Most anticipated Disney movie of 2020

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

For which theatrical Disney film are you most excited?

The King's Man
No votes
Onward
16%
Mulan
12%
The New Mutants
1%
Black Widow
5%
Artemis Fowl
4%
Soul
13%
Bob's Burgers
2%
Jungle Cruise
7%
The One and Only Ivan
No votes
The Eternals
2%
Ron's Gone Wrong
No votes
Dragon Empire
18%
West Side Story
8%
Cruella
12%

Total votes: 85

D82
Signature Collection

Re: Most anticipated Disney movie of 2020

Post by D82 »

Fandango has revealed the most anticipated movies of 2020 according to its users. Disney movies Black Widow, Eternals, Mulan and Soul are in the top ten:
Most Anticipated Movie:

1. Wonder Woman 1984 (June 5)
2. Black Widow (May 1)
3. Marvel’s Eternals (Nov. 6)
4. Mulan (March 27)
5. No Time to Die (April 10)
6. A Quiet Place Part II (March 20)
7. Birds of Prey (Feb. 7)
8. In the Heights (June 26)
9. Pixar’s Soul (June 19)
10. Fast & Furious 9 (May 22)

Here are the complete results of the survey: https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/the ... men-754008
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I understand Raya not making it in since there's not much info on it yet but Onward? With so many trailers and material out there, I expected it to have made a bigger impression. Disney should be alarmed. It's not even included in the family film category.
Most Anticipated Family Film:

01. Mulan
02. Pixar’s Soul
03. Sonic the Hedgehog
04. Dolittle
05. Jungle Cruise
Source: https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/the ... men-754008
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My list's shifted dramatically. I'm no longer anticipating Mulan or Cruella at all; both look terrible, which is disappointing because I'd had high hopes for Mulan and thought Cruella could at least be worth seeing once.

Raya and the Last Dragon and Onward are my top 2 now. I can't say I'm really looking forward to anything that much next year from Disney beyond those two. Death on the Nile, Soul, and the superhero films would be next in line, I guess.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Really neat that the top four are exclusively woman-directed films (plus Birds of Prey in the #7 spot). Hollywood still has a long way to go, but I think the next decade will definitely see strides in that department.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The most anticipated films of 2020 according to IMDbPro.
IMDb Most-Anticipated Movies of 2020

01. Birds of Prey
02. Sonic the Hedgehog
03. Top Gun: Maverick
04. No Time to Die
05. Black Widow
06. Mulan
07. Wonder Woman 1984
08. Dune
09. The King’s Man
10. Fast & Furious 9
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/birds-of-prey-s ... vies-2020/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I understand Raya not making it in since there's not much info on it yet but Onward? With so many trailers and material out there, I expected it to have made a bigger impression. Disney should be alarmed. It's not even included in the family film category.
Yeah, it's pretty contradictory that there is more anticipation for Soul than for Onward, despite how we've gotten more information about the latter.

Btw, it irks me that we've gotten nothing about Raya yet. Not even a leaked picture or a concept art.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:I understand Raya not making it in since there's not much info on it yet but Onward? With so many trailers and material out there, I expected it to have made a bigger impression. Disney should be alarmed. It's not even included in the family film category.
Yeah, it's pretty contradictory that there is more anticipation for Soul than for Onward, despite how we've gotten more information about the latter.

Btw, it irks me that we've gotten nothing about Raya yet. Not even a leaked picture or a concept art.
I think people are just not interested in Onwards' premise.
We did get a concept art for Raya and the design of the dragon.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

farerb wrote:We did get a concept art for Raya and the design of the dragon.
Yeah, but besides that.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
farerb wrote:We did get a concept art for Raya and the design of the dragon.
Yeah, but besides that.
It's too soon for this. I'm expecting a teaser to come in March or April.
For example Frozen II literally had nothing this time last year except a leaked image from a Russian calendar nobody believed was true. The first teaser came in February and even that was too early and probably happened in order to draw attention from the Genie's bad design at the time.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I had already noticed there wasn't much interest in the film on social media sites like Twitter or Instagram. But the real promotion hasn't started yet and the box office results will also depend on the quality of the film itself. Also, these surveys are not always a good indicator of the success a movie can have. Dumbo, for example, was in the top 10 last year and it flopped. So, I agree it's a bit alarming, but we'll see. I think it can still have good box office results.
farerb wrote:I think people are just not interested in Onwards' premise.
The problem could also be the character designs, which make the film look more generic than usual for Pixar. Maybe some people haven't even realized it's from Pixar.
Sotiris wrote:The most anticipated films of 2020 according to IMDbPro.

1. Birds of Prey
2. Sonic the Hedgehog
3. Top Gun: Maverick
4. No Time to Die
5. Black Widow
6. Mulan
7. Wonder Woman 1984
8. Dune
9. The King’s Man
10. Fast & Furious 9
That list is quite different from the Fandango one. I'm surprised Sonic the Hedgehog is so high on it. I guess the main character's redesign has worked wonders for promotion of the movie.

By the way, I haven't shared my most anticipated Disney movies of 2020. Here's my top 10:

1. Raya and the Last Dragon
2. Onward
3. Soul
4. Jungle Cruise
5. Eternals
6. Black Widow
7. Mulan
8. The One and Only Ivan
9. The Call of the Wild
10. Artemis Fowl

I can't believe we are getting three original animated films from Disney this year! And two of them have fantasy elements, which I love. I'm really excited for both Raya and Onward, but I think I'm looking forward to Raya a bit more mainly because it's from WDAS. I'm not that excited for Soul yet, but it's by Peter Docter, so it'll probably be a good movie.

I'm also glad there'll be more original live-action Disney films than last year, and that the only remake we are getting is not a shot-for-shot one. The Marvel offerings are not as exciting as 2019's ones, but Marvel always delivers lately, so I'm also looking forward to both Eternals and Black Widow.

I think I'll definitely see the first seven films on my list in theaters. I'm not sure about the last three, but I also want to see them eventually.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

farerb wrote:It's too soon for this. I'm expecting a teaser to come in March or April.
For example Frozen II literally had nothing this time last year except a leaked image from a Russian calendar nobody believed was true. The first teaser came in February and even that was too early and probably happened in order to draw attention from the Genie's bad design at the time.
Fair enough, but the Frozen II leak still counts as legit, since it proved to not be fake after all.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

1. West Side Story- The musical and its Robert Wise movie adaptation are both very dated— some offenses are minor, like the made-up slang invented for the show, while others, like the casting of a non-singing Natalie Wood in brown face are much more egregious. In recent years, West Side Story has been successfully revitalized (like Sondheim himself, I’m a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s rewritten Spanish lyrics for several of the songs in the 2009 revival) and reinvented onstage (it hasn’t opened yet, but early reactions to Ivo Van Hove’s forthcoming revival appear to be promising which... ahem, I was not expecting). I’m optimistic that Steven Spielberg and his team can craft a movie adaptation of this masterpiece musical (that Bernstein score!) which works in 2020.

2. Raya and the Last Dragon- Okay, so it’s going to follow the paint-by-numbers, buddy comedy formula, right? Well, I’m admittedly bored of that but... the concept art looks very pretty and I’m excited to see another animated Disney film set in Asia. I love musicals, especially Disney musicals, but there’s something refreshing about Disney choosing not to musicalize a movie with fantasy elements and a female lead, especially in light of their recent success with Tangled, Frozen, and Moana. It promises to be something a little different from the usual.

3. Jungle Cruise- The Rock, Emily Blunt, a rollicking action packed journey down a dangerous jungle river, what more could you want? A respectful and well-thought out representation of what promises to be Disney’s first major gay character. I’m watching you, Jack Whitehall.

4. Mulan- I find the trailers appealing, but I am very disappointed by the decision to remove the original film’s iconic songs. Disney isn’t marketing this movie as a reimagining ala Maleficent, so it’s very disappointing for the remake to lose an ingredient which is so integral to its predecessor.

5. Onward- Well, I truly love the oddity of the headless and torso-less walking pair of pants. Everything else about this movie looks uninspired but I’m hoping it surprises me!

6. Soul- The trailer looked fantastic until he turned into a wad of chewed up Spearmint gum.

7. Death on the Nile- I like to see the murder mystery’s return to the big screen, but am puzzled by the decision to turn Poirot into a svelte action hero.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

With this latest addition to their slate, Disney will be releasing a total of 28 films in theaters in a single year. It must be a record for Disney.

The Walt Disney Studios to Release Documentary ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ from Acclaimed Filmmaker Peter Jackson on September 4, 2020
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-wa ... er-4-2020/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

UmbrellaFish wrote:1. West Side Story- The musical and its Robert Wise movie adaptation are both very dated— some offenses are minor, like the made-up slang invented for the show, while others, like the casting of a non-singing Natalie Wood in brown face are much more egregious. In recent years, West Side Story has been successfully revitalized (like Sondheim himself, I’m a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s rewritten Spanish lyrics for several of the songs in the 2009 revival) and reinvented onstage (it hasn’t opened yet, but early reactions to Ivo Van Hove’s forthcoming revival appear to be promising which... ahem, I was not expecting). I’m optimistic that Steven Spielberg and his team can craft a movie adaptation of this masterpiece musical (that Bernstein score!) which works in 2020.
I had no idea that original film, which won Best Picture, was so, well, offensive! But this movie I am soooo looking forward to, too! Did Lin fix the made-up slang?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Halts Production on Most Live-Action Films
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disn ... 203531990/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:The most anticipated films of 2020 according to IMDbPro.

1. Birds of Prey
2. Sonic the Hedgehog
3. Top Gun: Maverick
4. No Time to Die
5. Black Widow
6. Mulan
7. Wonder Woman 1984
8. Dune
9. The King’s Man
10. Fast & Furious 9
Sorry, this is an old post, but I only just saw this.

This list confirms again how beloved Disney's Mulan as a property is in America. That's why the live-action film was always going to smash it at the box office. Just wish they had harnessed that potential better than they chose to, because I would've loved a Mulan franchise that was more similar to the original like what you see happening with the live-action Aladdin. If the first Mulan is horrible, it'll do well at the box office regardless, but Mulan 2 will face the backlash the same way Alice Through the Looking Glass did with Alice in Wonderland. You can only fool people once, and doing it off the bat will weaken its franchise potential, imo.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Theaters are shutting down from now on in my country.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I've heard they're starting to shut down in certain European countries.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

With Mulan and New Mutants having to find new release dates and likely Black Widow, Woman in the Window and Artemis Fowl, too, I think we will definitely see some major changes on the release calendar. I do not envy the person at Disney who has to figure out where to put the delayed movies and where to move others. I can even see a scenario where Raya and the Last Dragon goes to March, if Disney is forced to move Mulan or even Soul up to Thanksgiving.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

estefan wrote:With Mulan and New Mutants having to find new release dates and likely Black Widow, Woman in the Window and Artemis Fowl, too, I think we will definitely see some major changes on the release calendar. I do not envy the person at Disney who has to figure out where to put the delayed movies and where to move others. I can even see a scenario where Raya and the Last Dragon goes to March, if Disney is forced to move Mulan or even Soul up to Thanksgiving.
They've halted all their live action productions. If it goes that long, the films which were supposed to be released this year will most likely be released next year instead of those which are no longer in production. The only way I see Raya gets delayed is if Soul isn't released on time, otherwise I don't see a reason to delay an animated feature instead of a live action one. Mulan can get the December slot instead of what was originally supposed to be released then.