Box Office Mojo's new design

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Box Office Mojo's new design

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I hate it. It is impossible to navigate. A few days ago I could see how much a movie made when adjusted for inflation or globally with a couple of clicks. Now it takes forever to find. And I could see how many theatres that were still showing it, or how much it made each week, weekend and day. Now it's all a mess.
Does those who design these pages actually use them themselves?

The best alternative for the moment seems to be Wikipedia, even if it doesn't contain the same amount of info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... sing_films
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Box Office Mojo's new design

Post by Sotiris »

I totally agree with you. It's awful. Horrible design and interface. Parts of it are glitch-y and some info is behind a paywall. The worst thing about it, there's isn't a good alternative out there yet.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Seems like they didn't learn anything form imdb, like shutting down the discussion boards, and by doing so losing a huge amount of their daily users. These days I'm only visiting them a couple of times in month to see some new trailers, but they are so rarely updated that I don't bother anymore.
As for Box Office Mojo, I have visited them the last them unless they go back to something that resemble their old design.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

They have been getting a lot of deserving hate for this. The new design isn't good, but it's something I would have gotten used to. Putting the stats and numbers behind a paywall is what I'm strongly opposed to. Things like the yearly worldwide box-office and the studio market share should be basic public information and Amazon/IMDb asking people to pay to see that info is absurd.

I love seeing how the studios rank at the box-office as the year goes on (Warner Bros recently passed Universal to take the #2 position for the year, for example) and now it's going to a hassle to find that out.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Somebody wants to create a replacement:

https://thefilmstage.com/news/a-new-box ... community/

Time will tell if they succeed.
A spokesperson from the company said “these updates were made in response to customer feedback and usage patterns, which will continue to inform future feature launches.”
Well, that's nothing but a big, fat lie. As if Amazon was saying; "You asked for it, and we heard you, so here it is, the brand new, better and improved Box Office Mojo just the way you wanted it." If that's the case, they should also be listening to the tons of users who tell them to change it back, but they never does. Not with the imdb message board, and not with Box Office Mojo.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I agree about the new design being awful and generic, but at least it's easier in some ways to read the Box Office results.