What's New at Walt Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: What's New at Walt Disney World?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I feel like I’m taffy in regards to the issue of Disney re-opening. I know a lot of cast members down there who are young kids out on their own or who are immigrants with families and I read their posts about their difficulties with Florida unemployment. And I want WDW to reopen soon so that their livelihood is restored. But I also think it’s very bad for states to reopen too soon and I’m worried about my friends being on the front-lines at WDW in the midst of a global pandemic. As bad as it is now, nothing could be worse than them contracting the virus and becoming seriously ill.

Then there’s my friends who are slated to arrive at Disney this summer for International and College programs. Disney still hasn’t cancelled any of these arrivals past June and my friends still expect that they will be there— I think my friend from Mexico with the July date will definitely get cancelled and my friend with the later Aug/Sept (I can never remember which month it is...) date will probably get the go ahead, but I’m afraid that Disney will close the parks again and send all CP’s home in the midst of a second outbreak this fall or winter. I wish Disney would cancel the programs now so they don’t continue to look forward to it, and also because I don’t want them working there during a pandemic either...
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I think everyone opening up and going back to work will be a guinea pig regarding if there will be a second wave. :(
blackcauldron85

WDW's Disney Springs reopening plans:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... ld-resort/

A few of the comments were praising the responsibility, a few were people asking about face mask exemptions for people with disabilities or medical conditions, and a lot of the comments were people saying that they won't be visiting at all/will cancel or let lapse their annual passes if wearing masks and temperature checks are required. One person even got political. :roll:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’ve been reading some of the comments on other more parks-centric forums and some people are really just awful.
blackcauldron85

FAQs for Disney Springs' reopening:

Disney Springs Releases Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers) on Masks, Parking, Dining Reservations, and More Ahead of May 20 Reopening
https://wdwnt.com/?p=287122
blackcauldron85

Menu and price changes for some Disney Springs restaurants:

Price and Menu Changes Hit Disney Springs Restaurants Ahead of Reopening
https://wdwnt.com/?p=287199

I'm still not planning on going anytime soon, but I'm okay with the price increases and menu tweaks. With the future of restaurants in jeopardy, paying a couple dollars more shouldn't be a big issue. I wonder if the jump in some of the seafood prices is due to seasonality, like those sea creatures might not be as in season in May as they were in the winter??
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Walt Disney World Resort to Present Reopening Dates to Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force Tomorrow

https://wdwnt.com/2020/05/breaking-walt ... -tomorrow/

Not sure if this necessarily means we will find out tomorrow (I guess if it’s possible it will leak to the press, Disney will formally announce it to get ahead of the ball).

Also, kind of gross that the plans are being presented to the “Economic Recovery Task Force” and not something focused on public health.

EDIT:

UPDATE: Disney Will Not Submit a Reopening Proposal Tomorrow

https://blogmickey.com/2020/05/update-d ... -tomorrow/

Well, nvm then

I wonder if it was never true or if Disney got cold feet. I guess they have nothing to lose from watching and waiting to see the public reception towards Universal’s plan. Wish i could be a fly on the wall for whatever talks are going on right now...

EDIT:

BREAKING: Universal Orlando Resort Theme Parks Planned to Soft Reopen on June 1; Would Reopen to the Public on June 5

https://wdwnt.com/2020/05/breaking-univ ... on-june-1/

This is relevant to Disney parks and WDW specifically in that Universal is Disney’s most direct competitor. News also coming out today that Disney is cancelling hotel reservations through June 13, possibly indicating that WDW will remain closed almost two weeks after Universal opens. This makes sense as WDW is a much larger enterprise than Universal is and allowing the other park to open ahead of them means they can also watch and study the rival park as they make preparations for their own opening.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Walt Disney World Resort to Submit Reopening Plans Next Week, According to Orange County Mayor

https://wdwnt.com/2020/05/walt-disney-w ... nty-mayor/
blackcauldron85

I know that CityWalk opened, but I haven't read about how it went. I guess I haven't read how Disney Springs went yet, either. Hopefully all that open have successful runs; I think we'll have to wait a while to see if a lot of people end up testing positive after their visits... :?
blackcauldron85

Walt Disney World Surveying Guests About Face Mask Requirements and Health & Safety Procedures Ahead of Park Reopening
https://wdwnt.com/?p=288363

I'm nervous about that. There are so many people, as we talked about earlier, who don't want their "freedom" taken away by wearing masks, and they commented that they won't go to WDW if they need a mask. I wonder how those people will answer how the plexiglass/social distancing/etc impacts their choice to visit again; from what I gathered (I just woke up!), the mask question was a separate one. I'm nervous because if too many people answer that they won't visit needing a mask, Disney will make masks non-mandatory. I'm nervous about this country. It's like masks are part of this horrible divide in this country that already existed, and people are coughing in the faces of others... Not to go on too much of a tangent, but I've been having to go to the vet every few days for my sick dog, and it's allergy season; my poor husband and dad: "Do I have Corona?!" :( I was obsessed with hand sanitizer before Corona, and maybe I'll be obsessed with wearing a mask after...
blackcauldron85

Disney Springs Guests Share Grief Over Some Not Wearing Face Coverings
https://insidethemagic.net/2020/05/disn ... masks-sp1/
:( :o :shock: :? :cry: :evil: :roll: :down: :angry: :facepalm: :eyebrow: :shrug: :smack: :embarrassed: :glare: :brick: :headshake: :jawdrop: :scratch:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I could have *sworn* that I saw an article earlier today somewhere, maybe on FB, where Orange County was issuing a mandatory face mask thing, which of course would tie Disney’s arm behind its back. But I can’t find anything anywhere so I must have dreamed it.

But I’m sorry, if you’re still going to go on a Disney World vacation, please, please, please wear a mask!!! If you don’t want to wear a mask and you don’t think your child will, do not go!!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

So on DisBoards one of their moderators shared a rumor from one of their sources that if the NBA deal is finalized it could mean the extended closure of most or all of Walt Disney World resort, potentially for several months. And it is absolutely wild to read the hissy fits being thrown right now by “faithful” and “loyal” customers who are upset at the possibility that Disney may take drastic measures to limit any risk to the health and well-being of their guests and cast members. :o It is as if these people do not realize we are living through a global pandemic!

Not sure if this will happen, kinda sounds insane for Disney to leave money on the table when all levels of government and their competition are chomping at the bit to reopen. But it would be such a smart and responsible decision that if they did do this, I’d certainly applaud them.
blackcauldron85

I haven't read too much about the NBA deal, but DisneyFoodBlog's YouTube channel mentioned it in a video yesterday. So all of the NBA players would be living in WDW hotels? And then playing @ WWoS? So the rumor is if this happens, only Disney Springs will be open to the public, not the Parks? Would the Parks be open to the players and their families to give them something to do? If so, would those players and their families (and coaches and their families, and I guess the production people and whoever else is involved in a game) be purchasing WDW tix? If so, they'd be paying a lot of cast members to work while probably not making many merchandise sales or food sales compared to if other guests could come. Or would the Parks be closed to everyone? I guess I don't understand how the players/coaches/families/whoever have an impact on the Parks opening to the public, unless those people would be the 20% capacity allowed each day...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Honestly, there are so many moving parts that when I try to picture it, my head spins. “Well, you could spread the NBA across the deluxe hotels, but where does that leave DVC members?” “You could keep the parks closed, but what do you do with pass holders?” I do not envy Disney’s team right now!

From what I’ve read, all of which is speculation and the rumors change daily— the idea is that Disney will host the NBA in their deluxe hotels— I think the word “quarantine bubble” was used. I haven’t read any sources say that they would operate the parks exclusively for the NBA, although I’m sure Disney would host a couple after dark parties with free booze and rides in operation just for the NBA.

Part of the rumor is that Disney may reopen some parks, or parts of the parks to the public— or potentially everything remains closed like it is now. I saw, and this makes the most sense to me personally, speculation that they would reopen the World Showcase staffed with domestic workers— essentially, Disney Springs: International Flavor, mainly a draw for locals which it long has been. And they would reopen Hollywood Studios because it has all the latest attractions and Galaxy’s Edge is probably enough of a draw on its own that people will travel for it without being disappointed that the other parks are closed. Magic Kingdom would have to stay closed because just entering it is a nightmare for social distancing.

My theory, with reduced capacity and depressed tourism domestically and internationally, Disney will probably lose money trying to operate the parks in the way that guests are accustomed to. So, they make some cash hosting the NBA and potentially reopening to the public with very specific, very limited offerings for the time being, with the benefit of watching the pandemic play out at their competitors so when they do a full reopening, they do it without a hitch.

But hell, tomorrow the rumor could be that the NBA deal is off and Disney will reopen all four parks with new kissing booth attractions. I don’t know. But this latest rumor seems the safest route to me so far...
blackcauldron85

:lol: I think that opening World Showcase makes sense, since they even have that Epcot-after-4 pass. And Mexico, Frozen, France, China, America attractions all lend themselves well to social distancing.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

BREAKING: Walt Disney World Resort to Present Reopening Dates to Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force Tomorrow

https://wdwnt.com/2020/05/breaking-walt ... omorrow-2/
blackcauldron85

BREAKING: Walt Disney World Plans to Reopen Starting July 11 https://wdwnt.com/?p=289561
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Just saw! We will see how it turns out... curious to see what will happen with my friend’s international program. So far, the bans on travel haven’t affected the kind of visas that the international students use. And just last week he was telling me he’s be there in July or August at the latest, whatever that means...

I have a reservation with a Disney Springs area resort in September. I wonder if that guarantees me a reservation or not, if that system is even in place in September.

EDIT:

The vids and pics at Disney Springs as the World of Disney reopens look... pretty bad. :(

https://twitter.com/wdwnt/status/126564 ... 80257?s=21

https://twitter.com/disneyfoodblog/stat ... 01472?s=21
blackcauldron85

If September is like right now, with only 2 parking garages open (and one only opening when the first gets full, apparently), people right now with restaurant reservations @ Disney Springs are NOT guaranteed to get a parking spot/get in for their reservation, so FYI! I'd advise getting there as early in the day as possible.

OMG those photos and video. I can imagine why security was trying to get people to disperse- zero social distancing going on. I know that ShopDisney has been getting a bad rap due to security breaches and virtual queues/not getting through to buy limited edition merch, but there are other options than standing in a 3-hour scary germy line to buy Disney merch...wow.