The New Mutants

All topics on all things Marvel.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

The New Mutants

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

The New Mutants was originally meant to be the final movie from Fox's X-Men universe. But now seems like it's possible that it will be included in the MCU, which could actually make it Disney's first mutant movie instead.

https://screenrant.com/new-mutants-movi ... ences-mcu/
The current cut of Fox's The New Mutants has reportedly dropped all references to the studio's X-Men movies, and could eventually become part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The New Mutants' latest cut removes all references to the previous Fox X-Men movies, including any lines suggesting "mutant" is a common term in the film's universe. This changes were apparently made in case Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige decides he wants to make New Mutants part of the MCU and bring its main characters back in either Phase 5 or Beyond.
As the article says, nothing is sure when it comes to this movie. Still, it opens up for the possibilities that some of the characters (played by the same actors) can join the MCU later on, unlike the other X-Men movies from Fox.

The name, "The New Mutants", says a lot about how much the Marvel universe has changed regarding mutants. From Wikipedia:
By the early 1980s, Uncanny X-Men had become one of the comic book industry's most successful titles, prompting Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter to launch The New Mutants, the first of several X-Men spin-offs. X-Men editor Louise Simonson recalled "Neither Chris Claremont or I really wanted to do it. We wanted X-Men to be special and by itself, but Shooter told us that if we didn't come up with a new 'mutant' book, someone else would." The name was a modification of Stan Lee's original name for the X-Men, "The Mutants".
Back then the X-Men and Magneto and his brotherhood of evil mutants were practically the only mutants to speak of in the Marvel universe. You could learn all their names by heart. They were called "new mutants" because that's exactly what they were. A few years later there were so many mutants around that their name would have been "just a few more mutants".
Louise Simonson and Chris Claremont wanted the X-Men to be special and exclusive? Well, not anymore. It's been many years since mutants were anything special in the meaning of few and exclusive. They are no longer a team, they are now some sort of minority, which is very far from where they were when the New Mutants first showed up.
It would be interesting to know what Disney intends to do with the mutants, if they intends to keep them few or make them count hundreds or thousands (I'm hoping for the former).
Patricier21
Special Edition

Re: The New Mutants

Post by Patricier21 »

Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

The movie still looks interesting, even if there one thing I'm a little skeptical about: An article said it had similarities with Nightmare on Elm Street, as in going on in their mind or dreams instead of the real world. Not the whole movie obviously, but a lot of it. Which shouldn't come as a surprise considering Mirage's powers, which allow her to show someone their deepest fear. I guess I just prefer things to happen in the physical world, not the world of dreams and fear inside your head. But at least we are aware of the plot before we see the movie, so we know what to expect.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Mirage's powers created illusions within a person's mind. It wasn't until later on in the original New Mutants run that her power progressed so her illusions physically manifested in the real world. Hence, why Mirage would have to dispel the "illusion" with her dream spear since it actually existed.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

New Mutants Director Takes a Jab At Dark Phoenix: 'You Can Only Go Up'
https://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-directo ... k-phoenix/

The New Mutants sequel would've starred Antonio Banderas
https://ew.com/movies/the-new-mutants-s ... -banderas/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:New Mutants Director Takes a Jab At Dark Phoenix: 'You Can Only Go Up'
https://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-directo ... k-phoenix/
:lol: I didn't know Dark Phoenix was that disliked.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

Speaking of comic book movies, let’s talk about “The New Mutants” (it’s part of the X-men franchise), which has a female lead with a female love interest. Oh, and (spoilers!) these two women kiss, firmly, establishing that neither of these characters are squarely heterosexual.

20th Century Fox shuffled this movie all over the place, delaying it for months. Eventually its release ended up happening under Disney, who bought Fox and also seemed to want to hide the film.

To me, it was obvious they were scared of it.
https://www.petaluma360.com/article/ent ... defending/

Well, that's interesting. Wouldn't surprise me after what they did with Blue Sky Studios' final movie that was going to feature LGBT characters.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: The New Mutants sequel would've starred Antonio Banderas
https://ew.com/movies/the-new-mutants-s ... -banderas/
I take it from the "would've" in this article title that there will be no sequel. That's a shame. Just watched this today and I would've been interested in seeing more with these characters. I liked all of them other than the main girl, although her power (making dreams reality?) was an interesting one. It was really the actress who was bland in the role, but I thought the romance between her and Maisie Williams' character worked, there was chemistry there. The main actor being involved with the best of the actors could be what helped to lift those scenes. This film definitely had more horror elements than I associate with X-Men generally, several that reminded me a bit of Guillermo del Toro. The way the doctor dies is pretty brutal. I mean they didn't hold back at all and I didn't feel like she was as big of a villain as some you see in other superhero films to warrant a death that dark.

Interesting--I'm reading on its Wikipedia page right now that the directors responsible for this made The Stand, which I had watched two weeks back (the same time that I saw the two new South Park films on Paramount+). I wouldn't have guessed on my own, but I can see that.