Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I like the facelift. It needed a sprucing up for the 50th. I love all the newly added gold accents. It’s a little pinker than I had expected based on Disney’s concept art (https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202002/7275/), but you have to remember, this is a fresh coat of paint. It will all quickly fade in the Florida sun.

No, if you want to see horror, you must go back 25 years ago: http://funaticstv.com/blog/magic-kingdo ... sappeared/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I get doing a repaint, but they should have used the same colors and make sure they're not erasing anything. Al the details on the roofs are gone, all the bricks gone.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I like the facelift. It needed a sprucing up for the 50th. I love all the newly added gold accents. It’s a little pinker than I had expected based on Disney’s concept art (https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202002/7275/), but you have to remember, this is a fresh coat of paint.
That concept art looks better than the final result. But even if it was the same, I still wouldn't like it much. It looks like something out of a toy playset. There's a cheap, plastic-looking quality to it now. It doesn't look as regal and "real" as before. The golden accents is the only decent thing about the new look.
UmbrellaFish wrote:If you want to see horror, you must go back 25 years ago: http://funaticstv.com/blog/magic-kingdo ... sappeared/
Yeah, but that was temporary.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

farerb wrote:I get doing a repaint, but they should have used the same colors and make sure they're not erasing anything. Al the details on the roofs are gone, all the bricks gone.
I think those details will become more visible again as it gets more sun faded. After all, they didn’t remove anything, just applied a new coat of paint. They probably painted it when they did (as this was planned and begun before the parks closed) because the paint would fade into the right colors by the time the press would be there for the 50th on October 1st, 2021 or whenever they decide to begin the celebrations next year.

I understand your gripes about changing the color scheme, although I don’t share them. I’m happy that now the two Cinderella Castles in Orlando and Tokyo look less like clones with the vastly different paint jobs.

Last year, Disney said that the “color” for the 50th anniversary would be iridescence and they shared an image of the castle lit up in purples and blues. So there may yet be more changes in store for Cinderella Castle if COVID-19 doesn’t ruin anything else: https://wdwnt.com/2019/10/walt-disney-w ... lebration/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/truusbobj ... 9130773333
I found this, a publicity still of Cinderella that was turned into a postcard. It's a good indicator of what her hair color originally was like.
Thank you. I wish the Blu-ray looked like this.

I am in a strange agreement-disagreement with farerb, Sotiris, aaaand UmbrellaFish - I like the new paint job, I just wish we saw the details come through. The only thing I am worried about is how the lighter blue details on the clock tower and the other tower with the roof like it are now gone. Have they gotten rid of those contrasting details?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney Duster wrote:The only thing I am worried about is how the lighter blue details on the clock tower and the other tower with the roof like it are now gone. Have they gotten rid of those contrasting details?
I don’t know. No watchers have reported that the cranes have left yet, so the paint job is not finished. Those lighter blue details remained in the concept art, so I say it’s not unlikely that they will be painted on when the castle is finished.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I saw Rear Window last night and I thought Grace Kelly had a resemblance to Cinderella in that film. Though she still might not be the inspiration to Cinderella.

So so far from what I seen:

Snow White - Claudette Colbert
Cinderella - Grace Kelly/Ingrid Bergman
Jessica Rabbit - Rita Heyworth
Belle - Audrey Hepburn
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:I saw Rear Window last night and I thought Grace Kelly had a resemblance to Cinderella in that film. Though she still might not be the inspiration to Cinderella.

So so far from what I seen:

Snow White - Claudette Colbert
Cinderella - Grace Kelly/Ingrid Bergman
Jessica Rabbit - Rita Heyworth
Belle - Audrey Hepburn
Grace Kelly didn't really become famous until after Cinderella came out. I don't think she even started acting until 1951 or 1952. People see a resemblance between them though especially in their life stories so that's why they get compared so often. I asked Duster if Cinderella was based off of any actress in particular and he said he's never come across anything like that.

I've always seen a resemblance between Snow White and Claudette Colbert but I don't remember if she was deliberately based on her or not. I think I also remember reading somewhere that Bette Davis was partially the inspiration for Snow White or her eyes were anyway, but I haven't been able to corroborate that source. It might have been one of those comparisons that came about years later.

Belle, Aurora, and Anastasia were all inspired by Audrey Hepburn. It's funny how many classic princesses were based off of one woman. Ariel was inspired by Alyssa Milano. Jasmine was inspired by Jennifer Connelly. Pocahontas was based off of many actresses and models including Naomi Campbell who is the only specific woman I remember. Esmeralda was inspired by her own voice actress, Demi Moore.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:The only thing I am worried about is how the lighter blue details on the clock tower and the other tower with the roof like it are now gone. Have they gotten rid of those contrasting details?
I don’t know. No watchers have reported that the cranes have left yet, so the paint job is not finished. Those lighter blue details remained in the concept art, so I say it’s not unlikely that they will be painted on when the castle is finished.
I forgot to tell you thank you for your input on how maybe they will keep the contrasting colored designs! I hope so!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

New aerial photo of Cinderella Castle today. The painted patterns have returned: https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/stat ... 19105?s=21

The cranes are still in place, but it looks like it’s almost done. I’m sure they will be finished before the park reopens. If not, God bless those poor cast members at Guest Relations.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The patterns returned! I LOVE how the whole thing looks!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

And it looks like Cinderella Castle’s make-over is complete just in time for tomorrow’s cast member previews. Here’s an up-close look: https://wdwnt.com/2020/07/photos-first- ... -the-park/

The blue is still very hot, but the pink has settled into a pretty shade which looks nice with the new gold trimmings.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Very beautiful.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Going back to the conversation of actresses and which ones inspired the Disney Princesses, it turns out that Snow White did have a specific inspiration after all. Walt modeled her after Janet Gaynor.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CC3wzPcIpcx/

The same Instagram user also has a mockup of Joan Crawford as the Queen.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CC5X6UgjL-B/

Another Instagram user has a mockup of Joan Crawford as Snow White. Not that Joan was ever an inspiration for Snow White, but in her early films she did resemble her more than she did the Queen as seen here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_dxKuwjyYG/

Now if we only had information on any actresses who inspired Cinderella.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The second image didn't work for me. But hm...I wonder how the Instagram user found out about Janet Gaynor?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Duster, I came across this new doll and I thought it might interest you. :)

Source: https://www.target.com/p/disney-princes ... A-79398715
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, thank you very much Sotiris! I am actually more wowed you posted this for me than the doll itself lol. The doll is...kind of nice, but also kind of weird, lol, in my opinion, just my opinion. I am never into holiday dolls. I did buy the Saks Fifth Avenue Cinderella Collector Doll which technically was also a holiday doll, but they didn't do anything to make the doll look like a holiday doll and it was more about Cinderella's 70th Anniversary, or so I think. Still, this doll's kind of cool. Thank you!!!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

That Cinderella doll looks a bit like Carrie Underwood, don't you think?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't see it, but it's not like I really pay much attention to Carrie lol.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I guess it's the heavy eye makeup what immediately reminded me of her, but I don't know her (or any other contemporary singer) much either. I only know of her for her songs for Enchanted and the third Narnia movie.