The Lion King (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: The Lion King (Live-Action)

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The B-roll. They all have fantastic performances and it's such a shame they're being wasted on lifeless expressions. The kids are adorable and I actually like John Oliver more than Rowan Atkinson as Zazu. Some of the new lines made me laugh and it's so cool to see the actors block the scenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVF2bzZ4Ap0
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New poster and featurette.

By the way, Elton John forgot to mention "Be Prepared" again in this set of interviews for the press when he was listing the five songs from the original that would be in the remake. He named "The Morning Report" in its place. This might confirm "Be Prepared" was always going to be in the movie, and it's just that he tends to forget about that particular title in interviews.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm confused...they were blocking scenes, but they didn't wear dots on their faces? So it is just straight-up CGI animation? And Seth Rogen's singing will be autotuned...?!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:If any of these two songs is nominated for the Oscar, I hope it's Elton John's one, though I think the new song he wrote for the movie Rocketman probably has more chances of being nominated than this one.
Me too. Aside from the African chants at the beginning, "Spirit" is a boring song with an annoying chorus and subpar vocals. I like "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" too but I think "Never Too Late" is better. I agree that as a song from a critically-acclaimed film it has a higher chance of getting nominated over the one in The Lion King, especially since Disney is going to be pushing Beyonce's song during awards season and pretty much ignore Elton's song.
D82 wrote:New poster and featurette.
I like the poster. I believe that one and this one were the best posters made for the film.
blackcauldron85 wrote:So it is just straight-up CGI animation?
Yes, it's 100% key-frame animation with no motion capture mixed in. The actors here were acting out the parts on a stage as reference for the animators to block out the action and create the pre-vis.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

After listening to the soundtrack and being hugely disappointed I won’t be going to see this film. I’m really done with these subpar live-action “remakes”.....
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I booked my tickets for next Saturday. :) I'm super excited
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

I saw a short trailer of this movie on Disney Channel.

Gosh, the animals look so dead, and even in the trailer they copy-paste plot points that was in the original.

Was this movie made to prove that live action (or live action styled graphics) is better than stylized animation? I still don't get it...

I am curious what other people's opinions are on the actual movie, so be honest and go all out, I'd love to know.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Im having my doubts about it too. The original movie is in my top ten of Disney animation and I love animals and gorgeous scenery/landscapes in films but there's something very muted looking about the few scenes of this film I have seen so far.(Ive avoided the clips posted here, only seen the ads Ive seen on tv.)

And then there are scenes and dialogue that are exact copies of the film, but with realistic(and un-expressive) CGI in in place of the hand-drawn, its just, I dunno, feels different than watching actors portraying an animated character in live action like in Aladdin.

also there seems to be very little being shown of the hyenas in promos and the ads, you'd think they would show them more since they were one of those characters that appealed so much to kids in the original like Timon and Pumbaa. Maybe they're trying to avoid the negative press the original got about the hyenas being racist caricatures of disenfranchised minorities? Which would have been solved by not having ALL(yep, every single one of them is EVIL, nice species-ism there) the hyenas portrayed as evil dumb brutes, but nope guess that's one of the things that just had to be left intact from the original. :roll:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I like "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" too but I think "Never Too Late" is better. I agree that as a song from a critically-acclaimed film it has a higher chance of getting nominated over the one in The Lion King, especially since Disney is going to be pushing Beyonce's song during awards season and pretty much ignore Elton's song.
I like both songs, but I also think "Never Too Late" is better. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Apart from the reasons you mentioned, I believe Academy members will probably want to award "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" over "Never Too Late" because both the song and the movie are more personal to Elton John.

Regarding the reviews, I wonder if it's true that there's some remake fatigue among the critics. All the 2019 live-action remakes so far (Dumbo, Aladdin and now The Lion King) have gotten a rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes, and the Maleficent sequel is not likely to stop this trend.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

They totally should've just straight up done this with humans. It'd be much more watchable.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Kyle wrote:They totally should've just straight up done this with humans. It'd be much more watchable.
Thrown in the Broadway costumes and songs and I'd be on line for a midnight release
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

the Broadway costumes wouldn't work, but something tribal would.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Kyle wrote:They totally should've just straight up done this with humans. It'd be much more watchable.
It would have been a more unique premise. They wouldn't have to alter the plot of the story and at the same time, it wouldn't be considered a shot-for-shot remake.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The Mufasa death scene has been leaked and.... :facepalm:

https://twitter.com/twilightsthorn/stat ... 8341458945
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

disneyprincess11 wrote:The Mufasa death scene has been leaked and.... :facepalm:

https://twitter.com/twilightsthorn/stat ... 8341458945
*Sigh* Yep definitely passing up on this one.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Did he actually punch him? :lol: :lol: :lol: And the way he delivers the line....omg, so bad. In the original, it was actually way more sinister the way he almost whispered it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe I'll feel different when I see the scene in the movie.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wonder if the critic and audience ratings are going to be opposite again, like with Aladdin? I have a feeling all the re-makes from this point forward will be tanked by the critics just 'cause. :lol: They have an ax to grind.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

In my opinion, that's when you know a movie's good, when the critics are all against it. :lol: :lol: :lol: I never take their opinions into consideration, because at the end of the day, I really don't give a damn what others think of a movie. If I like it, it's enough :)
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:In my opinion, that's when you know a movie's good, when the critics are all against it. :lol: :lol: :lol: I never take their opinions into consideration, because at the end of the day, I really don't give a damn what others think of a movie. If I like it, it's enough :)
You must've loved the second transformers movie then.