The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Matt »

I wonder if they will have new bonus features for Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians. Seems to me they’re just going to be re-releases of the Diamond Edition just to finish up the Signature Edition’s before Disney+ comes out. I most likely won’t be getting them if nothing worth wild is added.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

I just don't get something. Why are Marvel and Pixar debuting huge waves of their movies in 4K at a time, but Disney Animation isn't? I mean, how long do I have to wait to get Tangled, Zootopia and Moana in 4K?
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Im a little confused here... are they releasing SB and 101D at the same time??

And I wouldnt mind gettig a visual commentary for 101, like the one w Cinderella...

SB... not sure what more special features they could add at this point...
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster & JeanGreyForever wrote:Thank you JeanGreyForever and Escapay.

Thanks for compiling all that information!
You're welcome.

Also, to correct a minor errata: Movies Anywhere has since fixed both Cinderella pages. The original page for its 2012 Diamond Edition reinstated "Tangled Ever After" and removed the trivia piece, while the new page for the Signature Collection has now added the feature-length "In Walt's Words" documentary.
JeanGreyForever wrote:That's so neat! I didn't realize he was a user from this site.
By my count, he was the fourteenth UD member that I have met in real life. (My siblings were the first two, haha.)
Hardbackyoyo wrote:I just don't get something. Why are Marvel and Pixar debuting huge waves of their movies in 4K at a time, but Disney Animation isn't? I mean, how long do I have to wait to get Tangled, Zootopia and Moana in 4K?
Both Marvel and Pixar have less films to release than the animated canon, so that's probably one reason. Likewise, I'm sure among general consumers, there's a greater demand for something like Guardians of the Galaxy in 4K than, say, Oliver & Company.
Marce82 wrote:SB... not sure what more special features they could add at this point...
The realist in me knows that in terms of newly-produced material, we'll probably get a Disney-Channel-kid trivia piece and a "Stories from Walt's Office" piece. But given that Cinderella didn't have a "Stories from Walt's Office" chapter, I'm worried they may have dropped that series after only 3 entries: Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan, and The Little Mermaid.

If we get an "In Walt's Words," I suspect it may be more akin to the "Inside Walt's Story Meetings" approach used on Bambi, Cinderella, and Lady and the Tramp, since the previous "In Walt's Words" featurettes from the Signature Collection for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Bambi (retitled "Studio Stories"), and Lady and the Tramp (retitled "Walt & His Dogs") rely on his July 1956 interviews with Pete Martin, which obviously predates the 1959 release of Sleeping Beauty.

Of course, there may yet be an interview somewhere within the Disney archives that could comprise "In Walt's Words," perhaps in the vein of Peter Pan's dramatic reciting of the "Brief" magazine article. The only contemporaneous source I could find of Walt Disney talking Sleeping Beauty beyond his "6 years and 6 million dollars" soundbite from "The Peter Tchaikovsky Story" is this short, non-cited quote about music in the December 1959 issue of "Wisdom" magazine:
  • Music has always had a prominent part in all our products, from the early cartoon days. So much so, in fact, that I cannot think of the pictorial story without thinking about the complementary music which will fulfill it. Often the musical theme comes first, suggesting a way of treatment. This was the case with the Tchaikovsky music for Sleeping Beauty which finally formulated our presentation of the classic. I have had no formal musical training. But by long experience and by strong personal learning, the selection of musical themes, original or adapted, we were guided to wide audience acceptance. Credit for the memorable songs and scores must of course go to the brilliant composers and musicians who have been associated with me through the years.
But anyways, if I could dream about any *new* supplements for Sleeping Beauty, they would include the following:

⦁ A biographical documentary about Mary Costa while she's still around. She's represented well on the 1997/2008 supplements, but now that she's retired from public appearances and no longer answers fan mail, a feature-length retrospective on her life and career (including her opera work beyond Disney) would be most welcome.

⦁ A featurette or visual essay examining the film's critical reception (the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all) and its re-evaluation throughout the years. It's touched upon a bit in the 2008 documentary, but a full examination of contemporaneous reviews of the era, as well as notable reviews over time, would be great.

⦁ A history about Disney's experiments in widescreen in the 1950s and 1960s (Miracle-Screen, CinemaScope, Technirama, Panavision), as well as the studio's "house ratio" of 1.75:1 for the majority of their features from 1953 onward. Basically a chance to look at how the era of widescreen influenced Disney filmmaking, notably Sleeping Beauty.

And if we had to reach into the archives for material that already exists:

⦁ The full 50-minute episode of "Walt Disney Presents: An Adventure in Art," from which the short "4 Artists Paint 1 Tree" originates.

⦁ The "People & Places" short Ama Girls which was shown with 35mm screenings of the film.

Eyvind Earle: My Life, an independent documentary from 1997 written and narrated by Earle himself.

⦁ Trailers/TV spots from the film's theatrical re-releases in 1970, 1979 (both the standalone trailer & double-bill trailer with The Black Hole), and 1986, TV trailers for its 1987 Disney Channel debut, as well as any surviving trailers created but never used for the aborted spring 1993 US theatrical release (a 30-second trailer was on the 1992 Beauty and the Beast VHS). And also throw in trailers for the 1986, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2014, & 2019 home media releases.

⦁ A reissue of the Legacy Collection soundtrack CD with the FULL score of the film, and not the 63-minute collection of cues from the 1997 re-issue CD. We're still missing out on 12 minutes of score, along with several more deleted songs: the original 1952 demo for the "Sleeping Beauty" title song, "Sunbeams In Your Pocket (Bestowal of Gifts)," "Berries to Pick," "Where in the World," "Sing a Smiling Song," and "Mirage (Follow Your Heart)." Then find storyboards for those and sync them up for inclusion on the Blu-Ray as additional deleted song presentations, along with the boards for an extended battle scene between Prince Phillip and the Dragon.

Finally, just to curate everything together, just reinstate all the bonus features that didn't make it onto the 2014 Blu-Ray release:
  • 1997 Deluxe CAV Widescreen Edition LaserDisc:
    ⦁ Once Upon A Dream: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (16:22) - also on 2003 DVD
    ⦁ The Design (3:22) - also on 2003 DVD
    ⦁ Creating the Backgrounds (1:07) - also on 2003 DVD
    ⦁ The Music of Sleeping Beauty (2:46) - also on 2003 DVD
    ⦁ The Restoration of Sleeping Beauty (2:57) - also on 2003 DVD
    ⦁ Widesceen To Pan-And-Scan Comparison (3:50) - also on 2003 DVD
    ⦁ 1956 "Mickey Mouse Club" Appearance by Helene Stanley (3:47)
    ⦁ 1958 Theatrical Short: Grand Canyon (28:53) - also on 2003 DVD & 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ 1958 Theatrical Short: 4 Artists Paint 1 Tree (16:06) - also on 2003 DVD & 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ 1959 Theatrical Short: The Peter Tchaikovsky Story (30:22)
    ⦁ Original Teaser Trailer - 1959 (1:43) - also on 2003 DVD & 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Original Theatrical Trailer - 1959 (3:12) - also on 2003 DVD & 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Re-Release Trailer - 1995 (1:26) - also on 2003 DVD & 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Live-Action Reference, 1954: Briar Rose Dance Reference (0:47) - also on 2003 DVD & 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Live-Action Reference, 1956: Prince Phillip and the Dragon Reference (1:02) - also on 2003 DVD & 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Live-Action Reference, 1956: The Queen and a Good Fairy (0:17) - also on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Concept Art (145 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, expanded on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Character Design: Briar Rose/Princess Aurora (57 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, shortened on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Character Design: Maleficent And Her Minions (58 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, shortened on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Character Design: Flora, Fauna And Merryweather (32 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, expanded on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Character Design: The Royal Households (32 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, split up and shortened on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Character Design: Miscellaneous Characters (41 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, split up and shortened on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Storyboards: Sequence 15 "The Fairies Put The Castle To Sleep" (37 stills)
    ⦁ Storyboards: Sequence 17 "The Capture Of The Prince" (39 stills)
    ⦁ Miscellaneous Storyboards (43 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, expanded on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Layouts and Backgrounds (87 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, shortened on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ The Storybook (17 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, expanded on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Live Action Reference Photographs (23 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, expanded on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Posters (15 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, expanded on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Publicity (21 stills) - also on 2003 DVD, expanded on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray

2003 Special Edition DVD:
    ⦁ The 1951 Outline (22:41)
    ⦁ Storyboard-to-Film Comparison: Introduction with Andreas Deja (0:48) - also on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Storyboard-to-Film Comparison: Sequence 15 - Fairies Put the Castle to Sleep (1:02) - also on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Storyboard-to-Film Comparison: Sequence 17 - The Capture of the Prince (1:26) - also on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Music Video: "Once Upon Another Dream" - No Secrets (3:39)
    ⦁ The History of the Story (10 stills)
    ⦁ Disneyland Walkthrough (14 stills)
    ⦁ Behind the Scenes (27 stills) - expanded on 2008 DVD/Blu-Ray
    ⦁ Merchandise (18 stills)
    ⦁ Eyvind Earle (3 stills)
    ⦁ Disneyland Paris - Castle (7 stills)
    ⦁ Disneyland Paris - Castle Windows (7 stills)
    ⦁ Disneyland Paris - Castle Tapestries (9 stills)

2008 Platinum Edition DVD/Blu-Ray:
    ⦁ Sequence 8 (5:30)
    ⦁ Alternate Opening: "Holiday" (3:26)
    ⦁ Deleted Song: "It Happens I Have A Picture" Version 1 (3:42)
    ⦁ Deleted Song: "It Happens I Have A Picture" Version 2 - 1952 (2:54)
    ⦁ Deleted Song: "Riddle-Diddle" (2:45)
    ⦁ Deleted Song: "Go To Sleep" (2:46)
    ⦁ The History of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough (9:52)
    ⦁ Original Disneyland Castle Walkthrough (7:38)
    ⦁ Original Disneyland Castle Walkthrough: Guided Tour (7:38)
    ⦁ "Walt Disney Presents": The Peter Tchaikovsky Story, Version 1 - Stereo Sound & Film Formats (49:22)
    ⦁ "Walt Disney Presents": The Peter Tchaikovsky Story, Version 2 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (49:22)
    ⦁ Music Video: "Once Upon a Dream" - Emily Osment (3:57)
    ⦁ Visual Development (159 stills, 14 more than 1997 gallery)
    ⦁ Character Design: Prince Phillip (11 stills, split from "The Royal Households" 1997 gallery)
    ⦁ Character Design: The Three Good Fairies (49 stills, 17 more than 1997 gallery)
    ⦁ Storyboard Art (80 stills, 37 more than 1997 gallery)
    ⦁ Live Action Reference (70 stills, 47 more than 1997 gallery)
    ⦁ Sleeping Beauty Storybook (25 stills, 8 more than 1997 gallery)
    ⦁ Production Photos (51 stills, 24 more than 2003 gallery)
    ⦁ Publicity (34 stills, 13 more than 1997 gallery)
    ⦁ Castle Walk-Thru Theme Park Booklet (6 stills)
:milkbuds:

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, all of that I want for the ultimate Sleeping Beauty release Escapay!!! Your deleted songs with storyboards and the extended storyboard of the dragon fight features are inspired and I want them so much!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

hey Albert/Escapay

You seem to be the expert at this stuff: the new Cinderella release was supposed to have a digital only feature called 'the art of cinderella', which was supposed to be art galleries. I recently bought it, and am using Moviesanywhere but cant seem to find that feature. Any idea how I can find it?
Or which website to use to access it?

Thanks!!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

It is an iTunes exclusive. If you sync your Movies Anywhere account with your iTunes account, then the digital edition of the film will also be available on iTunes, where you can use iTunes Extras to access the galleries. There is one caveat: if you access the full-frame versions of the stills, you'll have the left-and-right directional arrows superimposed over the images and the "Back" button in the top corner. If you choose to view the stills in "Slideshow" format, nothing is superimposed over them because they are smaller on the screen with a lot of dead space around it. So screencapping would involve either having the arrows/back over the image or having to crop out all the dead space on each screencap. I took a quick gander between the Concept Art gallery on iTunes and the Mary Blair Art gallery on the Platinum, there is some overlap of imagery but the iTunes offers a decent amount of images not on the DVD. If I have time in the future, I'll try to take a more thorough look through the LD galleries, the DVD galleries, and the iTunes galleries but given that the LD gallery has over 2000 stills, I probably won't get around to that one for awhile.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Albert,

Thank you so much!!! The galleries is half the reason I bought this. I really appreciate your help!!!

M.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Well, the good news is that it worked... Thanks Albert!

The bad news is that the galleries are a joke... very small. And I have seen these pieces before, almost all of them.

They have a folder of 'movie stills'.... REALLY?? couldnt I just press pause while watchin the movie???
Sigh...

Well, no regrets. The visual commentary feature is great
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Are the Cinderella galleries for both the Diamond and Signature of Cinderella available only on iTunes (with Movies Anywhere)?
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Apparently... they are def not available on moviesanywhere...

According to Escapay, they are an itunes exclusive
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok, thanks.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The Aladdin Target exclusive definitely has the best looking cover art. :D :D :D
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

My God :-o... That is one superb cover. I think I just decided to switch to 4K.

Brb, buying all other Signature editions on eBay...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I remember being impressed with The Little Mermaid's digipack and then it was full of characters mugshots. I feel like this will be the same.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The Little Mermaid's Target edition was superb!
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

The Aladdin bonus features are up on the official website.

Special Features
- Two Ways To Watch Including Sing-Along Edition
- Genie Outtakes
- Aladdin On Aladdin
- Exclusive Included With Digital Code – Drawing Genie
- Let’s Not Be Too Hasty: The Voices Of Aladdin
- Classic Bonus
- And More!

https://movies.disney.com/aladdin

Press Release:

BURBANK, Calif. (July 25, 2019)— Embark on a magic carpet ride with the entire family when Disney’s original animated classic “Aladdin” soars into the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection, granting nonstop laughs, action-packed adventure and Academy Award®–winning music (1992: Best Music, Original Song, “A Whole New World,” Original Score) for the first time in 4KUltra HD™.The Signature Collection Edition of “Aladdin” takes flight two weeks early in 4K Ultra HD™, Digital in HD and Movies Anywhere Aug. 27 and lands on 4K Ultra HD™and Blu-ray™Sept. 10— with a brand-new sing-along version; all-new bonus features, including original cast recordings; and classic bonus material. The arrival coincides with the in-home release of 2019’s live-action film adaptation “Aladdin,”granting fans everywhere the opportunity to own both magical movies.

The Signature Collection Edition invites every member of the family to join Genie, Aladdin and Jasmine to belt out the unforgettable songs from “Aladdin” — such as “A Whole New World,” “Friend Like Me” and “Prince Ali” — through a new sing-along version. Other fresh features include a walk down memory lane with Scott Weinger (speaking voice of Aladdin) as he reflects on his personal journey portraying the diamond in the rough and meeting with the original cast and filmmakers, and one jump into the recording booth during the original recording sessions. Digital exclusive features legendary animator Eric Goldberg reminiscing about drawing Genie. Also included are hours of classic bonus gems, from hilarious outtakes with the legendary Robin Williams (voice of Genie) to an in-depth discussion with directors John Musker and Ron Clements.

Disney’s tale of the lovable “street rat,” Aladdin, self determined Princess Jasmine and the all-powerful Genie has remained a family favorite for over a quarter of a century. It all began with the animated classic “Aladdin,” the highest-grossing film of 1992 and a two-time Academy Award®–winner, and continued with the hit Broadway musical “Aladdin” and 2019’s live-action film adaptation “Aladdin,” directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Will Smith as Genie, Mena Massoud as Aladdin and Naomi Scott as Jasmine.

Families can decide how, when and where they wish to enjoy “Aladdin” in their households. The film arrives two weeks early on Digital 4K Ultra HD and HD with an exclusive extra— and a Digital bundle doubles the fun with both the Walt Disney Signature Collection Edition and this year’s thrilling, live-action adventure “Aladdin.” A physical copy of the film will be released as a 4K Ultra HD™(4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™, and Digital Code) and a Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray™and Digital Code).

“Aladdin” is the 10th title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. The film takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi,” “The Lion King,” “Lady and the Tramp,” “Peter Pan,” “The Little Mermaid” and “Cinderella.”

BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY & DIGITAL: *

NEW BONUS

· Sing Along With the Movie– Sing along to your favorite tunes as you watch the film. With magical on-screen lyrics.

· Aladdin on Aladdin– Join the speaking voice of Aladdin, Scott Weinger (“Fuller House”), as he reflects on almost 30 years of being Aladdin.

· “Let’s Not Be Too Hasty”:The Voices of “Aladdin”– Take your seat in the recording booth and watch as the voice actors of “Aladdin” work their microphone magic.

· Alternate Endings– Enter the realm of “what if” and see just how differently the movie could have ended.

DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE

· Drawing Genie– Join prolific animator Eric Goldberg as he draws and reminices about the Genie.

CLASSIC BONUS– Revisit over 40 exciting bonus features from previous releases including:

· The Genie Outtakes

· “Aladdin”: Creating Broadway Magic

· Unboxing “Aladdin”

*Bonus features may vary by retailer
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I also remembered that they put Scuttle on the digipack's spine, so I'm expecting Razoul this time.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

farerb wrote:I also remembered that they put Scuttle on the digipack's spine, so I'm expecting Razoul this time.
It's Abu, actually.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

wowzers! whoever artist did that cover I hope they keep around, cuz he/she's gooood! :o :up: