What's New at Walt Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: What's New at Walt Disney World?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Ahh, I am only going off what Disinsider is reporting and he didn’t mention that, but I’m not watching the livestream. I guess you could potentially put a small Target (maybe just travel items or groceries) inside Disney Springs or even some of the hotels. When I worked at the Boardwalk, they had a whole mini grocery with frozen pizzas and the like— that could easily and quickly be rebranded as a Target for example... but it would also destroy some of the theming...
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sorry- the vet called and I was behind on the livestream but now I'm caught up! I can post while they talk about DCL.

EPCOT!!
4 neighborhoods
World Showcase
Instead of Future World: World Celebration, World Nature, World Discovery

World Celebration: Updated version of fountain, Spaceship Earth is staying. New Spaceship Earth- no technology theme, but storytelling
New scenes, fresh narration. A magical light called a storylight will be a central focus tying your journey together.

Dreamer's Point

New statue of Walt!!!

Wishing Tree

World Discovery: Science/Technology: Guardians of the Galaxy. (Reverse launch into space) Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind

New Mission Space restaurant. Space 220 Restaurant. Starting this winter!

Former Wonders of Life: Play Pavillion: Edna, DuckTales, Open in time for WDW's 50th

World Nature: 2 new offerings: Land Pavillion's new film: Awesome Planet- January 2020

The Journey of Water: Exploration Trail based on Moana

World Showcase: China: Wondrous China 360 film
Canada: new 360 film

France: B&tB Sing Along; Ratatouille ride (Remy's Ratatouille Adventure)- Summer 2020
Classic French Bakery to the pavillion, Summer 2020- table & quick service options

World Showcase: Mary Poppins! (the stream died- WDWNT says it's a neighborhood)

New fireworks show: Harmonious- largest nighttime fireworks show they've ever done.

WDW 50th:
Celebrations at all 4 parks
Disney Genie: Helps you plan your trips...an app...Gives you an itinerary it seems and recommendations. Genie will handle reservations (FastPass, restaurants) (debuting in late 2020)

Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge
A-frame houses and treehouse suites
Princess and the Frog restaurant!!!
:pink: :pink: :pink: OMG so so excited!!!

Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser 2 night adventure.

(So much easier to just post info from WDWNT (https://wdwnt.com/)- I took so many screencaps of the livestream)

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

So much to discuss!

We’ve been anticipating a Spaceship Earth update and I’ve been looking forward to it. I hope they take this opportunity to add in more people of color. It kind of stunned me when I realized that so much of the ride is just white people.

A new Walt statue!!! :pink: I cannot wait to see it in person.

I am excited for the Guardians coaster. I can’t wait to be terrified lol. I hate coasters and always freak out before riding them and then ending up liking them... of all the coasters in WDW and Universal the only two I didn’t like very much were Everest and The Mummy. When they slow down for show scenes and then pick back up again for big drops I can’t handle it... lol

The Play Pavilion— this so clearly seems to be themed on the internet from WiR. I wonder why they seem to be distancing themselves from branding it similarly? As in, y’know calling it the Internet instead of the Play Pavilion.

Can I say that I’m mildly disappointed that Disney is keeping the rat cars from Paris for the Remy ride? I get that you’re supposed to be a rat scurrying around with Remy, but like, the ride vehicle looks like your inside a hollowed out carcass.

Mary Poppins attraction and Cherry Tree Lane. OH MY GOD. The Mary Poppins expansion/remodel of the UK pavilion is more than I ever dreamed of. Cherry Tree Lane is to me what Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are to other people. I can’t believe one day, I’ll get to go there!! I’m a little disappointed that the concept art depicts the Emily Blunt Mary and Lin Manuel Miranda. If these characters do come to Epcot, I hope Julie and Dick’s iterations get to remain in the Magic Kingdom— I’m also a bit surprised because I always expected that if the Emily Mary did make it into the parks, she’d be wearing her Royal Doulton dress, not her lovely traveling ensemble. And as for the attraction??? I don’t want to get my hopes up that it’s a dark ride... but if it is, I hope they incorporate the music and scenes from both movies. Still, I think it may just be a walk-through of the Banks home...

And also, no Brazil??? No new country at all??? It would be a great way to celebrate either WDW’s 50th or Epcot’s 40th. Hopefully, it still on the cards and waiting to be announced at a later date.

And no nighttime parade for Magic Kingdom’s 50th??? How disappointing.
blackcauldron85

UmbrellaFish wrote: The Play Pavilion— this so clearly seems to be themed on the internet from WiR. I wonder why they seem to be distancing themselves from branding it similarly? As in, y’know calling it the Internet instead of the Play Pavilion.
My guess is that it will be easily interchangeable. Ralph now, Onward/Soul/Raya/Mickey/etc. later...
UmbrellaFish wrote:Can I say that I’m mildly disappointed that Disney is keeping the rat cars from Paris for the Remy ride? I get that you’re supposed to be a rat scurrying around with Remy, but like, the ride vehicle looks like your inside a hollowed out carcass.
:lol: I was so excited to see the adorable cars, but now that you put it that way... :p
UmbrellaFish wrote:Mary Poppins attraction and Cherry Tree Lane. OH MY GOD. The Mary Poppins expansion/remodel of the UK pavilion is more than I ever dreamed of. Cherry Tree Lane is to me what Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are to other people. I can’t believe one day, I’ll get to go there!! ...And as for the attraction??? I don’t want to get my hopes up that it’s a dark ride... but if it is, I hope they incorporate the music and scenes from both movies. Still, I think it may just be a walk-through of the Banks home...
The Livestream died at this part, but WDWNT called it a "neighborhood." While a ride would be amazing, even a walk-through could be quite fun. I'm just glad for some Poppins appreciation!
And also, no Brazil??? No new country at all??? It would be a great way to celebrate either WDW’s 50th or Epcot’s 40th. Hopefully, it still on the cards and waiting to be announced at a later date.
I think that since they announced so much for Epcot, the new stuff will take a while to build/open. Down the road maybe they'll announce more stuff, once some of these projects open...?
UmbrellaFish wrote:And no nighttime parade for Magic Kingdom’s 50th??? How disappointing.
Part of me is surprised...but at the same time, there are more than 2 years until WDW's true anniversary date of October 1, 2021...there's time. Or maybe Disney hasn't finalized agreements/sponsorships yet...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

https://wdwnt.com/2019/09/primeval-whir ... ttraction/

Primeval Whirl may be on its way out for good and I will miss it. I know it’s not a unique coaster and a lot of people can’t handle the way it jerks and spins you around, but it was always an easy way to pad out a DAK day which is pretty sparse on attractions, especially if you didn’t want to brave the lines in Pandora. Not something I can mourn like I would the loss of the Tiki Room or Country Bears, but deserving of a moment of silence.

And now that that’s over— I would love to see Dinoland get some serious upgrades. I love dinosaurs but Dinoland is pathetically, lazily, and cheaply themed. Ideally, Dinoland would take more cues from the Dinosaur attraction— I want to see a Dinoland that respects the majesty of dinosaurs. But at this point I wouldn’t mind it if Disney removes Dinoland entirely and turned it into an elaborate Indiana Jones section as is often rumored because Dinoland USA as it exists today just does not live up to the Disney brand. I feel a similar way about Hollywood Studio’s Voyage of the Little Mermaid— I love the subject, but I’m almost embarrassed by the way it’s presented to the audience.
blackcauldron85

I like Primeval Whirl, too. I wouldn't be too sad if it was removed for something better. I agree with you...I've only done Triceratops Spin when visiting occasionally with little kids, and I don't pay to play the carnival games. Dinosaur is a fun ride, but I'd be fine with importing the Indy ride (animals??) or creating a new theme. Or if they fully got rid of it, hopefully they'd put something even better there. #HighHopes
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I never got to ride the Great Movie Ride as it closed before I first visited Hollywood Studios, although I was always fascinated by it based on my knowledge from Disney fansites. I recently rewatched some ride-through videos and was struck by how long it was— around 20 minutes— longer than Spaceship Earth! The entire time I worked at WDW, the Chinese Theatre was merely an empty shell so I never actually paid it much heed (except to peer at the Mary Poppins Premiere photos inside) but the show building must be really massive! We must expect this new Mickey Mouse ride will be rather lengthy, too? If not 20 minutes, at least 10 perhaps? I’m planning a trip to Orlando next Fall and I’m so hopeful that the ride will be open and not delayed.
blackcauldron85

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Aww that’s too bad. I’m sure I won’t mind it if the experience is enjoyable enough. And it sounds like they’ll be employing the space left by the old ride in fun ways.
blackcauldron85

Eep. This is not good news.

An Accident Has Occurred on the Disney Skyliner at Riviera Resort Station
https://wdwnt.com/2019/10/breaking-an-a ... t-station/

*edit*
This is such a good idea:
Walt Disney World Introduces Disney PhotoPass Archive USB as Backup for Your Vacation Photos
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... on-photos/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

That crash and the subsequent 3 hour evac really make me rethink my eagerness to try this mode of transport. Glad it appears no one was injured, but can you imagine if this had happened during the daytime? Scary.
blackcauldron85

I wonder if Disney needs to just give up the idea of aerial transport. I agree with you; I'm not sure I want to try it out...
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Just a little hiccup. There were two fatal accidents on the old Vontroll 101 skyrides in the late 70s both caused by human error. Sxi Flags St. Louis in 1978 which haunts to this day. Some kids were rocking the car and it damaged the tower rotating the roller battery and causing the car to fall killing 3. Texas State Fair skyride accident in 1979 due to stupid greedy management running skyride in 40+ mph winds causing multicar pileup on a tower and two cars fell on to a tent where people were playing Skeeball One dead 12 injured because management turned the safety systems off. I have no quarrel riding skyrides thou. I rode the Six Flags St. Louis one days before the accident in 1978 and the Busch Gardens Tampa skyride in 2009..
blackcauldron85

^ If you knew of a recent accident, then, you'd still be okay with riding one of these types of rides?
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ If you knew of a recent accident, then, you'd still be okay with riding one of these types of rides?
I suffer PTSD from the Six Flags St. Louis and have been learning about skyrides for years. Texas State Fair has the same type of skyride as the Skyliner since 2009 and they have been no issues with it. Maybe a part wan't fastened all the way or a car caught on something. They were testing the skyliner last time I checked. The old Vonroll skyrides were built like tanks and some are still running 30-40 years after they were built.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

https://wdwnt.com/2019/12/new-details-r ... -and-more/

I could have sworn they originally said this was to be based off the 2017 movie. Was that irrational paranoia, delusion, or speculation? Anybody have the receipts?

This is nevertheless a relief. This sounds so much better. Especially since it appears new animation will be involved.
blackcauldron85

I didn't remember, but this post shows the live action:
https://wdwnt.com/2018/11/breaking-new- ... ination-d/

I'm 100% more intrigued in this now...it's kind of weird, but I do like TLK 1 1/2, which this is reminiscent of. Should be fun!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I didn't remember, but this post shows the live action:
https://wdwnt.com/2018/11/breaking-new- ... ination-d/
Thank you! So I’m not crazy! I wonder why they announced it by using images from the new movie? Surely it must have been fairly deep down the pipeline even a year ago if it’s opening next month! If initially it really was intended to use the IP from the 2017 movie, I wonder what made them change course?

I hope the new Mary Poppins attraction follows suit...
blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm 100% more intrigued in this now...it's kind of weird, but I do like TLK 1 1/2, which this is reminiscent of. Should be fun!
Same! Before it was an annoyance— I’d have to pay extra attention to the schedule to make sure I’d see Impressions de France and not the other one as a sing along with Emma Watson just did not appeal to me— now I will be happy with either show!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Oh wow, that's a really unique premise and I love how Don Hahn is handling it and the original cast members are coming back too.

This would make an interesting bonus feature for the 4K BATB although I doubt they'd include it.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

D23 says Harmonious will begin this spring.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/12/new-harmoniou ... -at-epcot/

Previously, the rumor I’d heard was that Epcot Forever was to last a little over a year which would have put Harmonious’ opening sometime after the start of October. I’m in the beginning stages of planning an August trip so I was looking forward to seeing Epcot Forever, but truthfully, I think I will enjoy Harmonious much more. I just wanted to be be able to say I’d seen all 3 Epcot nighttime shows from 1999 to present haha.

Mary Poppins almost has to have some kind of representation in this show since she’s already a key feature of the UK pavilion and her presence there will only expand with the forthcoming Cherry Tree Lane and new attraction. I predict they will incorporate “Trip a Little Light Fantastic,” but I hope they use something from the 1964 film— if they do use the classic film, it will make me a little more optimistic for the character’s future at the parks.