Tarzan Live-Action?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Tarzan Live-Action?

Post by Sotiris »

According to our source – the same one who told us an Aladdin sequel was happening last month before it was confirmed this week – Disney is in the process of developing a live-action remake of their 1999 animated classic Tarzan, and Ryan Reynolds is said to be one of several big names on their wishlist to play the lead role.

Of course, the project is still in the early stages of development and given that Reynolds is said to just be on a wishlist at this point, it’s unclear if the studio has even reached out to the Deadpool actor yet or if he even knows about this. As such, it’s likely that reps for both Disney and Reynolds will deny this until there’s an actual confirmation sometime in the near future, but again, this is the same source who told us about the Aladdin sequel, so we’re inclined to believe them.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/rya ... an-remake/
Yesterday, we brought you the news that Ryan Reynolds is on the studio’s wishlist to play the titular jungle man and our sources have now informed us that Chris Pratt is likewise on Disney’s radar to bring Tarzan to life. As the project is at such an early stage, though, it’s possible – and probably likely – that the studio hasn’t reached out to either actor yet as they’re only on a wishlist right now. As such, don’t be surprised if Pratt denies this. In fact, we imagine that he’s completely unaware that the Mouse House is even eyeing him.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/chr ... ke-disney/
Q: Is the report of a live-action Tarzan true?

Skyler Shuler: No, WGTC is continuing to report a new movie everyday it seems.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 1473153026
Q: The ONLY live-action remake I’ll happily accept. But only if Skyler Shuler confirms this as legit.

Skyler Shuler: Lol, sadly this is not.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 6128190464
Q: Any chance we will see a Tarzan live-action movie in the near future?

The DisInsider: There are Tarzan rumors floating out there that aren't true, so no.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/oumt7Ro.jpg
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Tarzan (Live-Action)

Post by estefan »

I find it funny that after Guillermo del Toro called them out, they've gotten really defensive. You don't see the trades desperately shouting "but our sources are reliable!"
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Tarzan would make sense as a re-make, but.... Is it even possible? I remember Tarzan (the animated film) wasn't allowed to appear in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories even though it should have because that game mimics the first game's world roster, and of course not future games, because of licensing issues. How would any of that work? Maybe if Disney worked it out in order to make a live-action re-make, the film could actually appear in KH again, too. :!:

Regardless, Ryan Reynolds would be a horrible choice. I love him, but I can't see it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Tarzan would make sense as a re-make, but.... Is it even possible?
Disney can always buy the movie rights again. It's really not a big deal. The Burroughs estate is not picky; they'll sell it to anyone who meets their asking price. The thing is I'm not sure Disney is willing to pay it. When they start running out of animated films to remake, I think they'll seriously consider it. Tarzan was actually one of the few films post-renaissance that was considered successful.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Regardless, Ryan Reynolds would be a horrible choice. I love him, but I can't see it.
Agreed. Reynolds would be a terrible choice. If they ever do make a remake I hope it's a musical. It can easily work both with the characters themselves singing and as voice-over singing like in the original. Phil Collins' songs are too good to not include.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:If they ever do make a remake I hope it's a musical.
Oh, that goes without saying. The film's soundtrack is one of Disney's strongest. And, besides, just like arguments around Mulan, any company could make an adaptation of Tarzan, but only the Disney film can include these songs and characters from the animated film.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Considering none of the characters really sing it does not go without saying. The one character that does gets cut off after a few sentences.
Disney's Divinity

So you don’t consider the original a musical either then? I didn’t say I wanted the characters to sing, apologies if that's what you assumed, but I meant that "Two Worlds," "Son of Man," "You’ll Be in My Heart," etc. should all definitely be a part of the film, imo, possibly with a new original by Phil Collins like the other re-makes. A Tarzan re-make without the songs would be even more ridiculous than cutting them from Mulan.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Man all these rumors/possibilities of too many remakes just...

Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Disney's Divinity wrote:So you don’t consider the original a musical either then? I didn’t say I wanted the characters to sing, apologies if that's what you assumed, but I meant that "Two Worlds," "Son of Man," "You’ll Be in My Heart," etc. should all definitely be a part of the film, imo, possibly with a new original by Phil Collins like the other re-makes. A Tarzan re-make without the songs would be even more ridiculous than cutting them from Mulan.
Definitely not. Which isn't to say I didn't like the main songs, but its no more of a musical than say, toy story2. (using that example since they do have some character singing in it)

This video explains pretty well how much of a black sheep tarzan was in terms of being disney in a classical sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMJ8FyQiM4Y

Could a live action version address these issues? maybe we'll find out.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

I believe the Legend of Tarzan is something that has been adapted too many times in cinema to guarantee a success if Disney would try to remake it..

Last adaptation was from 2010 am I right?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, I would've like a new remake of Tarzan. It was after all a hit and I cannot see a reason for Disney not to remake it. But now it would make perfect sense if Jon Favreau directed it, since he's recently directed two of Disney's prior Jungle films, so it would've been a full circle for him.
Kyle wrote:This video explains pretty well how much of a black sheep tarzan was in terms of being disney in a classical sense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMJ8FyQiM4Y Could a live action version address these issues? maybe we'll find out.
Yeah, but does it truly makes it The Black Sheep? I've never thought that it was the Black Sheep among the Disney canon for that reason.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Okay. Just dont cast an actor who is over 25. Tarzan was 18-early 20s in film.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

well after Lion King's success they're probably looking at their animated canon for more "big game" animal films to adapt to LA. Tarzan is really the only other contender left that could be a successful earner at the BO. Brother Bear and Bambi wouldn't cut it as one's considered a flop and the other one is a classic but considered too simple and "for little kids" and "old fashioned" so to speak, ala Dumbo which Disney had to completely change as a story to pad it to LA movie length...and it bombed. The others are either cat/dog films or mice films...aren't they making Rescuers? I cant keep track of all these LA announcements, lol. :P

btw, if Cats is a success, I can already see Disney sticking CGI fur on actors to make a LA Robin Hood. The horrors! :huh:
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Yes, I would be interested to see what happens with Lady and the Tramp with the speaking animals. Because part of the charm is the characters speaking. That was missing in Dumbo. If Tarzan is remade, I'd like to see the animals speak.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Clindor wrote:I believe the Legend of Tarzan is something that has been adapted too many times in cinema to guarantee a success if Disney would try to remake it..

Last adaptation was from 2010 am I right?
Warner Bros released a Tarzan movie three years ago, with Margot Robbie as Jane, but it took place after Tarzan already became a part of regular society and involved him returning to the jungle to stop some poachers. It managed to make around $355 million, which was better than expected, but still not enough to recoup its large budget.

I do think a Disney-produced Tarzan would make bigger numbers than that.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Kyle wrote: This video explains pretty well how much of a black sheep tarzan was in terms of being disney in a classical sense.

Ugh, no offense, but I agree with the others (as well as most of the comments) that Tarzan is treated as the "black sheep" of the 90s because of trademark issues, not because of anything to do with the songs. Especially considering this was Disney's last win for Best Song after Pocahontas and before Frozen. The Phil Collins songs are still today very widely recognized and popular unlike any of the 2000s Disney songs or even the rest of the late 90s ones.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Kyle wrote: This video explains pretty well how much of a black sheep tarzan was in terms of being disney in a classical sense.

Ugh, no offense, but I agree with the others (as well as most of the comments) that Tarzan is treated as the "black sheep" of the 90s because of trademark issues, not because of anything to do with the songs. Especially considering this was Disney's last win for Best Song after Pocahontas and before Frozen. The Phil Collins songs are still today very widely recognized and popular unlike any of the 2000s Disney songs or even the rest of the late 90s ones.
I agree. It seems like the person who made this video isn't familiar with the trademark of Tarzan, which is why there is no Tarzan funko pop either.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

WarriorDreamer wrote:Okay. Just dont cast an actor who is over 25. Tarzan was 18-early 20s in film.
Especially not someone who is over 40.

They should really take a leaf from the musical and have the characters singing the songs. This time I wouldn't even care if they didn't include songs created for the Broadway show (maybe Everything That I Am but I'll live)
Disney's Divinity

rodrigo_ca wrote: They should really take a leaf from the musical and have the characters singing the songs. This time I wouldn't even care if they didn't include songs created for the Broadway show (maybe Everything That I Am but I'll live)
Same. "Everything That I Am" is the only genuinely good song, although I have a fondness for several of the others ("Different," "Who Better Than Me"; and I do like the very end of "For the First Time," too, beginning with the line "And I realize all the things they said would happen…" Something about Jane’s actor reminds me of Olivia Newton-John.). I’d rather the characters didn’t sing the songs, personally.

I can see Tarzan and Jane being anywhere from early 20's to mid-30's really.
blackcauldron85

Re: Tarzan Live-Action?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm taking this with a spoonful of salt, and this is the only site I can find this on (I signed up for their newsletter a week or so ago when someone posted an article by them):

https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/05/02 ... nt-disney/