Top 3 Animated Classics

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Re: Top 3 Animated Classics

Post by DC Fan »

Decided to give a full explanation of why I like each one.

My top 3 are:

1. Aladdin: Loved this one as a child. As said, it´s amazing. Love the Arabian setting, Genie, Jafar (my favorite Disney villain and Disney character overall). Back then I was obsessed with it. I wasn´t into watching movies multiple times but I did with this one. I asked to borrow it from a friend. When the sequel came out I couldn´t believe it. More so that Jafar returned. Then the TV series happened and it was a joy to experience. This is the only Disney movie I bought twice on DVD: the Collector´s and the regular version. And I bought the regular because the Collector´s would take a while to arrive and I couldn´t wait. Oh, and when the DVD came out I went to a Blockbuster to ask for the Jafar standee. If anything I wish Jafar had kept the song WHY ME?

2. The Little Mermaid: I´ve always liked the mysteries of the ocean so a movie that took place there...count me in! The movie in itself is great. The soundtrack is so good. The animation is incredible. And I especially adore that it came out in 89 as it has this obscure atmophere of the animated and family movies from that deacade.

3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Even though TLM is my second favorite if Aladdin wasn´t my first one HUNCHBACK would have been. Learned to appreciate it as an adult. With the exception of the gargoyles it´s a masterpiece of a movie. So adult, the themes, the songs are unbelievable and gives you chills. And Frollo...the darkest Disney villain becuase while there are others that maybe evil incarnate (Chernabog, The Horned King, Maleficent-as Mistress of Evil- and to an extent Hades) but for him being human he represents the worst of us. And thanks the gods for Tony Jay. The role was PERFECT for him. So glad Disney didn´t use him for a main villain before (yes, Eleanor Audley did Lady Tremaine and Maleficent...yet she made them sound different somehow while Jay´s voice was too unique).

BTW, come to think of it, the Gargoyles wouldn´t have been a problem if they didn´t move at all. And it would have been nice to actually see them come to life just for the song A GUY LIKE YOU as it would have been the pinacle of Quasi´s happiness...and, of course, don´t see them ever move again because by then he´d have his heart broken and in the end he wouldn´t need them.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:I didn't have a problem with Cindy in WR2. The only thing I think she wouldn't do was break her own glass slipper to cut someone who just appeared before her like a fairy godmother...
She had the worst CGI design by far. She looked absolutely dreadful in her ballgown form (her comfy outfit wasn't that bad actually). And the glass slippers meant the world to her and basically saved her life and were a miracle. We saw how happy she was when she learned that even though the spell was broken, her glass slipper hadn't faded away as well. She would never just smash it for no reason like that. It was so OOC like everything else in that film.
Oh, yes, true, I do agree with all of that.
DC Fan wrote:BTW, come to think of it, the Gargoyles wouldn´t have been a problem if they didn´t move at all. And it would have been nice to actually see them come to life just for the song A GUY LIKE YOU as it would have been the pinacle of Quasi´s happiness...and, of course, don´t see them ever move again because by then he´d have his heart broken and in the end he wouldn´t need them.
That's an interesting idea, but I feel that song at all mars the film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

@Disney Duster
Glad to hear it.

@DC Fan
My top three is basically the same as yours but I rank TLM as #1 and Aladdin as #2 so those are swapped. If Hunchback had a few extra songs which I think are important for the story and the themes of the film, it would likely be #2 instead of #3 for me. And I agree that Frollo is evil incarnate but unlike Maleficent, Chernabog, and the Horned King (Hades is just a pathetic loser. He's the god of death and he didn't even know Hercules wasn't dead), the fact that he is pure human makes him frightening in a way that only people living under a xenophobic tyrant's regime would understand. A Guy Like You actually isn't that bad of a song but the imagery is anachronistic.

That's so cool that you have a Jafar standee. And I wish they had kept Jafar's villain song as well. He's got about 3-4 between the deleted songs and the musical but Why Me is my fav.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

A youtuber in his "Disney Villains- from evil to most evil" video comparison he put Maleficent, Horned King and Chernabog at the end, claiming how the three are Disney's interpretation of the devil. With Chernabog it's a bit of a "duh" moment, but the horns, the minions, the calls to hell...It all matches up.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Chernabog was called Satan originally before Disney felt that was too much. If Maleficent wasn't the Devil she was probably one of his followers or disciples as in the Medieval era, the belief was that witches had sold their souls to the devil to gain their dark powers (like Rasputin in Anastasia). There was even a whole treatise on witchcraft called Malleus Maleficarum so I wonder if Maleficent got her name from that.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ I've always considered The Horned King & Chernabog to be the scariest villains, but I definitely think that Maleficent fits right in with them as well.

1. The Black Cauldron
2. Aladdin
3. The Little Mermaid

So, I tried my best tallying everyone's responses:

The most popular #1 choice: The Little Mermaid (12)
Runners up: Aladdin (10), Beauty and the Beast (5)

The most popular #2 choice: Beauty and the Beast (13)
Runner up: The Little Mermaid (6)

The most popular #3 choice: Beauty and the Beast (7)
Runners Up: (Tie): The Little Mermaid (5), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (5)
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

JeanGreyForever wrote:There was even a whole treatise on witchcraft called Malleus Maleficarum so I wonder if Maleficent got her name from that.
Oh she totally did. It's too much of a coincidence not to. The book sprung to popularity in the Middle Ages after all. Disney will never openly admit it tho because that book has a very dark history tied to. 8)
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

My 3 favorites are

1:The Emperor's New Groove
2: Beauty and the Beast
3:The Little Mermaid

These are the ABSOLUTE best animated classics in my opinion ! :) :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ I've always considered The Horned King & Chernabog to be the scariest villains, but I definitely think that Maleficent fits right in with them as well.

1. The Black Cauldron
2. Aladdin
3. The Little Mermaid

So, I tried my best tallying everyone's responses:

The most popular #1 choice: The Little Mermaid (12)
Runners up: Aladdin (10), Beauty and the Beast (5)

The most popular #2 choice: Beauty and the Beast (13)
Runner up: The Little Mermaid (6)

The most popular #3 choice: Beauty and the Beast (7)
Runners Up: (Tie): The Little Mermaid (5), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (5)
Maleficent never scared me as much as I admired her and wanted to see more of her lol.

Thank you again for your analytics! I love that you're always so thoughtful to go through everyone's posts and post data on which films are the most recurring.

I think when DC Fan created a similar thread a while back about Top 5 Animated Classics, the general consensus was also that The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame were the most recurring films in people's top choices just like here. Since that was top 5, it also featured Sleeping Beauty as one of the most recurring choices.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

thedisneyspirit wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:There was even a whole treatise on witchcraft called Malleus Maleficarum so I wonder if Maleficent got her name from that.
Oh she totally did. It's too much of a coincidence not to. The book sprung to popularity in the Middle Ages after all. Disney will never openly admit it tho because that book has a very dark history tied to. 8)
Yeah, I can't see Disney wanting that association but there's way too much of an overlap for that to not have been an influence. It's strange that a certain person we know is so Christian but she doesn't feel anything wrong in stanning Maleficent despite this connection.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cool info-finding Amy!

I actually think the Maleficarum thing is just coincidence but I also see how it could be intentional.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

That's possible but I believe it was more well known text back in the 1950s than it is now. Also in the early days of Disney, Walt himself went to Europe and picked up hundreds of books and storybooks filled with fairy tales, fables, legends, mythologies, and old writings as inspiration. Many of his animators were also very learned about European culture and these matters so it would shock me more if one of them was not aware.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Beauty and the Beast / The Little Mermaid
3. Sleeping Beauty
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:That's possible but I believe it was more well known text back in the 1950s than it is now. Also in the early days of Disney, Walt himself went to Europe and picked up hundreds of books and storybooks filled with fairy tales, fables, legends, mythologies, and old writings as inspiration. Many of his animators were also very learned about European culture and these matters so it would shock me more if one of them was not aware.
Yes, that is all true. You know, it probably isn't a coincidence then!
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

JeanGreyForever wrote: Glad to hear it.

@DC Fan
My top three is basically the same as yours but I rank TLM as #1 and Aladdin as #2 so those are swapped. If Hunchback had a few extra songs which I think are important for the story and the themes of the film, it would likely be #2 instead of #3 for me. And I agree that Frollo is evil incarnate but unlike Maleficent, Chernabog, and the Horned King (Hades is just a pathetic loser. He's the god of death and he didn't even know Hercules wasn't dead), the fact that he is pure human makes him frightening in a way that only people living under a xenophobic tyrant's regime would understand. A Guy Like You actually isn't that bad of a song but the imagery is anachronistic.

That's so cool that you have a Jafar standee. And I wish they had kept Jafar's villain song as well. He's got about 3-4 between the deleted songs and the musical but Why Me is my fav.

Great that we have similar thoughts!

As for a Disney Villains list...this is one I made for a Spanish site I write for. You (in general I´m guessing) won´t know what it says but at least can see how I rank them.

https://www.cineycine.com/cine/10-villanos-de-disney/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I used the translate button so I was able to understand most of it. I like all the villains you picked for your top ten except for Hades. I know you said he's #2 because he's a god but he's a pretty lousy one in my book. All his methods to try and kill Hercules (in the Zero to Hero montage) spectacularly fail. Even when he tries to kill him as an infant, not only does he fail but as the God of the Dead, he should realize that baby Hercules is not one of the many souls added to his Underworld. Instead, he goes on for 18 years without realizing that Hercules isn't dead. One would think he would have immediately realized that Hercules was not a subject of his in the Underworld or he should have heard the news from Olympus that Zeus and Hera's son had been found as a mortal with a human couple. Even in the ending, he's defeated when he's thrown into that pool of his Underworld subjects...one would think a god wouldn't be phased by spirits but Hades is completely overtaken by them. Can you imagine Zeus falling to Earth and being overpowered by his human subjects like Hades was by his Underworld subjects?

Also while I'm surprised Jafar and Ursula rank so low on your list. I know Frollo represents the worst of humanity but wouldn't Ursula and Jafar be more powerful and threatening than he is because of their abilities?
ImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

My There favourite are

1.The Emperor's New Groove
2.Beauty and the Beast
3. The Little Mermaid

I love them SO MUCH ! :D