Musker & Clements Left Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: John Musker Left Disney

Post by blackcauldron85 »

So will they be working together?!?!?! If so, then exciting things are to come! Disney must be kicking themselves...?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

How does this person know that Ron Clements left?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I don't know how they do, but it's true. I've confirmed it myself. I know someone who works at Warner Bros. Animation. Musker & Clements are working on a DC superhero movie. The project is at an early stage. I know which title it is, but I was asked not to reveal it before it's officially announced. Hint: it's an obscure team like what Big Hero 6 was to Marvel.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thank you.
It's so weird to learn that way.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:Ron Clements has left Disney as well and has joined John Musker at Warner Bros. Animation.
So I was right that Musker was probably "retired." It was always obvious they were told to make Moana their swan song at Disney, which is why there were so many callbacks to Mermaid, imo. I was hoping maybe with Lasseter finally out, Musker might have come back. Oh, well. At least they're working together again somewhere.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

After thinking about this, this means that there is no one left at WDAS who worked there in the 90's and early 2000's, doesn't it? That's sad.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Sotiris wrote:I don't know how they do, but it's true. I've confirmed it myself. I know someone who works at Warner Bros. Animation. Musker & Clements are working on a DC superhero movie. The project is at an early stage. I know which title it is, but I was asked not to reveal it before it's officially announced. Hint: it's an obscure team like what Big Hero 6 was to Marvel.
That sounds AMAZING BUT i :D :D

But i am not dsyre belive you since John Musker offically retried in 2018.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I always thought it was only a matter of time until Clements left after Musker's departure. It seemed like he was waiting for his contract to expire or something and was just doing busy work at the studio until then.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:I always thought it was only a matter of time until Clements left after Musker's departure. It seemed like he was waiting for his contract to expire or something and was just doing busy work at the studio until then.
Wasn't he writing a book?
I think he was credited as a consultant on RBTI and Frozen II but that might have been only a courtesy.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:Wasn't he writing a book?
Supposedly. But we never found out if it was a Disney-commissioned book or an independent one. I doubt he'll be able to finish it anytime soon, now that he's working on another feature.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote:I don't know how they do, but it's true. I've confirmed it myself. I know someone who works at Warner Bros. Animation. Musker & Clements are working on a DC superhero movie. The project is at an early stage. I know which title it is, but I was asked not to reveal it before it's officially announced. Hint: it's an obscure team like what Big Hero 6 was to Marvel.
Will it be live-action or animated? One of DC Universe's original animated movies?

EDIT: Nvm, I now see you wrote WB Animation.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:I always thought it was only a matter of time until Clements left after Musker's departure. It seemed like he was waiting for his contract to expire or something and was just doing busy work at the studio until then.
Same. They probably didn't want to retire Musker and Clements at the same time, because that would have made it obvious they'd been pushed out and it was not their choice. Disney was always about creating this illusion of choice on part of the directors with everything from medium, composer, etc. etc. It was a way for Disney to avoid criticism or taking blame. I expected Clements would stay around for at least a year after Musker before they put a fork in him, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, it's pretty remarkable that John Musker has joined Warner Bros. Animation, too. After all, both of them are at the age of retirement.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Sotiris wrote:Musker & Clements are working on a DC superhero movie. The project is at an early stage. I know which title it is, but I was asked not to reveal it before it's officially announced. Hint: it's an obscure team like what Big Hero 6 was to Marvel.
CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN?!?!

:o

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's a shame Musker and Clements won't be able to finish their careers at Disney, but that they're working on a new film together is the most exciting news I've heard in a long time! I'm really happy right now. :D Thanks for sharing and for the exclusive details, Sotiris! I would've preferred another subject, like a fantasy film, for example, but it'll be interesting to see their take on superhero films.

Well, it's obvious now that they weren't happy at Disney lately, but I wonder why. Now that we know they're close friends with Lasseter, I wonder if it had something to do with the decision to oust him from the studio, given that John Musker left just a couple of months before it was announced he would not return. Or is it that they didn't get along with Jennifer Lee?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Maybe they expected to be the ones in charge after Lasseter left but it was given to Lee? IDK and I don't think they'd share their decision.
However I tend to believe that something did happen and not fot nothing we see a lot of people leave both WDAS and Pixar.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

farerb wrote:Maybe they expected to be the ones in charge after Lasseter left but it was given to Lee? IDK and I don't think they'd share their decision.
However I tend to believe that something did happen and not fot nothing we see a lot of people leave both WDAS and Pixar.
If they felt miffed that Lee got the top job I think it's understandable, especially considering she has only been there for a few years, whereas they are veterans. Moreover, although I cannot seem to find conclusive evidence, it seems she is not actually an artist. She writes screenplays. (Does anybody know this for sure?)

Don't get me wrong. I like Jennifer Lee, and I will not judge her for mildly praising Lasseter (the same way I refuse to judge Musker and Clements for their more enthusiastic praise for the man), but it's no secret there were probably many other individuals at WDAS who were more qualified for the top job. I believe Musker and Clements would have excelled, and having certain clout would mean that they could push for more stylised/unconventional films from the studio. If Jennifer Lee has similar ambitions I kind of doubt she would be able to see them through as Disney management would probably do everything in their power to convince her to go a safer film-making route.

I would love to be wrong, though! :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't know if Lee knows animation, she was brought in to help with Wreck-it Ralph's script because she was Phil Johnson's friend and then they let her be on Frozen with Chris Buck. I think that her promotion was mostly publicity on Disney's part to make it seems that WDAS or Pixar aren't the "boys club" that was claimed by people and media. Lasseter wasn't only a sexual predator, it was claimed by Brenda Chapman and other female workers that the environment at Pixar was toxic to women and that they didn't feel comfortable there. I also think that the success of Frozen helped her get the job. However as much as Frozen was successful, it doesn't have the legacy of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, add to that the fact that M&C made another five films at Disney, some more successful than others. From a professional standpoint, they should have promoted M&C, and honestly I don't think Lee understands Disney's legacy as much as they did.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Jules wrote: I believe Musker and Clements would have excelled, and having certain clout would mean that they could push for more stylised/unconventional films from the studio. If Jennifer Lee has similar ambitions I kind of doubt she would be able to see them through as Disney management would probably do everything in their power to convince her to go a safer film-making route.
Whoa, that's a really good point. Obviously Ron & John would have fought for more hand-drawn (right?) or, as you said, stylised or unconventional films. They definitely wouldn't stick with the "Disney formula"- I think they'd bring more ambitious projects like Treasure Planet. But of course I can only guess. I hadn't thought of it before, but maybe Jennifer is more pliable/malleable, and maybe she's a yes-person...

But why wouldn't Disney want to bring back hand-drawn. Now I really want to know how Ron & John would handle the company (no offense to Jennifer!). I mean with John L. gone, who at Disney is against hand-drawn and unconventional movies!!?? Really, would Frozen not have done as good business if it were hand-drawn?!

(And I'm not a "I hate CGI" person- I love all the DACs- I just watched Meet the Robinsons yesterday, Bolt the day before, Brave, The Good Dinosaur, Monsters, Inc, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen II; I watch them all!) But hand-drawn animation is the most magical thing on Earth to me!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I mean with John L. gone, who at Disney is against hand-drawn and unconventional movies!!??
Bob Iger or whoever's the the top there. They care about money, not about style or art, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten so many remakes and sequels.