The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Maybe they will confirm who are playing Ursula and Sebastian on D23.

Perhaps even Flotsam and Jetsam !
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, we finally have a bit of Sebastian news. RuPaul was approached and passed on the role.
So apparently RuPaul was in the running and possibly in talks for Sebastian in ‘The Little Mermaid’ but passed on the role.
https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 6910036993
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wow, it's a shame he passed on the role. I’m sure he can’t sing great like Wright and Burgess, but, considering they mostly cast non-singers in these remakes anyway, he does have a lot of personality to pull it off, imo. Like Awkwafina as Scuttle(or Sicoe's suggestion of Gal Gadot for Snow White), I probably would never have thought of it, but I can't stop imagining it now.

I wonder why he would turn it down? Maybe he thought he should be playing the drag-inspired villain...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Melissa McCarthy just pretty much confirmed she's Ursula. (11:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTRHNRcr06g
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

She could have been winking to Disney to convince them to do it? No, she probably got it! Please, yes!
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

She better play it menacing and evil (with that little Pat Carroll smirk en tongue in cheek for good measure)!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

YAIISSSS !

Absolutely here for Melissa to play Ursula. Brilliant idea, and she will be excellent in the role. As she is in most things ! And she can sing too :)
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

RuPaul is busier than ever, filming seasons of Drag Race, All-Stars, and the new UK spin-off. Plus, he’s been filming a new scripted comedy for Netflix which if successful would garner a second season.

On the other hand, playing Sebastian in The Little Mermaid remake would just require what, some weeks in a Burbank recording studio? Followed by a month or two of press when the movie comes out— and The Little Mermaid would probably be the most high profile project of RuPaul’s entire career thus far so I’m surprised he passed on the project

So strange to imagine RuPaul as Sebastian... not sure whether it’s a bad thing or a good thing that he passed it up. Vocally, he’s no patch on Samuel E. Wright but I can sort of see RuPaul doing well in the book scenes. It’s taking so long to hear anything about Sebastian which means something must be up... it’s like how Angela Lansbury was one of the last names announced for MPR, because she wasn’t offered the role until Julie turned it down.
Disney's Divinity

I think Melissa McCarthy will be good. I like her in general even if I don’t consider this a perfect cast—just better than Lady Gaga would’ve been.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I think Melissa McCarthy will be good. I like her in general even if I don’t consider this a perfect cast—just better than Lady Gaga would’ve been.
I agre Melissa Mccarthy is way better choice than Lady Gaga would have been !

Nothing about Lady Gaga say Ursula at all.

Heck ! Is even Lady Gaga a good actress ?

At least Melissa McCarthy is an Actress frist and acting is her main skill. It's not a high a bare i know. But It's good they cast some who is actresss in the role.

And don't protest by bringing up A star Is Born. I din't like the movie personally and Lady Gaga playing a famus singer , Wow that's really a stretch !

But if we ever get Enda Mode in lIve action i say cast Lady Gaga as her !

Énda Mode wasn't even played by a professional actress to begin with.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyFan97 wrote:Heck ! Is even Lady Gaga a good actress ?
Yes. She won the Golden Globe for Best Actress for a Mini-Series or Television Film for American Horror Story:Hotel, and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress for A Star is Born. You may not have thought she wasn't good but the Academy did.
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan97 wrote:
I agre Melissa Mccarthy is way better choice than Lady Gaga would have been !

Nothing about Lady Gaga say Ursula at all.

Heck ! Is even Lady Gaga a good actress ?

At least Melissa McCarthy is an Actress frist and acting is her main skill. It's not a high a bare i know. But It's good they cast some who is actresss in the role.
I agree with you completely. I like Gaga, but not really as an actress, no, and especially not in roles that would require much from her. I’m still in the dark as to why anyone in the world would even think of Gaga for Ursula the Sea Witch anyway? The idea alone is ludicrous. She should stick to singing, dancing, and songwriting, imo. Those are her strengths.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I'm glad it wasn't / isn't Gaga ... but surely if she was picked, that would be an outcry too ? The role would ideally suit a plus sized actress, but Gaga isn't that at all. Physically, Ursula is much more Melissa Mccarthy ( without the tentacles, obviously :P )
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Accustomed to sharing the spotlight with sister Chloe as part of their Grammy-nominated R&B duo as well as co-stars on Freeform’s “Grown-ish,” Bailey is going solo sooner than expected thanks to her upcoming role as Ariel in Disney’s live-action reboot of “The Little Mermaid.” “It is definitely a little bit nerve-racking because I am the little sister,” Bailey says. “I am so used to [us] always going through these challenging moments in our career together, [but] I am beginning to understand that this film is so much bigger than me.”
Source: https://variety.com/gallery/young-holly ... ul-2019-3/
Halle Bailey wrote:I feel like I'm dreaming and I'm just grateful and I don't pay attention to the negativity. I just feel like, you know, this role was something bigger than me and greater and it's going to be beautiful. I'm just so excited to be a part of it.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8TEM1woNA
"It means so much to me," the 19-year-old entertainer shared. "I feel very honored and really grateful for the opportunity. Ariel was one of my favorite princesses growing up so it's a dream come true," she added with a gleaming smile. "I'm very excited and happy."

As for her sister, Chloe said that getting to see Halle show off her acting skills and on-screen charm "means the absolute world to me." "My sister is so incredibly talented and I can't wait for the world to see what I see every single day," Chloe, 22, marveled. "I am just so proud of her. It's going to be really good."

While Halle couldn't give much away in terms of what fans might be able to expect – including whether or not she'll be donning the character's iconic red locks for her take on the eponymous mermaid – she did say she's most excited to sing "Part of Your World" and promised that the project is "going to be very amazing and beautiful."

When asked about the actors who could possibly play Prince Eric in the film, Bailey said, "Oh, I don't mind. I think that anyone would be great for it," she continued with a laugh.
Source: https://www.etonline.com/halle-bailey-s ... ive-130012
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Melissa McCarthy Continues to Play Coy About Ursula Casting Rumors, Admits 'I'm Very Interested'
https://www.etonline.com/melissa-mccart ... ted-129927

Asher Angel Says It Would Be a Dream Come True to Play Prince Eric in 'Little Mermaid'
https://www.etonline.com/media/videos/a ... le-mermaid

Awkwafina Dances Around Rumors She's Joining 'Little Mermaid': 'I Would Be More Than Honored'
https://www.etonline.com/awkwafina-danc ... -exclusive
Disney's Divinity

Atlantica wrote:I'm glad it wasn't / isn't Gaga ... but surely if she was picked, that would be an outcry too ? The role would ideally suit a plus sized actress, but Gaga isn't that at all. Physically, Ursula is much more Melissa Mccarthy ( without the tentacles, obviously :P )
You would think so. I know it pissed me off when they cast a young, skinny woman to play Ursula in the musical--the musical's Ursula was such a misfire altogether. But as far as average moviegoer? Mostly no reaction, I'm sure.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Halle Bailey said shooting starts in early 2020 in London and she's been taking lessons to learn how to swim gracefully like a mermaid.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1C-rxcl_YY/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yay!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The Disinsider has confirmed that Harry Styles has indeed signed on to play Prince Eric ....

I’m on my phone so have no clue how to post a link !?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey