The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, that girl's work is amazing (her edits of the Wrecked Princesses are stunning and you feel it's like your beloved characters come to life). Yes, Sotiris, it should have been the real cover and it is weird Disney can't get their covers this good. Yes, Divinity, her dress is so beautiful silver. But Kyle, in the movie the dress is silver in the garden at night, so this fan edit is still being more faithful to the movie. Also, her dress is silver when she and the Prince are on the bridge (not their reflections in the water). In the original way it looked before 2005, her dress was also silver when she was at the entrance to the inside of the palace.
blackcauldron85 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:What is foley?
The creation of sound effects. Think hitting coconut shells on the ground for the sound of horse hooves, or shaking aluminum foil for thunder sounds, etc.
Thank you Amy!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Kyle wrote:That edit looks odd to me because at night white/silver would have a blue tint to it.
As Disney Duster pointed out, it's silver even when she's outside for the entire transformation sequence and beyond. It's only blue for some scenes in So This is Love.
Disney Duster wrote:Yes, that girl's work is amazing (her edits of the Wrecked Princesses are stunning and you feel it's like your beloved characters come to life). Yes, Sotiris, it should have been the real cover and it is weird Disney can't get their covers this good. Yes, Divinity, her dress is so beautiful silver. But Kyle, in the movie the dress is silver in the garden at night, so this fan edit is still being more faithful to the movie. Also, her dress is silver when she and the Prince are on the bridge (not their reflections in the water). In the original way it looked before 2005, her dress was also silver when she was at the entrance to the inside of the palace.
It was also silver when she's running down the stairs and loses her slipper but that was changed in the restoration as well. One scene they forgot to change her colors is right when she and the prince first start dancing amongst the entire crowd. When you see the couple's heads popping out over the crowd, as the Tremaines are desperately trying to sneak a peek, Cinderella's colors are normal for those few seconds so Disney didn't bother altering her there.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Lol, it's a mess. But they also left her silver when they start dancing. You know, when they start for the very first time.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

farerb wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:Now that Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians have been released as Movie Club exclusives, do you think they'll get general releases, in the Signature Collection?
The DMC exclusives make me think they'll get a general release and won't be a part of the Signature Collection, but they still might just after the rest will be released.
The thing with 101D (and maybe TJB- I don't have the DMC Blu) is that it's a repackaging of the Diamond Edition. It was the first Blu I watched when I got my first Blu-ray player last year, and...I don't know how to describe it, when you hit 'stop,' the Blu-ray player screen on the TV said "101_Diamond," or something to that effect, so I compared it to the bonus feature list online of the Diamond, and it was the same.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
farerb wrote: The DMC exclusives make me think they'll get a general release and won't be a part of the Signature Collection, but they still might just after the rest will be released.
The thing with 101D (and maybe TJB- I don't have the DMC Blu) is that it's a repackaging of the Diamond Edition. It was the first Blu I watched when I got my first Blu-ray player last year, and...I don't know how to describe it, when you hit 'stop,' the Blu-ray player screen on the TV said "101_Diamond," or something to that effect, so I compared it to the bonus feature list online of the Diamond, and it was the same.
Yeah, it's the same. Which makes me think that Disney still has a lot of copies of the Diamond Edition of both films. That's what makes me think they might repackage the films again for a wider release. But even if they don't, I think they'll be released after Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote: Yeah, it's the same. Which makes me think that Disney still has a lot of copies of the Diamond Edition of both films. That's what makes me think they might repackage the films again for a wider release. But even if they don't, I think they'll be released after Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia.
The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians were the lowest selling Diamond Editions from the stats that were posted here a little while back so that doesn't surprise me. Fantasia and Peter Pan weren't much better but the former has the excuse for having only been out on market for a few months.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Every time Fantasia was released, it was for a very short period of time. I wonder why?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Escapay, I really like your idea. How would you picture the packaging art for this Ultimate Beauty and the Beast collection?
To be honest, I didn't really think about that aspect of the collection. It's a lot of discs, so for practical purposes I wouldn't want some oversized plastic digipak housed in a large case that doesn't do much besides look pretty. I'd probably want it in a comprehensive digibook that uses a similar design to the Walt Disney Archives note card/stationary set. Two discs slotted per page with liner notes and the usual artwork/photos thrown in, to make it both a functional storage piece and a book on its own as well.
Disney Duster wrote:I don"t think I would have authors do the legacy commentary. I don't know who should do a legacy commentary, but maybe like...historians? And the directors and producers?
Historians, directors, and producers are already represented on other commentaries and throughout the interviews as well. I mainly envisioned the "legacy" commentary to be more about how the original film influenced later works, hence having it by the alternative-narrative authors and remake screenwriter.

Ames already explained foley, but for a visual aid: How to Use your Coconuts

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Lol I've seen that Monty Pothy bit before, but it made me smile when you showed me again.

Ok, hm, I just don't know who is best to give a legacy kind of commentary, I guess I felt historians (and pop culturists?) could give commentary on a different subject than they had before, specifically the legacy. But I get why you want it to be the other writers.

I love your packaging idea!

What is the best Beauty and the Beast release? And what is the best Beauty and the Beast making of?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Is there anything in this release to justify how ever many times this has been released to Blu ray?
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

Post by justcuttinhair »

I would like to know the same thing... if this release is a better restoration/print than the Diamond edition then I will splurge...but if not I’ll keep what I have. Does anybody know if Little Mermaid is a better release than the Diamond edition? These releases drive me crazy with the lack of promotion and tech information about them
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This release of Cinderella will have a new audio and visual commentary that gives and shows much information, and no previous release of the film has ever had any kind of commentary. It will also have a fun facts and trivia feature which may be too fluffy, but it will also have a pencil animation gallery! This may show pencil animation of scenes from the film, which we have never had before. This will also port over Diamond Edition bonus features on digital. And yes, there is rumoured to be a better restoration, but we don't know that for sure.

I cannot vouch for The Little Mermaid, any help?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

justcuttinhair wrote:I would like to know the same thing... if this release is a better restoration/print than the Diamond edition then I will splurge...but if not I’ll keep what I have. Does anybody know if Little Mermaid is a better release than the Diamond edition? These releases drive me crazy with the lack of promotion and tech information about them
Bonus feature wise you're better off with the Diamond Edition. The restoration for TLM's Signature Edition is new though. Some people like the new one better, while others prefer the Diamond one. Personally, I prefer the color scheme of the Diamond Edition. It seems more like the original movie and was lauded as the most accurate, whereas the Signature Edition bears a strong resemblance to the Platinum Edition which was heavily criticized upon release as one of the worst transfers.

Here's a YouTube channel featuring five videos comparing the various TLM restorations. You can check for yourself if you prefer the Signature over the Diamond or vice-versa. Also features videos of BATB with the 3D restoration for fans of that.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8oCL ... lmg/videos
ImageImage
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Any news on the video transfer for the upcoming Cinderella???
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Not yet, Marcey. We'll find this out for sure when the film is released.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

https://twitter.com/aladdin/status/1136 ... 25696?s=19

Aladdin is the next Signature Collection.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

farerb wrote:https://twitter.com/aladdin/status/1136 ... 25696?s=19

The ad doesn't say there will be a 4K version.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Thanks for confirming! I'll consider this if there's any new bonus feature that's worth it. I hated how the Diamond Edition ported over the Making Of documentary from the DVD but kept out the transitions and other parts, rendering the full documentary incomplete. I'd rather they not even bother including it this time (which they likely won't going by precedent).
ImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:

The ad doesn't say there will be a 4K version.
Ugh how disappointing. Does Disney have a plan for their physical media? The way they’ve been churning out these Signature releases and DMC exclusives, I’ve assumed that this was Disney’s last hurrah for physical media. But are they going to get me again with 4K releases of Aladdin, Cinderella, etc. later on? Or just never?
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Hardbackyoyo wrote: The ad doesn't say there will be a 4K version.
Ugh how disappointing. Does Disney have a plan for their physical media? The way they’ve been churning out these Signature releases and DMC exclusives, I’ve assumed that this was Disney’s last hurrah for physical media. But are they going to get me again with 4K releases of Aladdin, Cinderella, etc. later on? Or just never?
When it comes to animated movies, I don't have a problem with some catalog titles not being in 4K, because on regular Blu-Ray, they already look and sound great for the most part.