm 
Collector's Edition

I'm REALLY not interested in that entire "their side of the story" angle, ESPECIALLY not from the evil bullies, justifying their actions or providing a backstory so we end up feeling any sort of sympathy for every single character involved in the same storyline. There are enough fairytales or stories that have never been adapted to the silver screen. Do something original instead of milking every single piece of property they have dry until the last drop. It's starting to become stale and void of any creativity!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:45 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

^I also wish they made more original stories, but personally I prefer this alternate versions to the other kind of remakes. I find them more interesting and less harmful.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Which stepsister did she play (I hope it was Anastasia)?

She played Drizella.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I think the only barrier to this being connected to the 2015 remake is Blanchett might not be interested to come back and the stepmother would have to play a role. Plus, who knows about Lily James and Richard Madden (or HBC). They all seem to have healthy careers (Madden's in that new Eternals film, right?).

That's true; the cast could also be one of the reasons why the film won't be connected to the 2015 remake. Apart from the reason you mentioned, now that Anastasia and Drizella are the protagonists, maybe they want bigger stars to play them. Plus, this film will probably be more comedic, so most likely they also want actors who have more experience in comedy. And though the article says Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo won't be playing the stepsisters, probably they'll want to have some other role in the film. Perhaps one of them will play the stepmother, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 am 
Platinum Edition

I think this should be like an alternate version of the 1950 and 2015 Cinderellas. I don't think they should use the 2015 cast and try to make them change how they were, and how those original movies went down. So, I say alternate version, not Maleficent alternate, it should instead be something closer to the fairy tale we know, but also not the same.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:09 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

It seems somewhat evident to me, given Wiig and Mumolo's involvement, that this probably won't be a traditional remake like the one's we've been getting. I'm guessing this will be a screwball comedy where, even when the characters are portrayed as "young" it will be Wiig and Mumolo in funny school girl costumes. Wait, has any article confirmed they are also starring? I just kind of assume they are.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:07 am 
Platinum Edition

lord-of-sith wrote:
Wait, has any article confirmed they are also starring? I just kind of assume they are.

Yes, the article quoted in the first post. :P

Quote:
Sources add that at this time it is unknown whether Wiig and Mumolo would also be starring in the film since it’s so early in development. Insiders also add that even if they were to appear in the film down the road, it wouldn’t be as the stepsisters as the plan is for them to be played by younger actresses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 pm 
Limited Edition

I don’t want Wiig and Mumolo to star :x

I want Maria Bakalova to play one of the sisters instead !