Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:Images from the set (more photos in this article):

Image Image

It seems in this version Cruella will be redhead before dying her hair black and white.
If that really is the case, then I'm even less interested in this film. Probably some traumatic accident changes her hair color like she's zapped because of a dalmatian or some nonsense like that. Honestly, I'm not even surprised at this point.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Images from the set (more photos in this article).
This is just Emma Stone being Emma Stone. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

And seeing her dressed like that makes it even more of a tragedy that she hasn't played Mary Jane in any form...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I would say Emma looks like a real bohemian fashion designer in the first photos. And she has a dog there, too? And then there are photos with her chasing...Horace? With a note in her mouth like a dog...I have no idea what that's about. But it looks interesting. Another site suggested she is running from some trouble she caused with Horace and Jasper.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Duster wrote:And then there are photos with her chasing...Horace? With a note in her mouth like a dog...I have no idea what that's about. But it looks interesting. Another site suggested she is running from some trouble she caused with Horace and Jasper.
It must be the latter; I don't think she's chasing Horace. In one of the images in the last link, she's clearly running alongside Jasper and Horace. I have no idea what's happening in the scene either, but it'll probably make sense in the movie.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, so maybe she's running with them. Yeah, I guess we'll find out why.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

All looks good ! Emma is always brilliant in what she does, so have every faith in her here. I just really really hope she is BAAADDDD as Cruella always has been / ends up being.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I'm confused with what this movie is. A prequel, a reboot, a reimagining?

The news reports keep referring to it as a "101 Dalmatians prequel." Which 101 Dalmatians? The time period the prequel is set in (1970s) doesn't match the time period of the 1961 one (1950s). Horace and Jasper are in it, but their ages and ethnicities don't exactly match the 1996 one. And Glenn Close is one of the producers on top of that.

Is it a prequel in a general sense, as a "prequel to the overall idea of 101 Dalmatians" and they just chose to have the movie set in the '70s for the visual factor? Or a prequel/reimagining like Maleficent was?

I tell you, with all these different versions of 101 Dalmatians in books, movies and on TV, they really open themselves up for some multiverse event, not unlike Spider-Man or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lol.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

First look at Emma Thompson's character:

Image Image
Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... ondon.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I love Emma Thompson but I think she looks horrible here. :huh: I thought the Baroness would look sophisticated, suave, and cold, something like Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada but instead she looks like a tacky socialite whose role will be largely comedic.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I think she looks great. Over the top but still chic. I think the name "Baroness" has thrown off expectations of this character. She looks fun and hammy, like I'd expect from a movie where the central character has half black and half white hair.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

lord-of-sith wrote:I think she looks great. Over the top but still chic. I think the name "Baroness" has thrown off expectations of this character. She looks fun and hammy, like I'd expect from a movie where the central character has half black and half white hair.
More like red hair lol. :lol:

I'll wait to see more of Emma Thompson in action before I judge her role.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh my gosh, I absolutely love Thompson in that pic! Sort of Audrey Hepburn meets Fran Drescher.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Another photo of Emma Thompson on the film's set:

Source: https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/04/emma-tho ... -10685068/

Mooky wrote:I'm confused with what this movie is. A prequel, a reboot, a reimagining?
I think it's a bit of all of that. I'd say it's mostly a prequel to the 1996 remake because of the time period, but I'm not so sure anymore. I wish they made just a prequel of that film and didn't try to reimagine the story and the character at the same time.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:I love Emma Thompson but I think she looks horrible here. :huh: I thought the Baroness would look sophisticated, suave, and cold, something like Meryl Strep in The Devil Wears Prada but instead she looks like a tacky socialite whose role will be largely comedic.
I agree, but I still am willing to give her a chance to make me like her character and role.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Haha I think she looks glorious !

Really getting me excited for this movie now :D
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

It's interesting to me how much this movie seems to be following Maleficent production-wise with what we are being shown. Maleficent had barely begun shooting when Disney dropped the first official photo of Jolie in the costume, nearly two years away from its release date. The same happened here, with them releasing the photo of Emma Stone with Horace and Jasper at D23, similarly 2 years away from the films release.

Then, a week or two later, we get set photos of the leading actress in an outfit we don't typically associate with the character (aka Jolie in the brown robes with long hair, Stone with the red hair). It then becomes evident that Disney released the first official image to temper concerns about the characters appearance in early scenes of the movie.

I can imagine how much people would be freaking out about Stone's costume in the filming images if we hadn't already seen her in more "traditional" Cruella garb.

Just an observation!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This movie looks like such a joke. I'm glad Nicole Kidman wasn't the Baroness now, it looks horrible.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Cruella’: Cannes Best Actress Winner Emily Beecham Joins Disney Live-Action Prequel With Emma Stone
https://deadline.com/2019/09/cruella-ca ... 202739455/