The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

1. Sleeping Beauty
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Cinderella
5. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Bambi and Alice in Wonderland could easily fit there as well.

Out of digital animation
1. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
2. Tarzan
3. Pocahontas
4. Anastasia
5. Aladdin

Out of CGI, nothing tops Toy Story 4 so far.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

For me, it's

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Sleeping Beauty
3. The Little Mermaid
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. Cinderella
6. The Lion King
7. Fantasia
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Cinderella has the most beautiful designs of anything ever to me...
Hmmm...

1. Sleeping Beauty
2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
5. Bambi
6. Cinderella

Can't beat Disney's earliest work it seems!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

JeanGreyForever wrote:That's my favorite Mondo piece for Disney.
I've always loved their Beauty and the Beast poster, and keep hoping it'll end up on a steelbook one day. Unfortunately, it's a markedly different style than their recent Disney steelbooks, so I doubt it'll happen.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Escapay wrote:
I've always loved their Beauty and the Beast poster, and keep hoping it'll end up on a steelbook one day. Unfortunately, it's a markedly different style than their recent Disney steelbooks, so I doubt it'll happen.

Albert
That's Gorgeous.

Moderator's Note: Fixed Quote tags
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

That Mondo Beauty and the Beast poster is beautiful. To be honest, all the steelbooks they released so far have had different styles, so it's very possible this will be used for one. :)
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

What a stupid rush of releases.. I guess this year will mark the end of the Disney Vault after being such a marketing strategy for 40 years.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Clindor wrote:What a stupid rush of releases.. I guess this year will mark the end of the Disney Vault after being such a marketing strategy for 40 years.
I think they want to release everything before the streaming service starts since everything will be available there anyway. And yes that means no more Disney Vault, which tbh became redundant a long time ago.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote:no more Disney Vault, which tbh became redundant
Same here but only because with the ‘Signature Collection’ it didn’t offer that much of a upgrade compared to the previous collections (Platinum & Diamond). Not a lot of new bonus features (quite a few to be fair) and the resolution and restoration on these movies remained the same.

They should have started to release their movies in 4K since the launch of the ‘Signature Collection’. Especially knowing that their streaming service platform ‘Disney +’ will be hosting 4K content, I see no marketing reason that could have prevented them from doing so.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Clindor wrote:
farerb wrote:no more Disney Vault, which tbh became redundant
Same here but only because with the ‘Signature Collection’ it didn’t offer that much of a upgrade compared to the previous collections (Platinum & Diamond). Not a lot of new bonus features (quite a few to be fair) and the resolution and restoration on these movies remained the same.

They should have started to release their movies in 4K since the launch of the ‘Signature Collection’. Especially knowing that their streaming service platform ‘Disney +’ will be hosting 4K content, I see no marketing reason that could have prevented them from doing so.
Well, 4K wasn't really that common when the Signature Collection started, Disney started releasing 4K releases in the second half of 2017 and new releases only. The first rerelease (for animation) was The Incredibles in June 2018, by that point Disney already rereleased 7 titles in the collection, which is half of the collection. Also we still don't know if Disney is really going to release pre Renaissance films on 4K. They had a chance with Dumbo, Mary Poppins and Cinderella and none of them was released on 4K. I also heard there are no plans to release Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians on 4K, so I guess Disney don't want to spend time and money on restoring them again.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

farerb wrote:
Clindor wrote:What a stupid rush of releases.. I guess this year will mark the end of the Disney Vault after being such a marketing strategy for 40 years.
I think they want to release everything before the streaming service starts since everything will be available there anyway. And yes that means no more Disney Vault, which tbh became redundant a long time ago.
If only they would release everything. I am still waiting for Make Mine Music, Melody Time and The Black Cauldron. :(
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote: Well, 4K wasn't really that common when the Signature Collection started, Disney started releasing 4K releases in the second half of 2017 and new releases only. The first rerelease (for animation) was The Incredibles in June 2018
That is actually my point indeed! They should have started way before! Most of the "Big" Studios of Hollywood started releasing 4K Blu-rays of their movies (movies that belong to nostalgia as well as new releases) in 2016! ...that is to say the exact same year when Disney launched its "Signature Collection"... If they didn't release them back at this point, it's only because of a marketing strategy they chose to follow, which, to my opinion, was not the best way to treat eager fans.
farerb wrote:Also we still don't know if Disney is really going to release pre Renaissance films on 4K. They had a chance with Dumbo, Mary Poppins and Cinderella and none of them was released on 4K. I also heard there are no plans to release Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians on 4K
Yes, this is what is happening and that is really a shame indeed. And with the launch of "Disney+" next November, it is likely that no 4K release on physical support is to be expected regarding old Disney movies with a few exceptions maybe when it comes to Renaissance movies and other big hits.
farerb wrote:so I guess Disney don't want to spend time and money on restoring them again.
They won't transfer everything in 4K, that's for sure. But the classics from the Disney Vault are already restored in 4K, so it is such a missed opportunity.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yeah, they could have but if they don't plan to release pre Renaissance films then the only films they pointlessly released (and I pointlessly bought) are Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King, also new releases at the time like Zootopia and Moana.

I actually never found a source that confirms that Disney restored the films on 4K. I heard that they only scanned then in 4K, but restored them in 2K. The new restoration for the 4K of The Little Mermaid even suggests that since The Little Mermaid was the last film to go through a restoration process back in 2013 (so if that one wasn't in 4K, why would Cinderella be in 2005?). In addition there is the HDR that needs to be applied, so that's another thing.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Jules wrote:If only they would release everything. I am still waiting for Make Mine Music, Melody Time
Well, I remember back in 2018 there were some rumors about DMC planning to release a 2-Movie Collection of "A Goofy Movie"/its sequel, and another one for "Make Mine Music/Melody Time".. It turned out to be true for "A Goofy Movie" although both films were released on separate items. I guess we'll just have to be patient, and wait and see if "Make Mine Music" and "Melody Time" are following the same path :) Maybe later this year?
Jules wrote:and The Black Cauldron. :(
Disney is planning to make a live-action remake of this one. Unless if they cancel the project, I'm not too worry for this one to be eventually released on Blu-ray at some point in the next years, at least as a DMC Exclusive.
gamer51

Post by gamer51 »

Clindor wrote:
Jules wrote:If only they would release everything. I am still waiting for Make Mine Music, Melody Time
Well, I remember back in 2018 there were some rumors about DMC planning to release a 2-Movie Collection of "A Goofy Movie"/its sequel, and another one for "Make Mine Music/Melody Time".. It turned out to be true for "A Goofy Movie" although both films were released on separate items. I guess we'll just have to be patient, and wait and see if "Make Mine Music" and "Melody Time" are following the same path :) Maybe later this year?
Disney is planning to make a live-action remake of this one. Unless if they cancel the project, I'm not too worry for this one to be eventually released on Blu-ray at some point in the next years, at least as a DMC Exclusive.
Someone may need to verify that this is true today but at least in the past, I saw TBC listed on amazon digital video in HD. So, it would not cost much for them to dump this onto BD.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Clindor wrote:
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was finally released on Blu-Ray through the DMC after Disney realized they were never going to go through with a live-action remake. However, from reports it sounds like they're still going through with Prydain so like you said, we'll probably get a Blu-Ray release then. With the way they treat this film though, I'm curious if it'll even get a general release or be relegated as a DMC exclusive.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Escapay wrote:I've always loved their Beauty and the Beast poster, and keep hoping it'll end up on a steelbook one day. Unfortunately, it's a markedly different style than their recent Disney steelbooks, so I doubt it'll happen.
Omg, that is astoundingly great! First, it has a pose straight from the film, but drawn in full, and drawn well instead of messing up the added halves of their bodies. Next, it's set in a perfect setting. Then, it has the cursed castle dwellers' shadows showing their true forms! Finally, it all looks like a Classics VHS cover! Steeelbook please!

Question: I forget, did the Diamond for Sleeping Beauty have a digital code? If it does, and I finally redeem it, will whatever new bonus features from the Signature be put onto my Movies Anywhere copy? Because I don't think I wanna get this release. Only an awesome digipack or steelbook could tempt me.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Escapay wrote:

Albert
I don't think the different art style is much of an issue because there's already been a few Mondo Disney steelbooks that look different from each other. Besides the Sleeping Beauty one, there's also these Alice in Wonderland and The Jungle Book ones which don't really resemble the typical style being used on Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Toy Story, etc.
https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/alice-in-w ... 32361.html
https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-jungl ... 39518.html
Disney Duster wrote: Omg, that is astoundingly great! First, it has a pose straight from the film, but drawn in full, and drawn well instead of messing up the added halves of their bodies. Next, it's set in a perfect setting. Then, it has the cursed castle dwellers' shadows showing their true forms! Finally, it all looks like a Classics VHS cover! Steeelbook please!
I wish Disney would use this artwork for the covers of their regular releases. If you like this art though you and Escapay might like this custom cover for Beauty and the Beast that somebody created. He created Criterion-inspired covers for all the Disney canon (plus Pixar, the stop-motion films, and the live-action/animation hybrid films) and the Beauty and the Beast cover uses the very same artwork you both admired.
https://twitter.com/mdewater/status/717754010313293825
ImageImage
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:did the Diamond for Sleeping Beauty have a digital code?
Yes.
Disney Duster wrote:If it does, and I finally redeem it, will whatever new bonus features from the Signature be put onto my Movies Anywhere copy?
It's weird, it depends on the title.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, Bambi, and The Lion King were already in the Signature Collection when the new "Movies Anywhere" pages went live in October 2017. Each one included the new Signature bonuses along with the classic Platinum/Diamond bonuses that were lucky enough to go digital.

Movies Anywhere's pages for the other Diamond Editions included a selection of bonus features that varied based on the title: Cinderella's page only included the newly-created Diamond Edition extras, including "Tangled Ever After." Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin repeated all the extras featured on the Diamond Edition disc, so each page was a mix of Platinum and Diamond extras. Aladdin notably included the complete "Diamond in the Rough" documentary, albeit in a hodgepodge order that doesn't replicate the original viewing.

When Lady and the Tramp went Signature in 2018, a new page was made, but the Signature extras were not added to the original Diamond page.

However, when Peter Pan went Signature in 2018, the Diamond page retroactively added the Signature extras to them.

Then, when The Little Mermaid went Signature this year, a new page was made, and again, the Signature extras were not added to the original Diamond page.

Finally, to make it all the more confusing, when Cinderella went Signature, its Diamond page dropped "Tangled Ever After" but added the fluffy Disney Channel featurette, while its Signature page included the two new features (the trivia puff piece and "In Walt's Words") along with, again, the Diamond Edition extras. None of the Cinderella Platinum Edition bonus features ("From Rags to Riches," "From Walt's Table," "A Tribute to Mary Blair," "The Cinderella That Almost Was," etc.) have ever been on a digital platform, be it iTunes, Movies Anywhere, Vudu, etc.

So it's anybody's guess for Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, and One Hundred and One Dalmatians in a couple months.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I wish Disney would use this artwork for the covers of their regular releases. If you like this art though you and Escapay might like this custom cover for Beauty and the Beast that somebody created. He created Criterion-inspired covers for all the Disney canon (plus Pixar, the stop-motion films, and the live-action/animation hybrid films) and the Beauty and the Beast cover uses the very same artwork you both admired.
https://twitter.com/mdewater/status/717754010313293825
That's UD member SWillie!, although he hasn't posted here in awhile. Since he moved to a backstage creative role at Disney, I don't see him at Studios as often as I used to (he was a sketch artist at Animation Gallery for quite some time), but we occasionally keep in touch via Twitter or FB Messenger. I once suggested he make covers for Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons and Music Land, but I know those are deep-cut films that nobody would be interested in Criterion-izing and aren't even on DVD, let alone Blu-Ray. But I'm glad he listened to my suggestion of making covers for The Reluctant Dragon and Victory Through Air Power; he originally intended to only do the hybrids.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you JeanGreyForever and Escapay.