"Top Animated Classics" Poll Needs an Update

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

"Top Animated Classics" Poll Needs an Update

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

I apologize if this has already been brought up, but it looks like the last "top animated classics" poll was from 2003. Haven't there been more polls since then? I know for sure "Mulan" and "Hunchback" have received a lot more love recently, so I know their rankings would be different this time around.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: "Top Animated Classics" Poll Needs an Update

Post by JeanGreyForever »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29409&hilit=top+20
There was one in 2012 with updated results, including a higher ranking for Hunchback while films like Mulan and Pocahontas finally placed unlike the 2003 one. I know I'd love to see a new countdown because we've had so many new films since then plus shifting attitudes, and back around November I think several people did say they would love to do another ranking.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

JeanGreyForever wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29409&hilit=top+20
There was one in 2012 with updated results, including a higher ranking for Hunchback while films like Mulan and Pocahontas finally placed unlike the 2003 one. I know I'd love to see a new countdown because we've had so many new films since then plus shifting attitudes, and back around November I think several people did say they would love to do another ranking.
Thanks! As unbelievable as it sounds, 2012 is almost ten years old! :o

I'm definitely not surprised that "Mulan" and "Hunchback" are more loved now, considering they fit in better with the current socio-political climate. I am surprised about Pocahontas, though. If anything I'd think that movie would be ranked lower since one of its main criticisms is that it white-washes American history.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I looked up the list I sent in from 2012 and I am so shocked by my choices! Leaving off BATB (and maybe the rest of the Fab 4?) doesn’t surprise me, that was probably strategy to help TLM get first place (hehe), but I can’t believe I have so many Walt-era titles on here! Bambi at #3? Did I really ever like Bambi that much? And I can’t believe I ranked Mulan so highly back then, I don’t remember liking it very much until recently. This is why I don’t do many of the ranking threads... my opinions on most of these movies aren’t constant.

1. The Little Mermaid
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. Bambi
4. Lady and the Tramp
5. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
6. One Hundred and One Dalmatians
7. Dumbo
8. The Emperor’s New Groove
9. Pinocchio
10. Mulan
11. Fantasia
12. Cinderella
13. Meet the Robinsons
14. Pocahontas
15. The Aristocats
16. The Rescuers
17. The Jungle Book
18. Alice in Wonderland
19. Peter Pan
20. Sleeping Beauty
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Cheshire_Cat wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29409&hilit=top+20
Thanks! As unbelievable as it sounds, 2012 is almost ten years old! :o

I'm definitely not surprised that "Mulan" and "Hunchback" are more loved now, considering they fit in better with the current socio-political climate. I am surprised about Pocahontas, though. If anything I'd think that movie would be ranked lower since one of its main criticisms is that it white-washes American history.
I know, I feel like it wasn't too long ago when films like Tangled and Frozen were released.

Mulan is very popular with millennials who have grown up and can vocalize their love for the film online. Hunchback similarly has resonated with lots of people who grew up with it and couldn't appreciate it as children (much like myself). It reminds me a bit of The Fox and the Hound, another film which doesn't get much merch or promotion by Disney but is quite a favorite with people who saw it as children.

Pocahontas is a weird case. It really only gets flack in America, it has a huge following in Europe and even in Japan it's quite loved. In America, it has more of a mixed reception. A lot of people still love the film for its music and design and because it came right after the Big Four, it still is highly remembered by all age-groups, not just those who grew up with it. There's also been lots of articles for its recent anniversary about how the film may be problematic or hasn't aged well, but there's still a lot to love.
ImageImage
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I looked up the list I sent in from 2012 and I am so shocked by my choices! Leaving off BATB (and maybe the rest of the Fab 4?) doesn’t surprise me, that was probably strategy to help TLM get first place (hehe), but I can’t believe I have so many Walt-era titles on here! Bambi at #3? Did I really ever like Bambi that much? And I can’t believe I ranked Mulan so highly back then, I don’t remember liking it very much until recently. This is why I don’t do many of the ranking threads... my opinions on most of these movies aren’t constant.

1. The Little Mermaid
3. Bambi
4. Lady and the Tramp
7. Dumbo
9. Pinocchio
10. Mulan
11. Fantasia
12. Cinderella
13. Meet the Robinsons
14. Pocahontas
15. The Aristocats
16. The Rescuers
17. The Jungle Book
18. Alice in Wonderland
19. Peter Pan
20. Sleeping Beauty
I don't think your opinion is any less valid just because it isn't constant. I see these polls as snapshots in time, reflecting which movies vibe better with the current era and generation.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I looked up the list I sent in from 2012 and I am so shocked by my choices! Leaving off BATB (and maybe the rest of the Fab 4?) doesn’t surprise me, that was probably strategy to help TLM get first place (hehe), but I can’t believe I have so many Walt-era titles on here! Bambi at #3? Did I really ever like Bambi that much? And I can’t believe I ranked Mulan so highly back then, I don’t remember liking it very much until recently. This is why I don’t do many of the ranking threads... my opinions on most of these movies aren’t constant.

1. The Little Mermaid
3. Bambi
4. Lady and the Tramp
7. Dumbo
9. Pinocchio
10. Mulan
11. Fantasia
12. Cinderella
13. Meet the Robinsons
14. Pocahontas
15. The Aristocats
16. The Rescuers
17. The Jungle Book
18. Alice in Wonderland
19. Peter Pan
20. Sleeping Beauty
It makes sense for personal preference to change. I remember when I was young, The Little Mermaid was my favorite film, only as an adult I've learned to appreciate other films more. I also remember that Peter Pan used to be my favorite Walt film, but not so much now.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I know, I feel like it wasn't too long ago when films like Tangled and Frozen were released.
To me it actually feels like a lifetime ago. I was in the university between the releases of Tangled to Frozen (2010-2013) and it was a time where I "rediscovered" Disney again and I kind of miss it, but I've been through so much since then that I feel like it's a different life.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I know, I feel like it wasn't too long ago when films like Tangled and Frozen were released.
To me it actually feels like a lifetime ago. I was in the university between the releases of Tangled to Frozen (2010-2013) and it was a time where I "rediscovered" Disney again and I kind of miss it, but I've been through so much since then that I feel like it's a different life.
That's so interesting how everyone was in a different part of life when those films came out. I hadn't even started high school yet when Tangled came out and I was in my junior year when Frozen was released. I "rediscovered" Disney at the start of 2013. I remember all throughout that year I used to read Disney High School fanfics.
ImageImage