Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Post by Disney's Divinity »

She does look great for her age! :o Happy Birthday, Ms. Andrews! :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Rumor has it a certain 3x Oscar nominee and 1x winner will make a surprise appearance during a special award show that airs tonight on ABC....
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Rumor has it a certain 3x Oscar nominee and 1x winner will make a surprise appearance during a special award show that airs tonight on ABC....
Yeah, seeing Julie was the highlight of the Oscars last night. And, somewhat surprisingly, Lady Gaga did a wonderful job with the Sound of Music medley.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity

I agree, it was very nice to see her. I was in and out, so I'm glad I saw the part she was on. I also liked Gaga's performance.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Friday night on TCM (3/20/15) they showed

Darling Lili (1970)
Star! (1968)
Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)
Victor/Victoria (1982)

What do you all think of these films?

I've only seen Victor and Millie and I love them!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'll return with my thoughts on those movies, but I've got a class coming up.

I just wanted to share that Julie has announced a second memoir about her life for release September 2017!!!

http://m.etonline.com/news/161554_julie ... _her_life/

Already looking forward to book signings!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Ah, so back to the films. I recorded them on TCM so I could watch the intros. V/V is simply one of Julie's best films-- one of Blake's best, too, and without a doubt their best collaboration together. It's immensely watchable. Maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite of her movies. I adore Star!, but it certainly isn't for everyone. It's kind of an acquired taste. If you like musicals, however, based on production values and sheer musicality, it is one of the best. Sad its reputation is so horrid. It needs to be reevaluated in my opinion-- it features the best musical performance of a woman whom I consider to be the greatest movie musical performer to have ever appeared on screen. TMM is great fun, but it's also kind of exhausting. It's better edited than either Star! Or Darling Lili, however. Speaking of Darling Lili, it's almost there for me, but Rock Hudson is badly miscast opposite Julie and it almost puts the whole kibosh on the film. I will say I prefer the shorter director's cut, but I think I'm in the minority in that. The few songs Julie sings are great (Whistling in the Dark, The Girl in No Man's Land), as well as her striptease.

How exciting will it be to read Julie's words on the making of these films? Ugh, the anticipation...
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Thank you UmbrellaFish! I will definitely give Star! a watch. I have the DVD but have never watched it. I do love the title tune and Burlington Bertie from Bow on the CD. Darling Lili doesn't interest me as I prefer full out musicals but who knows someday? I did watch the intros and outros and I was surprised that Julie was considered box office poison after 1970. She was just so perfect in Mary Poppins and Sound of Music (as well as Fair Lady, Cinderella and Camelot) that there was probably nowhere else to go but down, considering the times were also changing. I wish she had played Guinevere in the film version of Camelot. That surely would have improved the picture. Camelot, Man of La Mancha and Finian's Rainbow will air on TCM this Friday 3/27. All fabulous shows but the films sucked.
Disney's Divinity

I haven't seen most of Andrews' films, which is something I need to remedy soon, but I did see Victor/Victoria a few years ago on TCM. I remember being curious at the time because "Le Jazz Hot" had been covered on Glee, and I'd never heard it. I thought the film and soundtrack were both phenomenal, in large part because of Julie Andrews. I'm feeling the need for a re-watch.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The Dame turns 80 years old today! Here's a recent picture of Julie at the opening of the LA Philharmonic earlier this week.

Julie will be promoting her newest The Very Fairy Princess book on the Today Show October 8th. She has also announced that she will be directing a new production of My Fair Lady, the musical in which she originated the lead role of Eliza, at the Sydney Opera House in 2016. Finally, Julie has also announced intentions to release a follow up to her 2008 memoir, this time covering her life from Mary Poppins to the 1990's. The book is currently set to be released in 2017.

Happy Birthday, Dame Julie! Thanks for the magic you bring to our lives!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Happy 80th birthday to the magical, musical, and majestic Dame Julie Andrews!!! Thank you for bringing so much joy to my life since I was only a few months old!!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Julie's teaming up with Netflix and the Jim Henson Company to star in a new children's series, Julie's Greenroom, set to debut early 2017! Episodes will feature celebrity guest stars, like Idina Menzel, Chris Colfer (guess the Julie on Glee thing kinda happened now?), and her old chum, Carol Burnett.

Here's an article with the announcement video featuring Julie and the regular cast: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... /85266478/

We had indications something was brewing in Julie-land; there'd been pictures of her with Carol, and Titus Burgess wrote about filming with Julie on Instagram-- I suspected she was going to Netflix, but I didn't expect she'd be starring in a TV show! At 21 years of age, I'm obviously not quite in the target demographic for this show but I'll be binging this like it's the new season of OITNB.

Also, now that they have a working relationship... Maybe Julie and Netflix can team up for stuff more stuff? Hmm...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Heads up: Julie's Greenroom premieres on Netflix this St. Patrick's Day and I am totally binge watching it!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Today is Julie Andrews’ 84th Birthday! In exactly two weeks, the legendary actress of stage and screen will release her second autobiography, Home Work, covering her years in Hollywood. She recently received the Venice Film Festival’s Honorary Golden Lion Award and was announced as next year’s recipient of the American Film Institute’s Life Achievement Award. Last year she lent her voice to Despicable Me 3 and Aquaman and next year will lend her voice talents to play gossip columnist Lady Whistledown in Shonda Rhimes’ Netflix period drama, Bridgerton.

Speaking personally, Julie Andrews’ art has had an immeasurable impact on my life and I wish her lots of joy and happiness as she marks another year on this earth. I look forward to seeing her in person (for the first time time ever!) in December. Happy Birthday Julie!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Why is she only lending her voice to Bridgerton? Is it animated?

I am so glad she has that kind of impact on your life! It's so awesome when...something is so awesome! I am so happy you will get to see her in person! That's incredible!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It’s not animated but Julie’s character will go unseen as the gossip columnist’s true identity is supposed to be a mystery.

And thank you! I almost can’t believe it’s happening...
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Where/how are you seeing her?! (If you're able to say) That's amazing!!!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh it’s not a secret. Julie’s doing a speaking tour to promote her new book and I’m going to one of the last engagements in Atlanta this December. It won’t be one-on-one like a signing, but just to see her in the flesh will be something I’m sure to remember my whole life. I can’t wait!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That's super cool!!!!!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, thanks for the explanation.

Yes, I bet you will remember seeing her for the rest of your entire life!