Raya and the Last Dragon

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Dragon Empire

Post by blackcauldron85 »

@G4TOR24
So much information that I'm sure you've gotten elsewhere by now BUT...RAYA AND THE LAST DRAGON love is incredible. The animation is extremely lifelike. I thought I was looking at the live-action scenery.

#D23Expo #D23Expo2019
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Loving what I'm seeing. So happy they have cast a lesser known woman as Raya. And way to get Awkwafina while she's piping hot. Raya and Sisu look absolutely beautiful! Can't wait.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yay for better titles! I like the name Raya, too. A drop of golden sun…

So Awkwafina’s in this, too! Seems like an odd choice for a dragon character. The design for Sisu is really odd... She almost looks like a unicorn.
Sotiris wrote:Sisu is the dragon, and is a magical water being. She is blue, pink, and white. But she will be in human form when we first meet her, taking the appearance of an older woman. She finds herself in human form and needs Raya’s help to transform back to a dragon. Film is about the importance of community. The story is set in an alternate Earth created by dragons.
Sounds like Raya (with Sisu) will need to break the divisions that make up the 5 sections of Kumandra for some reason or another.
UmbrellaFish wrote:What’s interesting is this is beginning to sound like a buddy comedy... between two women. Which I think is a first for a Disney movie and a rarity in film in general.
Although it has happened already with Inside Out and Brave.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I love that they are focusing on Southeast Asia, which is so ignored in films.

I hate the comments about everything looking so photo-realistic. Sigh, why is this necessary?

Im mixed about the dragon's design, it looks too...girly to me...like she was created for a girl's preschool series on Disney Jr. and yes its true she does look like a unicorn.
blackcauldron85

nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sigh. Another buddy road trip movie. I love Awkwafina. But her playing the dragon tells me this is going to be farce through and through. I was really hoping we’d be moving into more classic and refined territory post-Lasseter.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to give my thoughts about the leaks and the new information: I like that it's named after the lead character, yet I'm not so fond of the logo, the concept art nor the still of the dragon (which interestingly enough is going to be a female). They all look pretty generic to me. I'm glad that the premise will be inspired of South East Asian cultures, yet the mashup just scream Big Hero 6 and Moana all over it.
It's interesting and pretty daring that this movie is going to be a non-musical, since this Revival era has established this norm with their female leads all over again. But since it's described as being classic Disney, it's tempting to wonder if it's going to feel like authentic Disney or be something like the non-Princess films from the Revival era.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

I have to say, Raya's concept art is the most detailed of the 4.
Attachments
#es-Pacific-R701704265.jpg
#es-Pacific-R701704265.jpg (242.23 KiB) Viewed 8120 times
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Awkwafina and Cassie Steele talk a bit about their characters in this interview: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1165363076511567872
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:So it's a fictional mash-up of Southeast Asian countries.
Ugh, I hate when they mashup different cultures like they did in Big Hero 6 and Moana.
nomad2010 wrote:Sigh. Another buddy road trip movie. I love Awkwafina. But her playing the dragon tells me this is going to be farce through and through. I was really hoping we’d be moving into more classic and refined territory post-Lasseter.
This is what I'm feeling as well. I wanted something less comedic now that Lasseter is gone.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

I was at the “Go Behind the scene at the Walt Disney Studios” panel yesterday : they showed us two clips from this upcoming movie and let me tell you the backgrounds aren’t less details than in the concept art. Nature and vegetation looks and feels really photorealistic! Everybody was complimenting the opening scene in ‘Toy Story 4’ with the rain.. well there was also rain in the first clip and it was no less impressive :o :o

Actually this movie got me more excited than the upcoming “Frozen 2” because “Raya and the Last Dragon” feels like a new step forward for Walt Disney Animation Studios (kind of different from what they’ve been doing before) while “Frozen 2” only looks like a good sequel :)
Last edited by Clindor on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
blackcauldron85

Clindor, were the clips you saw fully rendered?
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Clindor, were the clips you saw fully rendered?
They were fully animated and it was obviously the final rendering! The work on these scene was over.
Nobody knows if they will appear in the movie though. It could be like one of those teasers which put you in an atmosphere without revealing an actual scene from the movie.
Last edited by Clindor on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

DisneyEra wrote:Now lets hope over the next 6 months, Disney doesn't cancel it :(
Not possible. It feels like they’ve been working on this movie for a while and like half of the production for this one is done.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Gigantic was always being pushed to a later date until it was cancelled, I would not be surprised to learn it had production problems and didn't even reach the rendering phase.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

disneyprincess11 wrote:A real title and looks like Raya WILL be a princess! Can't wait for more shortly!

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVANews/statu ... 2837702657
She really looks more like a really badass character who rely only on herself. But since we know very little about the story or the other characters, who knows what she might turn out to be..

It was also really unclear if this movie was going to be a musical in some way.. Because Jennifer Lee was saying she was really proud to part of the Revival of Disney animated musicals RIGHT before she introduced the movie..
Last edited by Clindor on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote:Gigantic was always being pushed to a later date until it was cancelled, I would not be surprised to learn it had production problems and didn't even reach the rendering phase.
Nobody saw ANY rendered clips from Gigantic. And probably for good reasons, I don’t believe this movie even reach the stage of production because of too many problems during pre-production with the story.

With Raya and the Last Dragon it feels like they have been working on it for a whiiiiiiiile.. they just kept it hidden from us (like Pixar also seems to do for their movies).
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Sotiris wrote:So it's a fictional mash-up of Southeast Asian countries.
Yes it will happen in a country that doesn’t exist.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Sotiris wrote:First look at Sisu, the last dragon.

https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 4673053697

Awkwafina also introduced a concept art of the human form of her character right after this one. She had white hair and a funny crazy gaze indeed :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Somehow I have a feeling this film is going to heavily be compared to Moana.