Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes DisneyFan09, while I was sad to hear certain criticisms, I am mature enough to agree, or get over it, and despite either, still love the film.
Well, I understand why you think so. Sleeping Beauty could easily be perceived as being more steril, since it's more pretentious, stylistic and po-faced. Yet personally, I though it had moments of pathos and emotion as well. Despite how Aurora's screentime doesn't get expanded enough, I personally think they managed to pull off some sympathy for her. When she mourns over Philip and when Malificent puts on the curse, I personally think they've succeeded to make you feel sorry for her.
I have never heard anyone say this before. The closest thing is my mom cried when the fairies cried over sleeping Aurora. Well, that is a good thing for the film, if people can feel those emotions for it! If that is the case, I can see Sleeping Beauty being second, but I just don't think the majority of people feel much emotion for the film. I think most people love it because it's so beautiful and epic.
Well, this entry wasn't about my personal opinion about her passiveness. But about how she's usually perceived as such, right? We all know how our dear Cindy is practically criticized for being passive and that was something that what I wanted to discuss. Not about my personal opinion about it
Oh, ok. Can I then know what your opinion on that is? And do you merely like the film or do you love the film?
Oh, sorry about that. I just picked it up through my research. But I can correct it.
Thanks!

I forgot to say, something I had never heard before was that Walt Disney was thinking of using ballet music for the film. That would have been lovely, and made it a lot like Sleeping Beauty! Thank you for that new nugget of knowledge, as well as others.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Hey Disney Duster. Sorry for my late response, I've been busy lately.
Disney Duster wrote:Yes DisneyFan09, while I was sad to hear certain criticisms, I am mature enough to agree, or get over it, and despite either, still love the film.
Sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intention.
I have never heard anyone say this before. The closest thing is my mom cried when the fairies cried over sleeping Aurora. Well, that is a good thing for the film, if people can feel those emotions for it! If that is the case, I can see Sleeping Beauty being second, but I just don't think the majority of people feel much emotion for the film. I think most people love it because it's so beautiful and epic.
Yes, I think that's the reason for why people love it. For the music and the visuals and also because of it's sheer darkness, sophistication and adult appeal. That's really one of the reasons for why I cherish the film more now than in my childhood, since I found it too tedious and pedestrian back then (but hey, I was only a child).
Oh, ok. Can I then know what your opinion on that is? And do you merely like the film or do you love the film?
Well, to be fair, I rather like it than love it. I used to be more fond of it when I was a kid, since it appealed to me more back then. But I certainly don't hate the movie ;)
I forgot to say, something I had never heard before was that Walt Disney was thinking of using ballet music for the film. That would have been lovely, and made it a lot like Sleeping Beauty! Thank you for that new nugget of knowledge, as well as others.
You're welcome :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, don't worry DisneyFan09, you never offended me! I agree Sleeping Beauty does have those aspects you listed in your last response. I'm glad that even if you don't love it, you like Cinderella. Oh, and one more thing, I liked the joke about Cinderella making the slipper overnight, because I always wondered, what if they doubted if that slipper was really a match for the other one, and wondered if she just created her own match to get the Prince? lol.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's funny cause to me it was always:
1. Sleeping Beauty
2. Cinderella
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

For me it goes like this. This is how I would rank both the films and the storybooks as well.

1) Sleeping Beauty
2) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
3) Cinderella
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb and JeanGreyForever, do you feel emotion from Sleeping Beauty?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Cinderella probably has more emotion and Cinderella is probably my favorite Walt character, but I don't think Sleeping Beauty lacks emotion and on a technical level I find it to be more superior than Cinderella.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, wow, I am so happy Cinderella is your favorite Walt character, that's really surprising and wonderful for a fan of hers as big as me to hear, but I was wondering if I could know what specific emotion you feel from Sleeping Beauty, unless it is way to much to list all the times you feel emotion from it. I must agree, it is technically better than either Cinderella or Snow White.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It's got less emotion than say Cinderella, but I don't think it's entirely devoid of emotion. Such as the fairies crying when they feel they've failed in protecting Aurora from Maleficent or Aurora herself in tears when she can't marry the man she loves. Flora's voice, torn with regret, when she says "I'll never forgive myself" always gets to me.

Phillip refusing to marry the princess he is betrothed to and willing to abdicate the throne for the peasant girl he's fallen in love with I think is a real emotional high especially when Aurora finally wakes up and sees him. Maleficent taunting Phillip about leaving him locked up for 100 years before he can finally wake her up is truly chilling and really makes you root for the young couple even if nothing else did. Aurora being reunited with her parents at the end is an understated but poignant moment.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, thank you for telling me all those parts you feel emotion from JeanGreyForever! I haven't felt emotion for those parts, but if others do, more power to them and to Sleeping Beauty! It means, if it gets such emotion, it really is a good film!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm curious, what parts of Sleeping Beauty do you feel emotions for?
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's the thing, I don't feel any emotions for Sleeping Beauty except joy over the magical parts and the other aspects of it I like. I don't feel emotional joy though, it's more like just pleasure.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

That's a pity to hear although if you can still enjoy the film and consider it one of your favorites after Cinderella, I suppose that not feeling any emotional joy doesn't really hamper your feelings towards it so then it's a not a pity after all.

BTW, which princess film or even Walt Disney film do you think has the least emotions for you, besides Sleeping Beauty?
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hm. Um. I don't know. In all honesty, it is only Cinderella and Snow White that I really feel emotions for heavily. I think I feel at least slight emotion for all the rest. When I was a kid, I felt the romance between Belle and the Beast and I really liked that aspect. I feel pleasure from all the Disney Princess films. Oh, I felt sad for Ariel when she cries as the wedding ship leaves, and I think I still do!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh wow, that surprises me that out of all the Disney films (unless you just meant DP films), you really only feel emotions for Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and a little towards BATB, at least as a kid, and for TLM. I think I feel emotions for most Disney films or the best ones anyway whether it's Penny's sorrow in The Rescuers, Lilo talking about her deceased parents, Ariel sobbing for Eric like you said, or Dumbo being separated from his mother.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Don't worry I just meant Disney Princess films! And no Disney Princess Revival film has moved me, really, emotionally. Oh, except I did feel really bad when Rapunzel feels betrayed by Finn and cries and runs to Mother Gothel. That actually really got me. I didn't cry but it hit me. Dumbo makes me cry or almost does when I watch it.

I wanted to tell others here, there is a Saks Fifth Avenue Cinderella Collector Doll that may have come out for Cindy's 70th anniversary, and her dress is SILVER! I bought her and love her! Here's a picture:

Also, in this video, Disney officially recognizes Cinderella's dress as silver! But I am unsure how they found out Cinderella was 19 and her shoe size was 4 1/2. I mean, I know they have archives, but did the Disney filmakers write that down? Especially when I heard she was 18.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ That doll is beautiful! And that Princess Club video you posted: I thought Belle was the oldest princess, and how was the fashion based on 1950s French clothes when the movie came out in 1950?!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh ok that makes more sense especially since Bambi is one of your favorites so if you didn't feel emotional from that, I'm not sure what other Disney film would lol. That scene you pointed out in Tangled is one of the few that I actually like and feel something for.

I'm not sure about Cinderella's age either. 19 is what fans have claimed is official for years now but there's never been any solid proof for it. They call her the oldest Disney Princess which doesn't make sense because Tiana is 19 as well and when Pocahontas came out, she was referred to as the oldest Disney Princess and she's definitely not 19. Also film promotion in 1950 made Cinderella 18 so I go by that number. Disney has an annoying habit of changing their canon to suit the Disney Princess franchise like how they made Belle 18 from 17 or changed up the order of Ariel's sisters.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Blackcauldron85, I'm so glad you like the doll, and you are so right, how could Disney base a character's clothes on fashion that came out after they finished the movie? Well, I think they meant 40's-50's fashion, but maybe they made a mistake. There is a site that said Cinderella's film shows the progression from 40's war-time fashion to more extravgant 50's fashion. So maybe even though the fashions they used did not come out in the 50's, they were clear indicators of what 50's fashion was going to look like! And maybe that's what they meant!

JeanGreyForever, glad you like that Tangled scene, too, and yes, I always thought Cinderella was 18. Didn't know that about Belle. I think you are right about what Disney does. Oh, you know, I think I always felt emotional joy when Ariel comes out of the water toward Eric at the end, finally able to be with him!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Belle turns 17 in the alternate opening for the film. In Maurice's cottage in the Magic Kingdom, there are 18 notches on the wall implying that Maurice has measured her height for every year of her life.
ImageImage