One Day At Disney: Disney+ documentary

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

One Day At Disney: Disney+ documentary

Post by rodrigo_ca »

On August 22, Disney will unveil 'a secret WDC project'. So far, we don't even know what division is involved in the announcement, so I thought it would be fun for us to throw our ideas around.

Revealed:
https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1164707278810832896

It's a book and a documentary about the cast members around the world. Probably shouldn't have hyped it, Disney.
Last edited by rodrigo_ca on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: A Secret Walt Disney Company Project: Predictions

Post by UmbrellaFish »

On one of the many Jim Hill podcasts, his co-host said that it’s unlikely to be a product for consumers to purchase. I doubt it’s anything very spectacular but it seems unwise to create so much mystery around a potentially underwhelming announcement. One suggestion was a new recognition system for theme park cast members, which is intriguing to me as a former cast member but maybe not so interesting to other Disney fans.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Zootopia 2? They want to announce the original projects first to shut down the complaining about WDAS sequels before they reveal Zootopia 2. I wouldn't mind if it was a Wrecked Princesses spinoff either.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I don't think it would be an acquisition; that would require government regulation, right?, and surely something would have had to be set in motion and already leaked online, right?

If there weren't an overarching Parks panel already, my guess would be a new park. US or international, I don't know, but Universal Orlando did just announce its new park...

I guess Au'lani would fall under "Parks," right? Otherwise I'd maybe guess a similar concept in another part of the country/world.

Maybe they're trying a Disney-branded phone service again, but with Disney+ integrated?

There's a rumor about giving Oswald his own show, so maybe an Oswald panel? Maybe they'll do even more with him? Maybe a new Treasures-like set with the newly discovered shorts...?

Or maybe they'll announce a new Treasures-like line?!
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Maybe a new Treasures-like set with the newly discovered shorts...?

Or maybe they'll announce a new Treasures-like line?!
That would be awesome!.. 8) (but this time it would be on Blu-ray!)

But alas, with Disney+ being just around the corner, I doubt they would be interested in making a new line now.

I think it should be something that cannot be put in any other category/panel (movies, theme parks,...) Something like the launch of Disney+ only it would another kind of money-making service that tends to become very popular.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's definately not going to be a movie. They're not going to announce a new film outside the Disney Studios presentation. Whatever it is, one thing's for sure. It's going to be underwhelming and disappointing. :P Don't set your expectations too high, folks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Wait a second..

What if they plan to do (I really, REALLY hope it won’t be the case) an Avengers-like movie only it would be a crossover between all the characters, environments and kingdoms from the Disney live-action remakes? With so much money flowing from all those remakes since 2010 and considering the success of Marvel crossovers (especially this year) I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens now that Disney has made or is in the process of making in the nearly following years the remakes of its most iconic films.. That’s an easy lazy way to make even more money.. (and with the recent success of their last remake movies this summer, now would be the perfect time to announce that kind of project. And if they want to make it a big event, likely they wouldn’t mind using an entire panel for it)

Considering this, it could also concern an adaptation into movies of the long-planned project Magic Kingdom based on the Kingdom Keepers book franchise.. Only they could use as the « real characters » the actors from all the live-action remakes.

This is only a CRAZY speculation from me.. but guys, I really hope it won’t be the case though.. :|
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I have no idea what it could be, but if I could choose, it would have been great if they announced that they would now start to print region free DVDs and Blu-rays on demand, and with the required subtitles for all non-English speaking countries.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I have no idea what it could be either. I hope it's something amazing like a new theme park. But I think Sotiris probably is right that whatever it is, it will be underwhelming and disappointing. Which most likely will be so because they "oversold" the announcement by making it so secretive. I really hope I'm wrong though.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

does "Walt Disney Company" mean Disney specific or the whole company? b/c if the latter my guess would be something X-Men related.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Clindor wrote:I think it should be something that cannot be put in any other category/panel (movies, theme parks,...) Something like the launch of Disney+ only it would another kind of money-making service that tends to become very popular.
I said I thought it could be a new animated TV special, but it's more likely something like that.
Sotiris wrote:Whatever it is, one thing's for sure. It's going to be underwhelming and disappointing. :P Don't set your expectations too high, folks!
I don't think it's anything too big, because they haven't publicized it much. The only place where you can find something about it right now is on the schedule.
unprincess wrote:does "Walt Disney Company" mean Disney specific or the whole company?
I think it means the whole company.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

D82 wrote:I think it means the whole company.

Talk about meaning the whole company. The "secret project" is a documentary and a book about the cast members around the world.
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Re: One Day At Disney: Disney+ documentary

Post by NeverLand »

So this is "the WDC secret project"?

Very disappointed. :roll:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

You were right that we shouldn't set our expectations too high, Sotiris. It's a nice project, but they made us think it would be something more important by making it so secret.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

It's things like this are convincing me that the $6.99 a month is worth subscribing to Disney+; I'm definitely interested in this!!

*edit* A lot more info here:
https://www.slashfilm.com/one-day-at-disney-d23/
The docuseries, which will consist of 52-episode short-form episodes following a feature-length documentary, will be accompanied by a 224-page coffee table book “highlighting the talented men and women who bring life to some of Disney’s most beloved stories.”
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I’ll check it out. Maybe I’ll know someone in it!

Was actually leaning that it would be an announcement about Lighthouse Point for the cruise line.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's it? Oh, Disney! :lol: This isn't even a real documentary. It's a commercial for Disney's various businesses under the guise of it being about the people working there. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I knew from day one that the hype will be pointless as heck :lol: And to make us wait all the way until 9pm ET. rotfl The D23 press releases was way more of a "Secret Disney Announcement" than something that could have been announced with Disney+.

Still looking forward to it nevertheless.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Lol, this is the secret project? I saw this thread but because of the name change, I didn't realize this was what was being hyped as some sort of ultimate reveal. Very disappointing.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

They gave a short presentation about the documentary series at the Expo today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_bG07tJVfg
Sotiris wrote:That's it? Oh, Disney! :lol: This isn't even a real documentary. It's a commercial for Disney's various businesses under the guise of it being about the people working there. :roll:
I'm sure there'll be interesting stories in it, but I thought the same when I was watching the trailer; above all, this seems made for publicity purposes.