The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Farerb »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I guess with this rush, I was stupid to hope that Cinderella might get a proper restoration. :/ They're clearly just dumping these out as quickly as possible.
farerb wrote:I'm confused. Are they being released at the same time?
I'm gonna get them for digital code and for completion sake, but tbh I have the Platinum Edition of Sleeping Beauty and it is probably the best Blu-ray release Disney has ever done. A must for every fan of the film.
I hate myself for not getting that version when it was out. :( Maybe I might be able to luck up and find one of the old versions of SB anyway like I did with the Pinocchio Platinum after its Signature had just came out.
I think most people were hoping for a new restoration for Cinderella since The Little Mermaid got one.
You might find the Platinum Edition from third party sellers on Amazon or eBay.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

When I think about it, considering how old the movies are, is there any point to having the Walt-era movies in 4K? Don't the Blu-Rays for most of them look and sound the best they can for movies that are 50-70 years old?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Dalmatians still has a decent cover but Sleeping Beauty looks abominable, both the cover art and the logo. I thought it couldn't get worse than the Diamond Edition but just the presentation of the Signature Edition makes this a total skip.
The Diamond Edition cover (both the peasant and the ballgown versions) was beautiful. So was the Platinum Edition. In fact, with the exception of the 1997 VHS cover (the full screen edition), every Sleeping Beauty cover art was exquisite. But this Signature blu-ray cover makes the 1997 VHS look like a masterpiece.
When I was referring to the Diamond Edition, I meant how it only featured a handful of bonus features from the Platinum Edition while adding one or two inconsequential features.That's why I didn't think any new release could get worse but the Signature Line has proven that you can in fact drop the standard.

However, while we're on the topic of covers, I was not really a fan of the Diamond Edition Sleeping Beauty cover. The original one with Aurora as a peasant was quite well done but of course, Disney changed that instantly to her in the pink dress. I despised that one because the dress was based off her redesign. I agree that all the other Sleeping Beauty covers tend to be gorgeous, and in fact, I've always liked the 1997 VHS cover that you aren't very fond of. I had that myself so I suppose it's nostalgia but I liked the layout of the characters, how Maleficent was featured front and center, and the castle looming in the sky.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:When I think about it, considering how old the movies are, is there any point to having the Walt-era movies in 4K? Don't the Blu-Rays for most of them look and sound the best they can for movies that are 50-70 years old?
Age really has nothing to do with it. If anything, all the pre-Rescuers Down Under WDAS films could potentially look even richer and increasingly organic than the later CAPS films in 4K as there might very well be more visual detail captured in those 35mm film negatives than can be obtained on a 2K digital intermediate (as in the later films.)

If you attended a screening of Snow White, properly projected on a huge screen back in 1937 you would have been experiencing the film in a state comparable to today’s 4K. (Some argue that even 4K scans fail to capture the full resolving ability of 35mm film.) Of course back then there was no such thing as digital projectors or the 4K standard, but you must understand that all 4K tries to do is to make a movie look as faithful to its original film elements as possible.

So yes, even an ancient black and white silent film from 1910 can benefit from 4K.

Hope this helps. :-)
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Jules wrote:
Hardbackyoyo wrote:When I think about it, considering how old the movies are, is there any point to having the Walt-era movies in 4K? Don't the Blu-Rays for most of them look and sound the best they can for movies that are 50-70 years old?
Age really has nothing to do with it. If anything, all the pre-Rescuers Down Under WDAS films could potentially look even richer and increasingly organic than the later CAPS films in 4K as there might very well be more visual detail captured in those 35mm film negatives than can be obtained on a 2K digital intermediate (as in the later films.)

If you attended a screening of Snow White, properly projected on a huge screen back in 1937 you would have been experiencing the film in a state comparable to today’s 4K. (Some argue that even 4K scans fail to capture the full resolving ability of 35mm film.) Of course back then there was no such thing as digital projectors or the 4K standard, but you must understand that all 4K tries to do is to make a movie look as faithful to its original film elements as possible.

So yes, even an ancient black and white silent film from 1910 can benefit from 4K.

I wonder why Disney didn't take that opportunity with Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians, then. Now I'll have to wait several more years for 4K versions of them. :(
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:
Jules wrote: Age really has nothing to do with it. If anything, all the pre-Rescuers Down Under WDAS films could potentially look even richer and increasingly organic than the later CAPS films in 4K as there might very well be more visual detail captured in those 35mm film negatives than can be obtained on a 2K digital intermediate (as in the later films.)

I wonder why Disney didn't take that opportunity with Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians, then. Now I'll have to wait several more years for 4K versions of them. :(
Because restoring them takes a lot of effort and it is expansive. Unlike digital films which only need an upscaling job, meaning probably pressing a button and letting the computer do the rest. Disney might not think that restoring these older films is worthwhile.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Damn I thought this guy just had insight in NEXT summer's signature release but nope! 5 releases in 1 year. LOL I'll def pick up Dalmatians but skip SB since the Best Buy Diamond cover is gorgeous and perfect. I guess they want to knock them all out ASAP.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Omg, I LOVE the Sleeping Beauty 1997 VHS cover! It's my favorite for Sleeping Beauty! It's partly nostalgia, but I genuinely think it's great! I grew up in the 90's and watched the initial Classics VHS borrowed from the library. I had "pink" and "blue" fights with my cousin. Then one day we went to borrow the movie and the library didn't have it. I went years with only books and movie previews showing me what Sleeping Beauty looked like to assist my too-young-to-remember-much memory. Then it came out again in 1997 and I obsessed over the cover art. I drew it almost every day in the summer leading up to fall, when it finally came out. I loved the composition, which I must admit is an unusual one, but one I think works absolutely wonderfully. Like JeanGrey said, I love how prominent Maleficent is, dominating the composition, with only Aurora second to her. I love her expression and her pinkish purple colors. Then she's balanced out by her dragon form in an awesome ombre effect pinkish purple and orange stomache. Phillip is perfectly in the middle and Aurora perfectly connects everyone on the bottom appropriately sleeping with her star-motifed blanket and off-model bangs, which I actually also love. The fairies each have a different, unique magic sparkle on their wands, and I just love how they are equally prominent up top. And the whole thing is just drawn well. The cover is only second in awesomeness to the Sleeping Beauty 1997 laserdisc and widescreen VHS with the huge Maleficent encompassing Phillip awakening Aurora.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm hoping for better covers for the steelbook and the digipack. They really should just use Eyvind Earle's art and that's it.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Wow, I didn't know so many people loved the 1997 VHS cover art. What I don't like about it is the fact that Aurora is off model. I love the Widescreen VHS, I think that is one of the best cover arts for Sleeping Beauty.
ToyStoryFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ToyStoryFan »

I also loved, loved, loved the 1997 cover. I was a little kid and that cover completely entranced me. I knew I just had to see that movie. I remember Sam's Club had a massive cardboard cutout display of it as well and it seemed like the most magical thing on earth.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

For anybody who owns Pinocchio on Digital, does it come with the Cine-Explore feature as a digital bonus feature? I've heard it's an iTunes exclusive but I don't own it so I can't verify it.
ImageImage
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

JeanGreyForever wrote:For anybody who owns Pinocchio on Digital, does it come with the Cine-Explore feature as a digital bonus feature? I've heard it's an iTunes exclusive but I don't own it so I can't verify it.
It is an iTunes exclusive.

Regarding the Sleeping Beauty covers, the 1997 Deluxe Edition Laserdisc / Widescreen Edition VHS is probably the best for home media (so much so that it was the Best Buy exclusive slipcover), but my favorite for sentimental reasons will always be the 1986 VHS. Another contender is the gorgeous art on Mondo's recent steelbook.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

But in the 1997 cover only Aurora's hair is off-model!

Escapay, I appreciate nostalgia and favorite love for a cover, but personally for me, I don't like the Classics cover because Aurora in her bed is somehow floating on the stairs, what? And she and Phillip are badly drawn. But I like Aurora in purple between the pink and the blue. The mondo cover is drawn badly, but it's composition and idea are gorgeous!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Ummmm I'm sorry but WTF with the Sleeping Beauty cover ?! The film has always been solid with its covers ( personal favourite is the back to back of Aurora & Maleficent whilst Aurora is in her Briar Rose dress ).

I would be so bold as to say it's the most beautiful Disney film of all time .. simply using a screen cap of the bloody castle would be better than what they've gone for :roll:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Escapay wrote:Another contender is the gorgeous art on Mondo's recent steelbook.

Albert
:jawdrop:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Escapay wrote: It is an iTunes exclusive.

Regarding the Sleeping Beauty covers, the 1997 Deluxe Edition Laserdisc / Widescreen Edition VHS is probably the best for home media (so much so that it was the Best Buy exclusive slipcover), but my favorite for sentimental reasons will always be the 1986 VHS. Another contender is the gorgeous art on Mondo's recent steelbook.

Albert
Thanks for confirming!

That's my favorite Mondo piece for Disney. I love how prominent Maleficent is and how her cloak transitions to flames and thorns while she envelops Phillip and Rose. It's so refreshing to see a pose that isn't the iconic kiss and for Aurora to be depicted as Briar Rose.
Atlantica wrote: I would be so bold as to say it's the most beautiful Disney film of all time .. simply using a screen cap of the bloody castle would be better than what they've gone for :roll:
I don't think it's bold at all to say that. :) Just the fact that everyone here is going on about how beautiful the cover art for this film is a pretty strong indicator of that.
ImageImage
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Atlantica wrote: I would be so bold as to say it's the most beautiful Disney film of all time .. simply using a screen cap of the bloody castle would be better than what they've gone for :roll:
I don't think it's bold at all to say that. :) Just the fact that everyone here is going on about how beautiful the cover art for this film is a pretty strong indicator of that.[/quote]

If it's not the most beautiful it's definitely in the top 3 (IMO):

1. Fantasia
2. Sleeping Beauty
3. Alice in Wonderland
4. Pinocchio
5. Tangled
6. Bambi
7. Moana
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Somebody should make a thread about that, pikachufan. I think my top 5 would be:

1. Cinderella
2. Pinocchio
3. Sleeping Beauty
4. One Hundred and One Dalmatians
5. Bambi

If I had to make a list including all the films--and even worse if I had include non-Disney animated films--I'm not sure if I could ever come up with a list I'm 100% certain about.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that, while Cinderella has more cartoony characters like the mice and the stepsisters who look as if they belong in a totally different movie and isn't filled to the brim with detail the way Pinocchio and especially SB are, the designs are the most beautiful of any Disney film for me. And I love the animation of Cinderella and Lady Tremaine, how regal and graceful they move, how they practically seem rotoscoped they're so realistic, only without all the trappings of rotoscope (Anastasia).
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sleeping Beauty has always been number one for me.
1. Sleeping Beauty
2. Bambi
3. Fantasia
4. Cinderella
5. Snow White

If I put only digital traditionally animated films then:
1. The Princess and the Frog
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. Pocahontas

CGI:
1. Tangled
2. Moana