Disney Tops Licensed Merch Sales

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Tops Licensed Merch Sales

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Thumper_93 wrote:We also have the Hunchback of Notre dame pop's in the shop. They sell all right but now we're having problems to sell all the stock. But that also happened with Frozen 2 Pop's because we have much stock.
So glad to hear about Hunchback! I'm not surprised about the stock issues because of Corona. People don't have as much disposable income and haven't been spending as much in the past few months.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

When I was a kid and actually had the concept of popularity amongst Disney characters, for a while I thought Cinderella sold just as well as the rest and was really, really, big. Then for a while I thought she was the most popular. For the third and most recent while I have thought Ariel was the most popular princess, then followed by Cinderella. Looks like it's really Ariel, then Belle, then Cinderella. Well, long live the Queen (Ariel).
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

When I was a kid I remember that the popularity of each character depended about when the movie was reeased or re released. For example Pocahontas had lot of merchandise when it came out, Esmeralda and Mulan had it to. They were very popular but then the franchise was created in 2001 and then they losted their popularity. Luckily in Europe dolls were made by "Simba toys" and they made dolls of all the princesses (and even tinkerbell). Also Disney store released a Esmeralda doll under the "Princesses" collection
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I know Pocahontas was everywhere when she came out in 1995. And almost all the Hunchback merchandise centered around Esmeralda. I love the Simba dolls even if they weren't always very movie accurate like Aurora not having her trademark bangs. They made a lot of Giselle dolls including the only animated Giselle doll in her wedding dress.

I loved when Esmeralda was part of the DP lineup.
ImageImage
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Yes, Simba made great dolls. I bought today the first versions of Snow White and Cinderella and they're really preatty
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Thumper_93 wrote:Yes, Simba made great dolls. I bought today the first versions of Snow White and Cinderella and they're really preatty
Do you have any pictures please? :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

universALLove wrote:
Thumper_93 wrote:Yes, Simba made great dolls. I bought today the first versions of Snow White and Cinderella and they're really preatty
Do you have any pictures please? :)
Did they look like these or were your dolls even earlier versions?
ImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I have a few Simba Disney dolls as part of my massive Disney doll collection They are nice dolls, if not always very accurate.

Thumper_93, thanks for that insight on how Disney licensing works, Ive always been curious about the hows and whys of it myself. I didn't know they had to pay for each character individually apart from the actual license. I always thought the licensee would just pay one large fee for each franchise and that would get them all the characters that are associated with it. Like Winnie the Pooh gets you all the Pooh characters, Elena of Avalor gets you all the characters from that tv series, Disney Princess gets you all the Disney Princesses and Frozen gets you all the Frozen characters. I guess that's why they never put any Hans on any Frozen merch after the initial films first release, they didn't want to pay for him b/c they figured girls(and their parents) wouldnt buy any merch with him on it. I assumed it was Disney themselves not allowing him to be put on merch for fear they might get criticism by woke parents/Disney fans. :milkbuds:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney has ranked #1 global licensor for 2023.

Disney, Pokémon, Mattel Among Top 10 Global Licensors
https://www.animationmagazine.net/2023/ ... licensors/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wonder why we haven't got those "Retail Sales of Licensed Merchandise Based on Entertainment/Character Properties" lists since 2018? Perhaps they're out there, just weren't posted.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The place where I was getting that information, The Licensing Letter, stopped updating those lists after 2018. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, darn. :( Too bad, following those kinds of trends / changes from year to year was interesting.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"