Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Frozen 2

Post by Farerb »

I think Anna and Kristoff's wedding could be a good short unless they want to keep that for Frozen III. I don't understand why they focus on Olaf so much, I thought his latest short was fine but nothing that hasn't been done before. Maybe it has something to do with Jennifer Lee not producing them, I remember that she said in an interview that she doesn't consider them canonical to the films (though the snowgies were featured in Frozen II so maybe Frozen Fever is an exception because she was involved in it?).
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Can Frozen II not be canonical?

By the way Atlanica great idea for a short!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I said that she said it about the shorts, not Frozen II.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:That surprises me. I thought the first film had a better soundtrack although I loved this one's, too. I guess it's because "Frozen" is a huge property now versus a breakout with the first film?
I think it may be the reason. Frozen is now such a huge property and thus it equals success.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb, I was making a joke. I was wishing Frozen II wasn't canonical because I think it's bad. :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Frozen 2 has been nominated for two Grammy Awards:
Best Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media

“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” (Various Artists)

“Bill & Ted Face The Music” (Various Artists)

“Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire Saga” (Various Artists)

“Frozen 2” (Various Artists)

“Jojo Rabbit” (Various Artists)

Best Song Written For Visual Media

“Beautiful Ghosts [From Cats]” — Andrew Lloyd Webber & Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift)

“Carried Me With You [From Onward]” — Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth & Tim Hanseroth, songwriters (Brandi Carlile)

“Into the Unknown [From Frozen 2]” — Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez, songwriters (Idina Menzel & Aurora)

“No Time to Die [From No Time To Die]” — Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas Baird O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)

“Stand Up [From Harriet]” Joshuah Brian Campbell & Cynthia Erivo, songwriters (Cynthia Erivo)
Source: https://variety.com/2020/music/news/202 ... 234838878/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Animator Alexander Snow talks a bit about animating Olaf:
Animators React to Bad & Great CGi
https://youtu.be/Z1xcEoyELvg
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Animator Alexander Snow talks a bit about animating Olaf:
Animators React to Bad & Great CGi
https://youtu.be/Z1xcEoyELvg
Thanks for sharing that video! It was very interesting to hear how he animated those shots. And I never noticed Olaf couldn't bend his arms. It must've been very difficult to animate him with a limitation like that.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Exclusive: ‘Frozen’ VR Short ‘Myth’ Debuts on Disney+ in February
https://collider.com/myth-a-frozen-tale ... sney-plus/
And up until now, you’d only been able to experience “Myth” if you were at the premiere, visited Walt Disney Animation Studios (during the before time, like I did) or owned a consumer-grade Oculus VR headset (it was released earlier this year). That all changes now, as we can exclusively reveal that “Myth: A Frozen Tale” will be headed to Disney+ in a unique “flat” version on February 26.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

So I've watched Frozen II once more. Well, actually I had it on while I was working and while it's better than the last time I gave it a shot, I still find it extremely bland. I still have no emotional connection to the characters and the overall feeling is that it just seems to be a direct-to-video film with an insane budget. I'd even say that I've had a better connection to Melody (Little mermaid II) or Madellaine (Hunchback II) than any of the characters that are present in Frozen II.

I still hate that Kristoff tune that everyone seems to adore so maybe there is something wrong with me but I still think the joke is running for way too long and the sequence has no business being in a Disney film, let alone a fairy tale one. If the same thing was done in a Non Disney project, say The Swan Princess for example, people would for sure laugh at it rather than with it.

Also, when I watched the original, I thought Olaf would be for sure this obnoxious side-kick but at the end, I didn't mind him at all and he ended up having some very cute moments. However, in this film, I could not stand him and it's pretty clear that they gave Josh Gad carte blanche to come up with stuff but none of it works for me. On a positive note, most of the songs are quite lovely and the animation is beautiful.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

To me what differentiate Frozen II from the DTV (besides the production values) is that it does have an interesting ideas behind it was executed badly and it was very unfocused. But didn't you have a connection with them in the first? Shouldn't this connection continue? I didn't feel anything towards any character in any of the DTV.

My opinion towards the soundtrack has somewhat changed over the last year, I really liked it at first and I still do a little, but I'd also say it's one of the weakest soundtracks ever released for a Disney film, and even forgettable. With the exception of Some Things Never Change, each character gets a ballad (and I know some think that they didn't try to recreate Let it Go, but I actually think they did, four times), thus none of the songs really stands out. Kristoff's song is fine in and out of itself, it just doesn't fit with the movie itself - if you have to pause the film in order to have a 80's rock ballad then it's probably unnecessary, and this is the main issue - their approach to creating the songs for this movie doesn't seem to consider if the songs fit the narrative or the character development and emotions. The songs should play a part in the story otherwise they are completely pointless. The only song that does its job properly is Show Yourself.

However, The Next Right Thing is just a failure on all accounts, it's not catchy, it's not fun to sing, it's all over the place. This song needs to stand together with other Princesses' songs like A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes, Part of Your World, Just Around the Riverbend, Reflection, How Far I'll Go, etc... and it's just... the worst Disney Princess song ever written.

I feel the same about Olaf. Liked him in the first film, didn't care for him in the second one.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Redadoodles wrote:I'd even say that I've had a better connection to Melody (Little mermaid II) or Madellaine (Hunchback II) than any of the characters that are present in Frozen II.
Really? That`s the very first time I`ve ever heard someone say something positive about Hunchback II! For all of it`s faults, Madellaine is a very relatable character, due to her insecurity. And yeah, it makes her a better match for Quasimodo.
I still hate that Kristoff tune that everyone seems to adore so maybe there is something wrong with me but I still think the joke is running for way too long and the sequence has no business being in a Disney film, let alone a fairy tale one. If the same thing was done in a Non Disney project, say The Swan Princess for example, people would for sure laugh at it rather than with it.
You`re not the only one. I didn`t hate Lost in The Woods, but it felt extremely out of place. The song was pretty generic and the execution of the scene was extremely anachronistic.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

farerb wrote: However, The Next Right Thing is just a failure on all accounts, it's not catchy, it's not fun to sing, it's all over the place. This song needs to stand together with other Princesses' songs like A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes, Part of Your World, Just Around the Riverbend, Reflection, How Far I'll Go, etc... and it's just... the worst Disney Princess song ever written.
Oh my goodness, YES. I really dislike that song and that scene. It tries so hard, too hard and does nothing for me.
farerb wrote:You`re not the only one. I didn`t hate Lost in The Woods, but it felt extremely out of place. The song was pretty generic and the execution of the scene was extremely anachronistic.
It is very out of place and stops the film which was already boring up to that point.
Last edited by Redadoodles on Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I was glancing back through this thread, and it's funny that almost a year to the day, "The Next Right Thing" was the subject of the thread 15-18th of January 2020, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I was glancing back through this thread, and it's funny that almost a year to the day, "The Next Right Thing" was the subject of the thread 15-18th of January 2020, too.
Really? :lol: How funny! :) What a synergy! :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A manga adaptation of the film is coming on February 09, 2021. You can read an interview with the author, here.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Frozen-2-Manga-A ... 197471585X
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wow, that is gorgeous.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Really? That`s the very first time I`ve ever heard someone say something positive about Hunchback II! For all of it`s faults, Madellaine is a very relatable character, due to her insecurity. And yeah, it makes her a better match for Quasimodo.
I actually like Madellaine a lot. I've always liked her design which is simple and yet very effective. Kevin Gollaher (Who storyboarded Hunchback II) told me that Jennifer Love Hewitt greatly influenced the character and that if she ends up being likable in the end, it is really thanks to Jennifer who was really committed to the role.
I also like Madellaine's insecurity. Indeed, her insecurity is handled very well in the film while Anna's insecurity in Frozen II is poorly handled. Anna comes off as psychotic, annoying and paranoid which is a shame because she was not like that in the first film. The fact that Anna's song in Frozen II does nothing for me, doesn't help either.
farerb wrote:I think Anna and Kristoff's wedding could be a good short unless they want to keep that for Frozen III. I don't understand why they focus on Olaf so much, I thought his latest short was fine but nothing that hasn't been done before. Maybe it has something to do with Jennifer Lee not producing them, I remember that she said in an interview that she doesn't consider them canonical to the films (though the snowgies were featured in Frozen II so maybe Frozen Fever is an exception because she was involved in it?).
So if I'm not crazy, Anna is the only Disney queen that has that title without being married?
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Redadoodles wrote:
So if I'm not crazy, Anna is the only Disney queen that has that title without being married?
Elsa was the first Queen without being married.

Merida was the second Queen without being married.

Jasmine was the third, and then married afterwards.

Aurora was the fourth, and then married afterwards.

Anna would be the fifth one.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

bruno_wbt wrote:
Redadoodles wrote:
Elsa was the first Queen without being married.

Merida was the second Queen without being married.

Jasmine was the third, and then married afterwards.

Aurora was the fourth, and then married afterwards.

Anna would be the fifth one.
Of course, I didn't mention Elsa because it was clear from the start that she would have no love interest. As for the rest and aside from Anna, you seem to base those facts on your own vision of how things happened after the end of those girls's respective films. I do not consider Elle Fanning's Aurora for this either.