What's New at Walt Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: What's New at Walt Disney World?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Facebook is telling me Disney lifted the block-out on Hollywood Studios (Galaxy’s Edge, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway) for CP’s today. Not sure if this also applies for regular cast— they have different blockout dates/different park passes than CP’s and it may not have been lifted for them. Little bright spot in the rainstorm.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This sucks and makes no sense. They will never need Epcot performers? I'm concerned and confused.

Matsuriza Taiko Drummers at EPCOT Ending March 15th https://wdwnt.com/?p=274528

Performances by Sergio the Master Juggler in the Italy Pavilion Ending March 15 at EPCOT https://wdwnt.com/?p=274632
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:This sucks and makes no sense. They will never need Epcot performers? I'm concerned and confused.

Matsuriza Taiko Drummers at EPCOT Ending March 15th https://wdwnt.com/?p=274528

Performances by Sergio the Master Juggler in the Italy Pavilion Ending March 15 at EPCOT https://wdwnt.com/?p=274632
I think British Revolution has also posted a farewell on Facebook. Entertainment is always the first to get cut, they may be back eventually— but the parks will have to tighten their belts drastically when they reopen, be that in weeks or months. We won’t know what exactly we missed out on, but I suspect plans for the 50th are being significantly scaled back, too.
blackcauldron85

I know there's no shortage of people wanting to work for :mickeyface:, but who knows if they'll get these drummers, or Sergio, or British Revolution back. They're kicking out people who have worked for :mickeyface: for decades. Is it a law now to fire people working on international work visas?!

So, in the article about DLR, it said CPs were being paid through March. Is that the same for other CMs, or will they be paid until the parks open?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:So, in the article about DLR, it said CPs were being paid through March. Is that the same for other CMs, or will they be paid until the parks open?
I don’t think anybody knows if they will be paid past March.... I’m afraid they won’t be, but I have no real idea myself...
blackcauldron85

I know it's not Disney's fault that the parks had to close, and I get that they are loosing a buttload of $, but I hope, not just for Disney employees but any employee worldwide whose company is shutting down for right now, that something happens so they don't get evicted/get the power turned off/cars repo'd, etc. :(
blackcauldron85

Disney is saying CPs interested in coming back can fill out a survey + Disney will contact them!

Disney College Program Releases Official Statement on Current Program Termination Due to “Social Distancing” and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Concerns https://wdwnt.com/?p=274747
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Also in that statement Disney says no College or International Program participant will be “without accommodations” and “we are working with each individual resident to help find the right solution to each unique circumstance.” Unfortunate this commitment was not apart of yesterday’s announcement, but it is a huge relief to the thousands of CP’s and their families to know that Disney will ensure these participants will exit the program safe and healthy and with secure housing situations.
blackcauldron85

^ But where? If not on the Disney-owned property, where?!

CDC recommends no gatherings of 50+ people (events, etc, not jobs) for at least 8 weeks:

CDC Issues New Guidance That Could Change Disney Parks Closure Length, Recommending Against Public Gatherings of 50 People or More For 8 Weeks Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
https://wdwnt.com/?p=274758
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

https://wdwnt.com/2020/03/video-an-emot ... -pandemic/

:(

This place is like a second home to me, happiest time of my life... The Most Magical Place on Earth is officially closed.
blackcauldron85

:( It really is officially closed (BREAKING: All Walt Disney World Resort Hotels Temporarily Closing on March 20; Disney Springs, Downtown Disney District, and All Disney Stores to Close March 17 Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic-- https://wdwnt.com/?p=274790) (but that article says that Disney Springs tenants like Starbucks may be able to stay open w/ tweaks. But w/ WDW shut down, how many locals go to the WDW location?) I wonder how many guests are still staying at the hotels...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

People are sharing aerial views of all the empty Orlando theme parks. I can’t bear to look at them. Today, my work announced we’re shutting down on Wednesday until March 30th (at least) which is ultimately a public good since so many children and grandparents visit the children’s museum where I work. Doesn’t sound like I’m getting paid, but our Board is having a meeting tomorrow night to discuss details supposedly. I’ll be alright, I have enough in the bank to get through April and I can rely on my parents for additional support if necessary. Mainly, I just hope I still have a job at the end of this.

Hard, scary times for all of us though! I was sent home from work early and on my way, I thought the next time I drive that way the world will be a different place...
blackcauldron85

Oh wow, I hope the board decides to pay you all, but if not, you have an amazing attitude about it! My work is discussing us working from home; I'm grateful I have a job done on the computer/phone so they'll just move my work computer home.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I don’t have a perfect situation, but I’m fortunate enough to know I’ll have a home and food (as long as the grocery stores stay stocked!) for the times ahead. I’m glad you can work from home!
blackcauldron85

:) We haven't been told yet that we can work from home, but my manager had forms to fill out and asked if we have smart phones, desks/chairs, Internet, surge protectors, etc, so they're talking about it. OMG I'm so concerned about stores. I'm thinking about getting extra dog food in case the stores close. And I have to vote tomorrow + one of my dogs has an appointment tomorrow, and I have appointments coming up and I'm NERVOUS!!!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh, I’m sorry I misread your post— I’m glad you have the capability to work from home! It’s good they are planning and working towards getting you guys set up. Of course, for my work it’s impossible to work remotely so instead I’m pushing my parents to understand the real gravity of the situation— I gave them money to buy some groceries and I think it sunk in because all the stores were empty. But we may be facing deprivations and a kind of lifestyle no American has lived in a very long time. Whatever happens, it is all uncharted! I hope everything works out for you with your appointments— and thank you for voting, I’m sure it’s nerve-wracking with the news but it’s so important. Voting by mail really ought to be more widespread...
blackcauldron85

Thank you!! I think we've claimed this thread as the UF + BC coronavirus thread!! I do hope your parents are supportive; it's not like you asked for your job to close. :(
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Haha yes we have (but nobody else seems to go into this section, so what’s the bother?)! My relationship with my parents can be rocky but ultimately I know I can count on them, and in this time that’s what matters.

Back on-topic and maybe to lift our spirits: of the newly opened or soon to be opened attractions, what are you most looking forward to experiencing? For me, it’s Tron. I’m a bit worried Cherry Tree Lane and the Mary Poppins attraction may get shuttered because of all this— but on the bright side, I’d rather them not cut corners on a Poppins if I ever do get one!
blackcauldron85

I'm excited for them all!! Mickey + Minnie's Runaway Railway is probably my #1 right now. I'm actually a little concerned if I'll be able to breathe on Tron, since you're sitting as if on a bike and not a "normal" roller coaster seat, right? I have asthma + already have breathing issues so I hope it's an amazing ride but I'm worried. I hope the Moana water attraction is cool and worth doing numerous times. I'm very curious about Epcot's transformation. GotG coaster should be awesome. Ooh, and the new Cirque De Soleil show!! I want more information on Cherry Tree Lane- I'm so happy that Mary Poppins is coming, but is it a walk through of 17 CTL? A ride? I don't know!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m excited to experience a trackless rise system— and if I’m able to make it out there this fall, I’ll be able to try three trackless rides! I wonder if anyone who has done Tron in Shanghai has been able to talk about riding it with the kinds of issues you’re talking about? Are you worried enough that you may never ride it or could it be a one and done thing based on the experience you have? I’m kinda worried about GOTG just because I’m a big baby... if it’s too intense for me based on YouTube videos I can’t do it— I don’t like to be surprised so no sudden or surprising steep drops, please! And we still don’t know what Poppins is going to look like.... theories range from an indoor carousel with large screens on all sides making you feel like you’re in an animated world to a Mary Poppins version of Enchanted Tales with Belle.