Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

My assumption as well is that they'll ignore the 1996 film. Typical of Disney.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The film finally has a release date: December 23, 2020.

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status ... 5358872577
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Doesn't seem like much of a Christmas/holiday movie the way Into the Woods, Mary Poppins, Star Wars, Avatar, etc. are. Unless this is an awards bait film.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Interesting. I've not followed the news regarding this one, but has Emma Stone been confirmed for the part of Cruella?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yes, Emma Stone has been confirmed to play Cruella.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler: Script for Disney’s Cruella is done, and the film is officially in pre-production!

Q: So filming should start soon?

Skyler Shuler: This summer.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 5882821632
Geek Vibes Nation: Disney’s ‘Cruella’ (w/t Lockstitch) looks to begin filming now on July 9 and wrap in November.

The DisInsider: Yes.
Source: https://twitter.com/TheDisInsider/statu ... 5657522177
Discussing Film wrote:Disney’s live-action ‘Cruella’ film will begin filming on July 8th in London.
Source: https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 3649568770
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

‘Maleficent: Mistress of Evil’ Art Director Luke Whitelock Boards Disney’s Live-Action ‘Cruella’ Origin Film – Starring Emma Stone
https://hnentertainment.co/avengers-end ... mma-stone/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The one good thing about Cruella is that there won't be any ugly, sappy CGI fantasy creatures like in Maleficent and Alice in Wonderland.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The role of the Baroness might end up going to Emma Thompson instead of Nicole Kidman. We also have a new synopsis for the movie.
Emma Thompson is in early talks to join Emma Stone in Disney’s live-action movie Cruella, which tells the origin story of 101 Dalmatians villain Cruella de Vil, Collider has confirmed. Craig Gillespie (I, Tonya) is directing from a script by Tony McNamara and Dana Fox. Marc Platt and Kristin Burr are producing along with Andrew Gunn, and Disney will release the movie on Dec. 23, 2020.

Set in London in the high fashion world of the 1970’s, Cruella finds Stone playing a brilliant clothing designer who nonetheless toils as a lowly department store worker. One day, a posh woman known as the Baroness enters the store, wearing Cruella’s special locket that was given to her by her mother — one that Cruella lost on the same night her mother passed away at the Baroness’ estate. She promptly decides she’ll do whatever it takes to get her locket back from the Baroness, including crashing her glitzy ball.

In the original 1961 animated classic, Cruella was a villain obsessed with capturing the titular dogs, and the new film will explain why dogs are so important to the character’s backstory.
Source: http://collider.com/emma-thompson-emma- ... ney-movie/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Wow, this sounds...utterly horrendous. I can detect the revisionism of Maleficent in every sentence here. Has Disney forgotten that Cruella, both in the book and in their various movies, is a rich heiress? She was never a shopkeeper of all things, lor even self-made. It's clear Disney wants to go the underdog treatment with Stone somehow being betrayed/corrupted by the Baroness character who will be the ultimate villain to blame at the end so Cruella can go scott free and be viewed as noble all along.

Maybe Disney will have enough sense so that Cruella was born rich here, hence why her mother was friends with the Baroness, but she ends up losing her immense wealth and the reason for her fall is connected to this locket and the Baroness. By the end of the film, after defeating the Baroness, she'll resume her high place in society, but somehow I doubt Disney will go that route. I wonder why it hasn't dawned on them yet that the reason characters like Maleficent and Cruella are so beloved is precisely because they are evil. Audiences don't want to see neutered versions of them whose "tragic" backstories are responsible for making them do a sorta evil thing once before immediately trying to make things right for the rest of the film.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I didn't know she was always a rich heiress. I hope she was rich, loses it, and gets it back like you said. And yes, come on, some people are just evil when they don't like stuff that happened or want something!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I still think 'Once' did a great backstory for Cruella. I don't think that can be topped at the moment, especially if this is the treatment they are going for :?
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

That new summary doesn't sound good.

Like JeanGreyForever says, just let the villains be villians. That's why people love them.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I dont know...I have always liked the "villain joins forces with the hero to defeat a bigger baddy trope", I think if they wanted a new Dalmatians movie with a more sympathetic Cruella that would have been a better way to do it. This though, this really depends on how its handled. I just cant see an angle were Cruella's cruelty to dogs is given a sympathetic angle unless they imply that its a psychotic/mental illness triggered by past trauma/abuse...which can be very tricky to portray/ b/c then the movie jumps into very dark serious subject matter that doesn't really belong in a big budget Hollywood popcorn family film.

Can you imagine the outrage if they made Gaston or Prince Hans movies and gave them tragic backstories? :milkbuds:
Disney's Divinity

I like Emma Thompson, so it’s not like I’ll be disappointed, but I’d have preferred Kidman.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

unprincess wrote:I just can't see an angle were Cruella's cruelty to dogs is given a sympathetic angle unless they imply that it's a psychotic/mental illness triggered by past trauma/abuse.
The thing is Cruella never hated dogs. She simply loved fur and didn't care which animals or how many of them had to lose their lives to get it. She wanted a black & white spotted fur coat. I suppose she could have tried hunting down snow leopards, but those are much more difficult to come by. Her only mistake (i.e. plot contrivance) was not buying dalmatians from somewhere else when Anita turned her down. No one would have been the wiser if she had.
Disney's Divinity

Ultimately her impatience to have what she wants immediately and her spite in wanting to get back at Anita (because she's a spoiled brat, basically) is where she screws up.

The thing is, you can't really make a movie focused specifically on a character like Cruella unless you alter the character one way or the other. Either you give her some kind of backstory of abuse/trauma or a mental illness that inevitably makes her somewhat sympathetic, or you have to make her even crazier than she was in order to fill a film of her that's supposed to revolve around her being a lunatic. In the latter case, I can picture a story where Cruella (like most psychopaths) exhibits disturbing behavior as a child that terrifies her parents, then grows up even more dangerous and terrifies/endangers the people around her as an adult, etc. etc., but even that would require another lead during the adult half for Cruella to be treated like the villain in a slasher movie. :lol:

But Disney would never have the balls to do that because a film based on a character well-known from a children's film has to ultimately be made with a family audience in mind. Trying to make a movie of her "life" without either a sympathetic backstory or making her more dangerous/crazy than she was would mean a movie only of flashbacks to her acting like a spoiled brat as a child and then a spoiled brat as a teenager in college and then as a spoiled brat as an adult. That wouldn't be captivating enough to make up an entire film, so the only other option is a backstory that ends up humanizing her to a degree.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

unprincess wrote: Can you imagine the outrage if they made Gaston or Prince Hans movies and gave them tragic backstories? :milkbuds:
They sorta did that with Gaston in the live-action BATB, pointing out that he has severe PTSD from his time in the war. But much like everything else in that film, it's something new that is briefly mentioned and never touched up on again, let alone properly developed.
Sotiris wrote: The thing is Cruella never hated dogs. She simply loved fur and didn't care which animals or how many of them had to lose their lives to get it. She wanted a spotted fur coat. I supposed she could have tried hunting down snow leopards but those are much more difficult to come by. Her only mistake (i.e. plot contrivance) was not buying dalamatians from somewhere else when Anita turned her down. No one would have been the wiser if she had.
Agreed. She's a psychopath who doesn't caring about who she harms in order to get what she wants. She sees the puppies as nothing but a source of fur for her coats and her high fashion tastes.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler: Cruella is not connected to the 1996 101 Dalmatians film.

Q: Huh, I thought it was. I remember Glenn Close was an exec producer on it.

Skyler Shuler: She is. Still not connected to that film.

Q: Well, it could be a prequel to the animated movie or the 1996 film.

Skyler Shuler: No, it is not. It’s a re-imagining of the animated.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 2004872192
Disney's Divinity

I thought they said before Glenn Close was involved in some way? :?