Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by nomad2010 »

Disney Duster wrote:What from the original Beauty and the Beast score was "Evermore" based on?
Sorry I missed your earlier asking that! It’s based on the opening of the Prologue. That’s what you hear at the beginning of the song, and that serves as sort of an underlying basis for the entire composition. It ties it into the original more that way. And I think that Speechless would’ve really benefited from the hat had they gone that route.

Also, am I the only one who hear the guitar in speechless and the orchestrations and immediately thinks Tangled? It sounds pulled straight from that movie.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I’ll say that I didn’t hate Aladdin as much as I hated Beauty and the Beast. It seems that the film is very much made in the same spirit of the original (when Beauty and the Beast just outright despised the original). However Aladdin’s production feels cheap. The set feels really small - the town, the palace. The orchestration wasn’t that impressive. It made Beauty and the Beast look better (I never thought there’ll be a remake that would make me say that but here we are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

Everything else is under a spoiler tag:
They go through the major plot points from the original very fast. For example: Jafar’s first scene is cut and instead we see one of his many attempts to make someone enter the Cave of Wonders briefly during Arabian Nights. Aladdin and Jasmine meet way sooner, like in the first ten minutes of the film. Jasmine introductory scene is when she gives food to a hungry kid. Aladdin saves her sort of, I don’t know, the scene was less intense than the original.

Everything that led Jasmine to leave in the first place is scrapped so it’s not clear why she decided to leave the palace or why that was the only time she left. Her whole deal is not that she feels lonely, but rather that she wants to be Sultan and she’s not allowed. She gets an awful song that probably tries to be Let it Go, but it fails, it doesn’t fit with the rest of the songs of the film and it basically plays in her head so you could cut that song entirely and it would not change a thing.

So a lot of major plot points are rushed, but instead in order to pad the film we get a lot of unnecessary sub plots like Jafar wants to invade a neighboring kingdom, which leads to nowhere. The Genie and Jasmine’s handmaiden, Dalia, develop a relationship, which is cute but still unnecessary.

Jafar was the biggest disappointment, he is not menacing at all, he’s actually really pathetic. The fight against him felt anticlimactic. Instead of having Jasmine and her father captive, ruining the carpet, making Abu a toy, huge sand hourglass, swords, fire, huge snake and them a genie. It’s only a huge parrot chasing after Aladdin and Jasmine and then Jafar freezes everyone and then Aladdin tricks him into becoming a genie, and the way it happened was so ridiculous I was laughing the entire time. Everything feels rushed, like there was no weight to anything.

What I liked about the original is that not only it was funny, but it had a lot of heart and emotion. The remake really lacks it, they mostly focus on the comedy (jams?), But I didn’t feel anything for this film because it doesn’t build tension, it doesn’t build any emotional cathartic moments, mainly because it rushes through the major plot points. It’s just another case of a remake that doesn’t get what made the original good and beloved.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Also:
A Guy Ritchie film... directed by Guy Ritchie. Lol...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

This was worlds better than Beauty and the Beast. Aladdin and Jasmine were both amazing and I was shocked at how much I loved Will Smith as the Genie. The weakest link was Jafar and he even isn't really that bad unless you directly compare him to his animated counterpart. Iago is admittedly wasted in this as a generic parrot but Abu and Carpet make up for that. Rajah's role is pretty minimal but that was the case in the original as well. I was surprised by how much I liked the supporting cast, mainly Dalia and even Hakim. Prince Anders had a bit role, and it was funny enough, but nothing too consequential.I expected him to be more relevant to the plot or at least Jafar's scheme, just like I expected Hakim to be evil so I was pleasantly surprised at his true loyalties.

The songs blew me away on the big screen. Loved the extended Arabian Nights, especially how it showed us all the principal characters. The intro can be considered rushed considering that this song is our only look at Aladdin and Jasmine before they meet each other. It surprised me how they meet five minutes into the movie, but I guess the film is relying on the expectation that the audience is already familiar with all these characters from the original. One Jump Ahead was fun and I loved both reprises. Friend Like Me and Prince Ali were different, but not in a bad way. Friend Like Me was definitely a showstopper and Prince Ali builds to an amazing spectacle. The initial look of the song disappointed me but I was won over after watching the whole thing. The one bothersome line change works in the context of the film as well although I still would have preferred they kept the original. A Whole New World was amazing and my only wish is that it hadn't ended so soon. I agree that Speechless feels a little weird, both musically compared to the rest of the film's songs, and also how it is portrayed at the end as a sequence within her mind, but I still find the song powerful. Also really enjoyed the film's two dance numbers.

Despite what critics are saying, I think this is one of Disney's better remakes and I know I heard a lot of people in the audience were talking about how they had low expectations and thought it would be like Dumbo or Beauty and the Beast but were pleasantly surprised by how much they enjoyed it and how fun it was overall. I didn't think Guy Ritchie was a good choice for this film at all but I guess Disney knew what they were doing when they picked him.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

This was a good example of a Disney remake: Faithful with great twists and changes. Naomi and Mena were perfectly casted and Will was a solid Genie! Iago wasn't as a waste as I thought, but was stripped of his potential. Great voicing job from Alan Tudyk, as usual. The bird chase was so dumb! :lol: As expected, the actor who played Jafar was the weakest link: No presence, no menace. So bland.

As others have said, the beginning was very rushed. I was disappointed in Arabian Nights and One Jump Ahead. I loved the first minute with the Genie and his kids, but the number was so weirdly filmed. It was just following Abu and we barely see the city he's singing about. The way how it transitions from the Palace to the Cave of Wonders was sloppy. We barely saw Jasmine and the Sultan. The credits was so distracting as well. One Jump Ahead was similar. It was so quick we could barely see the action nor the characters (the girls, the "Rather tasty" etc.)

Spoiler about the end: Even though it was rushed ("I want to see the world with you." "I WANT KIDS!" :shock: ), the Genie and Delia were super adorable! :D
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

I cant belive how much I loved this film!
One of the best Disney live-action films ever made with Cindrella. :up:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I liked it. I liked the art direction, the actors, the music and the story, but I don't know, I guess something was missing. I don't know what, but it's missing that special something that made Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book and Cinderella great. But anyways, the actors were great, especially Mena Massoud. In my eyes, he's like Aladdin in the flesh. He looks so much like the animated one, it's scary. Will Smith was awesome, but let's face it, the Genie is the main character in the movie, like in the animation, and he totally stole the show. Naomi Scott was so beautiful, I couldn't take my eyes off her. Her new song, "Speechless" was super nice, but it felt kinda out of place with the old songs. Now, Marwan Kenzari was the biggest suprise. After seeing him in various promotional art and in the different trailer, I was expecting him to be boring and bland, but he was an awesome villain. I'm super disappointed they didn't include his reprise of Prince Ali. I didn't see it on the soundtrack, but a part of me hoped they would at least include it in the movie. But I did hear the melody in the score in the same scene, so I guess that will have to do. "A Whole New World" was my most highly anticipated scene in the movie, because in the animation, it's magical, awesome, beautiful and it gives me goosebumps. After hearing the song on the soundtrack, I was super excited about it, and it didn't disappoint me one bit. It's as magical and as beautiful as the animated one.

But like I said, this remake is missing that special something that made the others great. I gave those 10/10, I will give this one 9/10.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you nomad2010! I will have to listen to the beginning of the animated Beauty and the Beast for that music.
MadasaHatter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MadasaHatter »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^These covers are not bad.

By the way, it seems audiences are liking the film more than the critics. The movie has an A Cinemascore grade, and is exceeding expectations at the box office in its opening weekend.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote:^These covers are not bad.

By the way, it seems audiences are liking the film more than the critics. The movie has an A Cinemascore grade, and is exceeding expectations at the box office in its opening weekend.
I'd noticed that as well. I think the critics' score on RottenTomatoes has dropped below 60%, while the audience score is in the 90's. :lol: Well, it's a film that looks to be largely focused on action and comedy, so the divergence is to be expected, I suppose.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
D82 wrote:^These covers are not bad.

I'd noticed that as well. I think the critics' score on RottenTomatoes has dropped below 60%, while the audience score is in the 90's. :lol: Well, it's a film that looks to be largely focused on action and comedy, so the divergence is to be expected, I suppose.
I’ve read through most of the reviews, and I’m going to be honest, this is one of the most unfairly reviewed films I’ve ever seen. Most of them that are negative focus on how there is no point in this film existing. Instead of reviewing the movie at hand, they’re too busy comparing it to the original and questing it’s existence. And honestly, if one movie tries hard to capture the originals essence, it’s this. You can tell watching it that it was made with love and care whether you like it or not. So for it to be degraded by some of these critics to the level that it has been, it shows they aren’t doing their job correctly.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Wow, that was fast! I didn't expect them to have covers for this one so early on.
MadasaHatter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MadasaHatter »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Wow, that was fast! I didn't expect them to have covers for this one so early on.
The artwork for the Best Buy & Target exclusives have been dropped early, while the films have still been in theaters, for the past several releases including the Marvel and Star Wars films. We've been getting them far in advance of the standard release artwork which is surprising. You'd think it would be the other way around. I've got Captain Marvel, Endgame, Dumbo, Cinderella and now Aladdin (2019) all on pre-order from Target so far. And I DO recommend pre-ordering if anyone is interested in the exclusives. A Lot of the stores tend to get low stock and it goes quickly. I was also in Best Buy the day Thor: Ragnarok was released to pick up the exclusive and overheard one employee telling another that I had gotten the only copy so he couldn't put one aside for him. So you're battling store employees putting them aside for themselves as well as the general public.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I just got back from this and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Granted, I did go in with very low expectations but still. Sure, there were some issues (mostly with the camerawork, staging, and Westernized choreography for some of the songs and scenes, but it's not nearly as bad as the critics claim. I think all of the leads did well, including Marwan Kenzari (Jafar simply couldn't work in live action as his cartoonish 1992 counterpart). I think most people prepared themselves to be let down by the lack of Robin Williams as Genie, and so they went in already hating on Will. And while I certainly enjoy Williams' Genie, I don't love the 1992 film because of him. And with that in mind, Will worked for the most part. I also wasn't a fan of "Speechless." The lyrics are just so generic (which seems to be on par for Pasek and Paul) and the instrumentation doesn't really work for me. But in the end, it's definitely one of the better live-action remakes I've seen and I wouldn't mind owning it once it's released on BD.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I think the critics' score on RottenTomatoes has dropped below 60%, while the audience score is in the 90's. :lol: Well, it's a film that looks to be largely focused on action and comedy, so the divergence is to be expected, I suppose.
You're right. I hadn't checked the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes since the film was released. There's a huge difference between both scores!
nomad2010 wrote:I’ve read through most of the reviews, and I’m going to be honest, this is one of the most unfairly reviewed films I’ve ever seen. Most of them that are negative focus on how there is no point in this film existing. Instead of reviewing the movie at hand, they’re too busy comparing it to the original and questing it’s existence.
After having seen the film, I'm a bit surprised by the critics' score too. I agree that they're probably comparing it to the original and not judging it on its own merits. And maybe they're also getting tired of all these remakes. In my opinion, the animated movie is better in every respect, but that doesn't mean this one is bad. I think it's still quite good. At least, I found it better than the Beauty and the Beast remake.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't know, I actually think the critics are fair with this film, maybe it could have been 65-75. But I think the audience score is a bit too much. Maybe the film isn't utterly crap, but it doesn't deserve a score above 90, especially not more than the original Aladdin.

BTW, I think the remake of Beauty and the Beast should have gotten a lower score than what it has now, from both critics and audience. That film is utter garbage.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I saw the movie last night and REALLY liked it. I had this goofy smile on my face the whole time. I loved how it wasn't the exact copy of the original or constantly tried to recreate the same shots as in the original (only one instance was really noticeable and that was the pull-out shot at the end of "Friend Like Me", with the neon castle glowing and things the Genie conjured on the sides). It had enough originality in it and it had a LOT of heart, something I can't say about most of these live-action remakes.

I liked how they expanded Aladdin and Jasmine's characters, giving them similar yet somewhat different personalities. For example, animated Aladdin is a lot more cocky than the live-action one who has genuine, multiple moments of self-doubt. Jasmine is subdued, doesn't always react hastily or snaps at people, but her change feels more like an organic growth rather than the personality transplant they gave Emma Watson's Belle. Will Smith as the Genie was amazing, truly a great performance that didn't try to replicate Robin Williams' and he really made it his own. Just goes to show what difference it makes to have leads who have natural charisma and can actually sing, and not do stunt casting (yes, I'm still salty about Emma Watson).

I agree with TheSequelofDisney that a campy, theatrical Jafar wouldn't work in live-action. He's probably the movie's weakest link (not bad, just could have been better) and I would have preferred if they made him even more menacing. Still, the fact that he actually murders people makes him a worthy opponent and I liked how his backstory mirrored Aladdin's. Anyone else got some homoerotic vibes from him? To me he seemed more gay than the original Jafar. Maybe I'm projecting lol.

Another thing I liked was the absence of infantile, sickeningly sweet humor and characters (ugly fairies in Maleficent or the mice in Cinderella). They could have done it with Abu but thankfully didn't.

One thing my friend group noticed was that they toned down the sensuality of the original. The balcony kiss is not as steamy as it was in the original, Aladdin and Jasmine are dressed more modestly (so no sex slave red outfit), and there's no kiss with the villain.

The songs and new arrangements were great. "Speechless" is a good song, a bit on the generic power anthem side though, and it did stick out like a sore thumb. (I just realized the song may have been inspired by the "You're speechless I see? A fine quality in a wife" line from the original.) Even my cousin who hasn't seen the original in years noticed it was quite different from the other songs.

I didn't like those random slow-mo sequences, but that's Guy Ritchie for you, I guess.

All in all, I put it in the top tier of these live-action remakes, along with The Jungle Book and Pete's Dragon. I agree with farerb that unlike BatB, Aladdin didn't appear to despise the original film, instead choosing to be a somewhat different yet still a loving take on the original. And I too don't understand the low scores given by critics, especially compared to mediocrity that was BatB. The fact that I'm willingly choosing and looking forward to seeing Aladdin again tomorrow says it all.

7.5-8/10 from me. The original is still 10/10.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:I don't know, I actually think the critics are fair with this film, maybe it could have been 65-75. But I think the audience score is a bit too much. Maybe the film isn't utterly crap, but it doesn't deserve a score above 90, especially not more than the original Aladdin.
I don't think it deserves a score above 90 either, but in my opinion at least it should've been considered "fresh". Around 65-75 seems fair to me.
Mooky wrote:(I just realized the song may have been inspired by the "You're speechless I see? A fine quality in a wife" line from the original.)
Yes, it was inspired by that line. The songwriters have confirmed it in interviews.