The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

...btw, have we heard any casting news for Sebastian yet?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

It would be great if they brought back that guy who played him in the Broadway show.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:What's up with so many of these casting choices? They seem so random and pulled-out-of-a-hat-ish.
I wouldn't say that Asher Angel is random. He is on Disney's Andi Mack and was in Shazam with Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi).
He looks like he's fourteen, it's just weird, especially since Disney insisted with the other princes /princesses to be a bit older than they were in the original films. He looks more like a possible Taran than an Eric.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Don’t even put that idea out in the universe, thedisneyspirit. :huh: I would like the Prydain movies to have a good cast, not one infested with Disney Channel tweens…. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

thedisneyspirit wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote: I wouldn't say that Asher Angel is random. He is on Disney's Andi Mack and was in Shazam with Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi).
He looks like he's fourteen, it's just weird, especially since Disney insisted with the other princes /princesses to be a bit older than they were in the original films. He looks more like a possible Taran than an Eric.
As you pointed out, they seem to be really pandering for the tween Disney Channel audience here based on Asher Angel and Harry Styles as the main actors they are considering for Eric. At least if this film had been made 15 years ago, Lindsay Lohan would have had the talent and looks to carry out the role unlike these two less than inspired choices.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Don’t even put that idea out in the universe, thedisneyspirit. :huh: I would like the Prydain movies to have a good cast, not one infested with Disney Channel tweens…. :P
Mr. Moseby as the Horned King.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:It would be great if they brought back that guy who played him in the Broadway show.
Would love Tituss Burgess back as Sebastian!

Loved Asher Angel in Shazam! but I think he's a bit too young for Eric.
Disney's Divinity

Speaking of Tituss Burgess, he should be giving a performance on The View this Friday. (If you can suffer fast forwarding through John McCain's Daughter in order to see him. :wink: )
thedisneyspirit wrote:
Mr. Moseby as the Horned King.
:lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

A young Emma Stone would have been a really good Ariel.
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

Disney Duster wrote:A young Emma Stone would have been a really good Ariel.
Current Emma Stone would still be perfect: great energetic actress, fantastic singer, looks good with red hair, big expressive eyes, etc.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, she is still really great in all of those aspects, but I want my Ariel looking like her teenage self!
Disney's Divinity

MrXemnas1992 wrote: Current Emma Stone would still be perfect: great energetic actress, fantastic singer, looks good with red hair, big expressive eyes, etc.
I doubt Emma Stone could fully pull off the naiveté of Ariel, personally. I like the idea of her as the cynical Megara better. Cruella is going to be so weird.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

MrXemnas1992 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:A young Emma Stone would have been a really good Ariel.
Current Emma Stone would still be perfect: great energetic actress, fantastic singer, looks good with red hair, big expressive eyes, etc.
If this film had come out in the early 2010s, I could see Emma Stone playing a teenager like she did in Easy A and The Amazing Spider-Man. Even so, she doesn't look that much older so I don't think it would be completely unbelievable for her to play the role especially since she was nearly in Little Women this year as well before she backed out and was replaced with Emma Watson.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, hm, ok. I didn't know Little Women was about teenagers. I still think Emma Stone looks too old to be Ariel now, but maybe not.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, hm, ok. I didn't know Little Women was about teenagers. I still think Emma Stone looks too old to be Ariel now, but maybe not.
Yes, the sisters in Little Women are all teens or younger. I agree that Emma Stone doesn't resemble a teenager anymore but half of the TV shows about high school today feature actors and actresses in their late 20s who don't even resemble teens but they still get the roles. Since Emma Stone has portrayed so many teenage characters in this past decade alone, I'd be more accepting of her as Ariel. Especially since Emma Watson didn't really resemble a teenager to me in BATB and she's only one year younger than Emma Stone and I'd much rather have Emma Stone over Emma Watson lol.

And at least she doesn't look as old and haggard as Lindsay Lohan who's barely older than her but looks in her 40s. It still makes me laugh that she kept demanding Rob Marshall for the part.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, wow, I didn't know Lindsay Lohan did that!!! That's freaking hilarious!

I thought they were going with a Belle in her 20's in the movie. I mean in Cinderella I thought Ella was supposed to be a little older than 18 and so Belle was a little older than 19.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I always get a hoot from anything Lindsay Lohan does anymore. rotfl

I didn't bother reading the section for the live-action BATB in the updated Making of book so it's possible they did age her up. I can see Emma Watson making that change and it would make the spinster comment that Gaston makes even more effective.

You're more familiar with the background and making of the live-action Cinderella so do you happen to know what her age was in that film? She's 18 in the animated film so I always assumed she would be the same age especially since Lily James can pass off as that age.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I suppose Lily James could pass for 18. The Making Of book is somewhere in my house that I do not know, so I can't get it now to check, but I know it brought up the fact that they needed to make Ella and Kit ages that were not too old to experience first love. I forget if it said they were in their 20's or not. I thought it was just saying they had to pick actors who looked early 20's? I don't remember exactly.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:Spent the predawn morning in FaceTime w Menken on new Mermaid tune.
Source: https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1 ... 2672460800
Every writing session feels like a master class, Miranda told Billboard at WarnerMedia’s Television Critics Association party Wednesday night (July 24), where he was promoting his new HBO miniseries, His Dark Materials. In fact, he and Menken were Skyping right before the party. Miranda was positively giddy about writing with Menken, though expressed his concern that no one could match the genius of Menken’s former writing partner, lyricist Howard Ashman, who died in 1991. “I will definitely fall short because no one can write like that,” Miranda said modestly, before reciting the lyric “What’s a fire and why does it — what’s the word? — burn?” from Little Mermaid’s “Part of Your World,” and praising Menken for his brilliant simplicity.
Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... -interview
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I suppose Lily James could pass for 18. The Making Of book is somewhere in my house that I do not know, so I can't get it now to check, but I know it brought up the fact that they needed to make Ella and Kit ages that were not too old to experience first love. I forget if it said they were in their 20's or not. I thought it was just saying they had to pick actors who looked early 20's? I don't remember exactly.
That's all right if the book is not on you. Likely they don't mention exact ages anyway. Going by your statement, probably they were in their late teens or early 20's then.
ImageImage