Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Tangled: The Series

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for spreading all this knowledge, JeanGrey!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

You're welcome. Tangled would basically be set in between the eras of Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid since the former takes place in the early 1700s and the latter is likely in the 1830s.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yep, very interesting indeed, thanks! and reminds me I really need to pick up the art book for it and Princess and the Frog(too bad the later is out of print.)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I thought that the visual style of the buildings in the film were directly inspired by DisneyLand itself ? I watched that somewhere in an interview with the directors.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, that is also true. Their inspiration for Tangled's architecture was Disneyland. Though they also got inspiration from other sources, like Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy for the castle, which, during some of the design phase, looked good, but in the end...ew.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Yes, that is also true. Their inspiration for Tangled's architecture was Disneyland. Though the also got inspiration from other sources, like Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy for the castle, which during some of the design phase it looked good, but in the end...ew.
I adored the concept art of the castle back during Glean Keane's version. They designed it to look like a classical European castle rather than the Disney-fied version we ended up getting (the former branches out more horizontally, while Disney castles place an emphasis on the vertical, hence why they tower so high up in the air).
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I prefer height to length for castles, but I did like the Glen Keane version better, if it's the picture I'm thinking of from the Art of Tangled. Actually, there's so many pictures, I may be forgetting which was Glen Keane's castle...I just know I saw the castle-on-an-island version with much better towers than the final ones. Kind of typical and bland towers, but better.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I prefer height for castles as well, because they're simply more majestic and awe-inspiring. Disney's Notre Dame is a non-castle example since that too was modified to tower all the way to the heavens and exaggeration of that sort can easily work in animation, unlike real life.

You might mean this concept art of the castle which was very French inspired and had different variations, each depicting the castle in a different time of day.

There's also this concept image which also came from his treatment and I just adore the view. The towering castle on high above an abundantly populated village, with those resplendent bridges and waterfalls is so much more captivating than any visual in the final film. I believe this was back when the subplot featuring Bastion involved him forced into a life of crime with the underworld of the kingdom. Everything at the high levels was supposed to feature the rich and privileged classes, while everything low near the docks was where the criminals lurked so you could literally see the class distinctions between the high and mighty and those fallen to the depths of depravity since crime had drastically increased in the kingdom after Rapunzel's parents stopped caring since their daughter's kidnapping. You can also see the woman dressed in Regency garbed era which is another indicator of what Keane's Rapunzel setting was meant to be like.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/12/c1/07 ... 9843f8.jpg
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I was thinking of the first image. I think I prefer the last picture shape which is close to the shape it was in the final film, but better, and I prefer the towers and spires of those images to the final film ones. That other picture you linked too is awesome! Something like that and the first image together would be wonderful! I love your info on the plot and class details, too!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I really love the castle we got in the end, with the domed topped towers. Really makes it stand out.

Gosh, I would just love an 'Art Of' book for the series. They just got an Emmy for their production design, so it would be lovely to see it celebrated in book form.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Yes, I was thinking of the first image. I think I prefer the last picture shape which is close to the shape it was in the final film, but better, and I prefer the towers and spires of those images to the final film ones. That other picture you linked too is awesome! Something like that and the first image together would be wonderful! I love your info on the plot and class details, too!
That definitely has more of the shape that Disney castles tend to have, but for some reason, I prefer the original design. There's something that is very storybookish about it, but maybe it's the towers and spires you mentioned that make me feel that way because they are much better than what we ended up getting.

I know it's highly unlikely, but I've always wished that if we ever got a Rapunzel live-action remake, it would be based on the Glen Keane version. I feel like there's a lot of realistic elements in the town and village that remind me of Hunchback (aside from the French setting and kidnapped baby being locked away) that could lend well to live-action.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It is very storybookish. I also think the last one in that group is storybookish, too. And yes, I wish, too, Glen Keane would come back and do his version for a live-action Rapunzel. What's almost the same amount of a shame to me though is we never had his painterly 3D version.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:It is very storybookish. I also think the last one in that group is storybookish, too. And yes, I wish, too, Glen Keane would come back and do his version for a live-action Rapunzel. What's almost the same amount of a shame to me though is we never had his painterly 3D version.
Yes, that really bothers me too. The way he described it totally won me over to the style and it's a pity that Disney hasn't bothered with branching out to different types of CGI animation ever since. Paperman's success didn't push Disney either so I hope Spider-Verse winning Best Animated Film will convince them to reconsider especially since so much of the hype was for the visuals.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, I agree, and hope.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Atlantica wrote:I really love the castle we got in the end, with the domed topped towers. Really makes it stand out.

Gosh, I would just love an 'Art Of' book for the series. They just got an Emmy for their production design, so it would be lovely to see it celebrated in book form.
It's such a pretty series. Actually, I think it's the only Disney-film-to-TV-series that has a distinct look like this? Well, Hercules, I guess. There were a couple of episodes of that show that were high quality early on, but the majority of episodes were low quality and were ugly because of it. Whereas the Tangled: Series is prettier than the movie to me....

I like Corona's castle. Not my favorite from a Disney film, but it's not like I would hate any castle. Someone should make a thread to rank all the various castles, palaces, etc.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I agree Disney's Divinity, I think it is the only one. And the quality I think has significantly improved as well from first to second season; if you look at Stallion in Season 1 compared to Season 2, it is quite a marked difference.

The show is certainly gaining traction where it has ( up until now ) been largely ignored by Disney. The 7am time slot is beyond silly, should 100% be moved back to what it was originally. Putting it on the front of that D23 article was a massive coup, and I hope that sort of exposure continues.

I've never loved a Disney show more than this one; currently I prefer watching the show to the original film as it has expanded the world and characters so much ! It was actually quite a shock to see her in her CG form when Tangled was on TV the other day :lol:
Disney's Divinity

I agree about the animation having improved. That's part of the reason the S2 soundtrack cover bothered me, because the season itself was well-animated.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I agree the last few episodes especially were so well animated!
The show is certainly gaining traction where it has ( up until now ) been largely ignored by Disney. The 7am time slot is beyond silly, should 100% be moved back to what it was originally. Putting it on the front of that D23 article was a massive coup, and I hope that sort of exposure continues.
I read somewhere that Disney basically stopped supporting it b/c the ratings did poorly for what they expected and the toys didn't sell as strongly as they were hoping. My fear is that it will make them think that its doing poorly b/c it was done in a 2d style and any future animated film tv shows will use a cheaper-than-the-film CGI style like Elena of Avalor. Of course it had nothing to do with the awful scheduling and hiatuses it received, nope. :roll:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Today my amazing crew members and I celebrated the shipment of the series finale of #TangledTheSeries !!

I don’t know when we’ll see season 3, but I do know that @mercuryfilmwrks is going to create absolute magic out of what everyone I worked with made
Source: https://twitter.com/mbrleigh/status/1127016357885763584
Disney's Divinity

Aw. I'll be a bit sad once it's over. :/