Peter Pan & Wendy (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Peter Pan (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Ireland may be the perfect place for Neverland! And I hope the budget's as big as the other remakes. Neverland needs a big budget to be done justice. Is the budget close to the other remakes? I don't know that stuff. I hope this turns out deep, touching, magical, and powerful like Hook. I haven't seen the 2003 Peter Pan but the trailer made it seem a little too goofy. Maybe I'm wrong how the film really is.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The trailer for Peter Pan (2003) is admittedly not very good so I wouldn't judge the movie based on that alone, otherwise I can see why you wouldn't be interested in it. I do think you'll like the movie if you give it a try though. It's awfully romantic and whimsical, moreso than the Disney version, while also a bit more darker and mature. Mainly, you should watch it for the incredible flying scene. The score for that scene rivals some of Disney's best and Disney even used it in commercials for their parks which shows how much they wish they could have been responsible for it.

I personally found Hook to be pretty bland. Although unlike Christopher Robin, at least it came out almost 30 years ago.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I hope my library has the 2003 Peter Pan so I can watch it. Otherwise I'll have to rent it off Amazon or buy it or something. I don't know when 'll see it but I will see it for sure. I love Hook. It actually got bad reviews when it came out but it's quite loved by a lot of people.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Hook seems to be one of those movies that people either love or hate. I'm personally not a fan but for some people, it's the definitive Peter Pan. It's actually coming out in 4K UHD with 11 new deleted scenes this October.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love Hook, too. I’ll admit that I have nostalgia blinders on because I can see the flaws—I just don’t care.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's interesting because these days I feel like my nostalgia is dead and I see films, even my old loved ones, as good or bad as they really are, and I didn't feel there were any flaws to the film except the crocodile seeming fake (and the comic burp I didn't like). But it could be my nostalgia too, I don't know.

I don't see it as the definitive Peter Pan though as it's not really that story told in the present so I find that others do find it the definitive Peter Pan interesting. And wow, great news about it coming to home video with all that!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I really liked Hook when I was younger, but I feel like I appreciate it a lot more now. Back then, I enjoyed it as a Peter Pan adventure. Nowadays, I see more of the personal element of the story and I also really admire the technical elements. It's clear to me now that Spielberg made Hook shortly after having his first child and he was trying to balance his filmmaking career with being a parent and he feared becoming that workaholic, neglectful father Peter was at the start of the movie. Hook was also made during that period when Spielberg was trying to prove himself as a capable director of more serious, less popcorn fare and attempting to be taken more seriously in the film industry.

There's a lot of internal struggle going on with that movie. That scene where Peter finally remembers his childhood and why he chose to grow up remains one of my favourite scenes in any Spielberg movie.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

All that information is cool, and what a wonderful story of your personal feelings and view.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We haven't heard anything on the project in a while. Could Disney be delaying its release until 2023 when the copyright expires in the U.S. so they won't have to obtain a license and pay royalties to Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Wasn't it relegated to the streaming service? I doubt Disney has much care for it especially after all the previous Pan films flopped at the box office, much like all the Arthurian ones. I don't think we've heard anything about the live-action Sword in the Stone and King Arthur films either that Disney planned.
ImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Millie Bobby Brown should play Wendy. They can use her star power from Stranger Things to get people to see the movie.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

This is the remake(besides the black Cauldron) i have the least problem with out of all of them. I don't think Peter Pan is a particularly great movie. In fact i find it rather forgettable.

I think it can be improved.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I don't like the name change. They didn't need to do that to give Wendy a more prominent role.
We have learned that Disney’s live-action ‘Peter Pan’ remake has been retitled to ‘Peter Pan and Wendy’ and that the film will eyeing to begin production on April 17th in Canada. The ‘Peter Pan’ film will be directed by David Lowery, he will also co-write the screenplay with Toby Halbrooks.

David Lowery is known for directing ‘Ain’t Them Bodies Saints’, ‘Pete’s Dragon’, ‘A Ghost Story’ and ‘The Old Man & The Gun’. Toby Halbrooks is known for writing ‘Pete’s Dragon’ and for producing ‘A Ghost Story’. Jim Whitaker will produce the live-action remake, he has previously produced Disney films such as ‘A Wrinkle In Time’, ‘The Finest Hours’, ‘The Odd Life of Timothy Green’, the upcoming Disney+ feature film ‘Timmy Failure’ and Lower’s previous Disney film, the live-action ‘Pete’s Dragon’.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2020/01/07/d ... exclusive/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad they changed the name. The story was always Wendy's as much as Peter's, if not even more. The original title was always Peter and Wendy and it's about time we've had a modern adaptation that emphasizes her importance again. This alone makes me feel much better about this film.
ImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The book was initially published as “Peter and Wendy” so I don’t mind this change at all. I even had a Little Golden Book as a child called “Peter Pan and Wendy” which featured illustrations by Eyvind Earle.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Is this still a Disney+ exclusive?
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am totally ok with the name change, because like others said, the original book was Peter and Wendy. But I didn't like Pete's Dragon and a lot of the people working in this worked on that. I also feel this is a film that needs a huge budget.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Maybe the true reason behind the title change is that Disney wants this to seem something new. The book has been adapted many times and the latest adaptations haven't been successful, so they're probably afraid that people may not be interested in seeing another version of the same story.

JeanGreyForever wrote:Is this still a Disney+ exclusive?
This is what the article Sotiris shared says about that:
It was said last year by our friends at TheDisInsider that the live-action ‘Peter Pan’ film could be going to Disney+. Whilst we cannot confirm if the film is heading to the streaming service or not, it wouldn’t be surprising given how many live-action remakes are already being prepared theatrically for 2021.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I am totally ok with the name change, because like others said, the original book was Peter and Wendy. But I didn't like Pete's Dragon and a lot of the people working in this worked on that. I alos feel this is a film that needs a huge budget.
Same, I wasn't a fan of Pete's Dragon either. And the other films he produced (A Wrinkle In Time, The Finest Hours, and The Odd Life of Timothy Green) didn't exactly inspire much confidence in me either.
D82 wrote:Maybe the true reason behind the title change is that Disney wants this to seem something new. The book has been adapted many times and the latest adaptations haven't been successful, so they're probably afraid that people may not be interested in seeing another version of the same story.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Is this still a Disney+ exclusive?
This is what the article Sotiris shared says about that:
It was said last year by our friends at TheDisInsider that the live-action ‘Peter Pan’ film could be going to Disney+. Whilst we cannot confirm if the film is heading to the streaming service or not, it wouldn’t be surprising given how many live-action remakes are already being prepared theatrically for 2021.
Thank you for quoting that!
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The original play is called "Peter Pan" and the novelization of the play "Peter and Wendy". This remake is merging the two names calling it "Peter Pan and Wendy". That's what I don't like. Choose one or the other. Don't bastardize both titles so you can have your cake and eat it too.