The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Umbrella Fish wrote:I wonder if another reason they’re eliminating the sisters is because of technical difficulties. I mean, in the original film they are barely characterized so why waste money and time filming 6 additional bodies for what’s going to be a very difficult and challenging shoot?

I don’t like the change. I love Ariel’s sisters and I love watching the mermaids swim and gracefully move their bodies. I was looking forward to seeing that translated into a new medium. It’s a change which strengthens Triton’s character but seems to weaken Ariel’s. If she’s the heir to the throne, what happens when she up’s and leaves? Somebody should send her a copy of The Crown, stat. “It is your duty!”
I don’t really mind that we won’t have “Daughters of Triton” anymore or the loss of the swimming movements*. It’s more the story implications. I mean, Ariel is stupid and naïve for the deal with Ursula, but she’s not outright trying to harm Triton. In that moment you can see she just didn’t care what might happen to herself, not thinking Ursula might manipulate her father later. Whereas without sisters, there’s no way for the character not to see how this harms Triton in some way if she’s his only heir. Even leaving the deal side of it out, leaving the sea for land is incredibly selfish knowing her father is old and has nobody else to replace her.

* As far as the swimming, well… It’s the same thing I’ve been telling myself about Ariel’s hair the past couple of weeks. They aren’t going to be able to re-create the way her hair moved around (almost a character unto itself) or the way her tails / fins moved so beautifully in the original, so I guess it doesn’t really matter if her hair’s black or brown anyway because it’s not going to have the same effect in live-action (or 3D that imitates live-action, rather). It’ll probably move very little and float in one place like a corpse.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I wonder if they will cop the ending from “Return to the Sea,” and this time future Queen of Atlantica Ariel “chooses both.” Life on land and under the sea? Which would seem to be 1) a fundamental misunderstanding of Ariel’s motivation to live on land and 2) a practical nightmare?

Or maybe they pull a “Scarecrow” and crown Sebastian or Flounder heir to the throne?
Disney's Divinity

UmbrellaFish wrote:I wonder if they will cop the ending from “Return to the Sea,” and this time future Queen of Atlantica Ariel “chooses both.” Life on land and under the sea? Which would seem to be 1) a fundamental misunderstanding of Ariel’s motivation to live on land and 2) a practical nightmare?
I actually thought of that, too. It would turn the story into almost a Romeo and Juliet story, except without the competing family and a wedding rather than a suicide at the end being what brings the two familiesworlds together.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

What if Triton dies and Ariel is crowned Queen and then Eric stays with her as a merman. The other options either makes Ariel's character worse or is just too complicated as a finale.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I wonder if they will cop the ending from “Return to the Sea,” and this time future Queen of Atlantica Ariel “chooses both.” Life on land and under the sea?
That's entirely plausible as it would appease the critics who accuse Ariel of abandoning her family and her people for a man and a foreign culture.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Or maybe they pull a “Scarecrow” and crown Sebastian or Flounder heir to the throne?
:lol: That would be so ridiculous!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

thedisneyspirit wrote:What if Triton dies and Ariel is crowned Queen and then Eric stays with her as a merman. The other options either makes Ariel's character worse or is just too complicated as a finale.
The problem with this is that people already think Ariel gave up her voice, tail, family, friends, and entire life under the sea for a man, even though she's always wanted to live on land. If at the end, she suddenly gives that up and moves back under the sea, this will just confirm to everyone that her only human interest was in Eric himself and she really did do all this for a man. That would be more problematic than anything else, plus a huge departure from Ariel's character which shows they don't understand the spirit of the character.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

JeanGreyForever wrote: The problem with this is that people already think Ariel gave up her voice, tail, family, friends, and entire life under the sea for a man, even though she's always wanted to live on land. If at the end, she suddenly gives that up and moves back under the sea, this will just confirm to everyone that her only human interest was in Eric himself and she really did do all this for a man. That would be more problematic than anything else, plus a huge departure from Ariel's character which shows they don't understand the spirit of the character.
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time in one of these remakes. Plus I just don't see Miranda super invested in Ariel as he is on...I dunno, Sebastian or Alexander Hamilton?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

thedisneyspirit wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: The problem with this is that people already think Ariel gave up her voice, tail, family, friends, and entire life under the sea for a man, even though she's always wanted to live on land. If at the end, she suddenly gives that up and moves back under the sea, this will just confirm to everyone that her only human interest was in Eric himself and she really did do all this for a man. That would be more problematic than anything else, plus a huge departure from Ariel's character which shows they don't understand the spirit of the character.
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time in one of these remakes. Plus I just don't see Miranda super invested in Ariel as he is on...I dunno, Sebastian or Alexander Hamilton?
Lol, that's very true. Luckily I don't think Miranda is an official writer on this film in any capacity or at least I hope not.
ImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Yikes, someone is a spoiled sport (but right).
Christian Navarro
@ChristianLN0821
Just came back to say; after months of seeing every person of color they could think of for the role of Prince Eric, @DisneyStudios somehow still cast a white guy. I guess diversity is just a word. And THATS Hollywood. One brown person is enough, two brown leads is unthinkable.

https://twitter.com/ChristianLN0821/sta ... 4460379138

And they actually did in fact look for diverse Erics.
Skyler Shuler
@Skylerhxc
Or maybe, just maybe, Jonah as a fellow actor had a better test with Rob and the fellow casting team. Also Disney tested a variety of actors of color.
https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 6776526848
Disney's Divinity

Of course, even among the white guys, he's not the best one we know they looked at--and that's leaving out the ones like Jonas, Styles, Chalamet who we know and/or can assume turned Disney down. Cameron Cuffe, Darren Criss, that guy from the Live show last week would've all been better, imo. But thankfully Eric is a throwaway part anyway, so who really cares. He's as bland a prince as Jasmine was a princess; maybe they'll make him more interesting in the live-action film like the live-action Aladdin managed for Jasmine?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So they did try other races for Eric. But the one guy said they turned him away because he wasn't European enough. I'm confused.

And Jasmine is not bland in the original and better Aladdin. She was one of the better parts of the remake but that's it.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

How does the Disney Insider ' know so much ' about this film in particular ? Guess he has an inside source ?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Are there still no casting updates or news about Ursula,Flotsam and Jetsam ?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Could any believe Javier Bardem and Melissa McCarthy are siblings ? or will people just go along with it because "Disney World" ?

Or maybe Ursula will get a whole new original backstory. Hopefully her motives will not be lame , Boring or nonsensical !
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote: And Jasmine is not bland in the original and better Aladdin. She was one of the better parts of the remake but that's it.
Agreed, she's one of my favorite princesses from the animated film alone. I liked the live-action take on her as well. Worlds apart from how Belle and Aurora have been treated in live-action.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler wrote:The Little Mermaid is filming in April.
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 6275374081
Skyler Shuler wrote:I'm no betting man, but The Little Mermaid taking the July 30, 2021 release date seems likely, especially after all the financial success The Lion King just had this past July.
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 7942439936
Q: When are we going to have our first picture of Haley as Ariel?

Skyler Shuler: First look, April.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/uybzZYZ.jpg
Q: Is Melissa, Jacob etc. confirmed for the movie?

Skyler Shuler: Yes, they are confirmed now.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/LBdFiEM.jpg
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Hopefully they get confirmed from the horse's mouth soon.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

I still don't know if I could ever accept a black Ariel. I could accept a black Esmeralda, a black/ethnic Moana, a black Tiana, but not Ariel. It's not going to look right with red hair at all. And I'm not sure if Melissa Mcarthy is mean and powerful enough for Ursula. Someone like Kathleen Turner would be better in my view, she's very theatrical and has a low commanding voice like the animation.

Also sad about no Harry Styles for Eric. He probably could have made the character at least memorable. I'm pretty sure I've heard that Halle is a pretty flat actress from what I hear.

The only interesting/exciting thing for me about this movie will be seeing how they will do the underwater scenes. I hate to be the one complaining because I'm one of Disneys biggest fans ever, but I can just see where they are going wrong at times.
Last edited by WarriorDreamer on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

WarriorDreamer wrote:I still don't know if I could ever accept a black Ariel. It's not going to look right with red hair at all. And I'm not sure if Melissa Mcarthy is mean and powerful enough for Ursula. Someone like Kathleen Turner would be better in my view, she's very theatrical and has a low commanding voice like the animation.

Also sad about no Harry Styles for Eric. He probably could have made the character at least memorable. I'm pretty sure I've heard that Halle is a pretty flat actress from what I hear.

The only interesting/exciting thing for me about this movie will be seeing how they will do the underwater scenes.
I forgot about Kathleen Turner. I really like her a lot. There are so many great choices for Ursula actually between Kathy Bates, Octavia Spencer, Queen Latifah, Bette Midler, Lady Gaga, and Kathleen Turner.

I've never seen anything with Halle but I think she's mostly just done TV work.

I haven't seen Aquaman but I imagine it'll somewhat resemble that but maybe even more intense since the characters won't be human but actual merpeople and other sea creatures. Although after The Lion King and even the visual effects in Aladdin, I'm not sure if they'll be able to pull it off.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote: I forgot about Kathleen Turner. I really like her a lot. There are so many great choices for Ursula actually between Kathy Bates, Octavia Spencer, Queen Latifah, Bette Midler, Lady Gaga, and Kathleen Turner.
And don't forget Lizzo.