Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Re: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Post by Patricier21 »

Even if not for another Maleficent movie, more $ towards this well help support the rooiginal decision not keep Joachim as director for Pirates 6(and with that have it less likely to completely reboot and fire Johnny Depp :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Patricier21 wrote:Even if not for another Maleficent movie, more $ towards this well help support the rooiginal decision not keep Joachim as director for Pirates 6(and with that have it less likely to completely reboot and fire Johnny Depp :)
How is Joachim related to the production of this film? I don't quite understand the correlation.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Patricier21 wrote:Even if not for another Maleficent movie, more $ towards this well help support the rooiginal decision not keep Joachim as director for Pirates 6(and with that have it less likely to completely reboot and fire Johnny Depp :)
How is Joachim related to the production of this film? I don't quite understand the correlation.
Joachim Ronning directed both Dead Men Tell No Tales and Mistress of Evil. If MoE does well enough, Disney may decide to keep him on as director for the planned Pirates 6, of which he was supposedly signed on for before helming MoE. Since DMTNT did decently enough and received a lot of positive fan reception, even from those who didn't really like it/the other Pirates sequels, it may prompt Disney to continue Pirates with where they were going (since Joachim himself said that DMTNT "was only the beginning of the finale", notwithstanding the hanging plot threads from both DMTNT and OST (On Stranger Tides)'s post credits scenes along with other things like the absence of Pintel & Raghetti) and not completely reboot without Johnny Depp, especially after all of the issues with him abusing Amber Heard have been overall resolved, as well as the fact that his performance as Grindelwald was one of the few things that critics and most fans actually liked about Fantastic Beasts and The Crimes of Grindelwald
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Maleficent 2 has now grossed over $400 million worldwide and is expected to at least break $500 million by the end of its run.
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, which started off somewhat slowly a few weeks back, crossed the $400M mark globally this frame, conjuring $430.3M to date. This is the third Disney Live Action title to get to the benchmark this year. The overseas cume after a $19.9M frame is $333M. The Angelina Jolie sequel has topped the original in 12 market including China, France, Korea, Russia, Indonesia and Poland.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/11/midway-doc ... 202782317/
In the 5th weekend, Disney’s sequel is still holding nicely, grossing $11.8M this frame for $353M overseas. Globally, $459M makes the sorceress the No. 13 worldwide release of 2019, soon moving up to the 12th spot. The original Maleficent did $382M internationally at current exchange rates, putting Mistress of Evil $30M shy of that total. The film has already passed its predecessor in China, France, Korea, Brazil, Russia, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Netherlands, Malaysia, Argentina, Poland and India. Top 5 markets are China ($48.8M), Russia ($33M), Mexico ($23.6M), France ($19M) and Brazil ($18.5M).
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/11/ford-v-fer ... 202788204/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Excellent news, so glad it's done / doing so well :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Patricier21 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: How is Joachim related to the production of this film? I don't quite understand the correlation.
Joachim Ronning directed both Dead Men Tell No Tales and Mistress of Evil. If MoE does well enough, Disney may decide to keep him on as director for the planned Pirates 6, of which he was supposedly signed on for before helming MoE. Since DMTNT did decently enough and received a lot of positive fan reception, even from those who didn't really like it/the other Pirates sequels, it may prompt Disney to continue Pirates with where they were going (since Joachim himself said that DMTNT "was only the beginning of the finale", notwithstanding the hanging plot threads from both DMTNT and OST (On Stranger Tides)'s post credits scenes along with other things like the absence of Pintel & Raghetti) and not completely reboot without Johnny Depp, especially after all of the issues with him abusing Amber Heard have been overall resolved, as well as the fact that his performance as Grindelwald was one of the few things that critics and most fans actually liked about Fantastic Beasts and The Crimes of Grindelwald
Thank you for explaining. I didn't realize that both films shared the same director. I'm not sure why there's still so much controversy over Johnny Depp when he was basically absolved. If anyone should be receiving flack, it should be Amber Heard but I haven't seen her career or reputation impacted at all.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Atlantica wrote:Excellent news, so glad it's done / doing so well :)
Looks like people underestimated this as much as Aladdin.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil has been nominated for Best Production Design in a Fantasy Feature Film at the Art Directors Guild Awards 2019.
Fantasy Feature Film

Ad Astra
Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Dumbo
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Source: https://adg.org/awards/adg/nominees/2020/

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil has been nominated for Best Period and/or Character Hair Styling in a Feature-Length Motion Picture at the Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Awards 2019.
Feature-Length Motion Picture — Best Period and/or Character Hair Styling

Downton Abbey
Dolemite Is My Name
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
Rocketman
Source: http://www.local706.org/nominations-ann ... hs-awards/

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil has been nominated for Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film at the Costume Designers Guild Awards 2019.
Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film

Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Captain Marvel
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Source: https://costumedesignersguild.com/award ... 2019-2020/
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

The film is having great holds at the box office. Glad to see its hairstyling get recognized. I probably would have give it a makeup nom too, as Angelina's makeup (as well as Warwick Davis' among other) were more impressive than some of the films in that list.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film has been shortlisted for an Oscar in the Makeup and Hairstyling category.
“Bombshell”
“Dolemite Is My Name”
“Downton Abbey”
“Joker”
“Judy”
“Little Women”
“Maleficent: Mistress of Evil”
“1917”
“Once upon a Time…in Hollywood”
“Rocketman”
Source: https://oscars.org/oscars/92nd-oscars-shortlists
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Not costumes?!!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:Not costumes?!!
The Academy didn't provide a shortlist for that category. We'll have to wait for the nominations to see if it made it through.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I hope it doesn't get a costume nomination lol. The only costumes worth anything were the ones Michelle Pfeiffer wore, otherwise Aurora looked atrocious as always.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. I liked every costume except anything the dark faye wore.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

They looked like jokes lol. There's a reason people were saying they hated them and were glad to see them go.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It wasn't just their costumes for me. It was their whole backstory and motive to fight. I hated everything about them.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I heard that when Maleficent first finds out about them and meets them, there were people laughing in the theaters unironically because the characters just didn't work.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:The film has been shortlisted for an Oscar in the Makeup and Hairstyling category.
I'd be surprised if it won over something like Downton Abbey.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I heard that when Maleficent first finds out about them and meets them, there were people laughing in the theaters unironically because the characters just didn't work.
LOL I hope so!

You don't think this dress for Aurora is pretty?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Honestly no. There was a lot of praise for it here but it looked super bland to me. It's just so plain with only a few flowers thrust around and honestly, it looks like something that belongs in a dusty old attic. Cinderella's wedding dress was worlds apart and as critical as I am of Belle's costumes in Beauty and the Beast, I absolutely adored her ending dress. Jasmine's wedding dress was okay but I would have preferred something closer to her animated version...the teal coloring and pants just didn't work for me.
ImageImage