The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Q: When can we expect to hear any more info on the live-action Little Mermaid?

The DisInsider: Production begins in April, so we will hear more this year, possibly in the next couple of months.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/DHR2Lah.jpg
Q: When do you think we will find out the Little Mermaid cast?

The DisInsider: Should be hearing more this month!
Source: https://i.imgur.com/SHABFBy.jpg
Q: Do you think Christian Lee Navarro has been secretly signed up for Prince Eric?

The DisInsider: Heard two more names auditioned. I sadly don't know who though.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/2hEyW6o.jpg
Q: There are rumors of Halle Bailey leaving the Little Mermaid project due to the backlash. Is this true?

The DisInsider: No, Halle recently screen-tested with those auditioning for Eric.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/FJ7jGlm.jpg
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:
Q: Do you think Christian Lee Navarro has been secretly signed up for Prince Eric?

The DisInsider: Heard two more names auditioned. I sadly don't know who though.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/2hEyW6o.jpg
I hope we get this over soon. This runaround with names first being dropped (like RuPaul as Sebastian and Styles as Eric) that would've been better only for them to cast poorer alternatives is just irritating. Rip off the bandaid already.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

13 Reasons Why star Christian Navarro claims he wasn't cast as Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid live-action remake because Disney wanted someone more 'European'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rmaid.html
'Disney said no. They'd like someone more "European." And we know what that means,' he wrote along with an eye-roll emoji.

'In good times be grateful. In bad times be graceful,' he added.

Navarro didn't specifically mention The Little Mermaid in the third tweet but fans have assumed that it was the film in question.

He deleted the tweet without explanation about three hours after it was posted.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney being so dead set on having a Black Ariel and a white Eric is ridiculous and kinda messed up.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’m very disappointed Disney appears to be dead set on casting a white Prince Eric.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:Disney being so dead set on having a Black Ariel and a white Eric is ridiculous and kinda messed up.
:lol: You’d think it would be the other way around considering Ariel has red hair.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I don't understand Disney's mentality at all on this. I hope they get so much blowback from what Christian Navarro said that they reconsider hiring an ethnic Eric.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

'Little Mermaid' can help save oceans, says Bardem
https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/little- ... oc-1k77n41
In recent talks with Rob Marshall for Disney's live-action remake of "Little Mermaid," Bardem says he urged the director to add environmental messages to the film.

"You have to take advantage of this amazing, beautiful story written by (Hans Christian) Andersen and bring the pollution of the oceans into it," said Bardem.

"You can reach millions and millions of younger generations ... that is something movies like this could and should do."

Marshall was "very open to it," according to Bardem -- but convincing a certain giant corporation might be another matter.

"This is a big machinery. He's not an auteur director who has his own little movie where he can have every decision -- this is Disney."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Oh, boy. This movie is going to be a mess, isn't it? How can such a thing even be integrated into the story? Not to mention that the film is set before the industrial revolution when water pollution wasn't really an issue. It'd be easier to have a veganism message instead.
Disney's Divinity

I agree, there wasn't really pollution in that time, was there? That said, an additional line in Triton's diatribe in the grotto scene about them dropping their refuse down on top of them wouldn't feel too out of place, especially with all her things in the background as examples.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree, there wasn't really pollution in that time, was there? That said, an additional line in Triton's diatribe in the grotto scene about them dropping their refuse down on top of them wouldn't feel too out of place, especially with all her things in the background as examples.
They could possibly go for a plot point that underwater life is damaged and hurt by "trash" that is thrown in the ocean, maybe even add a specific instance where someone close to Triton/or he himself was hurt/attacked by rubble or trash thrown into the ocean. This could further explain why Triton is extra weary of and angry at land folk. Which adds a little extra dimension to the conflict about Ariel's interest in humans.

They just can't fast forward the story to the present to include plastic polution, that would be a dumb move and take away all fairy tale charm from this project in my opinion.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

robster16 wrote:This could further explain why Triton is extra weary of and angry at land folk. Which adds a little extra dimension to the conflict about Ariel's interest in humans.
Isn't the fact that humans eat fish enough for that?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

How about along with the promo of the film, tie it in there ?

I believe Ariel is already a figure head for clean oceans, if I remember correctly.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Atlantica wrote:I believe Ariel is already a figure head for clean oceans, if I remember correctly.
She used to be. She has since been replaced with Moana.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Well there you go then, a perfect fit. I can see that happening for sure.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's Official: Awkwafina Will Star In the Live-Action 'The Little Mermaid'
https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a ... e-mermaid/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Eugh why can't they do a proper launch ?! Just dribs and drabs of random information. Feels unorganised and slapdash.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Atlantica wrote:Eugh why can't they do a proper launch ?! Just dribs and drabs of random information. Feels unorganised and slapdash.
I don't think it's Disney's fault that scoopers keep...um...scooping around. I even think they officially announced Bailey's casting just to get ahead of the press and to put an end to the Zendaya rumours, too.

I am a little surprised they didn't do one big casting announcement at D23. But, yeah, this would be a lot smoother if reporters and scoopers just respected that Disney should be allowed to announce the casting when they feel the time is right, but they all want to be first with their clicks (I actually asked Skyler Shuler with general curiosity once if he ever considers withholding information and letting Disney announce things when they're ready and he said sometimes, but then other websites wind up revealing things first). I agree that announcing them all at once is better than one by one.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

While thinking of those Chinese paper posters you’ve posted in other threads, Sotiris, I thought about how I hope they make one for TLM, too, when it nears release. Which put me on track to thinking about whether or not TLM might re-create the animated film's original posters for the re-make, similar to what we've seen with Mulan. I’m imagining Melissa McCarthy at the top right half of the poster versus Bardem on the top left, Halle Bailey in the center… I hope they do something like that. I can only guess that, even with all the advances of technology!!!, Triton's palace won't be as impressive in the re-make as it was in hand-drawn animation 1989 somehow.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So...

Eric may be white and a black Ariel gives up her voice and home and family and risks her life for him. Well, maybe that's not so bad if you don't look into it...

But now, what about Ursula and Vanessa? A white, overweight Melissa McCarthy becomes a black skinny Vanessa to make Eric pick her over Ariel? Or...she becomes a white, skinny Vanessa to make a white Eric pick her over black Ariel? Or she transforms into other ethnicities? I dunno...maybe Eric and Ursula and Vanessa should all also be black?