Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was still running in some places. The legs for this movie have been absolutely amazing.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney should have made this the tentpole and kept The Lion King off till next year! It would have made even more money!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

That's awesome news !

So sick of films being so front loaded, on for like 3 weeks with 0 promotion as we've moved onto the next thing, then it's being advertised for home release !

Good on Aladdin for staying the course :)
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I feel t complete the opposite way about this than i do towards Men in Black: International.

Men in Black: International was relly good movie that despite that gott bad reviews and was box office faliure.
This new Aladdin was a midicore movie thaat still got mostly postiv review and was a smash hit at the box office.

I think it is realy unfair. But that's life !

Sorry if my Grammar was for in this post !
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Watching this right now, was really not impressed with the first half hour or so in the marketplace. All the actors in the marketplace were so bad it was pulling me out of it and the One Jump Ahead scene was just awful. Since the Genie showed up it has gotten better. I'm actually not hating Will Smith in this and usually I can't stand him as an actor. The music isn't great, but it's better than it was in Beauty and the Beast and especially better than The Lion King.

The CGI is hit or miss. Carpet looks amazing, but some of the Genie's transformation sequences have been a bit rough.

Naomi Scott is a terrific Jasmine. Everyone else is mediocre in their roles, Aladdin is very wooden, Jafar isn't menacing enough. Smith is better than I expected, but it still feels like a bad imitation most of the time.

Perhaps I hated The Lion King so much that everything is looking better by comparisson? I feel like if I had seen this in theatres before I saw The Lion King I would be enjoying it less.

Overall it's been kinda passable. We'll see if the ending changes my mind (Aladdin just broke Jafar's spell in my watch).
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Widdi wrote:Overall it's been kinda passable. We'll see if the ending changes my mind (Aladdin just broke Jafar's spell in my watch).
It’s 4AM and I’m only awake because I had to pee, but I had to reread this sentence four times to comprehend that you weren’t watching this movie on your Apple Watch.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree that "One Jump Ahead" is probably the weakest part of the movie. Mena talk-sings the same way Watson did, but at least "Belle" isn't primarily Belle singing like OJA is for Aladdin. Thankfully the weakest part is at the beginning and the rest of the movie can build from there.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mena's vocals aren't great but "One Jump Ahead" sucking has to do with the arrangement as well. They changed the orchestration and the tempo to sound less theatrical and more contemporary, urgent, and masculine.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I didn't like the new tempo of the song and some of the background vocals (like the guy saying "scandal") were pretty awful and took me out of the movie. But I loved Mena's singing in that song and all his songs, because he really did sound like Brad Kane.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Upon reflection I feel this film is worse than I initially thought. :|

I think when you first watch it you are taken in by the effects and magic and songs, but actually I feel it is a little mediocre in comparison to what could have been achieved.

Firstly, Mena unfortunately doesn't seem to look enough like Aladdin. This didn't bother me at first, but the other live action characters (in previous films) seem to look better.

I really, really did not like the Jafar actor in this role. He was wooden. An older and more experienced actor could have brought more menace to this role. Think Alan Rickman in the Harry Potter films. A 30 something gym body just would not have the gravitas and prestige as someone like Alan. He is intimidating before he even opens his mouth and that is due to age and looks. He was too young to come across as intimidating in the slightest.

I really liked Naomi Scott's performance. She gave her all. She didn't pass off as 15 like Jasmine in the original was, but that doesn't matter much here. Some of her outfit choices seemed a little.... big and dressy for such an exotic princess I thought. More like English royalty or something. Also her character was introduced a little too quickly, like a few minutes in.

Thematically, I always think it makes sense that we get to know our protagonist a little before we introduce our love interest. He isn't supposed to meet her as quickly as that, within like 2 minutes.

Will Smith was pretty much really good in the role and I didn't have any complaints. It's only sad that Robin is gone. But it's clear that his version is so different in tone.

I felt the end fight scene was underwhelming. This is the most climactic moment. Disney have the opportunity to make this the Spider Man of Disney heroes. A much bigger fight scene between Aladdin and Jafar would have been preferred. Also I was missing Snake-Jafar, that is one of the best things about him.

Also, I wasn't actually sure how much chemistry I even felt from Mena and Naomi. Anyone else feel the same??

I do understand they hope to make changes from the original, but there were some issues here and there. It seems such a shame since Cinderella was so well done as a remake. It felt like they were scared to do anything that could make this film too epic. Aladdin could be super super epic. And this.... wasn't.

Fingers very crossed for the sequel. Hopefully they can correct some of these things.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree this is a very underwhelming film after the first viewing. I do think Mena looks like Aladdin myself. Naomi was a great Jasmine indeed. Yes, we meet Jasmine and Aladdin too soon. Jafar was the worst. And they really robbed us by not doing snake Jafar.

I'm glad you thought Cinderella was well done. I think that was the best one done and it's my favorite, even though it is kind of boring and sickeningly sweet to me at times.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Wow it's still playing in theaters?! That is extraordinary news! It's especially impressive, since the Blu-ray was released just a few weeks ago.

Now, about the movie. When I first saw it, I wasn't too fond of it, to be honest, I wasn't too impressed by the visuals or the music, but upon my second theatrical viewing, I grew fond of it, and I appreciated the music a lot more (I was listening to the soundtrack while I was working out at the gym :lol: :lol: :lol: ). And now, that i watched it a third time on Blu-ray, I really love it, and I will go as far as to say that I like it better than the animation, which is really the first time I say this about a Disney remake. I even think that Will Smith is better than Robin Williams as the Genie, so please don't hate me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also agree, it was better than The Lion King (which wasn't that bad, to be honest), and waaaaaaaay better than Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Disney's Divinity

I can't really blame you in regards to Robin Williams. He was annoying sometimes... Jim Carrey's humor is the same way, imo--so OTT that you have to be in the right mood to take it. Although I like several films Williams was in. I definitely prefer the re-make's Jasmine and Sultan. I love Mena's Aladdin, yet I enjoy the animated character even more; he's one of the absolute best male characters Disney has, hard to mess him up. Jonathan Freeman's great, but I've never been as fond of Jafar (the animated character) as other people... I don't mind the Jafar in this film. *shrug*

TJB is the one I like a smidge more than the animated film. Of course I think of them as almost entirely different, which makes it less of a snub of the animated film.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

In my opinion, Mena Massoud is like the character of Aladdin come to life. He even has the same smile. I was so surprised when I saw a tumblr post that mentioned the similar smile. Jasmine was great, and I loved Speechless, even though it was in no way similar to the movie's other songs. Jafar was also pretty impressive, but to be honest, villains are always a highlight. :) The Sultan was ehhh...I have no particular feelings for his character.
And Dalia's character, I felt was a nice addition to the movie, as I love the actress, from the first time I saw her on Saturday Night Live.

I'm still very surprised that I like the remake better than the original, because the original is one of my favorites.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am surprised you prefer the remake and the Will Smith Genie, Vlad! But everyone differs. I do like Dalia myself though.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Disney revealed the awards categories they want Oscar voters to consider, and while the other films list most of their eligible categories, they're just concentrating on Best Original Song for "Aladdin."

A little surprising, as you would think the movie would also be campaigned for categories like production design and costume design. But maybe Disney is really trying hard to get "Speechless" a nomination (although they also have potential original song nominees from Frozen 2, The Lion King and Toy Story 4).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, Frozen 2 will be winning best song; no way Disney will push any of the other nominees over that. I don't think Disney much cares about awards for the re-makes anyway. These only exist for the money.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

My money is on Beyoncé.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

For Your Consideration webpage and ads.

Source: https://disneystudiosawards.com/aladdin/consider

Source: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/disney-fyc-gallery.html

Source: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/disney-fyc-gallery.html

Really odd Disney's only campaigning for Best Song. You'd think they'd at least do so for Costume Design, Production Design, and Score as well. Hopefully, they'll submit the film in more categories despite not listing them in their FYC website. I'm not sure if the score is eligible since it's from a remake and a musical but they did list the score for Beauty and the Beast in their FYC website back then. Just look at the discrepancy between the FYC pages for BatB and Aladdin. It's really jarring. Why can't Disney just submit all of their films in all of the eligible categories and call it a day? Why do they need to play this weird little game every year?

Source: http://disneystudiosawards.com/beauty-a ... t/consider
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It will probably be nominated but I don't think it will win.