Marvel's X-Men will be different from Fox's X-Men

All topics on all things Marvel.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Marvel's X-Men will be different from Fox's X-Men

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Kevin Feige Says What Marvel Studios Does With X-Men Will Be "Quite Different"
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/07/21 ... comic-con/

He doesn't tell what he has in mind, but I'm glad it will be different from Fox. After using the same concept for almost 20 years, it's about time the theatrical version of the mutant group move on into new territory.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Marvel's X-Men will be different from Fox's X-Men

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm glad it won't be anything like the Faux-Men.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Well, they can't be too different. Aside from characterization, the only other element they can add is the cosmic one.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:Well, they can't be too different. Aside from characterization, the only other element they can add is the cosmic one.
Colorful costumes for one. A focus on anyone who isn't Wolverine will be another. Mystique not being a hero and Magneto and Xavier's dynamic not being the forefront in every film. Including actual villains beyond Magneto and his Brotherhood. Blue characters actually being blue and not switching to human form for most of their screentime. Including the Danger Room since that was terribly underserved in X3. A proper Dark Phoenix Saga although I wouldn't blame Marvel if they wouldn't ever want to touch that. Beyond the cosmic, there's also the mystical elements like Juggernaut, Magik, Limbo, and Inferno, not to mention Scarlet Witch and House of M.
ImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

The setting can be different, without all the mutant hysteria.

And I wouldn't mind if they went back to basic, when mutants was something rare (before the Morlocks and even more during the Grant Morrison run). This is also mentioned in one of the movies when a mutant says "there are so many of us".
Neither would it hurt if they tried a different concept than good mutants versus bad mutants, or mutants versus mutant hating humans, which is what most of their movies have focused on.

Regarding blue characters; I remember when Kelsey Grammer was Beast, and how he hand turned human once it got close to Leech, and blue again when he removed it. And he could have continued switching between having a blue and a human hand all day long if he wanted. It was just silly.

X-Men's main problem so far, beyond the fact that they were repeating themselves, is that their world is too small. Look how big Disney's Marvel universe has become. Fox was free to expand the X-Men universe in every direction they desired, adding their own ideas. But they never did.

The first couple of films did make an important contribution to the superhero breakthrough in Hollywood, but they have not aged well in my opinion.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

The main difference will be that they'll be cracking jokes at inopportune moments.

It may be blasphemous to say, but I always found certain comics elements of X-Men to be over-the-top and ridiculous (Asteroid M, Savage Land, cosmic adventures, Mojoverse, constant back-and-forth with the Phoenix Force...) and taking away from the discrimination angle. I guess it depends on how they're adapted for the big screen -- it worked in the animated series -- but I preferred the grounded tone of the Fox films (shadowy government experiments, Phoenix as Jean's powers evolving/split personality, etc.). I agree with JeanGreyForever that they placed too much emphasis on Wolverine and Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique to the detriment of other characters.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Mystique has always been my favorite character. I can't feel bad she got a great deal of focus in the past, and I can't blame them for highlighting Wolverine either since they really hit the bull's-eye with Hugh Jackman and audiences love him in the role.

I've never read American comics and I haven't seen the original series. I gave it a try a couple of times over the years, but the animation was so freaky. The only thing besides the movies I've seen that was related was X-Men: Evolution, and I've read a great deal of criticism of that show in the past even though I liked it and wish it had been given one last season to cover the Phoenix arc. I do hope they give more attention to other characters in the future (Storm, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Rogue, Iceman, Shadowcat). I was never really a fan of Magneto and Xavier before the softset reboot with McAvoy and Fassbender in the roles, although I do love Ian McKellan. I haven't seen Dark Phoenix yet to speak about that film, but, I don't know, I've liked the majority of the films to varying degrees aside from Origins: Wolverine and The Last Stand. I even liked Logan and X-Men: Apocalypse. I'd say X2 and Days of Future Past were the best ones.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Mooky wrote:The main difference will be that they'll be cracking jokes at inopportune moments.

It may be blasphemous to say, but I always found certain comics elements of X-Men to be over-the-top and ridiculous (Asteroid M, Savage Land, cosmic adventures, Mojoverse, constant back-and-forth with the Phoenix Force...) and taking away from the discrimination angle. I guess it depends on how they're adapted for the big screen -- it worked in the animated series -- but I preferred the grounded tone of the Fox films (shadowy government experiments, Phoenix as Jean's powers evolving/split personality, etc.). I agree with JeanGreyForever that they placed too much emphasis on Wolverine and Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique to the detriment of other characters.
I doubt that will be the only difference.

Cosmic adventures is something all established Marvel (and DC) have experienced numerous times. A natural consequence of living in a shared superhero universe next to aliens, demons and warlocks.
I have barely read any comics that include the Asteroid M, if we are talking about Magneto's headquarters, and I don't see why it should be required. Savage Land was created in a time when Iceman could shoot ice cream from his hands, but it has come a long way since then. With Ka-Zar, it got its own life.
Have never really liked the Mojoverse myself, but that is just a small part of the whole X-Men universe.
Agree that the whole concept of the Phoenix force has become repetitive.

And I'm possibly one of the few that didn't like Logan (the movie) either.

Skipping the whole discrimination concept for a while (or even for good) would feel like a breath of fresh air. It may have made partly sense in a world where mutants were the only superhumans, but in a world where they are just one of many different kinds, it makes far less sense. Shouldn't humans be just as worried about demons crawling out from Hell or other parts of the netherworld, robots able to mass produce themselves, aliens invading earth, and so on?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Mooky wrote:The main difference will be that they'll be cracking jokes at inopportune moments.

Lol.

Well, Asteroid M and the Savage Land debuted in the 60s when the X-Men were pretty tonally no different from any superhero team. This is the same era where Merlin was a villain, an alien was responsible for crippling Xavier, Xavier's stepbrother was a mystically powered juggernaut, another alien whisked away Magneto and Toad to outer space, and finally yet another alien was responsible for assembling a new Brotherhood (Factor Three) for the purpose of an alien invasion.

The X-Men have had cosmic adventures associated with them since the 70s when they made their big revival and while a lot of people aren't a fan of it, I've never had an issue with it. A good deal of their major stories involve the Shi'ar, the Starjammers, the Brood, etc. Mojoverse was always an odd fit but that's because Longshot was never meant to be involved with the X-Men. When his creator, Ann Nocenti, couldn't get a start on his own series right away, she asked Chris Claremont to utilize Longshot which is how Spiral and Mojo were introduced into the X-Universe.

I did like the split personality for Phoenix because that's not too different from how you could read the original story when Jean outright explains that the power of Phoenix has created a schizoid personality within her. Too bad the recent Dark Phoenix movie couldn't stick with that interpretation and had to involve new nonsense.
Rumpelstiltskin wrote: I doubt that will be the only difference.

Cosmic adventures is something all established Marvel (and DC) have experienced numerous times. A natural consequence of living in a shared superhero universe next to aliens, demons and warlocks.
I have barely read any comics that include the Asteroid M, if we are talking about Magneto's headquarters, and I don't see why it should be required. Savage Land was created in a time when Iceman could shoot ice cream from his hands, but it has come a long way since then. With Ka-Zar, it got its own life.
Have never really liked the Mojoverse myself, but that is just a small part of the whole X-Men universe.
Agree that the whole concept of the Phoenix force has become repetitive.

And I'm possibly one of the few that didn't like Logan (the movie) either.

Skipping the whole discrimination concept for a while (or even for good) would feel like a breath of fresh air. It may have made partly sense in a world where mutants were the only superhumans, but in a world where they are just one of many different kinds, it makes far less sense. Shouldn't humans be just as worried about demons crawling out from Hell or other parts of the netherworld, robots able to mass produce themselves, aliens invading earth, and so on?
I agree that in a shared universe, you can't break away from things like the cosmic universe or the supernatural elements.

Asteroid M was only present for a few issues of the original 60s X-Men run before being introduced again in the 90s as Avalon. Frankly, more egregious was Magneto's island base in the early 80s based on Lovecraft. The Savage Land is something that could be retconned in the movies to have a connection to mutants especially with the Savage Land Mutates and Sauron could easily be reinterpreted.

I found Logan overrated although I did like it. Personally my favorite movie out of his three was the second one, The Wolverine.
ImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

I didn't like Mojoverse because it felt completely different and out of place from what we were used to from the X-Men. If you're watching Law & Order, you want more of the same of what you have already seen. That's what you are used to and what you expect. Something different now and then, a little change, is not unthinkable. But you don't want an episode that's a musical or a comedy. Also, I never understood why all the females were drooling over Longshot (was it the mullet?). But it was nice of Claremont to help Ann Nocenti with her creation.

I haven't seen Dark Phoenix yet. After Logan I pretty much gave up on the X-Men movies from Fox (maybe New Mutants will be different in a good way). Deadpool had a good start, but the second movie was just too silly, and Domino had absolutely nothing in common with the comic book version. It may sound like a lot of complaining, but nothing would make me happier than praising a good X-Men movie. The problem is that Fox did not handle the material well in my opinion.

Magneto's Lovecraft inspired island is something I haven't read yet. Savage Land could be used also in other settings than the X-Men, and introduce Ka-Zar and Shanna O'Hara.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Mojoverse didn't bother me that much because there's a lot in that era that felt tonally off and just plain weird but worked because of the shared universe. Like Kulan Gath or The Adversary for example. I guess the main difference is that Mojoverse stuck around and became a staple of the X-Men and has been adapted in all forms of media like TV shows, video games, etc. To be fair, only Rogue and Dazzler (and I guess Spiral) had a thing for Longshot and the former two were pit against each other because they were old rivals in the Dazzler series. Considering how similar Longshot and Gambit were, to the point that many people that Gambit was a new incarnation of Longshot, Rogue liking him is at least consistent for the character. Hardcore Dazzler fans hate how she was saddled with him because it was so OOC from her characterization in her own series but I'll just say that her taste in men back from her solo days wasn't any better.

Ann Nocenti was Claremont's editor and she worked hand-in-hand with him a lot. I think the reason why Longshot was written out of the book eventually was so he could end up in his own solo book but for whatever reasons, that never transpired.

I'm not a Deadpool fan anyway so I didn't bother with the sequel and Dark Phoenix is a film that I still feel should never have even been released. The film should have been relegated to Disney Plus as an "exclusive."

Yeah, around UXM 148 or something, Cyclops washes up on an island that Magneto has taken control of. The X-Men have a major battle with him in UXM 150 and take over the base. When the X-Mansion is destroyed during the beginning of the Brood Saga, they're forced to live here for a while and Illyana's kidnapping by Belasco and subsequent transformation into Magik occurs because he finds her while the X-Men are on this island so that's pretty much it's only relevance.

The Savage Land was prominent during Secret Invasion when the New Avengers battle the Skrull imposters. I could see it showing up in a future MCU film although which one, I wouldn't know. Maybe one day Ka-Zar will get his own film.
ImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I just want a Generation X animated tv series. We were gonna get one way back in the 90s but they decided to do a tacky tv movie instead. Boo! :(
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

I have read everything about the X-Men that has been published in my country, except the little that came out in the 60s and possibly 70s. If it is even possible to find those issues you better have a deep wallet. I have also read some in English, but not much, and a long time ago.

In one of the Mojoverse stories I read we have weird looking lawyers running around like it was a Looney Tunes cartoon or something. That's one of the things that just takes me out of the story.

X-Men was actually cancelled (again, in my country) after the first appearance of Longshot. They were always some years behind the American issues. Which is why I remember how what appears to be every single female X-Men present in the building back then was standing around his bed: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/ ... rospective

Also remember something about how Gambit and Longshot actually have a single origin, but somehow this prototype split into two different characters. I don't remember the details.

When X-Men went into printing again, Longshot was gone. I think we got all of the Grant Morrison stuff, amongst other things before and after. And one of the last storylines that was available was when Wolverine beheads Sabretooth (and Wild Child appears with nipple rings of all things), even if I heard that he was actually just a clone. A common way to cheat death in the Marvel universe.

What the Deadpool comic is concerned, I never really understood its popularity. But the movie had its moments, and I had hoped it would be used as a stepping stone to make an ever better sequel. Instead the sequel turned into a mess, in my opinion.

The island sounds a bit like Krakoa. I heard it will play a big part in a new storyline these days. Either way, the X-Men has become a little too political for my taste. (If Marvel ever announce an interest in coming up with a concept that resembles X-Men from the Claremont and Byrne period, and invites anyone to join in on the new title's creation, I'll be first in line.)

And yes, a Generation-X series made in the spirit of the original comic book would have been great.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I want tech whiz Kitty Pryde (so goodbye to just mere cameos or that dumb valley girl Kitty from the animated series), funny jokester Kurt, a badass Rogue in her 20s, and an Emma Frost x Cyclops relationship. If they change it like they've done with Spiderman I'm gonna be mad.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

"Funny jokester Kurt".

You mean you don't want Kurt the catholic priest?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I was reading something on a Supernatural fansite and Jensen Ackles fans apparently thought something he liked on a social media site might hint at him being considered for the character of Cyclops. His fans seem to be OTT though, so I’m not sure there's anything there really. Still, I think Ackles would be a good choice for the role (or, even better, maybe a new version of Wolverine…).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Marvel Studios is currently developing an X-Men based feature film tentatively titled, The Mutants. It’s currently being developed as a feature film and is intended to be a reboot of the X-Men franchise.
Source: https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/03/ ... exclusive/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Marvel Studios Execs Eye Meetings Soon To Hear Writers’ Pitches For Coveted ‘X-Men’ Job
https://deadline.com/2023/09/x-men-movi ... 235558844/