The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Redadoodles »

Redadoodles wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:
This is my version of Halle Bailey as Ariel.. :D

Holy crap, she's beautiful. :o :o :o [/quote]

Thank you so much!
Last edited by Redadoodles on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It is a well-drawn image.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney’s Live-Action ‘The Little Mermaid’ Looking to Start Production Late November or Early December
https://thedisinsider.com/2020/11/06/di ... -december/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Cool! I guess we can rule out the possibility that the film could be released ext year then :D
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Gosh finally ! At last, how exciting :)

The Batman has been filming all ok up in Liverpool, so I did wonder when this one will be started.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Melissa McCarthy Gives Update on Playing Ursula in Live-Action Little Mermaid: 'It’s Just So Fun'
https://people.com/movies/melissa-mccar ... st-so-fun/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

First it was November or December. Now it's January. They better get on with making this freakin' movie!
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote:Melissa McCarthy Gives Update on Playing Ursula in Live-Action Little Mermaid: 'It’s Just So Fun'
I only hope she takes it seriously. There's something about actors in Disney productions of their animated films that causes actors to act like they're just dressing up for Halloween. Especially when it comes to Disney villains like Ursula or Maleficent who have elaborate outfits, it's like they don't even try and way overdo it.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
D82 wrote:Melissa McCarthy Gives Update on Playing Ursula in Live-Action Little Mermaid: 'It’s Just So Fun'
I only hope she takes it seriously. There's something about actors in Disney productions of their animated films that causes actors to act like they're just dressing up for Halloween. Especially when it comes to Disney villains like Ursula or Maleficent who have elaborate outfits, it's like they don't even try and way overdo it.
Whether you enjoyed the movies or not (and I completely understand those who don't) I think it's unfair to say that Maleficent was portrayed as a halloween costume and "way overdone." Jolie was fully committed to the role and took it very seriously, and I think that shows in her performances. Are the scripts pulpy and often cheesy? Yes. But Jolie committed to it 100%. Now, Mila Kunis in Oz on the other hand...
Disney's Divinity

lord-of-sith wrote: Whether you enjoyed the movies or not (and I completely understand those who don't) I think it's unfair to say that Maleficent was portrayed as a halloween costume and "way overdone." Jolie was fully committed to the role and took it very seriously, and I think that shows in her performances. Are the scripts pulpy and often cheesy? Yes. But Jolie committed to it 100%. Now, Mila Kunis in Oz on the other hand...
Oh, no, I agree on Jolie. Even though the movie was sort of a twist on the character, she was as stoic and cold as the character should be. A perfect cast, imo. I guess I was thinking of, say, Chenoweth in Descendants or whoever that actress was on OUAT who played Maleficent. They were both really bad. I'm hoping McCarthy plays the role seriously, like Jolie, Luke Evans, Lana Parilla, or Victoria Smurfit (for examples). Or Rachel Weisz since you brought up Oz. I thought Kunis was really bad, too.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney's Divinity wrote:It is a well-drawn image.
Just saw this. Thank you. :wave:
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
lord-of-sith wrote: Whether you enjoyed the movies or not (and I completely understand those who don't) I think it's unfair to say that Maleficent was portrayed as a halloween costume and "way overdone." Jolie was fully committed to the role and took it very seriously, and I think that shows in her performances. Are the scripts pulpy and often cheesy? Yes. But Jolie committed to it 100%. Now, Mila Kunis in Oz on the other hand...
Oh, no, I agree on Jolie. Even though the movie was sort of a twist on the character, she was as stoic and cold as the character should be. A perfect cast, imo. I guess I was thinking of, say, Chenoweth in Descendants or whoever that actress was on OUAT who played Maleficent. They were both really bad. I'm hoping McCarthy plays the role seriously, like Jolie, Luke Evans, Lana Parilla, or Victoria Smurfit (for examples). Or Rachel Weisz since you brought up Oz. I thought Kunis was really bad, too.
I think McCarthy will give us the goods, but I understand the concern. McCarthy seems to thrive based on who her director is. Paul Feig got comedic gold out of her in Bridesmaids, The Heat, and Spy, while Marielle Heller made one of my favorite all time movies Can You Ever Forgive Me? which got McCarthy another Oscar nom. That being said, Rob Marshall has a very spotty history with directing actors in musicals. He's gotten many good performances, but it's hard to say whether or not that was a direct result of his direction. McCarthy's casting on paper isn't exactly a slam-dunk like Jolie's or Blanchett's, but she definitely has the skills to be great. Only time will tell!

I think of this very similarly to Emma Stone in the upcoming Cruella. Stone has more than proven her worth as an actress in various genres, but playing a Disney Villainess is its own genre, and many have failed to live up to (or expand on) the animated versions. I'm excited to see what she does with the role, but I also understand those that are worried.
Disney's Divinity

lord-of-sith wrote:McCarthy's casting on paper isn't exactly a slam-dunk like Jolie's or Blanchett's, but she definitely has the skills to be great. Only time will tell!
I agree. She definitely has it in her to do the role well, it'll just come down to whether that comes to fruition or not.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
lord-of-sith wrote:McCarthy's casting on paper isn't exactly a slam-dunk like Jolie's or Blanchett's, but she definitely has the skills to be great. Only time will tell!
I agree. She definitely has it in her to do the role well, it'll just come down to whether that comes to fruition or not.
I don’t personally think it’ll even come down to McCarthy. It’ll be the directors choice whether she plays the role as creepy and malevolent or campy and not intimidating. She’s got the acting skills for it. I’m just worried they won’t allow her to really make her nasty like the character needs to be. I could be wrong, but the studio really loves to sanitize things as of late.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Well, there might be hope with Mulan's poor reception. Disney might actually respect the mythology of each character with this adaptation.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

nomad2010 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree. She definitely has it in her to do the role well, it'll just come down to whether that comes to fruition or not.
I don’t personally think it’ll even come down to McCarthy. It’ll be the directors choice whether she plays the role as creepy and malevolent or campy and not intimidating. She’s got the acting skills for it. I’m just worried they won’t allow her to really make her nasty like the character needs to be. I could be wrong, but the studio really loves to sanitize things as of late.
It's a tough balance to find. I think Ursula is very campy while also being creepy and intimidating. The balance is just right in the original film. The Broadway version of Ursula leans much campier and less threatening. We shall see. I am very curious as to what they'll make her look like. Something tells me she won't be purple, but that's me just speculating. I'm much more concerned about Sebastian's appearance.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

My biggest concern regarding this film is the climax.
Eric NEEDS to save the day to prove to Triton that he was wrong about the humans and to realize that Eric is worthy of his daughter. If the prince doesn't save the day then he's completely useless in the film. Ariel already saves him twice prior to the battle so she doesn't need to be in charge of getting rid of Ursula. We have plenty of moments of Ariel being a modern woman in the film, no need for her to replace Eric at the end just to fit in with the feminist agenda.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Redadoodles wrote:My biggest concern regarding this film is the climax.
Eric NEEDS to save the day to prove to Triton that he was wrong about the humans and to realize that Eric is worthy of his daughter. If the prince doesn't save the day then he's completely useless in the film. Ariel already saves him twice prior to the battle so she doesn't need to be in charge of getting rid of Ursula. We have plenty of moments of Ariel being a modern woman in the film, no need for her to replace Eric at the end just to fit in with the feminist agenda.
Oh, I completely disagree. I don’t think Eric needs to prove anything to King Triton and I’ve never interpreted that scene that way— I think Prince Eric saves the day against Giant Ursula because that’s what happened in Sleeping Beauty which those animators grew up with.

Now, I love The Little Mermaid but I think one of its faults is the ending. It’s not Eric’s story— it’s Ariel’s. I think it would be a much more powerful ending to have Ariel solve her problems and prove to King Triton that she can watch out for herself and fix her own problems. That’s the heart of the story— the father/daughter relationship.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Redadoodles wrote:My biggest concern regarding this film is the climax.
Oh, I completely disagree. I don’t think Eric needs to prove anything to King Triton and I’ve never interpreted that scene that way— I think Prince Eric saves the day against Giant Ursula because that’s what happened in Sleeping Beauty which those animators grew up with.

Now, I love The Little Mermaid but I think one of its faults is the ending. It’s not Eric’s story— it’s Ariel’s. I think it would be a much more powerful ending to have Ariel solve her problems and prove to King Triton that she can watch out for herself and fix her own problems. That’s the heart of the story— the father/daughter relationship.
I disagree. I don't mind Ariel helping Eric but he needs to get rid of Ursula otherwise he's completely useless in the story. There's really not much to him to begin with and some of his dialogue is questionable but he gets a pass because he saves the day. By killing Ursula and saving Ariel (and Triton's kindgom) he clearly shows that Triton's racism was completely wrong.
Disney's Divinity

I agree that ultimately Ursula is a problem Ariel creates--much in the way Aladdin causes Jafar's takeover--and should be solved by her. That's one of the few things they could improve on the film. Eric's purpose in the film is to be a catalyst for Ariel's decision-making. Killing Ursula has never stopped most viewers from dismissing Eric as boring and forgettable just like the Walt princes. Aladdin and the Beast are where the Renaissance finally gave Disney some interesting male characters.

And, anyway, Triton and Eric never even speak to one another. Triton's attitude is changed by the lengths Ariel went to to get what she wanted. "She really does love him, doesn't she?" Well, that, and his freakout when Ariel disappeared after he destroyed her grotto and nearly lost her to Ursula probably helped him see what's most important.