Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:The flimsy pretense of enthusiasm some posters suddenly feel the need to display for this movie in order to cover up their outdated, racist views is laughable imo.
Disney's Divinity expressed how much he loved the film way before the news of Halle Bailey broke. Also, vagueing about other members so you can attack them is not permitted. Especially when it's unprovoked. Please refrain from doing so in the future.
Wow. Well, I’m glad the moderators actually reacted to the trolling and personal attacks--for once. Not that anything JeanGreyForever or Duster would say is surprising anymore. No low is too low for posters like them, angry at anyone who doesn't worship a bland movie they love like Cinderella. I guess posting all the unpopular opinions I've been attacked over in my signature sent them off the deep end again. As far as racism, take a gander at some of the things you two have said about TP&TF and Tiana over the years before lecturing anyone else. Clearly I was correct for putting them on block a couple of months ago if they're still sniping at me even when I never acknowledge them. Thankfully, they can't steal my joy if I don't let them. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

Aladdin's total has jumped up to nearly $923 million. :D I guess I wasn't wrong to suppose it would at least hit $940-60 million when all is said and done. Perhaps they will come close enough to reaching a billion that a theatrical Sing-a-Long re-release later in the year might put it over the finish line if it doesn't make it there by the end of this month.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

I'm guessing Lion King is going to steal Aladdin's limelight and cause it to stall.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

In the Swedish dub of the animated Aladdin Jafar was voiced by the original swedish Phantom who was the first Swedish person to play the title rolei n the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

He never did another voice role ever agian sadly.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:Disney's Divinity expressed how much he loved the film way before the news of Halle Bailey broke. Also, vagueing about other members so you can attack them is not permitted. Especially when it's unprovoked. Please refrain from doing so in the future.
I would say Disney's Divinity's response was also attacking, saying "no low is too low" for certain members, so please chastise him as well.
Disney's Divinity

rodis wrote:I'm guessing Lion King is going to steal Aladdin's limelight and cause it to stall.
Probably, but it still has the rest of the week and most of the next before TLK comes out. Fingers crossed.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We Got This Covered has been told by sources close to the studio that Disney is developing an Aladdin 2. From what we understand, much of the cast from the first film is expected to return but given that the project is only in the earliest stages of development at present, it’s unclear whether Guy Ritchie will be back to direct the sequel. Our sources say that the plot will follow closely to The Return of Jafar though, the straight-to-video follow-up to the animated flick released in 1994.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ala ... nt-disney/
Q: Should we put any weight on this?

Skyler Shuler: No.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 5831760896
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I never thought The Return of Jafar had a bad plot, which is why this wouldn't bother me--although it was still a cheapquel. I would enjoy seeing Aladdin and the Sultan have more interaction, which was a part of TRoJ, since I like the live-action Sultan more than the animated one. I still wonder about the music. I guess Menken will finally get to do a new soundtrack? :!: Since I doubt most (if any) of the cheapquel's songs would be used. "Forget About Love" was always my favorite from TRoJ. I thought it had a pretty melody despite Gilbert Gottfried. :lol: And for me Liz Callaway >>> Lea Salonga. Anyway--Iago's heel turn is the best thing about the sequel and series. The Iago in the live-action film is pretty much a non-entity though, so how could that work?

If they were to consider making this into a long-running property like Pirates of the Caribbean, I'd love if they'd use Mozenrath from the series in the future. I preferred Mirage, but Mozenrath was definitely the favorite villain of the series to most and I could see him working as well as Jafar.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

There are so many ways they can go with that if they took ideas from both the cheapquels and the TV series. They can have Mozenrath as a main antagonist for the second film and then have him take Iago's role from TRoJ in the third and have him redeemed. Then I would like a film that is based on King of Thieves, but since Aladdin and Jasmine already got married, they can switch that to Aladdin and Jasmine expecting a child, which would actually fit better because Aladdin's conflict can be about him worried about being a good father and then dealing with his own father.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:There are so many ways they can go with that if they took ideas from both the cheapquels and the TV series. They can have Mozenrath as a main antagonist for the second film and then have him take Iago's role from TRoJ in the third and have him redeemed. Then I would like a film that is based on King of Thieves, but since Aladdin and Jasmine already got married, they can switch that to Aladdin and Jasmine expecting a child, which would actually fit better because Aladdin's conflict can be about him worried about being a good father and then dealing with his own father.
I'd love to see Mozenrath although I don't know how he would fit Iago's role since Iago undergoes a redemption arc. Perhaps if Mozenrath was an apprentice of Jafar who works to try and free him before realizing how wonderful Aladdin and Jasmine actually are and ends up joining them at the end, but the problem is that this dynamic would have worked better if Jafar had been older. The younger portrayal of the character will just make a youthful Mozenrath feel like Jafar 2.0 so I think Disney is better of going a different route.

The Return of Jafar will be difficult to adapt anyway with a powerless Genie and Iago not being feasible. Likely the only thing it'll have in common is that Jafar will be the big villain. I like your idea of how they could adapt The King of Thieves though.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mozenrath is certainly a good choice for the villain in a potential sequel but I'd rather have Nasira from the video game Aladdin: Nasira's Revenge. It would connect the sequel to Jafar's story with her being his sister and all and it would be interesting to explore their family dynamic. Plus she could function as a mirror image to Jasmine the way Jafar did to Aladdin.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 7c51eda649
Just a quick update. Aladdin has made more than $960 million worldwide and it's speculated that $1 billion is a lock now.
ImageImage
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

To be fair Skyler has already said sequel announcement coming and Guy Ritchie likely not coming back so the only real dismissal is the claim it will be based on Return of Jafar. Which makes total sense given the differences between the animated and live action Aladdins, and how the film ended.

Honestly, I think the only thing we can safely assume from Return of Jafar would be, well, the return of Jafar. Iago won't be a major character given his treatment in this version. Genie is now human, Jasmine is Sultan, Aladdin and Jasmine are married. Even a relatively straight adaptation would need a lot of reworking.

I still think we'll get Jafar returning (the film pretty much set that up with his dialogue) but everything else will be new or heavily modified.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

ChrisLyne wrote: I still think we'll get Jafar returning (the film pretty much set that up with his dialogue) but everything else will be new or heavily modified.
I hope that starts with the character of Jafar himself being heavily revamped.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

'Aladdin,' Not 'Avengers: Endgame' Or 'Toy Story 4,' Was The Hit That Cemented Disney's Summer Box Office Domination
To the extent that Disney's domination was both bigger than anticipated and harmful to the competition, Aladdin is more to blame than Avengers: Endgame. Everyone saw Avengers 4, Toy Story 4, Sony's Spider-Man 2 version 3 and The Lion King coming a mile away. However, Aladdin was the big question mark that turned into a leggy four-quadrant mega-smash. Most of the "big" counter-programming of the summer ran smack-dab into that "other" Disney flick that turned out to be even bigger than anyone had anticipated.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... ox-office/
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I hope that starts with the character of Jafar himself being heavily revamped.
I’m sure it will. The Jafar criticism was one of the main ones for the film and, whilst I get what they were going for, being a Genie now will allow him to be bigger, more theatrical (more Freeman like) without being out of place or too over the top for live action. At least that’s my hope!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Aladdin's worldwide total is now $988.8 million. Will definitely hit a billion dollars very soon.

Also only fell 38%, despite "The Lion King" opening this week. I know there was concern on this forum that Disney was cannibalizing themselves and cutting the legs off their releases by opening them mere weeks from each other, but "Aladdin" and "Toy Story 4" have both been holding incredibly well and I'm sure "The Lion King" will follow suit. Disney is seriously owning this summer and once Labour Day rolls around, all of their summer releases will have each grossed over a billion dollars worldwide, which is remarkable. That's not even counting the sensational grosses of "Avengers: Endgame", which opened in late April.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

estefan wrote:Aladdin's worldwide total is now $988.8 million. Will definitely hit a billion dollars very soon.
I better hit the theatre a fifth or sixth time, then.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I think I have one more showing left in me.

Still need to see Toy Story 4 and TLK, but getting Al to a billion takes priority :lol:
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

They are going to include "Desert Moon" as a blu-ray bonus features!!!! :pink:

Special Features
- A Friend Like Genie
- Aladdin’s Video Journal: A New Fantastic Point Of View
- Deleted Song - “Desert Moon”
- Guy Ritchie: A Cinematic Genie
- Exclusive Included With Digital Code – “Speechless”: Creating A New Song For Jasmine
- Deleted Scenes
- Bloopers
- And More!

https://movies.disney.com/aladdin-2019

Press Release:
BURBANK, Calif. (July 25, 2019)— Disney’s “Aladdin,” the thrilling and vibrant live-action adaptation of the studio’s animated classic, lands in homes onDigital in HD, 4K Ultra HD™ and Movies Anywhere on Aug. 27, and physically on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD on Sept. 10. Fans of all ages will enjoy the exciting, humorous tale of the lovable “street rat,” Aladdin (Mena Massoud), courageous and self-determined Princess Jasmine (Naomi Scott) and the larger-than-life Genie (Will Smith) with all-new bonus features. The release of the live-action adventure coincides with the addition of the original animated classic to the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection — granting “Aladdin” fans everywhere the opportunity to own both magical movies.

Extras explore elements of “Aladdin” that audiences adore, from the film’s treasured, iconic award-winning music to its beloved characters and their hilarious antics on and off screen. Viewers get the first look at an all-new song “Desert Moon,” deleted from the final film, written by eight-time Academy Award® winning composer Alan Menken and Oscar®-and Tony Award®-winning songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (“The Greatest Showman,” “La La Land”). Features document Guy Ritchie’s joyful, easy-going approach to directing that led to movie magic; Will Smith’s fresh take on the infamous shape-shifting blue entity confined to an oil lamp; Naomi Scott’s powerful performance as the spirited princess who yearns to lead the people of Agrabah; and the indescribable feeling of playing Aladdin chronicled personally by Mena Massoud. Deleted scenes and a blooper reel round out the fun.

In addition, early owners of “Aladdin” gain access to exclusive bonus features. Fans who pre-purchase will receive a feature showcasing the making of the massive musical number “Prince Ali,” and those who bring home the film first on Digital will secure an exclusive extra detailing the creation of Jasmine’s new song “Speechless.”

“Aladdin” is sure to become an instant classic for viewers of all ages and will be packaged several ways to ensure the entire family gets the most out of its in-home entertainment experience. The film arrives two weeks early on Digital 4K Ultra HD and HD. A Digital bundle, which includes both the Walt Disney Signature Collection edition of the original animated classic “Aladdin” and the live-action adaptation, is also available for early purchase. A physical copy of the film will be released as a 4K Ultimate Collector’s Edition (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and Digital Code), a Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray and Digital Code) and a single DVD.

Bonus features include*:

DIGITAL PRESELL BONUS:

· MAKE WAY FOR PRINCE ALI– Take a look at the gigantic design extravaganza that came together for this scene of Genie-sized proportions.

DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE BONUS:

· “SPEECHLESS”: CREATING A NEW SONG FOR JASMINE– Follow the story of Jasmine’s inspirational song “Speechless,” written by Alan Menken, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul especially for this version of “Aladdin.”

BLU-RAY & DIGITAL BONUS:

· ALADDIN’S VIDEO JOURNAL: A NEW FANTASTIC POINT OF VIEW- Watch behind-the-scenes moments captured by Mena Massoud (Aladdin) in this fun, fast-paced look at his personal journey.

· DELETED SONG – “DESERT MOON”- Experience a moving duet performed by Jasmine and Aladdin, fully shot and edited, with an introduction by Alan Menken.

· GUY RITCHIE: A CINEMATIC GENIE- Discover why director Guy Ritchie was the perfect filmmaker to tackle this exhilarating reimagining of a beloved classic.

· A FRIEND LIKE GENIE – Discover how Will Smith brings talent, experience and his own personal magic to the iconic role of Genie.

· DELETED SCENES

o Falling Petals Into OJ

o Jafar’s Magic Orrery

o Anders’ Gift

o Wrong Wishes

o Silly Old Fool

o Post Yam Jam Debrief

· BLOOPERS– Laugh along with the cast and crew in this lighthearted collection of outtakes from the set.

· MUSIC VIDEOS

o “Speechless”– Music video performed by Naomi Scott

o “A Whole New World”– Music video performed by ZAYN and Zhavia Ward

o “ A Whole New World” (“Un Mundo Ideal”)– Music video performed by ZAYN and Becky G.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

Product SKUs: 4K Ultra HD (4K UHD+Blu-ray+Digital Code), Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray+DVD+Digital Code), Digital 4K UHD/HD/SD, DVD and On-Demand

Feature Run Time: Approximately 128 minutes

Rating: PG in U.S. (bonus material not rated), PG in CE, G in CF

Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1

Audio: UHD Blu-ray = English Dolby Atmos; English 2.0 Descriptive Audio; Japanese, Spanish, French, German & Italian 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus; French-Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital

Blu-ray = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, Spanish and French Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital

DVD = English, Spanish & French 5.1 Dolby Digital; English 2.0 Descriptive Audio

UHD Digital = English Dolby Atmos (some platforms); English, Spanish and French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

HD Digital = English, Spanish and French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

SD Digital = English, Spanish and French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

Languages/Subtitles: UHD Blu-ray = English SDH, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian and French-Canadian

Blu-ray = English SDH, French-Canadian and Spanish

DVD = English SDH, French-Canadian and Spanish

Digital = English SDH, French-Canadian and Spanish

Closed Captions: English (DVD and Digital)