Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Tangled: The Series

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So the only DVD releases were Tangled Before Ever After and Tangled: Queen For a Day, right?
D82 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Had they included a reprise of "I See the Light" in the existing ending, I would have preferred it over a wedding ending.
That would've been a nice touch. Though maybe the lyrics should've been changed a bit, because they're not in the same situation in their lives as they were then.
As for what I originally meant: I thought they should've sung a reprise of "I See the Light" after Rapunzel accepted Eugene's proposal. It could've been as short as 30 seconds. It would've fit because he's asked many times and "at last she's seen the light."
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:So the only DVD releases were Tangled Before Ever After and Tangled: Queen For a Day, right?
Yes. I wonder with Disney+ if they won't release anymore. I don't have cable, so I'm looking forward to catching up with the show when I have time on D+.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I also found it quite difficult, and I only ranked my top 10! By the way, I forgot to say in my post that I also excluded the reprises.
I've decided to rank the reprises too but separately from the full songs. Here it goes! By the way, how come reprises are always so good? Sometimes, they're even better than the full songs. Does science have an answer for that? :lol:

01. Next Stop Anywhere (Reprise)
02. Waiting in the Wings (Reprise)
03. Wind in My Hair (Reprise)
04. Let Me Make You Proud (Reprise)
05. Life After Happily Ever After (Reprise)
06. The Girl Who Has Everything (Reprise)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:As for what I originally meant: I thought they should've sung a reprise of "I See the Light" after Rapunzel accepted Eugene's proposal. It could've been as short as 30 seconds. It would've fit because he's asked many times and "at last she's seen the light."
OK, I see. Yes, maybe it could've worked then.
Sotiris wrote:I've decided to rank the reprises too but separately from the full songs. Here it goes! By the way, how come reprises are always so good? Sometimes, they're even better than the full songs. Does science have an answer for that? :lol:
That's a great idea! Maybe I'll do the same. Personally, I almost always prefer the full song, but it's true that reprises tend to be good. One of the reasons for that might be that the songs that get reprises are usually the best ones. Also, many times the lyrics are cleverly given a new meaning or adapted for a different situation. One of the few cases where I prefer the reprise is "One Jump Ahead". The reprise of "Belle" is also really good, but I think I prefer the full song.
D82 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:4. Crossing the Line ~ The second half when Cass is singing mostly by herself isn't as good as that first half with them singing together. I love the first half of the song.
I agree, I also find the first half much better than the second. Maybe it was better in the extended version the composers initially created.
I think this is the first time I quote myself, but I wanted to correct my answer a bit. I've listened to the song again and I was mistaken, the part that I don't like as much as the rest is not the entire last half like you Disney's Divinity, but just the chorus, which is the last 40 seconds of the song. It's not bad, but in my opinion, what comes before is stronger. With a better chorus, I think this could've been one of my favorites because I really like the lyrics and the melody up to that point. But, as I said, maybe my problems with the song would've been solved if they had released the initial version, because one of my complaints is also that it feels incomplete. Perhaps the chorus just needed more time to fully work. The same happens to me with another song, "With You by My Side". I wonder if that one was also reduced before being recorded.

Speaking of the songs, do you guys think Menken has any chance of being nominated for the Emmys with one of the songs from the third season? I'm not sure which of the songs are eligible for the next ceremony, but in my opinion "Nothing Left to Lose" could maybe a have a shot.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Personally, I almost always prefer the full song, but it's true that reprises tend to be good. One of the reasons for that might be that the songs that get reprises are usually the best ones. Also, many times the lyrics are cleverly given a new meaning or adapted for a different situation. One of the few cases where I prefer the reprise is "One Jump Ahead". The reprise of "Belle" is also really good, but I think I prefer the full song.
That's a good explanation. I think it's also because the arrangement usually changes and the tempo slows down. I prefer the One Jump Ahead and Belle reprises to the full songs. Of course, that's not to say the full songs aren't great too.
D82 wrote:Speaking of the songs, do you guys think Menken has any chance of being nominated for the Emmys with one of the songs from the third season? I'm not sure which of the songs are eligible for the next ceremony, but in my opinion "Nothing Left to Lose" could maybe a have a shot.
Honestly, I've given up hope of that happening.
Disney's Divinity

MrXemnas1992 wrote: Not to mention the overall design parallels of her demon form to Chernabog...
Oh, yes, very true!

Looking at Tiri's early appearance in the episode with the witch painting the tree, you can see a couple things were left out of her finished appearance in the finale (probably to make it easier to animate). In that early episode, the spikes at the elbows and the shape of the fingers look just like Dragon Maleficent.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I think it's also because the arrangement usually changes and the tempo slows down.
That's definitely one of the reasons too.
Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:Speaking of the songs, do you guys think Menken has any chance of being nominated for the Emmys with one of the songs from the third season? I'm not sure which of the songs are eligible for the next ceremony, but in my opinion "Nothing Left to Lose" could maybe a have a shot.
Honestly, I've given up hope of that happening.
Yeah, after all the snubs I guess it's better not to get our hopes up.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

As I'm in the UK, I don't have a chance of watching this ( I don't have Disney Channel etc ), so I was waiting for the launch of Disney+ ( £49.99 for the year ) .... but in their announcement of what will be on there, TANGLED ISN'T LISTED ! :x

The film is, but not the show under either Tangled: The Series or Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure. Absolutely gutted. Unless they are adding titles still, this would seriously give me pause before purchasing for the year.

I know there is no hope in hell, but I would love for them to release an 'Art Of' book based on this show ... the stuff the animators share on twitter is just spectacular !
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

Atlantica wrote:As I'm in the UK, I don't have a chance of watching this ( I don't have Disney Channel etc ), so I was waiting for the launch of Disney+ ( £49.99 for the year ) .... but in their announcement of what will be on there, TANGLED ISN'T LISTED ! :x

The film is, but not the show under either Tangled: The Series or Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure. Absolutely gutted. Unless they are adding titles still, this would seriously give me pause before purchasing for the year.

I know there is no hope in hell, but I would love for them to release an 'Art Of' book based on this show ... the stuff the animators share on twitter is just spectacular !
An "Art Of Tangled the Series" book would be amazing.

If MLP: FiM and Spyro Reignited could get one and Jurassic World's getting one for its entire trilogy next year, then I definitely could see one for this show get put out.
Disney's Divinity

I'm so sorry, Atlantica. :( Hopefully you'll be able to find it via YouTube or something, I know some episodes are on there.

I do hope there's an art book--that would be wonderful!
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Is there a soundtrack for season 3?

(Sorry if it's already posted, but I don't want to read too much, because I haven't seen the last episodes yet)
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Atlantica wrote:As I'm in the UK, I don't have a chance of watching this ( I don't have Disney Channel etc ), so I was waiting for the launch of Disney+ ( £49.99 for the year ) .... but in their announcement of what will be on there, TANGLED ISN'T LISTED ! :x

Don’t worry! Disney did this with a lot of stuff when it launched in the states. Hannah Montana for example wasn’t listed but was up on launch day along with a lot of other titles. Could be it won’t be there, but my guess is it’s an oversight.
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote: I think this is the first time I quote myself, but I wanted to correct my answer a bit. I've listened to the song again and I was mistaken, the part that I don't like as much as the rest is not the entire last half like you Disney's Divinity, but just the chorus, which is the last 40 seconds of the song. It's not bad, but in my opinion, what comes before is stronger. With a better chorus, I think this could've been one of my favorites because I really like the lyrics and the melody up to that point. But, as I said, maybe my problems with the song would've been solved if they had released the initial version, because one of my complaints is also that it feels incomplete.
I was able to purchase the soundtrack today and was listening to CtL in repeat, and I do like the ending better than when I was listening through YouTube. I think it's just a few clunker lyrics like Cass calling herself "the luckless" v. Rapunzel "the blessed" that kind of throws me off a little.

I do wish Menken could win an Emmy, but, like Sotiris, I think I've given up on that happening. :(
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

bruno_wbt wrote:Is there a soundtrack for season 3?
Yes, there is. Here are the Amazon and Spotity links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0859 ... s_sp_ps_dp
https://open.spotify.com/album/7y9MPw7xXw4FYZJFZDZVeP
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

D82 wrote:
bruno_wbt wrote:Is there a soundtrack for season 3?
Yes, there is. Here are the Amazon and Spotity links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0859 ... s_sp_ps_dp
https://open.spotify.com/album/7y9MPw7xXw4FYZJFZDZVeP

Thank you so much!!! :wave:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^You're welcome. :)
Disney's Divinity wrote:I was able to purchase the soundtrack today and was listening to CtL in repeat, and I do like the ending better than when I was listening through YouTube. I think it's just a few clunker lyrics like Cass calling herself "the luckless" v. Rapunzel "the blessed" that kind of throws me off a little.
OK. Personally I don't mind that, but I understand why you have a problem with it.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I do wish Menken could win an Emmy, but, like Sotiris, I think I've given up on that happening. :(
Yeah, if they haven't even nominated him for any of the great songs he has made for the first two seasons, it's not very likely that'll happen now.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I do hope there's an art book--that would be wonderful!
Yes, an Art of/Making of book would be great. I'd love to see all that concept art in one place and learn more about alternate or cut storylines and concepts like the moon flower or Cass being an archer. But there's no chance of that happening. Disney has never released an 'Art of' book for a Disney Channel/Disney Junior TV series. The closest thing they've done is the upcoming book about the Disney Afternoon and that took them decades to publish! Maybe by the time the live-action Tangled comes out, they'll release a book covering the entire franchise.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I think it's just a few clunker lyrics like Cass calling herself "the luckless" v. Rapunzel "the blessed" that kind of throws me off a little.
The word "luckless" also threw me off when I first listened to the song. It's an awkward-sounding word and an odd choice for a song.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I do wish Menken could win an Emmy, but, like Sotiris, I think I've given up on that happening. :(
I've looked it up and the songs that are eligible for the 47th Daytime Emmys (the nominations of which will be announced in April) are Crossing the Line, Stronger Than Ever Before, and Bigger Than That. I would be thrilled if Crossing the Line got nominated as it is one of my favorite songs in the series and easily the best of the three, in my opinion. It would be fitting if the nominated song was the duet between Rapunzel and Cassandra whose relationship was the crux of season 3 and arguably the entire show.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: Yes, an Art of/Making of book would be great. I'd love to see all that concept art in one place and learn more about alternate or cut storylines and concepts like the moon flower or Cass being an archer. But there's no chance of that happening. Disney has never released an 'Art of' book for a Disney Channel/Disney Junior TV series. The closest thing they've done is the upcoming book about the Disney Afternoon and that took them decades to publish! Maybe by the time the live-action Tangled comes out, they'll release a book covering the entire franchise.
Sorry, I forgot myself for a moment there. :lol: This is Disney and Disney can't even be bothered to release the shows themselves, much less an art book about them. I should be grateful we even got soundtracks for the series.

Was there a particular reason they limited themselves to ten songs per season, btw?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Was there a particular reason they limited themselves to ten songs per season, btw?
It was a decision made by the showrunner. He said there was so much story to cover in each 22-minute episode that it didn't leave any room for songs. Therefore, the songs were mostly reserved for the double-length, special event episodes (i.e. season premieres, mid-season finales, and season finales). Personally, I'm not buying that because a) most episodes were filler and b) other Disney animated TV shows like Sofia the First, Elena of Avalor, The Lion Guard, Fancy Nancy etc. have a song in every episode.
Disney's Divinity

Yes, I agree, many episodes were filler, and honestly a random feel-good song by Rapunzel, Flynn, Varian, or Lance during the filler episodes would have lifted them, if anything. Sort of like Lance's "Bigger Than That," which didn't really have a story purpose, but was a fun, little ditty.

Perhaps it was a condition by Menken and Slater? This is the first time the original composer has followed a property to TV, isn't it? At least with Disney anyway; maybe there are non-Disney examples.