Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I thought they said before Glenn Close was involved in some way? :?
I'm not sure if she's still involved with the project but early in its development she signed on as an executive producer. Of course, her involvement in that capacity did not necessarily mean the film was to be a prequel to the 1996 film. That's something we assumed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I think she's one of the film's producers but that may not amount to much.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: I'm not sure she's still involved with the project but early in its development she signed on as an executive producer. Of course, her involvement in that capacity did not necessarily mean the film was to be a prequel to the 1996 film. That's something we assumed.
I know that. But it's strange that she would want to be involved with this project if not for that reason. It's not like this is going to be a great film or something that would receive awards attention that she would get anything out of being involved in the making of it over working on better things instead.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Close is a huge Disney fan and having worked on cultivating Cruella's character for two films, perhaps she felt she could be a resource for this film in their fresh new take on her. Or maybe she just wanted involvement of some sorts.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The thing is, you can't really make a movie focused specifically on a character like Cruella unless you alter the character one way or the other. Either you give her some kind of backstory of abuse/trauma or a mental illness that inevitably makes her somewhat sympathetic, or you have to make her even crazier than she was in order to fill a film of her that's supposed to revolve around her being a lunatic. In the latter case, I can picture a story where Cruella (like most psychopaths) exhibits disturbing behavior as a child that terrifies her parents, then grows up even more dangerous and terrifies/endangers the people around her as an adult, etc. etc., but even that would require another lead during the adult half for Cruella to be treated like the villain in a slasher movie. :lol:

But Disney would never have the balls to do that because a film based on a character well-known from a children's film has to ultimately be made with a family audience in mind. Trying to make a movie of her "life" without either a sympathetic backstory or making her more dangerous/crazy than she was would mean a movie only of flashbacks to her acting like a spoiled brat as a child and then a spoiled brat as a teenager in college and then as a spoiled brat as an adult. That wouldn't be captivating enough to make up an entire film, so the only other option is a backstory that ends up humanizing her to a degree.
It doesn't have to be limited to those things. I could totally imagine a movie where Cruella is just a normal, perhaps bratty child who grows up to be the character we all know and love. A movie where she starts out as a brat but then gets worse when she doesn't get her way. She can grow into the character. Gaston was kind of like that in one long movie.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Why aren't they connecting it to the live action 101 Dalmatians .... ? :? I guess that means that they aren't relating it to 101 Dalmatians at all then ... ?

The mind boggles at all the reboots and different back stories everyone has going on.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Atlantica wrote: The mind boggles at all the reboots and different back stories everyone has going on.
I'm still surprised they dropped that Chernabog/Night on Bald Mountain-inspired film. I wonder how that would have even worked. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Maybe they are releasing Cruella in December to hope to get Production Design and Costume Design nominations from the Academy.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I'm really looking forward to this movie. The concept sounds interesting and Emma Stone is one of the best young actresses in hollywood.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I think this movie could be good. But i wish it was rated R. I think if any Disney movie should get that Ratting it's one about Cruella De Vill.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan97 wrote:I think this movie could be good. But i wish it was rated R. I think if any Disney movie should get that Ratting it's one about Cruella De Vill.
Honestly, if this film was being made by any other studio, it probably would be rated R.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Discussing Film wrote:Costume Designer Jenny Beavan (‘Mad Max: Fury Road’, ‘Christopher Robin’) has joined the crew for Disney’s ‘Cruella’.
Source: https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 3797911552
Discussing Film wrote:Cinematographer Nicolas Karakatsanis (‘I, Tonya’, ‘Triple 9’) has joined the crew for Disney’s live-action ‘Cruella’ film.
Source: https://.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1142806430711525378
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I have some questions about this movie.

When will it start filming ?

Is it true Nicolas Cage might have role ?

Has the baroness been officially cast yet ?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I still think Disney should take the risk and make this an R rated movie.

It would work better then i think

but they would never do it.

I just think this movie should be simlar to the Joker movie tha Warner Brothers s making or American Pyscho with Chrstrian Bale.

The Cruella movie i would make would be simlar in tone to Scarface or the wolf of wall street.

Where the lead gets crupted by money and power and loses all morailty.

Taxi Driver is about that but withou the money anfd power.

But Disney wouldn't risk alienating families. So they sadly wouldn't take that risk.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

When will this movie actually start filming ?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Maybe this movie will be Disney's equivalent of the Joker movie tag Warner Brothers is releasing this fall.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

So, is he playing Roger or Horace? :?
Paul Walter Hauser (“I, Tonya,” “BlackKkKlansman”) is in talks to join “Cruella,” the live-action Cruella de Vil movie starring Emma Stone, an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap. Hauser, who is up for the role of Roger, has booked the lead and title role for Warner Bros. “Richard Jewell,” based on the story of a security guard who was considered a suspect in the bombing that took place Atlanta’s Centennial Park during the 1996 Summer Olympics. According to an insider with knowledge of both projects, “Cruella” is eyeing a September start date that would enable Hauser to shoot both films back to back.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/paul-walter-emm ... y-cruella/
Paul Walter Hauser is heading for Disney's Cruella. The movie will seem Hauser reteam with I, Tonya director Craig Gillespie, who is directing the live-action take on the 1961 animated classic 101 Dalmatians. Hauser will be playing a character named Horace. The most recent script comes from Tony McNamara. Andrew Gunn is producing Cruella with Marc Platt. Kristin Burr is also producing.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... la-1227660
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's curious that there are conflicting reports. Skyler Shuler‏ also says he's playing Horace, and I think it makes more sense given that he looks that part more:
For those asking, Hauser will play Horace, who becomes one of Cruella’s henchmen. Jasper is expected to be played by a black actor.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 1267654656
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I still insiste this should be an r rated movie.

And a really dark character sudy of a deeply disturbed person rather than some kind of Comdey adevture where Cruella is the hero.

My idea would so much more intersting !

i would be acompletly a kimd of movie Disney never made before.

Why can't they just make the movie this way !
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Upcoming Live-Action Remakes/Reimaginings

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I still insiste the Cruella mivie should be an r rated movie and be a really dark disturbing character study of a deeply pyschotic mind rather than some kind of Family Comdey where Cruella is the hero.

That would think this shoukd make.

That how i would handle the conpect ofa Cruella movie.

Maybe this way they will even get some awards buzz !