Comparing Home Releases Cover Arts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Comparing Home Releases Cover Arts

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyBluLife wrote:Cinderella Japanese Laserdisc Collector's edition gift set
I really like the artwork from picture 4 (Cinderella running down the stairs leaving the glass slipper behind)
And
Picture 6 (The logo uses the "Black Diamond " VHS Artwork but has Cinderella in her ballgown instead of the Pink dress)
https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Rare-2-Disc-Comme ... 3345466521

Just imagine, a lenticular slipcover with the "Black Diamond" VHS artwork of Cinderella. Switching from her pink dress to her ballgown from the artwork of the Japanese Laserdisc
That sixth picture didn't open up fully for me but from what I was able to see of it, it reminds me of this.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8-cr_nSzS/
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:That sixth picture didn't open up fully for me but from what I was able to see of it, it reminds me of this.
I had the same problem. Can you see that picture on this other link I found?

Yes, it's like that fan made cover you posted. I remember having seen it before, but I didn't know there was also an official version by Disney.
DisneyBluLife wrote:Just imagine, a lenticular slipcover with the "Black Diamond" VHS artwork of Cinderella. Switching from her pink dress to her ballgown from the artwork of the Japanese Laserdisc
That's a great idea! I'm actually surprised Disney hasn't thought of doing something like that.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney using rescue dogs for the Lady and the Tramp remake is so good of them.

I like that Cinderella laserdisc set, except actually I never thought Cinderella in her ballgown looked right in that Black Diamond art. Like, I don't think she would pose like that in it, or that her skirt is big enough.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:That sixth picture didn't open up fully for me but from what I was able to see of it, it reminds me of this.
I had the same problem. Can you see that picture on this other link I found?

Yes, it's like that fan made cover you posted. I remember having seen it before, but I didn't know there was also an official version by Disney.
Yes, thank you, that link worked for me! And the fanart cover was posted here sometime back in this forum so I was familiar with it, but like you, i had no idea that Disney had made an official version as well.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm glad the link worked for you, JeanGreyForever. :)
blackcauldron85 wrote:Actually, with the live-action L&tT, Disney posted an animal adoption-focused video on YouTube! I was super impressed. And they used rescue dogs in that film (I still haven't seen it though).
It's great Disney did all that. There's also an abandonment scene in the film that is heartbreaking. I liked they added it even though it's not in the original.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I know Disney has some causes that they use their animated characters to promote (Cinderella for child safety seats in cars, Aurora for deforestation, Ariel for keeping our oceans clean, etc.) but they should really consider using some of their iconic dog characters to promote shelters. Lady and the Tramp come to mind considering it's a key part of their story.
That's a wonderful idea. It would be great if they did that.
blackcauldron85 wrote:This is one of my absolute favorite TBC posters that I think would make a nice cover:
https://imgur.com/a/VIPgCd7
Some characters are not completely on-model, but I quite like that poster too. By the way, in Spain the name of the protagonist is also in the title like in that poster, but he's called Taron instead of Taran here. I don't know why they changed it for the Spanish version, maybe they thought Taran sounded femenine in Spanish.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Great Mouse Detective:

VHS 1:

VHS 2:

DVD:

Blu-ray:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I guess my favorite is the first VHS cover, even if the colors are off. The second VHS is second, but I don't like much about any of these, unfortunately.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I completely agree with Disney's Divinity. That's how I feel about these covers.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Only the second VHS has right colors, every other cover has Basil in green clothes (brown clothes in the movie) and Olivia in pink clothes (blue clothes in the movie).
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

The Great Mouse detective. The movie is called in the UK "Basil -the great mouse detective", alot of people read the title as "Basil Mouse the great detective. But I don't blame them when you look at the title on this "Villains" cover.

UK "Villains" cover
https://www.pinterest.se/pin/543317142521524157/

UK "Heroes" cover. Also the Blu-ray cover.
https://store.hmv.com/store/film-tv/blu ... -detective
https://store.hmv.com/store/film-tv/blu ... -detective

All the covers in the world
https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/The_Grea ... 28video%29
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

In Israel the film is not really known. This is actually the only film not to be dubbed in Hebrew (besides the Package films), thus as a child I didn't grow up with it. The first time I actually watched it was a couple of years ago and I thought the film was charming and my favorite of all the post Walt, pre Renaissance films. Therefore, I didn't have any VHS or DVD so I don't really have an opinion on these covers. They're not bad, but not spectacular either. I do think it's a shame they have the wrong colors, probably because they think brown will not attract people's attention or something.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

VHS1 is my favorite, but I agree that none are great. This movie has better movie posters that would have been better (Toby or Olivia are the biggest characters on some of the posters...).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

VHS2 is my favorite. It's also the UK DVD cover and at least the correct title is at the bottom.
DisneyBluLife wrote:Only the second VHS has right colors, every other cover has Basil in green clothes (brown clothes in the movie) and Olivia in pink clothes (blue clothes in the movie).
That's another reason I prefer it.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

My favourite is the second VHS. I like its simplicity, the painterly look, and of course, that it has the right colors. I also like the Big Ben in the background, but I wish it had a bit more detail.

My second favourite is the first VHS. The layout is nice and the characters are more or less on-model (except for Ratigan). It's a shame it has the wrong colors.

Of the other two, I don't know which one is worse. I prefer the idea for the DVD, but the characters are horribly drawn there and the background is too simple. The Blu-ray is slightly more decent. At least Basil looks OK on it. I would’ve preferred the UK "Heroes" cover over the Blu-ray one if not for the fact that the magnifying glass seems to have no lens on the former.

DisneyBluLife wrote:Only the second VHS has right colors, every other cover has Basil in green clothes (brown clothes in the movie) and Olivia in pink clothes (blue clothes in the movie).
The poster for the 1992 re-release already had the characters in those colors. Maybe all these covers were copied from it. Though farerb's explanation also makes sense.
DisneyBluLife wrote:The Great Mouse detective. The movie is called in the UK "Basil -the great mouse detective", alot of people read the title as "Basil Mouse the great detective. But I don't blame them when you look at the title on this "Villains" cover.

UK "Villains" cover
Wow, that's way worse than the title from The Fox and the Hound I complained about. In Spain the name of the protagonist is also included in the title, but I actually didn't know that the UK title was different than the US one. That rarely happens, right?
farerb wrote:In Israel the film is not really known. This is actually the only film not to be dubbed in Hebrew (besides the Package films), thus as a child I didn't grow up with it. The first time I actually watched it was a couple of years ago and I thought the film was charming and my favorite of all the post Walt, pre Renaissance films.
That's really curious. It's a shame they didn't even bother to dub the film in your country. I love the movie too. It's not my favorite from that period, but it's in my top 3 along with The Rescuers and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
JeanGreyForever wrote:VHS2 is my favorite. It's also the UK DVD cover and at least the correct title is at the bottom.
In Spain we also had that cover, but without the title at the bottom. Basil of Baker Street is such a better title. I'm glad they at least included it there somehow.
Disney's Divinity

I do like the UK's villain cover and the French DVD limited edition cover for this one. Basil the (Great) Mouse Detective would be alright. I'm just assuming here, but the Swedish version looks like it's "Master Detective Basil," which is a nice way of turning it around (of course it might also be Master Detective Basil Mouse... They'd be better leaving off the mouse part.). I think Basil coming at the end of the title rather than the beginning would work better.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:My favourite is the second VHS. I like its simplicity, the painterly look, and of course, that it has the right colors. I also like the Big Ben in the background, but I wish it had a bit more detail.

My second favourite is the first VHS. The layout is nice and the characters are more or less on-model (except for Ratigan). It's a shame it has the wrong colors.

Of the other two, I don't know which one is worse. I prefer the idea for the DVD, but the characters are horribly drawn there and the background is too simple. The Blu-ray is slightly more decent. At least Basil looks OK on it. I would’ve preferred the UK "Heroes" cover over the Blu-ray one if not for the fact that the magnifying glass seems to have no lens on the former.

The poster for the 1992 re-release already had the characters in those colors. Maybe all these covers were copied from it. Though farerb's explanation also makes sense.
DisneyBluLife wrote:The Great Mouse detective. The movie is called in the UK "Basil -the great mouse detective", alot of people read the title as "Basil Mouse the great detective. But I don't blame them when you look at the title on this "Villains" cover.

UK "Villains" cover
Wow, that's way worse than the title from The Fox and the Hound I complained about. In Spain the name of the protagonist is also included in the title, but I actually didn't know that the UK title was different than the US one. That rarely happens, right?
farerb wrote:In Israel the film is not really known. This is actually the only film not to be dubbed in Hebrew (besides the Package films), thus as a child I didn't grow up with it. The first time I actually watched it was a couple of years ago and I thought the film was charming and my favorite of all the post Walt, pre Renaissance films.
That's really curious. It's a shame they didn't even bother to dub the film in your country. I love the movie too. It's not my favorite from that period, but it's in my top 3 along with The Rescuers and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
JeanGreyForever wrote:VHS2 is my favorite. It's also the UK DVD cover and at least the correct title is at the bottom.
In Spain we also had that cover, but without the title at the bottom. Basil of Baker Street is such a better title. I'm glad they at least included it there somehow.
I agree with everything you said about the covers and your preferences.

I much prefer the UK title, Basil the Great Mouse Detective. The only other time I can think of a Disney film with a different name in the UK is Zootopia/Zootropolis. That really confuses Americans when they find out about that. I wish the UK had gone all the way and kept the original title of Basil of Baker Street though since the whole reason the title was changed in the US was because it was too British.

Those three films you mentioned as your favorite from the Dark Age are my three favs as well! Although I rank Pooh and The Rescuers much higher than Basil.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I much prefer the UK title, Basil the Great Mouse Detective. The only other time I can think of a Disney film with a different name in the UK is Zootopia/Zootropolis. That really confuses Americans when they find out about that. I wish the UK had gone all the way and kept the original title of Basil of Baker Street though since the whole reason the title was changed in the US was because it was too British.
You're right, that wouldn't have been a problem for them. They should've kept the original title. But I also prefer the one they got to the US one. Yes, Zootopia is the only other case I knew too of a different title for the UK. It's also called Zootropolis in Spain and some other European countries. I believe it was due to copyright issues this time.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Those three films you mentioned as your favorite from the Dark Age are my three favs as well! Although I rank Pooh and The Rescuers much higher than Basil.
I also rank them higher than Basil, but I think the three of them are great. I'm glad we agree on that and on the covers. :)
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I do like the UK's villain cover and the French DVD limited edition cover for this one. Basil the (Great) Mouse Detective would be alright. I'm just assuming here, but the Swedish version looks like it's "Master Detective Basil," which is a nice way of turning it around (of course it might also be Master Detective Basil Mouse... They'd be better leaving off the mouse part.). I think Basil coming at the end of the title rather than the beginning would work better.
Yes, the title in Sweden is "The master detective Basil Mouse"

Mus= Mouse
Mäster= Master
Detektiv= Detective
Detektiven= The detective
Mästerdetektiven= The master detective
Because the letters "en" are at the end of the word "Detektiven" means it is a "The". So it means "the detective"

"The Black Cauldron" is called in Sweden "Taran och den magiska kitteln" which translates to "Taran and the magical cauldron".

Funny thing is that in the Swedish redub of the movie from 1998, some characters like The horned king calls the cauldron as "the magical cauldron" while other characters like Taran and Eilonwy calls it "the Black Cauldron". So, the cauldron has two names in the Swedish redub from 1998. The characters in the original Swedish dub from 1985 all called the cauldron "the Black Cauldron"
Disney's Divinity

Thank you, DisneyBluLife. :) It's interesting that so many of their films put names in the titles overseas. Basil, Taran, and I think one for The Sword in the Stone included Merlin's name in the title. I wonder why that is. Some names just don't have the weight for a title, imo.

I remember discussing the change between the title "The Frog Princess" (which I preferred) to "The Princess and the Frog" (which is alright, but a mouthful), and some suggested the film be called "Tiana." I just didn't think that was a name that could carry a story like "Cinderella" or "Rapunzel," personally, and that's the way I feel about some of these.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

The Swedish title for 101 Dalmatians is "Pongo och de 101 dalmatinerna". In English it means "Pongo and the 101 Dalmatians". :)