The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Farerb »

Do you think they'll keep Kiss the Girl as it is or will they change lyrics?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

They'll probably change some of the lyrics. If they don't, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:They'll probably change some of the lyrics. If they don't, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I certainly hope they don’t. I feel like changing anything Ashman wrote is such a disservice to his legacy. Every word he wrote was so perfect, and he’s really the reason why Mermaid was the success it was. I get why people think there’s an issue with the song but if there’s anything they should be upset about, it’s Sebastian making Eric feel uncomfortable and pressuring him. Nothing to do with Ariel. She wants kissed. It’s literally the plot of the film. It’s amazing how daft people are sometimes. Also the only reason the song made headlines for “consent” was because the all male accapella group brought people onstage from the audience and told them to kiss onstage every time they performed. If that hadn’t been the case, no one would have even objected to the song. But when you’re forcing random people to kiss onstage, you’ve got an issue.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

nomad2010 wrote:Also the only reason the song made headlines for “consent” was because the all male accapella group brought people onstage from the audience and told them to kiss onstage every time they performed. If that hadn’t been the case, no one would have even objected to the song. But when you’re forcing random people to kiss onstage, you’ve got an issue.
Wow, I had no idea about that. Wish they had reported this controversy rather than claim the song is problematic in general. I can see them changing Kiss the Girl's lyrics but then again, they changed Prince Ali's lyrics and that one turned out to be more dated and sexist so I have no idea what Disney was thinking there.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

nomad2010 wrote:Also the only reason the song made headlines for “consent” was because the all male accapella group brought people onstage from the audience and told them to kiss onstage every time they performed. If that hadn’t been the case, no one would have even objected to the song. But when you’re forcing random people to kiss onstage, you’ve got an issue.
Yes, I’m pretty sure these facts were talked about on this forum back when people were first speculating about this. My prediction is zero or very minimal changes to “Kiss the Girl.” By minimal, I mean small changes many songs in the film will probably receive. For instance, I expect “Poor Unfortunate Souls” to be similar to the way it was in the Live! show with the first and second half of the songs connected so there is no talking between.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I really hope we get a full cast llist for this remake sonn !!! :) :) :) :) :!: :!:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney is shutting down multiple productions over the coronavirus pandemic. Those films include The Little Mermaid, which was going to begin shooting in London next week. Mermaid, the Rob Marshall directed musical was set to begin to principal photography in London in ten days.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ns-1284541
Disney's Divinity

Not surprised, but I was looking forward to Disney finally confirming the cast. They never did confirm Melissa McCarthy the way they did Halle Bailey and others, did they? It's just something that "is known." :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:They never did confirm Melissa McCarthy the way they did Halle Bailey and others, did they? It's just something that "is known." :lol:
Well, Melissa McCarthy herself finally confirmed she was playing Ursula some weeks ago. I think the actors confirmed so far are Halle Bailey as Ariel, Jonah Hauer-King as Eric, Daveed Diggs as Sebastian, Jacob Tremblay as Flounder and Awkwafina as Scuttle. I believe Javier Bardem hasn't been confirmed as Triton yet, but as Sotiris pointed out, the shooting was about to begin so if someone else had been cast in the role, it would've been already announced by now.
Disney's Divinity

I guess they figured nobody cared about Triton anyway. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The songs have already been recorded.
Q: Have you been writing? What have you been doing in your downtime?

Alan Menken: It's been a great time for writing, yeah. Production stopped on the Little Mermaid movie. We recorded all the songs. I wrote four new songs with Lin-Manuel Miranda, the lyricist for Mermaid.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7zXC5vzvRo
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's wonderful!

You know, it's gonna be really sad when Eric pierces Melissa McCarthy's heart with a ship. :(
Disney's Divinity

I guess, looking on the bright side, LMM's involvement might mean more of the new songs actually make it into the finished product, since he's Disney's golden boy these days and they won't treat him like crap a la Menken, Elton John, etc.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

According to IMDb, Jamiyka Jones has been cast as the seahorse herald.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I hopw Charlotte, Grimbsy and Flotsam and Jetsam are still in the remake. Would be sad if they cut Flotsam and Jetsam ! :oops: :(

Or made Flotsam and Jetsam reaguler mute non-anthropomorpic eels :(
Disney's Divinity

Eric will doubtless have human advisors and servants, too, although they may not be named the same. Or they could name a character Grimsby and it could be played by some thirty- or forty-something instead of an old man. F&J will definitely be in this though, probably as electric eels like in the musical.

Maybe it’s just me, but gray-blue eels with glowing yellow eyes is much more interesting to me visually than green-gaudy-throwup-looking eels who light up. I always thought it was stupid how they can't be consistent with the fact that they're moray eels in the original. Sort of like how so often extraneous media forget that Ursula is half octopus, not half squid.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Eric will doubtless have human advisors and servants, too, although they may not be named the same. Or they could name a character Grimsby and it could be played by some thirty- or forty-something instead of an old man. F&J will definitely be in this though, probably as electric eels like in the musical.

Maybe it’s just me, but gray-blue eels with glowing yellow eyes is much more interesting to me visually than green-gaudy-throwup-looking eels who light up. I always thought it was stupid how they can't be consistent with the fact that they're moray eels in the original. Sort of like how so often extraneous media forget that Ursula is half octopus, not half squid.
Forgive me if i sound really stupid, :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: But what is the difference an octopus and an squid ?
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

DisneyFan97 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:Eric will doubtless have human advisors and servants, too, although they may not be named the same. Or they could name a character Grimsby and it could be played by some thirty- or forty-something instead of an old man. F&J will definitely be in this though, probably as electric eels like in the musical.

Forgive me if i sound really stupid, :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: But what is the difference an octopus and an squid ?
An octopus has 8 tentacles and a squid has 6. Pat Carroll says herself on the bonus features of the platinum DVD.
Disney's Divinity

You're not stupid, DisneyFan97. It's an honest question since they are very similar. Like universALLove said, squid have six tentacles. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert here, but squid tentacles and octopus tentacles generally look different from one another to me? Squid tentacles are thinner. Octopi tentacles are thicker, probably because they spend more time on the ocean floor, and they can even move on shore whereas I don't believe squid can? I could be wrong there; at least I've heard many stories about octopi on land, never any about a squid doing that. It makes sense that Ursula would be half octopus considering she sashays across the floor most of the movie, plus the thickness suits her human half. I think the only moment she looks somewhat squid-like is when she does the spin at the end of "Poor Unfortunate Souls" to the lyric "the boss is on a roll," but even then the tentacles sort of curl outwards at the bottom instead of staying pointed straight down like a squid's would do.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

There is a debate over whether Ursula is an octopus or a squid. Anyone know the definite answer? I had read the filmakers chose to make her an octopus when watching an octopus in a movie. I read on Wikipedia she is supposed to be an octopus but just with 6 tentacles.