Cats (2019)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Cats (2019)

Post by DisneyFan97 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:Hooper says some stuff about them being human cats. So the blend of the human
That makes sense! :lol:
And Cats are autistics :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Wow, Patti LuPone really hates Cats (though she might be biased because of her feud with Andrew Loyd Webber.)
When asked how shocked she was that Cats bombed at the box office and if she would ever watch the film adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Weber's musical, LuPone said she refused.

"I will never watch it. I just saw the revival of it and walked out after the first act. I saw it originally in London and hated it so I'm not surprised that it bombed onscreen. From one to 10, how about zero," she said.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ve-1292173
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

What is the business between ALW and LuPone about, if you don’t mind my asking?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney's Divinity wrote:What is the business between ALW and LuPone about, if you don’t mind my asking?
Patti LuPone originated the role of Norma Desmond in the West End and had been promised the opportunity to originate the role on Broadway. ALW broke the contract by casting Glenn Close in the Broadway production while LuPone was in the London. LuPone had a legendary meltdown in her London dressing room, sued ALW, and with the money she won in the suit she had a swimming pool built at her home which she named “The Andrew Lloyd Webber Memorial Pool.”
Disney's Divinity

:lol: Well, I honestly don't blame her one iota. I would've sued also.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

UmbrellaFish wrote:...sued ALW, and with the money she won in the suit she had a swimming pool built at her home which she named “The Andrew Lloyd Webber Memorial Pool.”
Freaking hilarious.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

She was also upset with him that he didn't cast her as Evita in the film adaptation of the show, a role she originated on stage and won the Tony for. ALW recently criticized her performance in Evita and in retaliation she called him a "sad sack" and his work "schmaltzy". I love Patti; she's a hoot and has an amazing set of pipes. She's truly a theater legend.:D
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Seems like a lot of people hold a grudge against ALW. At least in this case he didn't make a s***show like Love Never Dies.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You mean at least Cats the musical movie or the musical play isn't Love Never Dies?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I became so Incrediblely sad when i found out no one liked this movie :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

It almost hurts how hated this movie is :( :( :( :cry: :cry:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Aw, I'm sorry DisneyFan97. But some of us, like me, like it a little bit.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DisneyFan97, I'm borderline obsessed with it, if it makes you feel better!

Sure Sounds Like Andrew Lloyd Webber Didn’t Dig James Corden in Cats
https://www.vulture.com/amp/2020/05/and ... -cats.html

I'm watching the 1998 full show on The Show Must Go On YouTube channel right now, but the non-audio commentary version.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Yeah, I thought the ad-libs from Rebel Wilson and James Corden weren’t always so funny. Corden’s were particularly bad because they were at odds with the song— he seems quite pleased with his weight in the song lyrics, but in the ad libs he claims to be sensitive about his weight. I can see how that would needle at ALW.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

E tu, Andrew?

Andrew Lloyd Webber Says Movie Adaptation Of ‘Cats’ Was “Ridiculous”
https://deadline.com/2020/08/andrew-llo ... 203001983/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Now he just needs to say that about Joel Schumacher's The Phantom of the Opera and we might get a decent remake.
Disney's Divinity

I'm surprised he didn't make these comments sooner. I think he might've wanted to give the film its chance at success first rather than making critical remarks that would hang over it during release.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

If Hooper allowed ALW to participate in the making of the film, I wonder what ALW would've done differently...
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm surprised he didn't make these comments sooner. I think he might've wanted to give the film its chance at success first rather than making critical remarks that would hang over it during release.
I don't think the studio would have appreciated Webber badmouthing the movie during or so soon after its theatrical release. It's considered bad form within the industry to bash a movie in the middle of its marketing campaign. Josh Trank, for example, got into a lot of trouble for Tweeting his disapproval of "Fantastic Four" during the film's opening weekend.

Even Elton John waited about three months before sharing his disappointment over the "Lion King" remake.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I call sour grapes. Andrew Lloyd Webber is famous for shaking off all responsibility for his failures and throwing other people under the bus. Lloyd Webber was an executive producer and his Really Useful Group company was also credited as a producer on the film so I’m sure he had some say in which director was chosen and that’s on him. He picked a director unsuited to the material because he thought Tom Hooper would guarantee Les Miz-like Oscar and box office success and he’s smarting because that backfired on him in a big way.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I call sour grapes. Andrew Lloyd Webber is famous for shaking off all responsibility for his failures and throwing other people under the bus. Lloyd Webber was an executive producer and his Really Useful Group company was also credited as a producer on the film so I’m sure he had some say in which director was chosen and that’s on him. He picked a director unsuited to the material because he thought Tom Hooper would guarantee Les Miz-like Oscar and box office success and he’s smarting because that backfired on him in a big way.
He also doesn't seem like a very nice person.