Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

@AndrewJ626
The CRUELLA video message was just Emma Stone being mean to a dog. Very short and to the point...
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

It looks so bad. She looks like Tim Curry in 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show'. Glenn Close's make up was way softer.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I can't wait for this movie it seems so great !!!! A fresh , Creative take on One Hundred and One Dalmatians with Aline Brosh McKenna writing the script !!! Yay and it's from the director of i Tonya !

Cruella is going to be th best out of all thse Disney reimaging and reamkes !!!

It's like Bob Iger sat down and said " Okay what's best idea you have for a Disney remake or re imaging ?" and some suggest this and Iger was like that's genius !
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

^I find it odd that you were so offended by how Mulan was different from the original film but you're more than pleased with how different this new take on Cruella will be. What is it about the direction of this film that intrigues you so?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I love it. She's so beautiful. :D
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Very late. Still have no interest, but Emma Stone actually looks really good as Cruella! Love the hair and makeup, especially. Def. a fresh take!
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:^I find it odd that you were so offended by how Mulan was different from the original film but you're more than pleased with how different this new take on Cruella will be. What is it about the direction of this film that intrigues you so?
Mulan is the same story made less funny. but at lkeast it seems to have strong valllain than the orginal.
Mulamn looks good. But my teo biggeest compiants are Grandma Fa and Mushu are gone all other changes i can live with. But do not thake away Mushu or especially not the grandmother.

I my really big problem with this choice. There a much beter way to fix to movie without removing parts. Make Mushu more tonewd tone and less ovet tohe top but stiöö funny and make the Grandmother a serious wise older mentor figure with joke here and there instead of mostly played for comedy.

You could get away with a seriuds version of Mulan with Mushu as the only comdic elelment and a Grandmother that was more dignified and wise. I think maybe thy coukd both please fans of the ogriinal chinese audiences.

Cruella on the other sems to be a complete remaging of the story and might even subvert it in some way. It's from different character's perspective and set a decade later.

Cruella isn't really a reamke of the orginal movie as a twist on it . Also i trust the creative team more bhined Cruella since Aline Brosh McKenna , Craig Gillespie and Tony McNamara are all involed. and therfore i think that movie is in safer hands.

Cruella is proabbly going to be some kind dark crime comdey( at least dark for Disney) and have copmetly different tone and subejrct matter while Mulan is still Mulan and the biig isssue is it dosn't feel like it needs to be a Disney movie. Mulan is a thousands of years of years old legend. It must be in the public domiann so any studio could have nade this. It has nothing to do with the Disney version it seems. They shoud
clarify in n the Press releases more that this is not a remake of the disney movie but rather a new adaption of the same stiory by the same studio if they wanted to do that.

But they keep reffering to it as a remake of the animated movie so i am going to judges it as such !

And the cherry on top is they still kept the three unfunny soldier guys while insisting on removing the grandmother and Mushu who actually were funny and that really bugs me !!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan97 wrote:
Mulan is the same story made less funny. but at lkeast it seems to have strong valllain than the orginal.
Mulamn looks good. But my teo biggeest compiants are Grandma Fa and Mushu are gone all other changes i can live with. But do not thake away Mushu or especially not the grandmother.

I my really big problem with this choice. There a much beter way to fix to movie without removing parts. Make Mushu more tonewd tone and less ovet tohe top but stiöö funny and make the Grandmother a serious wise older mentor figure with joke here and there instead of mostly played for comedy.

You could get away with a seriuds version of Mulan with Mushu as the only comdic elelment and a Grandmother that was more dignified and wise. I think maybe thy coukd both please fans of the ogriinal chinese audiences.

Cruella on the other sems to be a complete remaging of the story and might even subvert it in some way. It's from different character's perspective and set a decade later.

Cruella isn't really a reamke of the orginal movie as a twist on it . Also i trust the creative team more bhined Cruella since Aline Brosh McKenna , Craig Gillespie and Tony McNamara are all involed. and therfore i think that movie is in safer hands.

Cruella is proabbly going to be some kind dark crime comdey( at least dark for Disney) and have copmetly different tone and subejrct matter while Mulan is still Mulan and the biig isssue is it dosn't feel like it needs to be a Disney movie. Mulan is a thousands of years of years old legend. It must be in the public domiann so any studio could have nade this. It has nothing to do with the Disney version it seems. They shoud
clarify in n the Press releases more that this is not a remake of the disney movie but rather a new adaption of the same stiory by the same studio if they wanted to do that.

But they keep reffering to it as a remake of the animated movie so i am going to judges it as such !

And the cherry on top is they still kept the three unfunny soldier guys while insisting on removing the grandmother and Mushu who actually were funny and that really bugs me !!
Apparently the matchmaker sequence still exists so maybe the film is more humorous than we've seen from trailers. I think the animated Mulan trailer focused on the more epic qualities than the comedic ones as well if I'm not mistaken. If it makes you feel better, Grandmother Fa was pretty inconsequential in the first film and you could remove her without changing the plot much. She has little screentime as well so her absence doesn't bother me. They probably didn't feel the need to include her anyway since they're introducing a sister so that would be too many supporting characters in Mulan's family alone.

I can understand your reservations about the lack of Mushu though although I think the film is served better with his exclusion. Even if they kept Mushu, his character would have to be completely changed, especially his style of humor, to appeal to Chinese audiences and fans would complain anyway while the Chinese still wouldn't be satisfied with a "western" dragon being shoehorned in. I think it makes more sense to cut him then. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Yao, Chien Po, and Ling either so I'm surprised they're being retained but I guess they needed characters for Mulan to interact with in the army and they might as well use the originally existing characters rather than create new ones. They might not have anything in common with their animated counterparts beyond names though.

I'm also a much bigger fan of the new villainess since Shan Yu is fairly bland.

I guess if you're interested in something radically different for Cruella, a twist as you pointed out, then I can see why you would prefer this. Since I wasn't a fan of Maleficent, which was also a twist on a classic story rather than a straight-up remake, I'm not surprised that I don't like the direction of this film so far. Were you a fan of Maleficent though?
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan97 wrote:
Cruella is proabbly going to be some kind dark crime comdey( at least dark for Disney)
I suppose it'll have to be a comedy in some way, considering that picture looks utterly ridiculous. Clown-like is right.

Even though excising the comedy from Mulan is gob-smackingly stupid and it's a safe guarantee that the re-make is going to be much worse than the original film already because of that decision (even more than the re-makes are normally expected to be worse than their originals), I still have more excitement for Mulan than Cruella--more than ever now.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like the Cruella still. I like Emma's expression with how she's styled.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think she looks great ! Think this film could be brilliant. It quite literally all depends on though ( for me ) if they keep Cruella as cruel. That's what I want to see - a true bad baddie and she stays that way. Give her motivation, sure ( a la Once Upon A Time ) but there is literally NO HARM is keeping her bad.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

is this meant to be a prequel? B/c from the pic and the fact she seems to own dalmatians Im getting a theory of what might be the plot: I think she's already evil and gets some dalmatians only b/c they're fashionable, then she and her crooks attempt to pull a crime but the dogs are smart and have morals(lol) and try to thwart them and succeed, that's how she ends up hating dalmatians/dogs. :D
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

To me Cruella seems way more interesting and exciting than Mulan. Because it really is a different take on the story all together.

Mulan seem to be a more serious take on the story. But it's still the Mulan story. But if only they hade kept the Grandma and Mushu i would much happier.

I don't think it's too much to ask them to kep two of the best elents of the orginal !
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^I know how you feel. I'm still salty that Frozen 2 wont have Hans and its killed a lot of the enthusiasm I had for that film(though I still do plan to watch it.)
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

unprincess wrote: wont have Hans
But we don't know for sure, right? IMDB shows that Santino is playing Hans...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
That might just be there because of fans or it was assumed. It's probably not official.
ImageImage
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Same for me!

Is IMDB really reliable for this matter? Idk...
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

I can see why they picked Emma now. Emma's fun nature could give Cruella an upbeat quality. She could be rebellious but not evil just yet. And fun to see how she becomes a villain.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Clindor wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote: But we don't know for sure, right? IMDB shows that Santino is playing Hans...
Same for me!

Is IMDB really reliable for this matter? Idk...
no, anyone can edit IMDB. That's why I wish Disney would release a full cast list already.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Images from the set (more photos in this article):

Image Image

It seems in this version Cruella will be redhead before dying her hair black and white.