Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:Alan Menken confirms in this other recording from the same event that the second new song created for the movie, which was called "Desert Moon", was cut from it. He also reveals that the reprise of "One Jump Ahead" not only will be in the film, but there'll be a second reprise of the song (If I understood it correctly).
Too bad he didn't confirm if the scrapped song will be in the soundtrack or not. I guess we'll find out soon. Ecstatic though that not only will the original reprise be retained, but we'll gain a new one as well. Super curious about its placement in the movie. Thanks for sharing with us!
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^My pleasure, JeanGreyForever. :)

First Reactions For ‘Aladdin’ Praise Naomi Scott & Will Smith’s Genie Is Let Down By CGI
https://heroichollywood.com/aladdin-nao ... ith-genie/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad that Will Smith's Genie is being well-received after all the fears about his performance and that even Billy Magnussen is being praised in his comic role. Not surprised that Jafar is considered the weakest element of the film. Was hoping I'd be proved wrong but that's unlikely now. Disney's animated villains have been on a downwards spiral lately, but now even their live-action ones (Maleficent, Jafar) have failed to captivate audiences.
ImageImage
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:New interview with Alan Menken. He sings a bit of "Speechless" at this point of the video and explains how the song was created, but doesn't mention any other new song for the remake here either.
Menken confirmed that he and Pasek & Paul influenced each other when writing new material. That's certainly apparent in Speechless. The musical flavor and sensibility of both parties is present resulting in an unconventional yet captivating effect. That blend of style and background really works. It was interesting to learn that Speechless forced the filmmakers to change stuff and add material to make the song feel earned.
D82 wrote:Here's the French version of "Speechless", sung by Hiba Tawaji at the Paris premiere.
I'm in love with this song! :D It's even better in full. I love the bridge. That French singer is excellent. It's hard to believe this was a live performance.
D82 wrote:Alan Menken confirms in this other recording from the same event that the second new song created for the movie, which was called "Desert Moon", was cut from it.
It sounds magical from the title alone. :( I believe this makes it the second cut Menken song with moon in its title, the first one being As Long as There's a Moon. I want to listen to it so badly. I'm afraid it won't even be included on the soundtrack. :cry:
D82 wrote:He also reveals that the reprise of "One Jump Ahead" not only will be in the film, but there'll be a second reprise of the song (If I understood it correctly).
The way he phrased it was ambiguous. I'm not sure if he meant the second reprise was cut too or if it remained in the film. I'm hoping it's the latter.

By the way, there's a new TV spot out featuring a new snippet from A Whole New World.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for sharing that TV spot!
Sotiris wrote:I think the first time the song is heard, it will be short as a reprise and the second time, it will be full-length.
That sounds quite likely. I'd much rather that than the opposite. And now it actually seems pretty much confirmed by the French version.
Sotiris wrote:I doubt it. We would have heard something by now if Jasmine participated in the song.
I thought she would maybe sing just a couple of lines, but you were right. Thanks to nomad2010, we now know she doesn't sing in it.
Sotiris wrote:Not just the demo but the studio recording of it as well. The song was cut late in the game so it must have been recorded by that point.
You were right about that as well. I suspected it must had been recorded, but I wasn't sure.
Sotiris wrote:It sounds magical from the title alone. :( I believe this makes it the second cut Menken song with moon in its title, the first one being As Long as There's a Moon. I want to listen to it so badly. I'm afraid it won't even be included on the soundtrack. :cry:
If it's not on the soundtrack, maybe it's included in the Blu-ray as a deleted scene given that Alan said it was even filmed.
Sotiris wrote:The way he phrased it was ambiguous. I'm not sure if he meant the second reprise was cut too or if it remained in the film. I'm hoping it's the latter.
I think it's in the film. Mena Massoud also mentioned the new reprise the other day in an interview.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:It sounds magical from the title alone. :( I believe this makes it the second cut Menken song with moon in its title, the first one being As Long as There's a Moon. I want to listen to it so badly. I'm afraid it won't even be included on the soundtrack. :cry:
If it's not on the soundtrack, maybe it's included in the Blu-ray as a deleted scene given that Alan said it was even filmed.
If it was filmed, then it's very likely we'll see it as a deleted scene if nothing else. I really hope it'll be on the soundtrack though as well, whenever we end up getting that.
D82 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:The way he phrased it was ambiguous. I'm not sure if he meant the second reprise was cut too or if it remained in the film. I'm hoping it's the latter.
I think it's in the film. Mena Massoud also mentioned the new reprise the other day in an interview.
I'm glad that Mena Massoud confirmed the new reprise is in the film after all. I guess he doesn't mention where it takes place in the movie though.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

According to someone who saw the Paris premiere Jafar does not turn into a snake in the climax of the film.

Real disappointment imo. Not surprised after Maleficent tbh.
ImageImage
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I guess the giant Iago chase through Agrabah replaces snake Jafar. That's the second time the sidekick is transformed instead of the villain.

Disappointed but if it works in context I think I'll be ok with the change. I didn't miss it on Broadway as much as I thought I would so open to seeing what they come up with. For some reason I don't see the transformation as integral to him as the dragon is to Maleficent. Probably because I've watched the stage show more than the animated film in recent years. Was still really looking forward to seeing it in live action.

VERY happy to hear One Jump Reprise is in and getting a second reprise. Gives me hope for Prince Ali Reprise. Got to accept at this point that Proud of Your Boy didn't make the cut though.

Gutted to hear they cut the second new song. Really hope they include it on the soundtrack and give us the deleted scene on the Blu-Ray. Heck, put it over the end credits rather than a cover of AWNW (I know, not gonna happen).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:That sounds quite likely. I'd much rather that than the opposite. And now it actually seems pretty much confirmed by the French version.
Going by the snippet Meneken sang, the preprise will have a softer and more traditional sound to it.
D82 wrote:If it's not on the soundtrack, maybe it's included in the Blu-ray as a deleted scene given that Alan said it was even filmed.
I would be ecstatic if that happened but I trust Disney's home video department even less that their music publishing one so I'm not holding my breath. I've been burned way too many times by them.
D82 wrote:I think it's in the film. Mena Massoud also mentioned the new reprise the other day in an interview.
Thanks for confirming! Some good news, finally.
JeanGreyForever wrote:According to someone who saw the Paris premiere Jafar does not turn into a snake in the climax of the film.
I suspected as much. There were no images or mention of it in the Art of book. Talk about a let down. Who in their right mind would think that a battle with a giant parrot is more climactic and thrilling than with a giant snake? :roll: They sure made certain Jafar remained as boring and flavorless as can be.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

ChrisLyne wrote:I guess the giant Iago chase through Agrabah replaces snake Jafar. That's the second time the sidekick is transformed instead of the villain.
Well, that is disappointing. That said, the Jafar in the live-action film doesn't seem like a character that cackles or speaks with a flair,which would make the scenes of him talking to Aladdin in the climax harder to pull off especially when reduced to voice acting only and animal form.

I'm not as bothered by the second song being cut. The talk about additional songs for the re-makes always comes across a bit odd to me anyway. Most of the original films, particularly the Menken ones, have songs perfectly placed throughout the story to make it hard to imagine how new songs wouldn't be largely superfluous or that they wouldn't just bloat the film. "Speechless" makes sense because, like "Evermore," it gives a song to the love interest. The movie didn't really need another duet between Aladdin and Jasmine, although I'm sure it would've been pretty. It's one thing for a Broadway show to stuff 3-5 new songs in (and even that can be overdone, like with the TLM show), but not a film.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The music video for the end credits version of "A Whole New World", performed by Zayn Malik and Zhavia Ward, has been released. As we suspected, the release of the soundtrack has been delayed. It won't be available until May 22. Disney has released a track list, but curiously, without the track titles. At least we can see how many songs will be on it and who sings them.

Sotiris wrote:Going by the snippet Menken sang, the preprise will have a softer and more traditional sound to it.
You're right, what Menken sang was probably from the first time the song is featured in the film.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

The delay is disappointing but not surprising.

Gonna take a guess that it breaks down like this;

1 - Arabian Nights (Will Smith)
2 - One Jump Ahead (Mena Massoud)
3 - One Jump Ahead Reprise (Mena Massoud) (guessing this is after arrest/separation from Jasmine)
4 - Speechless (Naomi Scott)
5 - Friend Like Me (Will Smith)
6 - Prince Ali (Will Smith)
7 - A Whole New World (Mena Massoud & Naomi Scott)
8 - One Jump Ahead Reprise 2 (Mena Massoud)
9 - Speechless Reprise (Naomi Scott)
10 - A Whole New World (End Credits - Zayn & Zhavia Ward)
11 - Friend Like Me (End Credits - Will Smith featuring DJ Khaled)
12 - Speechless (End Credits - Naomi Scott)
13-37 - Score and Demos by Alan Menken

Loving the number of Menken tracks we're getting. With that amount there must be some demos in there!

So Jafar doesn't sing or turn into a snake this time.

Guessing the demos are Speechless, obviously, probably both versions, the extended Arabian Nights, One Jump's new reprise, and hopefully the cut Desert Moon. Gutted the full version doesn't look to be on there but still holding out hope for the demo.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:The music video for the end credits version of "A Whole New World", performed by Zayn Malik and Zhavia Ward, has been released.

I didn't like it at all. Zayn's serviceable but I'm really not fond of Zhavia's singing voice. She isn't right for this type of genre. Their voices don't compliment each other. The orchestration is unimaginative. Overall, it's a pretty bland, unmemorable, and lifeless rendition. The music video is really cheap-looking as well. What a misfire.
D82 wrote:As we suspected, the release of the soundtrack has been delayed. It won't be available until May 22. Disney has released a track list, but curiously, without the track titles. At least we can see how many songs will be on it and who sings them.
I don't understand why there's been such an issue with the soundtrack. It was up for pre-order, then it was removed. Its release got delayed. Now they're hiding the track list. What the heck is going on? This can't be because of spoilers. We all know what's going to happen and various storybooks and novelizations are already out.
ChrisLyne wrote:Gonna take a guess that it breaks down like this.
That's my guess too. What's the point of hiding the track titles when they're so easy to figure out?
ChrisLyne wrote:Loving the number of Menken tracks we're getting. With that amount there must be some demos in there!
I think it's just the score. Beauty and the Beast had 28 score tracks. I hope I'm wrong but it's clear Disney doesn't care enough about this release to put any extra effort or content for that matter.
ChrisLyne wrote:Gutted the full version doesn't look to be on there but still holding out hope for the demo.
Me too. :x :( What a stupid, loathsome move on their part. I bet it won't even be included on the Blu-ray.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:The music video for the end credits version of "A Whole New World", performed by Zayn Malik and Zhavia Ward, has been released.

I didn't like it at all. Zayn's serviceable but I'm really not fond of Zhavia's singing voice. She isn't right for this type of genre. Their voices don't compliment each other. The orchestration is unimaginative. Overall, it's a pretty bland, unmemorable, and lifeless rendition. The music video is really cheap-looking as well. What a misfire.
Listened on the way home and have to admit I really don’t like it at all. I think they were trying to go for something a bit different but I don’t think either of their voices suited the song. But going off the YouTube comments I’m the old guy stuck in the past as people seem to be really liking it. Doesn’t matter, it’s what’s in the film that really counts. With few exceptions the single versions haven’t done much for me since the 90s. I’d have loved them to get Lea Salonga & Brad Kane back for it, that could have been magical.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

ChrisLyne wrote: So Jafar doesn't sing
I'm not surprised after the rest about Jafar.

Zayn is fantastic. I don't know Zhavia Ward and she's not too good... I do like it more than the Peabo Bryson version though, SNS. I was never fond of it like his and Celine's version of "B&tB"
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The song titles have been revealed in the press release. It's exactly what you guessed, ChrisLyne, but unfortunately the Alan Menken tracks are all score ones.
The Aladdin soundtrack includes "Arabian Nights," "One Jump Ahead," "One Jump Ahead (Reprise)," "Speechless" (Part 1), "Friend Like Me," "Prince Ali," "A Whole New World," "One Jump Ahead" (Reprise 2), "Speechless" (Part 2), "A Whole New World" (End Title), "Friend Like Me" (End Title), and "Speechless" (Full), plus 25 score cues composed by Alan Menken.
Also, more details about the release date:
From Walt Disney Records, the digital soundtrack is set for release on May 21 at 9:00pm PT and will be followed by the physical album on May 24.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Too bad there's no Desert Moon in the soundtrack. I'd love to imagine it'll be in the Blu-Ray but that's honestly even less likely to happen.

Not even surprised about the lack of Jafar singing. I wonder if that was always intended or something they planned after casting Jafar's actor.
ImageImage
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Too bad there's no Desert Moon in the soundtrack. I'd love to imagine it'll be in the Blu-Ray but that's honestly even less likely to happen.

Not even surprised about the lack of Jafar singing. I wonder if that was always intended or something they planned after casting Jafar's actor.
I watched the full Paris press conference, and one of the things Ritchie mentioned was he wanted to be very “sophisticated,” so my guess would be it was a decision made as soon as they knew they were going a less campy route with him. I always thought it was super weird that the little reprise was his only song in the entire film, so I’m not bothered by it. Especially since they’ve given Aladdin himself more meat, which makes sense considering it’s his movie.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

nomad2010 wrote: I watched the full Paris press conference, and one of the things Ritchie mentioned was he wanted to be very “sophisticated,” so my guess would be it was a decision made as soon as they knew they were going a less campy route with him. I always thought it was super weird that the little reprise was his only song in the entire film, so I’m not bothered by it. Especially since they’ve given Aladdin himself more meat, which makes sense considering it’s his movie.
That makes sense, but still it's a pity since it takes away much of the gravitas of the villain. He had multiple songs written for him in the animated film, but all were scrapped for various reasons, such as not fitting the storyline anymore after the plot changed or the makers feeling that it was too late in the film for a villain song. I'm fine with the Prince Ali reprise being removed as well, especially since the entire scene where Jafar confronts Jasmine seems to be different here. Just wish other aspects of his character hadn't been changed for the worst.
ImageImage
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Going of what we know it looks like the Prince Ali Reprise's song moment has been replaced by One Jump Reprise 2 and Speechless Part 2

Best guess is One Jump Reprise 2 takes place as Aladdin saves Abu in the Frozen North and/or as he races back to Agrabah to save Jasmine (which could kind of become a sung action piece as High Adventure was originally planned to be) and Speechless takes place during the "with you as my Queen" moment when Jasmine rejects Jafar. Outside chance One Jump Reprise is when Aladdin is preparing to tell Jasmine the truth (where Proud of Your Boy Reprise is in the stage show).