Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, JeanGreyForever. Hm, ok Mooky, maybe we just got different feelings from the mice, but all I can recall the mice doing is getting talked to by Ella (is that that sickening, cloying part?), which isn't really what they do, all they really do is eat, almost get eaten by Lucifer, Gus has a hard time climbing up a table 'cause he's fat, Jacqueline smacks Gus's hand as he reaches for her food, they dance in Ella's room as she writes about Kit (is that the sickening, cloying part?), they try to tell Ella she can be saved by people downstairs, and then they open Ella's window. None of that really seems sickeningly sweet to me.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

True. I think the mice in the animated film are the most annoying characters, especially Gus.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Music videos for the Latin American and Brazilian versions of "Speechless", both performed by Isabela Souza.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Seeing it this afternoon, I believe. :dance: I'm going to try to walk in with no expectations at all.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

Saw it yesterday evening. I loved it! I’d put it about even with B&tB. I have a feeling they'll always be swapping back and forth in my head when it comes to which I like more. I’d put them both below The Jungle Book still.

***SPOILERS***
The only musical number I was disappointed with was “One Jump Ahead.” It was anticlimactic and nowhere near as much fun as it should've been, about like “Be Our Guest” in the live-action B&tB. "Speechless" was just okay, although Jasmine overall is so much better than in the animated film; I always sort of hated the character in the original film and this was a huge improvement. Mena had a weaker voice than I expected. Like Emma Watson, he talk-sings through most of it, but, also like her, he was perfect casting for the character otherwise. Will Smith was great as Genie, but that didn’t surprise me. The only real surprise was that Jafar and Iago actually weren’t bad. After all the worrying over the character, Kenzari gave a good performance, imo; I liked that they made his backstory so similar to Aladdin's, and that he stole the lamp from him like a common thief in the marketplace. I only wish his staff had looked better. Rajah, Abu, and the Magic Carpet were all perfect, imo--thankfully the Magic Carpet didn't look as weighed down during the flying scenes in the movie like he did on the poster :lol: --and the addition of a handmaid for Jasmine and love interest for Genie was a good decision. The climax had as much tension as the original's, even if it was almost entirely different. I could feel Jafar as a threat, and that either Rajah or the Sultan might die during the takeover. Massoud did a great job when he was banished to the ends of the earth and I didn't feel like the movie was missing "Prince Ali (reprise)." I thought I'd read the Sultan was supposed to die in the film for Jasmine to become Sultana, but I like the way they handled it here anyway. And I liked how they ended with Aladdin stealing Jasmine’s mother’s bracelet to force her to come after him again. That was cute. I'll definitely pick it up on Blu-ray.

I don't think I'll see TLK in theaters, but who knows. I doubt I'll enjoy it as much going by the previews. And I'm sure TLM will be even worse. I am looking forward to Mulan so far.
DisneyFan97 wrote: The Sultan was very well played. But i wishhe was older. Really miss Jago. Nomin and Mena are very good singers.
Good point. I thought the Sultan was well-done here, too. He's another character I never liked in the original either.
Agrabah looks really impressive and the costumes are great . Jasmine has some fabulous dresses.
I agree. Especially when Aladdin breaks into the palace, he looks really cute in whatever it was he was wearing. Naomi Scott is beautiful and Jasmine's outfits here are all better than the animated character's green outfit.
D82 wrote: I don't think "Speechless" feels so out of place among the rest of the songs either. I agree that it has a more pop sound compared to the others, but the original songs have also been modernized for this film, and "Friend Like Me" includes hip hop. At first, I didn't like the song much either precisely because it sounded too pop, but I soon fell in love with it when I heard a longer snippet and now I don't mind that at all.
That's true--most of the songs have been given more of a pop or R&B flavor.
nomad2010 wrote: I’ve read through most of the reviews, and I’m going to be honest, this is one of the most unfairly reviewed films I’ve ever seen. Most of them that are negative focus on how there is no point in this film existing. Instead of reviewing the movie at hand, they’re too busy comparing it to the original and questing it’s existence. And honestly, if one movie tries hard to capture the originals essence, it’s this. You can tell watching it that it was made with love and care whether you like it or not. So for it to be degraded by some of these critics to the level that it has been, it shows they aren’t doing their job correctly.
Yes, I think Aladdin is bearing the brunt of anger over the existence of the remakes at all. Aladdin itself is a great film. No, not as good as the original, but it's its own thing.
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

I saw it last week and I really liked it too! More than I expected to be honest, I liked it better than Beauty and the Beast. I think that's also because I liked the overall look of the sets and design of this movie more than I did with BatB. I agree with the people that said the critics are not being fair with this movie.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I thought I'd read the Sultan was supposed to die in the film for Jasmine to become Sultana, but I like the way they handled it here anyway.
I'd forgotten all about that rumour! I'm guessing someone heard that Jasmine became Sultan and jumped to conclusions, but glad that it played out the way it did. I loved that he made the choice having recognized her as the right leader for Agrabah, and that he put the choice of changing the law into her hands.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Mmmadelon wrote:I saw it last week and I really liked it too! More than I expected to be honest, I liked it better than Beauty and the Beast. I think that's also because I liked the overall look of the sets and design of this movie more than I did with BatB. I agree with the people that said the critics are not being fair with this movie.
The sets haven't been discussed here very much but they were a major improvement compared to the sets of BATB. The production design on that film was ultimately very weak, and even the costumes were a letdown since the most important costume was butchered by Watson's "improvements." In Aladdin, I never even noticed the lack of a throne room despite being annoyed when I first read that would be the cases in the Making of Book before the film's release.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I found the sets and costumes of BatB to be superior. As bad as Belle's yellow dress was, it wasn't every costume Jasmine and Jafar had bad.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I found the sets and costumes of BatB to be superior. As bad as Belle's yellow dress was, it wasn't every costume Jasmine and Jafar had bad.
I liked Jafar's costumes certainly better than the actor himself. Anyone else in those costumes would have been fine.

I liked most of Jasmine's costumes. The marketplace disguise was a great revamp of the animated version. The pink dress is stunning imo and I love the different colors and patterns. I liked her gold dress she wears when Aladdin returns her bracelet because of how understated it is. The yellow-orange one is just okay, I'm not a huge fan of it, but there's lots of love for it on social media and it's considered one of her best costumes.

The aqua one I've grown to like mainly because of the peacock pattern on her veils which are gorgeous imo. My issues with that outfit are her top. There's way too much going on and not in a good way plus there was no reason to conceal her midriff. Especially since most Indian outfits do bare the stomach so they would have been culturally correct but Disney felt it was too revealing. I adore her pink and purple dress even if we only see a glance of it in the actual film and her purple outfit for the climax is one that I didn't care too much for when I first saw it but only because I was comparing it to her lavender dress from the animated film. I've come to love it though and the design is an amazing fit for her.

The wedding dress is just okay imo. I felt the teal elements and especially the pants were really unnecessary, but I love her crown. Actually the dress is fine as a regular dress but it doesn't work as a wedding dress for me. I prefer the Broadway rendition.
ImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I came back from seeing it last night, and really thoroughly enjoyed it !

I would rank it as my second favourite of the live action remakes, after Cinderella.

The sets, costumes, locations were beautiful and fantastically done, and was a thrill to see it on the big screen. Will Smith comes over a whole lot better as the Genie whilst actually watching him, rather than just hearing him on the soundtrack. The leads were lovely, genuine chemistry, and I enjoyed their new / altered meeting. Felt it really worked.

I have to say I was disappointed in 'A Whole New World', felt like it went way too quick, and was very very dark. Even my fiancee sat next to me ( who is no lover of Disney ) said 'Is that it ? Felt like in the original it was way longer ?' Kinda felt like he took her on a spin around the block then came back again :lol:

I felt a little bashed over the head with Jasmine's main mantra of 'I won't be silent' .. I understand it, but it felt like there wasn't that much else to her. Dalia gave her much needed humour, but I didn't feel the 'sass' as it were from the original. That isn't due to her performance at all, she gave the best she got with what she was given. Speechless part 1 fit, but the screaming Part 2 I could have done without.

I loved all the little homages to the original, and did anyone see Carpet creating the Disney sandcastle in the background ? :lol: I loved Carpet too, he had such personality !

I will be buying this on Bluray for sure, thoroughly enjoyable. Well done Guy Ritchie :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I liked Jafar's costumes certainly better than the actor himself. Anyone else in those costumes would have been fine.

I liked most of Jasmine's costumes. The marketplace disguise was a great revamp of the animated version. The pink dress is stunning imo and I love the different colors and patterns. I liked her gold dress she wears when Aladdin returns her bracelet because of how understated it is. The yellow-orange one is just okay, I'm not a huge fan of it, but there's lots of love for it on social media and it's considered one of her best costumes.

The aqua one I've grown to like mainly because of the peacock pattern on her veils which are gorgeous imo. My issues with that outfit are her top. There's way too much going on and not in a good way plus there was no reason to conceal her midriff. Especially since most Indian outfits do bare the stomach so they would have been culturally correct but Disney felt it was too revealing. I adore her pink and purple dress even if we only see a glance of it in the actual film and her purple outfit for the climax is one that I didn't care too much for when I first saw it but only because I was comparing it to her lavender dress from the animated film. I've come to love it though and the design is an amazing fit for her.

The wedding dress is just okay imo. I felt the teal elements and especially the pants were really unnecessary, but I love her crown. Actually the dress is fine as a regular dress but it doesn't work as a wedding dress for me. I prefer the Broadway rendition.
Well, I am glad that you and others really enjoy the costumes. I see why you like Jasmine's. But I the only ones I really liked were Aladdin's, Genie's, and Jasmine's Desert Moon and yes, orange one.
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

JeanGreyForever wrote: In Aladdin, I never even noticed the lack of a throne room despite being annoyed when I first read that would be the cases in the Making of Book before the film's release.
I didn't miss a throne room either! I really liked the ambiance of the sets, they felt more warm and lively that the sets in BatB did I think. Not that that's really weird, since the BatB castle is supposed to be deserted, but still :lol:
Disney Duster wrote:I found the sets and costumes of BatB to be superior. As bad as Belle's yellow dress was, it wasn't every costume Jasmine and Jafar had bad.
I really liked Jasmines costumes, I thought they looked really stunning on Naomi Scott. Except for the orange one, but I'm not really keen on orange, so that's probably just my taste.
Atlantica wrote:I have to say I was disappointed in 'A Whole New World', felt like it went way too quick, and was very very dark. Even my fiancee sat next to me ( who is no lover of Disney ) said 'Is that it ? Felt like in the original it was way longer ?' Kinda felt like he took her on a spin around the block then came back again :lol:

I loved all the little homages to the original, and did anyone see Carpet creating the Disney sandcastle in the background ? :lol: I loved Carpet too, he had such personality !
I agree with you on 'A Whole New World', I was thinking the same as your fiancee. I don't think the original version is longer, but it did felt like it. Why would that be?

I also saw Carpet making the Disney castle, I thought that was very funny!
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Mmmadelon wrote:
Atlantica wrote:I have to say I was disappointed in 'A Whole New World', felt like it went way too quick, and was very very dark. Even my fiancee sat next to me ( who is no lover of Disney ) said 'Is that it ? Felt like in the original it was way longer ?' Kinda felt like he took her on a spin around the block then came back again :lol:

I agree with you on 'A Whole New World', I was thinking the same as your fiancee. I don't think the original version is longer, but it did felt like it. Why would that be?
I think it’s a combination of the new instrumental with the drums in it, and way too many shots in general. There are so many that there isn’t enough time to linger or soak in the scenery and thus it feels like you’re being rushed. If you see a side by side comparison, the original lingers on their faces, has longer shots of such as Jasmine petting the horse or just their eyes connecting as they experience this journey. Another thing is that they go for these big landscape shots, unlike the original which does very well to make their facial expressions visible in most shots. That kills the connection. I think the live action version would have been fine if they’d extended the song like the Broadway version did, added some more intimate shots of them on the carpet and allowed things to breathe, but I agree, as is, it feels very rushed.

And I think they should’ve taken some artistic liberties with the look of the scene and lit it better. I enjoy the fact that they tried to be realistic, but it doesn’t serve the purpose of the song which is all about heightened emotions and it being this big new world they’re exploring. It should look even more magical than reality because it’s Jasmines first time seeing the world. Instead it feels like they took a safari/tour of Agrabah on a carpet and it doesn’t fully emotionally click.

One thing I will say that I like though is that their hair gets messed up and it stays that way. It’s feels like they’re really outside experiencing this.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Growing up, The Lion King was my favotire Disney Animated Movie. Over the years though, I began to appreciat and even prefer it as my favorite animated Disney movie, which I do to this day.

I had low expectations upon seeing it and oh my gosh it is AMAZING!!!

(Spoilers

I honestly like speechless, I've times in my life where others have treated me with no respect, even so called friends. Speechless is a song I"ll listen to for motivation purposes. Overall though I loved it, especially in the reprise visually.

I also loved Arabian nights and the cinematography shots as it panned over the city and even outside the city in the cave of wonders, where Jafar is forcing someone to go into the cave of wonders. Actually, this movie had a lot of amazing cinematography shots.

Also, to address the elephant in the room (no not Abu, but Jafar. Jafar. I've had people say they hate him, or an old threatening man should play him or wasn't evil enough. I feel some people were expecting Jafar to be a carbon copy of the original.
I realize now why Jafar isn't this old evil man. He's a street rat who had ambition but used that to gain glory through nefarious and evil ways.Which, Aladdin did struggle with that living a lie acting like he's a prince and getting smugful bout it. It's because Aladdin had a friend like Genie that helped him see the light. I also love how Aladdin toyed with Jafar's second best when Jafar wished to become an all powerful being. Which, I like this change because I'd think he realize that if you're a genie, um you are confined to the lamp. This "grey area" that Will Smith's Genie and that the details really count when making a wish. So, yes I loved everything about this movie. I've seen it twice already and might go back to see it a third time.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney's Divinity

Mmmadelon wrote: I really liked Jasmines costumes, I thought they looked really stunning on Naomi Scott. Except for the orange one, but I'm not really keen on orange, so that's probably just my taste.

I also saw Carpet making the Disney castle, I thought that was very funny!
I actually even loved the orange outfit.

I must've missed the thing with Carpet.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney has released the full "A Whole New World" song clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eitDnP0_83k
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

nomad2010 wrote: I think it’s a combination of the new instrumental with the drums in it, and way too many shots in general. There are so many that there isn’t enough time to linger or soak in the scenery and thus it feels like you’re being rushed. If you see a side by side comparison, the original lingers on their faces, has longer shots of such as Jasmine petting the horse or just their eyes connecting as they experience this journey. Another thing is that they go for these big landscape shots, unlike the original which does very well to make their facial expressions visible in most shots. That kills the connection. I think the live action version would have been fine if they’d extended the song like the Broadway version did, added some more intimate shots of them on the carpet and allowed things to breathe, but I agree, as is, it feels very rushed.

And I think they should’ve taken some artistic liberties with the look of the scene and lit it better. I enjoy the fact that they tried to be realistic, but it doesn’t serve the purpose of the song which is all about heightened emotions and it being this big new world they’re exploring. It should look even more magical than reality because it’s Jasmines first time seeing the world. Instead it feels like they took a safari/tour of Agrabah on a carpet and it doesn’t fully emotionally click.

One thing I will say that I like though is that their hair gets messed up and it stays that way. It’s feels like they’re really outside experiencing this.
This is a really solid explanation because I also felt that A Whole New World felt super short in the live-action film, despite it obviously being the same length as in the animated film. I didn't even notice that their hair gets tussled so I'll be sure to look for that in my next watch.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Saw it again, and it was hilarious that carpet not only builds the castle (which I did notice first time around), but he also throws sand around it in an arc like the pixie dust in the castle openings of Disney movies! Lol