Magic Camp

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Magic Camp

Post by Disneyphile »

Presto! Steve Martin is returning to Disney.

The actor-comedian is in final negotiations to star in Magic Camp, a family comedy the studio is developing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... eys-727139
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Steve Martin in Disney's "Magic Camp"

Post by Sotiris »

While originally planned for theatrical exhibition, Magic Camp is being released on Disney's streaming service in fall 2019.
In post-production and bound for the streaming service are the Mark Waters-directed Magic Camp.
Source: http://deadline.com/2018/02/disney-stre ... 202281846/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:While originally planned for theatrical exhibition, Magic Camp is being released on Disney's streaming service in fall 2019.
Umm ... what with this and the bazillion other in-development Disney projects that were originally intended as theatrical releases and have now been downgraded to TV movies, is Disney thinking of leaving cinemas altogether now? :?

There's nothing wrong with TV movies or those made specifically for streaming services, but Disney already produces a rather low number of yearly theatrical releases. How many films will they be releasing in 2019? Three perhaps? i.e. just the animated films
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Black Panther just broke a whole bunch of records, so I don't think Disney will abandon movie theatres. I just hope they don't relegate films they might deem un-commercial to their streaming service. Disney's current strategy is releasing event and tentpole films. Which might lead to movies like Queen of Katwe debuting on their streaming service.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:I just hope they don't relegate films they might deem un-commercial to their streaming service. Disney's current strategy is releasing event and tentpole films.
That's already happening. At least, until Fox is fully integrated. Then Disney will probably give limited theatrical releases to arthouse films by Fox Searchlight.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:
estefan wrote:I just hope they don't relegate films they might deem un-commercial to their streaming service. Disney's current strategy is releasing event and tentpole films.
That's already happening. At least, until Fox is fully integrated. Then Disney will probably give limited theatrical releases to arthouse films by Fox Searchlight.
Ugh. :( I'm not even into live-action Disney movies but that's just wrong.

Aaaaaaand, if a significant number of films will now be debuting on the streaming service instead of in theatres I'm guessing they will be exclusive to Movies Anywhere and will not get a physical release for those not interested in streaming or unable to access the service due to geographical location (e.g. Europe and the rest of the world.)

Isn't that how Netflix operates?
blackcauldron85

Re: Magic Camp

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm glad the movie is finally being released, but it's weird it was announced so unceremoniously. It was just included in Disney's list of upcoming August releases. No separate announcement like the rest of the Disney+ originals. Not to mention, this is being released on the same day as "The One and Only Ivan" and we don't have a poster or a trailer for it yet. I don't get why Disney has treated this movie so horribly, even by their standards. Is it because Jeffrey Tambor's in it? That's the only reason I can think of.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85

I'm sure there's a lot more heart in the film than the trailer implies. I think it'll be good- I'm happy to finally see it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Interesting that Jeffrey Tambor is nowhere to be found in the poster or the trailer even though he's supposed to play a big role in the film. I only spotted him in a blink-and-you-miss it wide shot in the trailer. I wonder if Disney re-edited the film to limit his presence as much as possible.
blackcauldron85

I noticed that he was missing, too. I'm not surprised at him not being in the marketing, but I hadn't thought that they might edit the film...could that be a reason why it kept getting pushed back?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I was also superised They show nothing of Jeffrey Tambor, Maybe they cut him out altogther.