The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I wish Cruella's Lost Role (previously a digital exclusive that reflected on how Disney almost reused her for The Rescuers) could have been on the disc but at least we get another new Cruella feature focusing specifically on Marc Davis.
Cruella's Lost Role WILL be on the disc.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Hardbackyoyo wrote: The "In Walt's Words" could also be like the one on the Snow White Signature Edition: a short featurette containing archival interview recordings set to a montage of appropriate clips.
You're right about that actually since Pinocchio did the same thing. I wouldn't mind that for Sleeping Beauty but since 101 Dalmatians has never had a full-length commentary, I hope we can get a full-fledged In Walt's Words feature for it like Cinderella did (even if that was technically planned since as far back as the Platinum Edition).
Hardbackyoyo wrote: Cruella's Lost Role WILL be on the disc.
Has that been confirmed? If so, I'm really excited.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=454
Now that the embargo is over, Prepare to be impressed by this transfer. Disney has utilized the entire 1.60:1 aspect ratio of the full CAPS system, and the image is Taller than the 1.66:1 advertised on the cover. The entire animated image is on display here. No DNR, no Edge enhancement in sight and no tampering to be found anywhere, this appears to be a direct port straight from the CAPS file. Aladdin has bold colors that take full advantage of HDR and most importantly the colors look right. The transfer isn’t overly dark, and not overly bright. Aladdin has several moments in the artwork where the clean up of line art has several mistakes. They didn’t clean them up here as they did in some previous versions, so this appears to be extremely accurate to the theatrical presentation.
Artwork that was low resolution hasn’t been smoothed over or replaced. Detail abounds throughout. The Atmos Audio mix appears to have the opposite issue of several tracks in that the volume might be a bit loud and the bass may be a bit overcooked, but to my ears it much more pleasant than the previous 7.1 mix on the Diamond Edition and closer to the original 5.1. Also the vocals during songs emanate from the center Channel as on the original theatrical mix instead of spreading to other speakers unnaturally as they did on the Diamond Edition and Platinum Remixes.
This looks almost nothing like the previous transfers and that is a great thing. A massive improvement on every level. For those obsessive about changes the opening and closing logos are the new Disney CGI logos, The Arabian Nights song has the same altered line as presented on every home video version. The line “down kitty, take off, scat, go” that some mistake for “teenagers take off your clothes” is present/not removed. End Credits have been re-rendered in native 4K and retain the original 1992 copyright date, but contain restoration credits. The Genie’s last line of “Adios amigos” that was added remains in this version as well.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Really excited for this new transfer! Although I would have liked the original castle logo over the CGI one but I guess you can't have everything.
ImageImage
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Any idea about who sings "Once Upon a Dream" in the trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNl6exZwD9A
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

bruno_wbt wrote:Any idea about who sings "Once Upon a Dream" in the trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNl6exZwD9A

Probably some twat from the Disney Channel circle of stars rotfl
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Hey, guys! I have the Aladdin Diamond Edition digital version on my iTunes account, but I now notice it wasn't updated to the new one they released yesterday. Does anyone else have this issue as well?
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Hey, guys! I have the Aladdin Diamond Edition digital version on my iTunes account, but I now notice it wasn't updated to the new one they released yesterday. Does anyone else have this issue as well?
The only Diamond Edition digital copies that were updated to the new Signature Editions are Beauty And The Beast and The Lion King. All the others have had two versions and you have to buy/redeem the new one to get it, unfortunately. :angry:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Aaaww, well, I was planning on buying it, so no harm done...I guess :lol:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

If Beauty and the Beast gets the same treatment as Aladdin, it will look really good.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=90
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=65

Back covers of Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians. It does indeed look as though Cruella's Lost Role will be on disc! Thanks again Hardbackyoyo for confirming that. I'm pleasantly surprised since Disney doesn't usually do that for their previous digital exclusives. It's too bad Lady and the Tramp didn't get the two digital-only deleted scenes from the Diamond Edition on the new disc, especially since that Signature Edition was especially lacking in new material.

Unfortunately, it does look like the In Walt's Words features are just regular bonus features and not full commentaries like in Bambi or Cinderella.
farerb wrote:If Beauty and the Beast gets the same treatment as Aladdin, it will look really good.
I'm not holding my breath considering this is Disney we are talking about. But this, and Cinderella, are the two films I want to see with proper restorations the most.
ImageImage
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Do you think there is ANY hope that the Walt-era movies will get 4K releases? I don't know why they aren't releasing them NOW!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Why have Sleeping Beauty’s last two releases on physical disc felt so lacking in the bonus department? I mean, yes. We already have such awesome features on the Platinum blu-ray. But come on, Disney. You have the money to port every single feature from past releases, plus the discs are supposed to house 50GB’s worth of content. What gives?? And don’t get me started on 101 Dalmatians. :(
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyJedi wrote:Why have Sleeping Beauty’s last two releases on physical disc felt so lacking in the bonus department? I mean, yes. We already have such awesome features on the Platinum blu-ray. But come on, Disney. You have the money to port every single feature from past releases, plus the discs are supposed to house 50GB’s worth of content. What gives?? And don’t get me started on 101 Dalmatians. :(
Actually the Diamond Edition of 101 Dalmatians ported over pretty much everything from the Platinum DVD minus the art galleries, games, and DVD-ROM features. The Signature Edition seems to have also ported over pretty much everything as well but I think they've dropped the deleted songs (much like Cinderella's Signature Edition did) and maybe a few trailers, although the trailers haven't been 100% confirmed yet.
ImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Yes, but it feels like some of Disney’s- actually every studio’s- physical releases are lacking in bonus features. Especially their big-name classic movies. Like, is the 50GB storage on the BDs a joke to them?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyJedi wrote:Yes, but it feels like some of Disney’s- actually every studio’s- physical releases are lacking in bonus features. Especially their big-name classic movies. Like, is the 50GB storage on the BDs a joke to them?
The films themselves can be 30GB more or less. The Signature Collection had approximately the same amount of bonus materials on disc as the Diamond Editions (not counting the second disc of Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Snow White and Beauty and the Beast). If a bonus from previous release was removed, a different one was added in its place.

I think the films who got a terrible treatment in the bonys features department are the ones who had their cheapquels tacked on on the same disc like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyJedi wrote:Yes, but it feels like some of Disney’s- actually every studio’s- physical releases are lacking in bonus features. Especially their big-name classic movies. Like, is the 50GB storage on the BDs a joke to them?
Disney still made an effort when Blu-Ray first started. Almost all their major releases were 2-Disc releases and had extensive features like Cine-Explore. That only lasted a few years though sadly. I'm fine with Sleeping Beauty though because the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD and the Platinum Edition Blu-Ray/DVD were both some of Disney's best releases. On the other hand, The Lion King has always had terrible home video releases when it comes to bonus features, and films like Hunchback and Hercules never got anything substantial (unless you count the Hunchback laserdisc).
farerb wrote: I think the films who got a terrible treatment in the bonys features department are the ones who had their cheapquels tacked on on the same disc like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch.
Mulan actually got almost all its bonus features ported over. Hunchback suffered a lot since it never got a proper DVD release to port over its laserdisc features the way Pocahontas did. So by the time of the Blu-Ray, they only ported over the measly few bonus features on the one-disc DVD. Stitch and TENG are really shocking examples because they had packed two-disc DVDs but the Blu-Rays feature no bonus features whatsoever.
ImageImage
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

farerb wrote:
The films themselves can be 30GB more or less. The Signature Collection had approximately the same amount of bonus materials on disc as the Diamond Editions (not counting the second disc of Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Snow White and Beauty and the Beast). If a bonus from previous release was removed, a different one was added in its place.

I think the films who got a terrible treatment in the bonys features department are the ones who had their cheapquels tacked on on the same disc like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch.
I understand them wanting to essentially replace what they're removing content-wise, but I feel like disc space isn't being fully utilized. Heck, I'd be okay with the lack of bonus content and only one Blu-Ray disc if Disney ported over all the content from previous releases, making any content that couldn't fit on-disc a digital only exclusive. I'd be okay with not having ANY new bonus content as long as their releases retained all extras from prior home video releases.
UDer #3495 :D
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

But new bonus features help sell the Blu-rays of re-releases.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I finally watched the In Walt's Words: Envisioning Cinderella feature, and I am fully impressed and happy! It was like an audio commentary it finally got, but even better! And I got pencil animation of Cinderella's transformation, so THANK YOU DISNEY!!! I am also glad Walt revealed Cinderella is indeed looking at how pretty and amazing everything is at the ball when she gets there. I always wanted that to be what she is doing when she gets to the ball instead of being "lost", because her looking at and loving everything is what I would do!

I just redeemed my Cinderella Signature code. And the galleries are not there. Are they iTunes only? :(