Tiana (Disney+ Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Tiana (Disney+ Series)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Do you mean you wonder if the Brazilian voice will voice Naveen in the English and Portuguese versions? I didn't know that Bruno stopped acting. Naveen will forever be a favorite of mine, in great part due to the charm Bruno gave him!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The only way I could care about this is if it has good traditional animation, but I feel the same about this as I feel about Moana.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

rodrigo_ca wrote:Bruno retired from acting and became a lawyer little after the release of The Princess and the Frog, so I'm not counting on his return. I wonder if Disney would get the Brazilian voice actor for Naveen (which is not Bruno Campos for some strange reason) or if they'll recast a black actor in the role. (And if Anika doesn't return I'll give up on Disney rotfl but given that she returned for Wifi Ralph, I think we're safe)
I didn't know that about Campos, but still I'd be surprised if he didn't return. Aren't these supposed to be 15 minutes long? It probably wouldn't be a very long series that would continue forever and the prime focus would probably be on Tiana anyway. I think he'd make an exception for this--I hope so anyway.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I'm so glad Tiana is getting more exposure. I've never liked her film and thinks she deserved a much better storyline.

To celebrate the anniversary of The Princess And The Frog's release which opened 11 years ago today, I posted two deleted scenes online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S14sAhUCVV0&t=1s

Enjoy! :wave:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

What didn't you like about The Princess and the Frog?
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I think the film has a serious problem with its pacing.
The motivation of the villain is quite mediocre and not very clear either which is sad because he has charisma and I love his voice. I also think Tiana is quite boring at times and that's a shame.
I really think they had a stronger storyline and development for her but it looks like Disney was too scared to offend anyone and because of that, they made her as plain and safe as possible. That can be seen in all the harsh criticism they got when they announced the film.
I would have loved to see that version of her that was named "Maddy" and worked as a chambermaid. If you check the deleted scene I posted, her character seemed way more interesting and vibrant.

The opening of the film is also very weak to me especially when you compare it to an opening like the one from The Hunchback or Aladdin.
I also have a problem with some of the songs with some of them being unmemorable or just plain useless and unnecessary such as the bayou one.
Even though"Almost there" is a fun and pretty tune, it's my least favorite Disney princess anthem as it doesn't have that WOW factor to it.

What's funny is when I watched this film in L.A on opening day, I remember walking out and thinking that it was literally the best Disney film of all time. It's gradually that I realized that all that love and fascination only came from the fact that I had missed traditional animation so much. The fact that it happened to be the first princess movie that I got to watch in theatre since Mulan also helped, that is if you don't count Enchanted.

Now, I do like the movie okay and some aspects of it are great such as the color scheme, the backgrounds, the chemistry between the leads and of course, I love the character of Charlotte Laboeuf as some of my college mates and professors even called me Charlotte back when I was studying animation. :D
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:This is the show I'm most excited about. Anika HAS to come back, right? I know how much she loves Tiana, so surely she'll come back.
She retweeted the announcement, which seems to indicate she's definitely voicing Tiana in the series.

I don't think Disney has had any trouble bringing back the voices of the Disney Princesses. Jodi Benson, Linda Larkin and Mandy Moore returned to voice their respective princesses for their series and the voice actresses also reprised the roles in the direct-to-video sequels.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
blackcauldron85

^ Thank you! :) I just went onto her Twitter page. It's a RBtI Tiana moment all over again (Anika initially posted the logos of the 4 WDAS shows w/ a generic princess emoji, and she had lighter skin...)
Anika Noni Rose
@AnikaNoniRose
·
Dec 10
Are you all as excited as I am?!?! #PrincessTiana #TianaTheSeries #DisneyPlus
Anika Noni Rose
@AnikaNoniRose
·
Dec 10
I'm not going to delete because you all are amped (as am I!!) But Twitter STAYS changing the color of the Princess (or thumbs, or babies or prayer hands) I choose on my keyboard to that of melanin depletion! Stop thwarting me Twitter!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Considering how Disney has swept The Princess and the Frog under the rug, I thought they weren't going to milk that premise anymore!
I think it had to do with their increased commitment to diversity and the fact they don't have a lot of recent characters that fit the bill.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I used to always think that Tiana, while a pretty name, wasn't a strong enough name to be a title. Sort of like I couldn't imagine Ariel or Belle being titles either.
I like it when they use the protagonist's name as a title, so I wouldn't have a problem if they were called that provided they weren't based on fairytales with well-known titles.
rodrigo_ca wrote: I wonder if Disney would get the Brazilian voice actor for Naveen (which is not Bruno Campos for some strange reason) or if they'll recast a black actor in the role.
I don't think they would recast the role with a Black actor when the character isn't Black. People would be upset by that. I hope Bruno Campos comes back as he gave the character lots of charm. Even though he's a lawyer now, I'm sure he could still do it. It's just voice work. He could even do it remotely without having it affect his day job.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I was about to say that he could probably do it from where he lives. I think Awkwafina's talked about voice acting that way.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Have you guys seen this video? It`s fan-made of course, but I liked it`s visual style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cB6vlLmbms&t=115s
blackcauldron85

^ I really like that style. Yes please! Anika is too cute!!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

another good thing about PATF/Tiana getting a series...maybe they'll re-release the "making of" art book that's OOP and impossible to find now. :up:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

If this is the future of hand drawn animation? Small projects and TV series on Disney Plus, will you be satisfied or will you still be disappointed that that there are no longer theatrical releases?

How would you feel if the series turns out to not be hand drawn, but CGI or flat CGI or whatever, will you be disappointed? Will you still watch it?

Does Disney have the means to make it hand drawn? I know they still had those desks when they made Mini Maui, and I think RBTI also had hand drawn characters (I don't remember), and Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn still work there, don't they? So in theory this can be accomplished, can't it?
JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JTurner »

farerb wrote:If this is the future of hand drawn animation? Small projects and TV series on Disney Plus, will you be satisfied or will you still be disappointed that that there are no longer theatrical releases?
I don't think any of us can answer that question because none of us really knows for sure. No one does. However, I do not think 2D animation will be gone from cinema forever. Slowly but surely it is making a comeback. Sure, Disney may not be investing in it at the moment, but there have been some noteworthy efforts which did make impressions: Klaus and recently, Wolfwakers. Both of these projects ultimately went to streaming, but they still had theatrical showings. Audience reaction was positive for both. I feel that there are two possibilities for 2D to be relevant again, but it will have to be gradual, not instant.

1) Find a more cost-effective way to do still quality 2D animation. I recently saw a Japanese animated short animated primarily using ToonBoom and paperless animation. It still looked great and had an effective look. Klaus, too, showed that 2D animation can be achieved through a less expensive measure. The budget for that film was, from what I understand, $40 million.

2) Awareness for 2D has to grow. Streaming is IMO, a small stepping stone for it to return to relevance. The more we see quality efforts like this on streaming, the more we'll likely see some go to theaters. Also, some audiences seem to be getting tired of 3D animation; there was a Tom and Jerry movie which used a 2D aesthetic, and while it is by no means a great movie, it still made its budget back, from what I understand. So it is still possible to do it. Again, it's a matter of being less costly and for having an effective story to go with it.

Things have gone out of style before, only to make an unexpected comeback. Case in point: vinyl. It went out of style for years, and now it's making a comeback. The same thing seems to be happening with 2D. That said, I think the journey to theatrical will take time, and Disney might not be one of the first ones to do it (Warner Bros., oddly enough, is, as evidenced with Space Jam: A New Legacy). Once again, I don't know anymore than you, but I wouldn't say for sure that this is Disney's permament future. Things change, and perhaps one day 2D will be a thing again at Disney. Will it happen overnight? No. But I wouldn't give up on it forever.
How would you feel if the series turns out to not be hand drawn, but CGI or flat CGI or whatever, will you be disappointed? Will you still watch it?
I have grown frightfully tired of 3D animation lately. I'd rather see 2D animation. If Tiana turns out to be CG I will not be interested in the least.
Does Disney have the means to make it hand drawn? I know they still had those desks when they made Mini Maui, and I think RBTI also had hand drawn characters (I don't remember), and Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn still work there, don't they? So in theory this can be accomplished, can't it?
Oh, I REALLY don't know the answer to these questions.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I don't think they would recast the role with a Black actor when the character isn't Black. People would be upset by that. I hope Bruno Campos comes back as I hate recasting and he gave the character lots of charm. Even though he's a lawyer now, I'm sure he could still do it. It's just voice work. He could even do it remotely without having it to affect his day job.
I agree. Naveeen was simply one of the best characters from the movie. He was a very charismatic and enjoyable Prince, both as a human and frog. It`s a pity if he gets recast with another actor.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

They should have kept the film called 'The Frog Princess' at least then it would've kept the quirkiness of the actual film. 'Princess and the Frog' implies more classic fairytale, though it was rather more irreverent.

If anything, Tangled was more classical & serious.
Disney's Divinity

That's true. When seeing The Frog Princess, people would've thought of "The Frog Prince" tale and immediately think that the film must be a "twist" of sorts on that tale, which would fit with it being set in 1920's America.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

To be honest, they should have named the film "Frogs"... It's silly but it gets the job done. :|
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

FIRST LOOK Concept Art: The new long-form musical series, directed and written by Stella Meghie, comes to #DisneyPlus in 2023. The series follows newly crowned Princess of Maldonia on a new adventure, but her New Orleans past isn’t far behind

HQ Artwork: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEAZ9kAVIAw ... name=large

https://www.facebook.com/ThePrincessand ... 7764513709