New Blu-ray/DVD Thread XVIII - Spending, We Wrote

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: New Blu-ray/DVD Thread XVIII - Spending, We Wrote

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not sure. I sent off the paper filling out my choices the other day, so it hasn't been done yet. I'm nervous because I assume my password and everything will stay the same? I can call the 1-800 number if there's any problems, so not too worried. I guess the one thing is I won't be VIP anymore (for a while), but I didn't buy anything else after I completed my membership agreement last time anyway even with the VIP offers... So for me, I don't think there will be a downside? The offer to re-enroll also said Free Shipping for all my future orders (which the fine print says can stop at any time. :P ). It could be a while before those first movies come in the mail.

And if they end up sending me another offer to re-enroll in 6 months' time and I only have to buy three films (one of which is half-price if you get it right away), I might do it again just to finish out my collection. :D I was tempted to get Aladdin the re-make, but I didn't want to waste this deal on re-makes. In ten years, those movies won't cost much on Amazon anyway, I'm guessing, whereas the originals will always be high. I didn’t want to buy Cinderella for a long time holding out on a proper restoration, but that’s probably never gonna happen, so I went ahead and got it. And I love the Signature covers for Cinderella and PP—better to buy them with covers I like, I guess!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Absolutely, getting them with a deal and covers you like is a plus. Are you keeping your previous versions? When I went Blu, I did research on this site and Blu-ray.com to compare bonus features, and I kept the DVDs with features that didn't transfer, and sold the rest, making it a little easier to justify rebuying these movies.
Disney's Divinity

I keep nearly everything I buy, since I really don't have that many movies anyway. Leaving aside animated films like Disney, most of my DVDs or Blu-rays are TV shows or anime really. I do own some live-action films, but they're much rarer for me. Plus, a lot of those old releases have nice covers, slipcovers, or packaging as well as bonus features that probably weren't carried over. I know to expect all of Disney's new releases to be barebones.

There were some Disney films I never even got on DVD though, like The Aristocats, The Rescuers, Hunchback, several shorts films or Pooh features that I only bought for the first time on Blu-ray. But I still have VHS copies that I could watch, so it was never really a hurry until now, with me worrying that physical releases will start diminishing altogether for Disney because of streaming.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I think if you can afford it, it's smart to replace those VHSs, because if those break, and Disney is no longer selling physical media, it may be more expensive buying DVDs/Blu secondhand.

Crazy that we're talking about the end of days for physical media; people wondered this a decade or more ago but we still have it, but with the Streaming Wars™®, who knows how long we have.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

-Birds of Prey SteelBook

...by the way, when I watched it on theaters wasn´t what I expected, know the problems it has but didn´t think it was as awful as people claimed it to be either. Still, after owning it and having watched it 2 times already again I´ve started to really enjoy it more and more.

-Ralph Breaks the Internet

-Frozen 2

With that, I have my Classics up to date (in Spain, where we´re still missing The Great Mouse Detective and both Winnie Pooh movies).

As for Pixar, I still need Toy Story 4 and Onward.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I got my first paycheck (in awhile....) today and I ordered a few things.

Hocus Pocus 4K Best Buy exclusive— this will be the 4th copy of this movie I own. I have the old DVD, the first Blu Ray, the remastered anniversary Blu Ray, and now this. I don’t usually buy special steelbooks (the only other time I’ve gone out of my way to buy the steelbook was for the 80th anniversary edition of The Wizard of Oz— and only because the standard edition was especially ugly!), but I liked this cover and for as many copies of HP that I own, I’m sick and tired of them using the same cover!

Jaws: 45th Anniversary Edition 4K— I’ve never bought Jaws on any format although I like the movie.

Roman Holiday Blu-ray- This is the most exciting Blu-ray release of 2020 so far IMHO! I can’t believe it’s taken this long but it’s finally here. I almost bought the DVD earlier this year, but after Paramount announced their new line of collectible movies with never-before-released titles, I had a suspicion Roman Holiday might see a release. And I was right! Can’t wait to have this one in my hands!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's great to hear that you also buy 4K films. I also have the 80th anniversary edition of The Wizard of Oz, but the standard one, not the steelbook.
I haven't bought anything new since Star Wars came out in April, well I actually bought The Princess Bride from Turbine, but there was a problem with the disc and I'm waiting for a replacement.
I'm looking forward to The Lord of the Rings which is supposed to come out in December though nothing official yet and the original Mulan. And hopefully Fantasia and The Jungle Book will be released this year so I could finally complete The Signature Collection.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Re: Oz 80th. Do you have strong feelings about that cover? I think the composition is off and I hate how they seem to throw every single iconic detail of the movie into one image. I find it really chaotic and unappealing. Especially because that is one of the most beautiful movies ever made. The only other time I’ve felt so strongly about a cover was Snow White’s Diamond edition with the Old Hag in the center— its my personal conspiracy theory that this was done deliberately to ensure high sales for the studio’s first Blu-ray release in a DVD case (with Snow White in the center, which is the copy I own).

I hate to hear about your Princess Bride disc. I bought a DVD (The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex) earlier this year that was all scratched up. I’ve tried tooth paste and furniture polish (since it’s a DVD, thankfully I’ve never had an issue with a Blu) but it’s pretty badly scratched. The disc didn’t cost much so I think I will just buy another copy and toss out the old one.

I started buying 4K back in 2016 or 2017 to “future proof” my collection. When we recently moved, my parents bought a nice, big 4K TV. I’ve watched some streaming titles on 4K on that TV— and I will be able to buy a 4K Blu-ray player sooner rather than later now.

I also haven’t bought many movies this year, in part because I haven’t been able to, but I also haven’t been as tempted. The only new release I can remember really wanting over the summer was that copy of Jaws. Although, I do have a Disney Movie Club cart full of 4K Pixar titles (including Onward) which I’d like to buy. I’ve already bought all the DACs released on 4K and if after I buy the Pixar movies, I finish up the Star Wars movies on 4K, I will be pretty much be finished with Buena Vista titles outside of new titles and 4K catalogue releases... assuming those things still happen.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't care much for the cover, I'm used to covers being bad or lazy at this point, but I agree that that wasn't a good cover at all.

Regarding the Princess Bride disc, it had an encoding problem and it happened to others as well so Turbine sent out replacements, which is good of them, but unfortunately mine hasn't arrived yet and they haven't provided a tracking info so I honestly don't know where it is. I'll probably contact them next week.

I left my parents at 2016 and went to live with a roommate, which he brought the TV - it was a 3D TV, not 4K. But after two years I found my own place and bought a 4K TV. I've been collecting 4K films since 2018 and I think my first ones were Coco, Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. Ever since my collection grew with mostly Disney and Pixar films. I usually buy the standard editions because getting the exclusive can be expensive for me since I don't live in the US, but I did get some steelbooks for some, mainly the films I especially love. I have The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King, which I immediately bought as they came out. And I saw Moana being sold relatively cheaply (30$) on Amazon so I got that as well and recently I saw Frozen for 16$ which is a must, I guess if I ever see WALL-E or Tangled at these prices then I'll get them as well.

So you own Beauty and the Beast in 4K? What did you think about the colors?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

farerb wrote:So you own Beauty and the Beast in 4K? What did you think about the colors?
I’m going to reserve final judgment until I see the disc— but based on the 4K digital copy that I’ve seen, I think it looks a little more like the original theatrical release, but still looks very much like the rosy print that dates back to the Platinum Edition. For example, I think Belle’s hair does look a nice deep brown now as opposed to the reddish brown I grew up with, but other things appear unchanged— Mrs Potts more rose than white. It’s just weird to me, I don’t know what’s going on with those colors... I remember the pics you took of your BATB in 4K and I thought it looked beautiful... so I’ll let you know when I get a 4K player and can try it out.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

My replacement disc of The Princess Bride has arrived today :)
Disney's Divinity

Missing Link Blu-ray - $9.99
Paddington Blu-ray - $5

I'll get Paddington 2 eventually when it hits $5, too. They're such charming movies I watch all the time when they're on TV; they just give you a dose of positivity when you're feeling down. As for the other one, I haven't seen Missing Link yet. But I don't feel bad taking that chance because I trust Laika. Even if I don't love the film, it'll still be a film worth owning going by their record so far, and that's the price I was waiting on. :D
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

My copy of Scream Factory's Friday the 13th box set came a day before my birthday (PS, I'm now 30 years old!!!)! :D

WONDERFUL box set, Scream's greatest opus, and a labor of love between them and Paramount and New Line/Warner!

There are however some errors on Parts 3, 9, and 10, but luckily, Scream Factory is looking into them:

https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/stat ... 4898433024
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

All from the Disney Movie Club

Mulan 4K (1998)
Mulan 4K (2020)
A Christmas Carol BD (1984)
George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker DVD

I was going to buy Mulan 2020 at Walmart but the DMC 4K bundle with the original movie was a cheaper option.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I got a 4K Blu-ray player this Christmas so I finally watched the BATB disc. I tried to find those photos you took of your 4K copy farerb but I couldn’t find them.

To my eyes, I think it definitely still looks like that 2002 rosy/yellowy Platinum print, but there are some differences. Belle’s hair is darker throughout the movie and a lot of the whites look whiter, or grayer, instead of pink or yellow.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

What TV do you own?

I can tell you that my TV settings are Movie mode (or Filmmaker mode on some TVs). I have a 4K Samsung TV and these are my settings:

HDR:
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 25
Tint: 0
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Local Dimming: Low
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Colour Tone: Warm 2
ST.2084: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Colour Space Settings: Auto

Another question is how do you expect the film to look like? Because I know there are people who expect it to look like the laserdisc or the VHS, and I can say that it doesn't look like them (nor do I think it should). It's definitely brighter then them but less bright than the Blu-ray, but I don't find it pink and I think it has a better contrast.

I know there's the work-in-progress from the Blu-ray and some screenshots from an incomplete fan restoration that look even darker than the laserdisc/VHS (to the point where you barely see some of the backgrounds), but I never expected it to look as dark as them (also 35mm will have higher contrast and gamma - the difference will be similar to all the caps films, not just Beauty and the Beast):

So no it doesn't look like the 35mm, but none of them do. I did watch the WIP with my sister the other day, and she said that the film was never this dark when she saw it in theaters back in 1992 (she was 13 at that time).

I did try to do some investigating with BTS features and the art book and such and this is what I found:

And I do think it is much closer to these than anything that was released prior, and it does resemble the DCP I saw in theaters two years ago.
I think I've researched this color issue since 2017, and I think in the end of day it has become very subjective, anyone has their own idea as to what Beauty and the Beast should look like. As for the HDR - I don't think that Beauty and the Beast was treated that differently than other CAPS films, I just think that the CAPS to 35mm transfer had probably more effects than other films, probably because it's the oldest film, so when I say that I think that the HDR is closer to what I think are the accurate colors, I mean what I think the colors were in CAPS, not in the 35mm (or the VHS or the laserdisc) (and it's true to other CAPS films as well). I do think the Blu-ray and Platinum Edition don't look good, mainly because they have the brightness increased and the gamma decreased (issues that I personally don't see in the HDR), but it has been almost 20 years of people complaining about Beauty and the Beast colors and transfers that I think people probably won't except anything that doesn't resemble the VHS/laserdisc, even though I always thought that the "correct" (I don't even know if it's a word that I can use in this situation anymore) way was something in the middle, meaning that it doesn't lack any shadows (like it does in the DVD and Blu-ray), but it also doesn't have "black crush", you're able to see the backgrounds and it still looks "lively" (which I thought were issues in the VHS and the laserdisc).
So like I've said before, I think in the end it has become a matter of taste and anyone should find the version they are most content with. I'm personally happy with the HDR (it might not be 100% accurate but I think most things aren't when it comes to Disney) I do think it's better than the Blu-ray, and I've watched the laserdisc for so long and I had issues with it as well that I'm just glad I can retire it now.
Last edited by Farerb on Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Anyway, disregard the old photos, I pictured my phone back then because I had no way of seeing them on my TV and I took them from my car when it was dark.
Here are newer ones of my TV I just took:

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I received Bluey Season 1 The First Half from Amazon today.

DVD-R disc as part of BBC's MOD program. A head's up that the framerate is faster that what's shown on Disney Junior but that's because that's the CORRECT framerate (the Disney Junior broadcasts/DisneyNow slows the framerate for 1080p/NTSC. The sound pitch for both framerates however are in the CORRECT pitch) and a selection of these episodes (BBQ and Markets for example) are the US versions which replaces a selections of words like in the former ("capsicum" to "pepper") and removes certain scenes like in the latter (I won't go into specifics).

Not a problem though if you prefer those versions over the Australian ones.
Disney's Divinity

Just to let anyone reading know, there's a 20% off sale on some anime (select items) and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free Sale (on select items, including some other anime, games, etc.) at Amazon. It's all pretty random. Also a Buy 2 Get 1 Free Sale at Target, too, on random items. Just thought I'd let everyone know who might have things to buy. :)

Hetty Wainthropp Investigates Complete Series DVD (used) $28
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert Blu-ray $13
Tenchi Universe DVD $22 (20% off)
Fairy Tail Collection 8 Blu-ray $21 (20% off)
My Hero Academia Season 2 Blu-ray $35 (B2G1)
My Hero Academia Season 3 Blu-ray $35 (B2G1 -- Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory for PS4 was my third item.)
My Hero Academia: Two Heroes Blu-ray $8 (20%)

I didn't get all these at the same time; it was over the past two months. I had my eye on Black Butler: Book of Circus and Black Butler: Book of Murder OVA's, too, but I think I've spent enough. :P It's too bad the early seasons of Merlin on Blu-ray are harder to find than the last two seasons. :(
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Turned in a box of old DVDs (mostly titles I didn’t like anymore or DVDs that I had upgraded to Blu) this morning at a used book store. Picked up a couple titles while I was there:

12 Angry Men Criterion Blu
Mary Poppins Best Buy Steelbook Blu
Crazy Rich Asians 4K