Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:I just found, and love, this interview from Ilene Woods. Anyone know when it was recorded? 2012 like the site says it was published?

Ilene Woods Working with Walt
It's an interview that the Walt Disney Family Foundation recorded circa 2000/2001, as it's the same style as the interviews used in the 2001 documentary Walt: The Man Behind the Myth. Woods is not featured in that documentary, but these clips are part of the interactive offerings at the Walt Disney Family Museum, usually through a scrollable screen of different topics for particular films. I think portions of this are used in the 1950s room, as it has a few booths where you can scroll through video clips for both the animated and live-action films of the decade. There are two more clips posted by the Walt Disney Family Museum account:

Ilene Woods Talks Cinderella: Walt's Love for the Character

Ilene Woods talks Cinderella: Voice Over Recording

Both my visits to the museum in 2016 and 2018 were unfortunately too brief for my liking (just a couple hours each), so I couldn't peruse through all the clips in each room. Plus, all the artwork and other artifacts in each room are worth the visitors' attention as well.
farerb wrote:I have a question - I know that sometimes Disney screen films at local theaters and such and I was wondering if anyone has seen Cinderella and can tell what the DCP looks like and if it resembles the blu ray? I know that Beauty and the Beast has a DCP that looks nothing like the blu ray and I was wondering if Cinderella might be the same case.
From fall 2015 to winter 2016, CineMark Theatres offered a special "Disney Screen" programming block where, every week, four Disney films were presented that shared a common theme (stuff like "Princess Week" or "Animal Week" or "Page to Screen Week"). Surprisingly, this programming block was only offered in six cities around the country, but fortunately for me, Orlando was one of those cities. (I suspect being right by Walt Disney World helped.) Across the year-and-a-half that this block was offered, I saw 30 Disney films ranging as early as Dumbo (1941) and as late as Tangled (2010). I went to a screening of Cinderella in October 2015 during the "Page to Screen" week, and its theatrical presentation was the same as the 2005 and 2012 home media releases. Likewise, the theatrical presentation of The Sword in the Stone during another week was the same, smeary transfer that's on the Blu-Ray. Beauty and the Beast wasn't offered on Disney Screen until late in its run, as it had been vaulted until the September 2016 Signature Collection came out. For the two themed weeks that it finally did appear (one week in October and another in November), it was the superior DCP that differed from the Blu-ray.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh my God, thank you Escapay for your responses! I am so incredibly happy to see hear what Ilene said, and glad to know what kind of restoration Disney chooses to show the film on at theatres, though I am also sad it's not a better one.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thank you, Escapay. Now I'm glad I didn't go to see Cinderella at Cinema when I had the chance. Too bad Disney never saw the need to make a new restoration for the film. This is not how they should treat a film that has just entered the NFR.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Here's some concept art:
15 Pieces Of Concept Art For "Cinderella" That Are Truly Beautiful
https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/i ... wjGlwMGLLm
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you Amy! I never knew Mary Blair made a concept for the castle that looks exactly like the shot in the film!
blackcauldron85

You're welcome! The picture of Cinderella's step family stu k out to me, because of how different they look (the sisters have cute dresses!), and Pic #15 because the top left pic reminds me of Aurora.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I would have loved to see that Aurora-looking design for Cinderella, as long as the rest of the designs followed suit! I mean, I prefer the one we got, but I really love that Aurora-like one! Her hair, her crown, her dress!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Here's some concept art:
15 Pieces Of Concept Art For "Cinderella" That Are Truly Beautiful
https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/i ... wjGlwMGLLm
The picture of the coach and the one of Cinderella and the Prince by the fountain are particularly beautiful.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

6 Enchanting Cinderella Facts Fit for Royalty
https://d23.com/enchanting-cinderella-f ... t-royalty/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I didn't know the other mice had names... Now to figure out which name fits which mouse. :?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for the cool facts Sotiris!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

blackcauldron85

That is super neat!!! Thanks for posting it! I wish there were more videos that exist about effects animation; I think it's pretty interesting!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You're welcome! Yeah, I think it's really interesting, too! I am surpried they didn't use when Tiana goes from frog to princess, though. It matches what Cinderella's was about more, and the effects are more swirly and sparkly there like Cinderella's I think, too.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I finally watched the In Walt's Words: Envisioning Cinderella feature, and I am fully impressed and happy! It was like an audio commentary Cinderella finally got, but even better! And I got pencil animation of Cinderella's transformation, so THANK YOU DISNEY!!! I am also glad Walt revealed Cinderella is indeed looking at how pretty and amazing everything is at the ball when she gets there. I always wanted that to be what she is doing when she gets to the ball instead of being "lost", because her looking at and loving everything is what I would do!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I never knew this. Milt Kahl really was the best.

http://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/2019/08 ... -know.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I didn't know it either. Really interesting.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's cool to know, thanks Sotiris! Milt Kahl actually kind of was the Disney style, amazing!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't know where else to post this, but I bought the Cinderella Fairytale Designer dolls from eBay. So that's Cinderella in a silvery blue gown and Prince Charming in black and red and gold, and Cinderella in her pink gown and Lady Tremaine in dark blue and mauve, with Lucifer. I love them so much! Cinderella's hair color is about right in the at the ball doll, but is really right in the dress-tearing doll. And you know, I had not wanted her dress to be torn when I first saw it in pictures online when it first came out, but I actually really like it now. I like how it is a doll but it tells the story. The little Lucifer is a little too small, but is so cute! The embroidery and patterns are absolutely gorgeous. Cinderella's at the ball hair is slightly messed up but I'm not gonna buy another one just because of that. It kind of makes it unique and like it's mine. The main reason I finally got the dolls, which I thought were nice but not must-haves at first, was because I realized the three-tiered train in the back of Cinderella's at the ball gown might be them trying to give Cinderella a historically accurate bustle, which I love. So I'll always think that's what it's supposed to be.

Also, I wanted to say more about the "In Walt's Words" feature on the Cinderella: Signature Collection. It was very interesting to me to hear that Walt said Cinderella wanted "to be like other girls and get what all girls want" or something and go to proms, meet a man, and fall in love. That was what detractors for this film said Cinderella wanted, and that it was bad because that's so not feminist or empowering. I always thought Cinderella wanted to go to the ball, which only later did I realize is like a prom, but also get a better life. I also thought she did want love. So I don't know, I was just disappointed Walt said, and put into the film, what everyone said was bad for Cinderella. But there's nothing wrong with Cinderella wanting to go to a party, or fall in love. I actually like that. Believe it or not, some real girls have that as their main desire. At least, I know one person whose biggest dream is for love, which is wonderful. :wink: I was also surprised to hear Walt and the storymen did indeed make Prince Charming into not really a character but a symbol of what all women wanted, on purpose, and when a storyman said there is no "wooing" of Cinderella by the Prince, Walt didn't say there needed to be. I think that was a mistake. Almost every version of Cinderella that isn't Disney's, hell even if they are Disney's with the 2015 film, tries to improve on this aspect by making Cinderella's Prince more of a character and have a better romance with Cinderella. I feel like if they developed the Prince and his romance with Cinderella, and did less of the animals, this would be a much better movie.
blackcauldron85

Plenty of people wish for love...there's nothing wrong with that. After her dad passed away, she only had love from the animals, so it's a worthwhile wish. And she had no fun, outside of the animals, so going to a ball was the highlight of her life, you know? The one thing she had to look forward to. No issues with that. They should cut this girl some slack!